Author Topic: STAR WARS - Rogue One: A STAR WARS Story (Official Thread)  (Read 57332 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: STAR WARS - Rogue One: A STAR WARS Story (Official Thread)
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2016, 01:05:56 PM »
If the 15 bucks has serious consequences for you, no.

But this one is pretty visually stunning, plus not getting exposed to spoilers.

Money is not the issue. Sitting with a bunch of random strangers who whisper and check their phones is.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »
Money is not the issue. Sitting with a bunch of random strangers who whisper and check their phones is.

A wookie most muscular will silence them.

If you are going to watch the movie:

1. Go to nicest theater in your vicinity;
or

2. have a nice, 4k tv and don't go to theater. 

It really is a visually beautiful film (like Force Awakens), but it didn't blow me away until the Vader action. A lot of stuff seen in the trailers were not in the film. I assume they cut out some good (dark) material.
a

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #252 on: December 19, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »

Wasn't an issue when I saw it.
Y

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2016, 09:02:37 PM »
As opposed to being a pretend figure named "ratherbebig" on a bodybuilding message board?

;D ;D

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #254 on: December 19, 2016, 09:03:36 PM »
You're entirely welcome to stay the fuck out of the thread.

Qft..
Well said..

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2016, 04:10:59 PM »
Saw it today in IMAX 3D. 

Pretty damn good.  IMO, it was much better than the Force Awakens.

The CGI Tarken was good, but he looked like CGI at certain angles.  Leia was better and looked more real to me.

The Vader scenes towards the end were very well done and the highlight of the movie.  The mask and costume was perfect.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2016, 08:08:05 PM »
Saw it today in IMAX 3D.  

Pretty damn good.  IMO, it was much better than the Force Awakens.

The CGI Tarken was good, but he looked like CGI at certain angles.  Leia was better and looked more real to me.

The Vader scenes towards the end were very well done and the highlight of the movie.  The mask and costume was perfect.

Agree on all counts except I thought the opposite of CGI Lea / Tarkin

Right now I'd put it in the top 3 behind Empire and A New Hope, but might change my mind.
Y

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »
Good that they had the nads to kill off everyone by movie's end. Goodness knows that piece of shit The Force Awakens would've been infinitely better if all the annoying-ass main characters would've gotten killed off by the end of that movie.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2016, 04:32:26 AM »
Good that they had the nads to kill off everyone by movie's end. Goodness knows that piece of shit The Force Awakens would've been infinitely better if all the annoying-ass main characters would've gotten killed off by the end of that movie.

Rogue One has no comic relief either.  Darker is better.  From what I understand, the original movie was too dark and portions of it had to be re-shot.  Some of the things in the trailers were not in the final cut.

Fischputza

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #259 on: December 26, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »
The Bacta Tank scene was very weak.....just shades. Way too little dramatic for his short screen time.
Again just an mediocre film which is all promotion....still better than the last one

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: December 26, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
The Bacta Tank scene was very weak.....just shades. Way too little dramatic for his short screen time.
Again just an mediocre film which is all promotion....still better than the last one

Probably unnecessary, I agree.  Besides that I thought Vader had just enough screen time and his scenes were well done.  I think it captured more Vader fear factor than the other movies. 

I'm seeing it again this week to catch some things I may have missed.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: December 26, 2016, 02:16:17 PM »
Saw it today in IMAX 3D. 

Pretty damn good.  IMO, it was much better than the Force Awakens.

The CGI Tarken was good, but he looked like CGI at certain angles.  Leia was better and looked more real to me.

The Vader scenes towards the end were very well done and the highlight of the movie.  The mask and costume was perfect.

i totally agree, this was way better than the anal awakens,    i enjoyed it alot i hope they make a darth vader solo movie that would be awesome

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #262 on: December 26, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
Rogue One has no comic relief either.  Darker is better.  From what I understand, the original movie was too dark and portions of it had to be re-shot.  Some of the things in the trailers were not in the final cut.

Sure it did - K-2SO.

Agree about it overall being darker / better though.
Y

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2016, 12:47:59 AM »
Probably unnecessary, I agree.  Besides that I thought Vader had just enough screen time and his scenes were well done.  I think it captured more Vader fear factor than the other movies. 

I'm seeing it again this week to catch some things I may have missed.

Yes, Darth Vader really was a fearful figure in Rogue One.

No "Han Solo"-type would dare to wisecrack at him.
Q

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
Saw it.  Pretty game, could have done without the lame cheerleader speech from the main chick to amp up the dirty harden soldiers.  Nothing I want more to amp me up after decades of war is some little twat trying to tell me what to do.
The Vader seen was awesome, needed more.  Tarkan looked good, the eyes give it away though.  Leah was laughable. 

SPoiler:

What I don't get is why use the Death Star on that planet at the end.  Now the entire Empire Archives are destroyed.  Plans for everything blown up.  How do they ever make anything again based on old plans?  Obviously Vader knew that a flaw must have been made in the Death Star so why didn't he research it more?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2016, 03:16:41 PM »
Saw it.  Pretty game, could have done without the lame cheerleader speech from the main chick to amp up the dirty harden soldiers.  Nothing I want more to amp me up after decades of war is some little twat trying to tell me what to do.
The Vader seen was awesome, needed more.  Tarkan looked good, the eyes give it away though.  Leah was laughable. 

