Author Topic: Tipping at breakfast  (Read 10029 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Tipping at breakfast
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
Tipping is not a fucking charity.  It is a wage.  If you paid someone to paint your house black and they painted it pink, would you still pay them the $500 you owe? 
Same with a waitress.  They have a job to do to earn that tip.

x2.

Do people seriously tip a waiter/waitress if they did a horrible job?

I had one waitress who was exceptionally nasty for no reason at all. Guess what? No tip for her.  :D :D
X

Disco187

• Getbig IV
  • "Fuck Ordinary"
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
one hand washes the other. I always give a nice tip  when a nice tip is due, but on the otherhand there has been once or twice where i literally left the change on the dollar.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »

I'd tip if I was in the US but they're not a hand washing another hand.  They're useless people who have interposed themselves between the chef and the diner and think they deserve money for it.  You could replace them with a conveyor belt or a little motorized trolley.  Professional plate carriers.  How is that even a job?

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 12:50:21 AM »
Like most good, honest folk here I tip well when I know I will be back or I am with people whose opinion I crave.

Other times I simply offer a prayer for the server and pen in an inspirational quote from the word of The Lord.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2016, 06:18:29 AM »
x2.

Do people seriously tip a waiter/waitress if they did a horrible job?

I had one waitress who was exceptionally nasty for no reason at all. Guess what? No tip for her.  :D :D

If service is so bad that we're not going to tip, I'd get another waitress.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:40 AM »
Where I'm from 10% is considered a decent tip and most people don't give even that.

It's considered optional depending on the service.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »
If service is so bad that we're not going to tip, I'd get another waitress.

And then the waitress who you "fired" spits in your meal.
X

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »
Plus the whole thing about "giving them a chance"

It's not like you know ahead of time that your whole meal will have shit service, so it's tough to "fire" your waiter ahead of time.

All in all, I don't mind the tipping aspect. It's part of the cost of the meal. If everyone worked with an eat-what-you-kill attitude then I feel like we'd get better service in general across the board.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »
I understand tipping in a restaurant and how it can be of benefit to everybody.

I don't understand why I should tip a taxi driver. So he doesn't take me the long route? Surely not.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »
When I was a kid, I remember my Dad giving the guy at the full serve gas station a $1 tip after he pumped the gas and wiped down the windshields.

Your father was a man of considerable means.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
LOL @ firing your waiter.  :D

"You're fired, Pasquale! FIRED!"

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »
Lol, must have a waitress/waiter in the family. Sorry to hurt your feelings. How's about getting a job in a different industry? If you like paying for what the owner, etc. should be paying then that's a you problem, not me. He's the cheap one. Your just the sheep one without logic. That's ok.

That employee should be fired if they don't perform their job correctly.

And really speaking on waiting jobs. No idea how delivery drivers work for those places. I do know that I didnt get tipped on deliveries (or not expected to)when I did it for furniture before because the boss/owner took resonsibiity and paid a normal wage.

While I agree with you that the owner should  be paying their employees, it is a regulation here in the states that they don't have to for food services. We subsidize their pay with tips for good service. It's got it's pros and cons. If we are paying a portion of their salary we have some say in what they get paid for doing a bad, mediocre, good or outstanding job. If they were flat salary, they would have little incentive to take care of you. Also, if they were making $10 bucks an hour the cost would be passed on to you in the form of higher prices on the menus. That you know all this, and still don't tip doesn't make you a righteous person bucking the system, it just makes you a prick.   

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2016, 11:06:49 AM »
This percentage thing is bullshit. Is a waitress carrying a $100 plate of food more special than one carrying a $10 plate ?  Why does one deserve $15 vs $1.50 for essentially doing the exact same thing ?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2016, 11:07:35 AM »
This percentage thing is bullshit. Is a waitress carrying a $100 plate of food more special than one carrying a $10 plate ?  Why does one deserve $15 vs $1.50 for essentially doing the exact same thing ?

not a bad point

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »

It's more likely to happen at fast food places when you return food they fucked up the first time.

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2016, 02:06:47 PM »
I don't believe in the whole tipping percentages thing. If me and my buddy go out to a restaurant, and he orders a $10 burger plate and I order a $25 steak dinner, and we both get the same service, why should I give more of a tip just because my meal cost more? That's just stupid.

And I don't think the laws in Canada are the same. Minimum wage is minimum wage, doesn't matter the job. So a waitress will make $10.50/hr, and if one table gives her a $10 tip, well she just made an extra $10/hr. And that's just 1 table. Most waitresses are working 2-3 tables or more at a time. So they could potentially be making like $40-50/hr.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
It's more likely to happen at fast food places when you return food they fucked up the first time.

I don't put anything past anyone, especially in the food industry.
X

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:39 PM »
Some cheap motherfuckers up in here.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »
Nothing about $100 plate restaurants is similar to $10 plate restaurants.

If you just want sustenance you don't eat $100 plate food.

Let's stop pretending much of this has to do with food. Otherwise we might as well debate oats in the microwave vs the audacity of paying an entire dollar for a cheeseburger.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Nothing about $100 plate restaurants is similar to $10 plate restaurants.

If you just want sustenance you don't eat $100 plate food.

Let's stop pretending much of this has to do with food. Otherwise we might as well debate oats in the microwave vs the audacity of paying an entire dollar for a cheeseburger.
Unless the you waitress gives you a handjob why does she deserve more of a tip for walking from the kitchen to your table as a Denny's waitress does?

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2016, 05:36:39 PM »
I always tip generously at breakfast. Sometimes the waitress will give me free coffee, muffin or an occasional blowjob behind the dumpster off the kitchen. I like to help those that help themselves. I won't give money to bums, but a waitress who hustles a bit, no problem.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2016, 07:16:41 PM »
I always tip, and more if the service was exceptional.

Trust me if you are  regular anywhere and treat the staff well and tip good, you will more than get back in return free shit like drinks, top ups, desserts etc etc

This is a service announcement for anyone considering being an asshole to restaurant people.
"

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2016, 04:31:50 AM »
Should someone who can't afford to tip even go to a restaurant?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2016, 01:58:51 PM »

absolutely not

going out to eat is the first thing that needs to go if money is tight

E
E

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »

But you shouldn't tip if the service is crappy.
X