Author Topic: Tipping at breakfast  (Read 10033 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Tipping at breakfast
« on: March 31, 2016, 05:17:09 AM »
I have a question for you bodybuilders (bb related) regarding tipping at a breakfast meal.  I go to a restaurant nearby after a morning working that has a pretty good special.  You can choose from one of two options that is less than $4.  It does not however include coffee.  The meal comes to $7 when you get coffee.  Some of the waitresses will charge you for it and some won't.  I tip the ones that do not charge me $5 on the meal, bringing the total to $9 and when they charge I tip $3 making the total $10.  My question to you bodybuilders who are trying to hit the anabolic window is; is common practice to pay for the "free" item in the form of a tip, or just to tip heavy as I have been doing?  Thanks.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Tipping at breakfast
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 05:21:16 AM »
I have a question for you bodybuilders (bb related) regarding tipping at a breakfast meal.  I go to a restaurant nearby after a morning working that has a pretty good special.  You can choose from one of two options that is less than $4.  It does not however include coffee.  The meal comes to $7 when you get coffee.  Some of the waitresses will charge you for it and some won't.  I tip the ones that do not charge me $5 on the meal, bringing the total to $9 and when they charge I tip $3 making the total $10.  My question to you bodybuilders who are trying to hit the anabolic window is; is common practice to pay for the "free" item in the form of a tip, or just to tip heavy as I have been doing?  Thanks.

I'd probably do exactly the same thing you do.

Face it, you don't need the $ from the free coffee.  But getting it is cool, and makes you feel good, so you tip a bit more.  Win-win for both of you since waitress gets more $, and you save a buck.   Restaurant loses sale of coffee, but may gain because you'll visit more.
Y

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:35:59 AM »
a

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:25:57 AM »
I don't believe in tipping unless waiter goes above and beyond what is expected so in your case some are doing you a favor. Essentially tipping is you paying what the owner should be paying. They pay minimum wage if the worker doesn't at least equal that. Waiter/waitresses choice to be in that industry so no idea why some get mad if a tip isn't given since they get minimum wage anyways. They don't really do anything beyond anyone else does in a job so why tipping has become a thing makes no sense except to benefit the owner who doesn't have to pay them/evaluate performance, etc.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 06:27:22 AM »
I tip heavy, same as you. Most meals I tip between 20-25%. If the service is really sub-par I will go down to 15%. Only twice has it been so bad I left nothing.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:29:14 AM »
I don't believe in tipping unless waiter goes above and beyond what is expected so in your case some are doing you a favor. Essentially tipping is you paying what the owner should be paying. They pay minimum wage if the worker doesn't at least equal that. Waiter/waitresses choice to be in that industry so no idea why some get mad if a tip isn't given since they get minimum wage anyways. They don't really do anything beyond anyone else does in a job so why tipping has become a thing makes no sense except to benefit the owner who doesn't have to pay them/evaluate performance, etc.

What country do you live in?
Y

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:31:04 AM »

I hope you don't practice this same cheap-ass method with pizza delivery people. Many make notes in the computer on people that don't tip according to my nephew who used to deliver. These people have your food "alone" in "their" vehicle. I bet you get extra toppings on yours. Enjoy your next pizza Ebenezer.  :-*

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:32:15 AM »
What country do you live in?
Michigan, USA

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:37:33 AM »
Michigan, USA

Then I hope you don't go out to eat much

You're just cheap - standard practice in this country is to tip for good service, and that's not regulated to only foodservices industries.  
Y

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 06:40:52 AM »
Here`s a tip...."Don`t stare into the sun"!!   ;)

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 06:41:52 AM »
I hope you don't practice this same cheap-ass method with pizza delivery people. Many make notes in the computer on people that don't tip according to my nephew who used to deliver. These people have your food "alone" in "their" vehicle. I bet you get extra toppings on yours. Enjoy your next pizza Ebenezer.  :-*
Lol, must have a waitress/waiter in the family. Sorry to hurt your feelings. How's about getting a job in a different industry? If you like paying for what the owner, etc. should be paying then that's a you problem, not me. He's the cheap one. Your just the sheep one without logic. That's ok.

