Author Topic: Skype Interview.  (Read 5433 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Skype Interview.
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:17:17 PM »
Has anyone ever interviewed for a position over Skype? Should I dress in a full suit? I mean, they will only be able to see from my mid-chest to shoulders and up. Of course I'd wear a button down shirt and tie. Obviously, I always interview in person, so I always wear a suit. Never interviewed over skype before.  ??? ??? ???
X

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
Re: Skype Interview.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
I have interviewed people this way

technology is the way of the future

the information superhighway
"

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 03:23:25 PM »

:D
"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »
I have interviewed people this way

technology is the way of the future

the information superhighway

Was it awkward?  ??? ??? ???
X

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »
Was it awkward?  ??? ??? ???

not really, but it was pretty informal.  I think it depends on the industry but the tech guys are pretty casual.  I would follow the normal conventions.
"

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »
Has anyone ever interviewed for a position over Skype? Should I dress in a full suit? I mean, they will only be able to see from my mid-chest to shoulders and up. Of course I'd wear a button down shirt and tie. Obviously, I always interview in person, so I always wear a suit. Never interviewed over skype before.  ??? ??? ???

Yes I personally would wear a suit and dress as smartly as you can to create the right effect you want. If it was me I'd put on my best cufflinks and aftershave even if they are never seen they will put you in the appropriate mind-set and ready to win that job.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »
The easiest mistake to avoid is to be under dressed.

Even if you're over dressed the people won't hold it against you unless, for example, you're talking to farmers and you're wearing a tux.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »
not really, but it was pretty informal.  I think it depends on the industry but the tech guys are pretty casual.  I would follow the normal conventions.

Gotcha. The person said the interview will be between 90-120 minutes.

In terms of dress, I planned on wearing a suit anyway.

I was just more concerned about it being awkward or not over skype. Not that I have much of a choice anyway.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 03:38:47 PM »
Yes I personally would wear a suit and dress as smartly as you can to create the right effect you want. If it was me I'd put on my best cufflinks and aftershave even if they are never seen they will put you in the appropriate mind-set and ready to win that job.

Yes, this makes absolute sense. I can definitely see how dressing the part, even though youre not there in person, can put you in the right mindset, as if you were actually there.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 03:40:08 PM »
The easiest mistake to avoid is to be under dressed.

Even if you're over dressed the people won't hold it against you unless, for example, you're talking to farmers and you're wearing a tux.

I'm actually interviewing for a sales position at Caliber Fitness with owner Melvin Goodrum, CSN, MFT!
X

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »
Gotcha. The person said the interview will be between 90-120 minutes.

In terms of dress, I planned on wearing a suit anyway.

I was just more concerned about it being awkward or not over skype. Not that I have much of a choice anyway.

technical glitches make things awkward in these scenarios.  one needs to be in command of their setup.
"

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
I have hired many people in my life. I would never interview anyone unless they are right in front of me. I can easily read people and body English can speak louder than words sometimes. Plus I want them to feel my vibe since they will be working for me.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 03:47:16 PM »
Take a cardboard cutout of yourself in a suit.  Cut out holes in the eyes and mouth.  Then you can just behind it naked and comfy while you interview.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »
Yes, this makes absolute sense. I can definitely see how dressing the part, even though youre not there in person, can put you in the right mindset, as if you were actually there.

Best of luck, bet you'll do great.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
I have hired many people in my life. I would never interview anyone unless they are right in front of me. I can easily read people and body English can speak louder than words sometimes. Plus I want them to feel my vibe since they will be working for me.

Well, I assume this place has done it over skype with no issues, otherwise they would have abandoned this process. There is no choice in the matter. I will make the best of it.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »
Take a cardboard cutout of yourself in a suit.  Cut out holes in the eyes and mouth.  Then you can just behind it naked and comfy while you interview.

LMAO!! I should get a cardboard cut out of Vince Goodrum posing and use that.  :D :D
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 03:53:27 PM »
Best of luck, bet you'll do great.

Thanks! Already been on a few so far, but they were all in person! So, I felt much more relaxed.
X

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 03:55:27 PM »
Interesting. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »

I'm assuming this is a first stage interview.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »
Donny prefers to Skype naked, but this might not be the smartest strategy when you apply for a position.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »
I have done this a few times and find it annoying, but increasingly search committees and recruiters want to Skype.  The last time I did it was for a job at the University of Hawaii.  Obviously, they want to screen people before going to the expense of flying you in from the mainland.  As has been suggested, you need to dress fully for the interview; how you dress though depends on your industry.   Some things to consider:

• where will you do this?  At home? Work? Or some other designated area?  You need to think about this for a couple reasons.  Be certain that your location is free from distracting background noises (coworkers, street traffic, a barking dog, kids, etc).  You need to be in a perfectly quite space so that your voice is the only sound they will hear.

• What will be behind you while you are on camera?  You should have a nondescript background (like a blank wall or a bookcase of innocuous books) because they will see and notice whatever is behind you.  Having the wrong thing in the background can make a very bad impression.

• If you are at home or work, experiment beforehand with lighting so you have a good sense of how you appear on camera.  Bad lighting has the potential to reflect poorly on you so look into this.  You may want to use some sort of spotlight so that you are not too dark.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »
Donny prefers to Skype naked, but this might not the smartest strategy when you apply for a position.
Unless it's Donnys favorite position.......behind the glory hole. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »
I'm assuming this is a first stage interview.

Who knows what will happen after the first interview.  :o :o
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »
I have done this a few times and find it annoying, but increasingly search committees and recruiters want to Skype.  The last time I did it was for a job at the University of Hawaii.  Obviously, they want to screen people before going to the expense of flying you in from the mainland.  As has been suggested, you need to dress fully for the interview; how you dress though depends on your industry.   Some things to consider:

• where will you do this?  At home? Work? Or some other designated area?  You need to think about this for a couple reasons.  Be certain that your location is free from distracting background noises (coworkers, street traffic, a barking dog, kids, etc).  You need to be in a perfectly quite space so that your voice is the only sound they will hear.

What will be behind you while you are on camera?  You should have a nondescript background (like a blank wall or a bookcase of innocuous books) because they will see and notice whatever is behind you.  Having the wrong thing in the background can make a very bad impression.

• If you are at home or work, experiment beforehand with lighting so you have a good sense of how you appear on camera.  Bad lighting has the potential to reflect poorly on you so look into this.  You may want to use some sort of spotlight so that you are not too dark.

Never considered that. That's a very good point! Thanks!

X

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 04:05:36 PM »
I always go for the bookcase if available haha
"