That employee should be fired if they don't perform their job correctly.

And really speaking on waiting jobs. No idea how delivery drivers work for those places. I do know that I didnt get tipped on deliveries (or not expected to)when I did it for furniture before because the boss/owner took resonsibiity and paid a normal wage.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 06:45:30 AM »
15% for 1 of the 3-tits,ass,face
20% for 2 of the 3
25% for all 3, although rare
0% for dudes.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 06:53:01 AM »
Lol, must have a waitress/waiter in the family. Sorry to hurt your feelings. How's about getting a job in a different industry? If you like paying for what the owner, etc. should be paying then that's a you problem, not me. He's the cheap one. Your just the sheep one without logic. That's ok.

That employee should be fired if they don't perform their job correctly.

And really speaking on waiting jobs. No idea how delivery drivers work for those places. I do know that I didnt get tipped on deliveries (or not expected to)when I did it for furniture before because the boss/owner took resonsibiity and paid a normal wage.

Your comparing 2 different industry's. I've had furniture delivered. They give you a 6 hour window when it will arrive, if your lucky. When I'm out eating and I need a drink I don't expect to have to wait long.

Waitresses don't get paid shit by the restaurant for a reason. They give you good service you pay in tips. This motivates the servers to do a good job. If you think they shouldn't get tips and the restaurant should bump up their salary, then there goes your service. They're getting paid so what the fuck do they care if you wait a few extra minutes to get your drink.

I went to a place last week that had a 20% tip included in the bill. Worst fucking service in history. I don't think that was a coincidence.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 06:57:48 AM »

Yeah I've seen Reservor Dogs too

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 07:02:39 AM »
Your comparing 2 different industry's. I've had furniture delivered. They give you a 6 hour window when it will arrive, if your lucky. When I'm out eating and I need a drink I don't expect to have to wait long.

Waitresses don't get paid shit by the restaurant for a reason. They give you good service you pay in tips. This motivates the servers to do a good job. If you think they shouldn't get tips and the restaurant should bump up their salary, then there goes your service. They're getting paid so what the fuck do they care if you wait a few extra minutes to get your drink.

I went to a place last week that had a 20% tip included in the bill. Worst fucking service in history. I don't think that was a coincidence.

I was listening to a podcast with Ron Partlow on it, and he said in Australia you don't tip waters because their salaries are good. Said even in fancy expensive restaurants the service sucked, waitresses were rude, and didn't care if you were satisfied or not. He said even getting water refills was like pulling teeth. So I 100% see your point on this.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 07:19:13 AM »

Our service had a two hour window with a half hour call ahead.

Once again that logically makes no sense. They aren't paid (and they are paid if you don't tip) well only because the owner does not want to pay their wages. If an employee underperforms/gets complaints then they should be fired as in any other job. Motivation would be raises/keeping your job as in any other job/service job. If they need motivation to work then that is once again their problem and owners responsibility to hire correctly as in any other job.

So basically your argument is that people in the restaurant industry are somehow different in their work ethic in comarison to other jobs (i.e. potentially lazier) which doesn't really make sense. The boss/owner should be the boss/owner as in any other job.

My main point is that to make tipping some sort of requirement/mandatory is pretty bogus all things considered. I do tip but only when above and beyond. Heck, I tied a subway worker like ten extra dollars because my wife kept switching what she wanted, lol. Made his day. I don't believe you should be essentially required to tip someone for doing their job correctly like a normal person. That's weird.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »

Once again that logically makes no sense. They aren't paid (and they are paid if you don't tip) well only because the owner does not want to pay their wages. If an employee underperforms/gets complaints then they should be fired as in any other job. Motivation would be raises/keeping your job as in any other job/service job. If they need motivation to work then that is once again their problem and owners responsibility to hire correctly as in any other job.

So basically your argument is that people in the restaurant industry are somehow different in their work ethic in comarison to other jobs (i.e. potentially lazier) which doesn't really make sense. The boss/owner should be the boss/owner as in any other job.

My main point is that to make tipping some sort of requirement/mandatory is pretty bogus all things considered. I do tip but only when above and beyond. Heck, I tied a subway worker like ten extra dollars because my wife kept switching what she wanted, lol. Made his day. I don't believe you should be essentially required to tip someone for doing their job correctly like a normal person. That's weird.

The disconnect is your belief in the way the industry should work is not the way the industry actually does work.

Either way, if the restaurant industry was required to pay the full wages as a standard, you'd end up paying for it anyway with higher prices.  And, as it's been pointed out, service would likely suffer, as the incentive is diminished.
Y

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 07:39:48 AM »
The disconnect is your belief in the way the industry should work is not the way the industry actually does work.

Either way, if the restaurant industry was required to pay the full wages as a standard, you'd end up paying for it anyway with higher prices.  And, as it's been pointed out, service would likely suffer, as the incentive is diminished.
Not really a disconnect. Moreso, just reasoning. The disconnect is with the people that feel sorry for someone willingly taking that sort of job/don't know that they are paid minimum wage (at least in MI) if tips don't reach that amount. I think that's the case in most states as I read an article on it once via fb (forget what mag it was linked from). A lot of comments agreed with me.
The service argument is mute as shown by previous posts. Plenty of jobs that involve working with people that this is not the case.

Anyways, I'm not one for continually making the same argument anyways over and over. Just my thoughts on it. Doesn't really effect me anyways as I don't go out to eat that much anyways as it is expensive for what you get and in general I get disappointed and like the food we make at home more usually.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 08:21:48 AM »

It's a good convo.....I didn't even learn that the restaurant was required to "make good" until I read your post and looked it up.

But, even though you feel that way about the restaurant industry in relation to other services industries, most who enter the field do so under the understanding that, overall, good service gets you 15% and better service can lead to more.  Tipping for service in restaurants is standard USA practice, and expected from the restaurant, the waiters, and the customers, on the whole.
Y

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
Michigan, USA

If you don't tip regularly and live in the U.S. then you're an asshole
Y

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 08:25:10 AM »

$10 tip?  You sound like a wealthy fella
Y

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »
If you don't tip regularly and live in the U.S. then you're an asshole

I would not go over to mazrim(job) house if he is ordering pizza if I were you. You know the driver cranked off at least 3 loads onto his supreme pizza and scratched his nutsack with the crust.  :P

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:46 AM »

I see your point.Thank goodness for now we live in a free market society and the restaurants can choose how they pay their employees. You can go to the restaurants that don't allow tipping but have higher costs in compensation. But I highly doubt you will get the service you will at a place were the servers are working for tips. There are some great waitresses and some shitty ones. The shitty ones will go to a place with the higher salary. Your paying either way. Some restaurants here in NY don't allow tipping, but their prices are more then what I'd pay with a good tip at other places.

Delivering furniture and waitressing  are totally different. Dropping something off at someones house vs watching a table for an hour,going back and forth non stop, making sure everyone is comfortable and meeting their demands.

Would strippers do as good of a job if they were on salary only and you couldn't give them dollar bills?

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:03 AM »
I only give the tip.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
is common practice to pay for the "free" item in the form of a tip, or just to tip heavy as I have been doing?  Thanks.

Sometimes in the bar industry, the bartenders will hook knowns up with a free (stolen) drinks sometimes. Usually the rate is every 3/4 free drink, you kick the bartender back the cost of the drink as a tip.

In your case, I'd probably give the difference back as a tip or if the service was bad, correct the bill.