SPoiler:

What I don't get is why use the Death Star on that planet at the end.  Now the entire Empire Archives are destroyed.  Plans for everything blown up.  How do they ever make anything again based on old plans?  Obviously Vader knew that a flaw must have been made in the Death Star so why didn't he research it more?

What's the time frame on the Death Star getting blown up after the plans were given though?  Couple weeks?  Days?
Y

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2016, 06:09:36 PM »
What's the time frame on the Death Star getting blown up after the plans were given though?  Couple weeks?  Days?

This occurs before luke even trains with Ben and R2 gets the plans uploaded and lost on tattooine.  So there's ample time. At least it answers the 30 year joke about why make a deaths star with such a flaw.  Doesn't explain why they didn't fix it the second time.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »
This occurs before luke even trains with Ben and R2 gets the plans uploaded and lost on tattooine.  So there's ample time. At least it answers the 30 year joke about why make a deaths star with such a flaw.  Doesn't explain why they didn't fix it the second time.

I thought Luke trained with Ben for like 15 minutes.  But the whole saga took about a day once they were jettisoned, so there may have only been a couple days, no?
Y

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #268 on: December 30, 2016, 06:51:49 PM »

The whole series is George Lucas "cap tip" to Kabbalahism/Satanism.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #269 on: December 30, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »
I loved how Vader was floating in that goo.  Interesting he had the imperial guards protecting him but you don't see them again until ROTJ. I do like how they had a couple clone troopers in there.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2016, 07:41:03 AM »
A toothy Mary Sue runs around and kicks ass like a Ninja/Navy Seal.

Hmmm, where have I seen that before?

A question for those that have seen the movie....the two Chinamen were gay for each other , right?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »
Star Wars: See How Tarkin Came to Life in Rogue One Special on Nightline

When fans went to see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, many were surprised - some downright shocked, some maybe a bit put off - to see Grand Moff Tarkin up on their screen, looking like actor Peter Cushing - now deceased - hadn't aged a day since 1977. That was thanks to the visual effects wizardry of Industrial Light and Magic, actor Guy Henry, and the Cushing family estate.

Now the secrets of that effect will be revealed on a special episode of ABC's Nightline airing tonight, January 4, 2017. The process is broken down into three primary steps in the teaser video for the episode.

The video starts with original photography of Henry, acting in full costume with some special motion capture headgear on; that's so when they use his voice and cadence with the digital face of Cushing, they match up perfectly. From there, ILM digitally removed the head gear, as well as Henry's hair, creating a digital version of his face. From there it's the morphing into a digital Peter Cushing, who delivers the final performance on screen.

It's a revolutionary technology, and one that had fans split. Some thought it worked perfectly, or at least well enough that they hardly (if at all) noticed there was a digital actor on screen. Some were more sensitive to it and got pulled out of the film. Still, it at least demonstrates where things are going and ILM's technical prowess continues to improve. When visiting and touring the ILM facilities, they told Comicbook.com about more than one technology that didn't exist, "So we invented it," and quite nonchalantly.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/01/04/star-wars-see-how-tarkin-came-to-life-in-rogue-one-special-on-ni/

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2017, 05:19:41 AM »
They cut the bit right at the end where I came down in my spaceship and saved the girl from the beach as the planet was about to blow. Then she sucked me all through hyperspace as we headed for my moon palace on Endor.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2017, 05:36:36 AM »
Star Wars: See How Tarkin Came to Life in Rogue One Special on Nightline

When fans went to see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, many were surprised - some downright shocked, some maybe a bit put off - to see Grand Moff Tarkin up on their screen, looking like actor Peter Cushing - now deceased - hadn't aged a day since 1977. That was thanks to the visual effects wizardry of Industrial Light and Magic, actor Guy Henry, and the Cushing family estate.

Now the secrets of that effect will be revealed on a special episode of ABC's Nightline airing tonight, January 4, 2017. The process is broken down into three primary steps in the teaser video for the episode.

The video starts with original photography of Henry, acting in full costume with some special motion capture headgear on; that's so when they use his voice and cadence with the digital face of Cushing, they match up perfectly. From there, ILM digitally removed the head gear, as well as Henry's hair, creating a digital version of his face. From there it's the morphing into a digital Peter Cushing, who delivers the final performance on screen.

It's a revolutionary technology, and one that had fans split. Some thought it worked perfectly, or at least well enough that they hardly (if at all) noticed there was a digital actor on screen. Some were more sensitive to it and got pulled out of the film. Still, it at least demonstrates where things are going and ILM's technical prowess continues to improve. When visiting and touring the ILM facilities, they told Comicbook.com about more than one technology that didn't exist, "So we invented it," and quite nonchalantly.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/01/04/star-wars-see-how-tarkin-came-to-life-in-rogue-one-special-on-ni/

It was cool, but there was something odd about it.  The technology is still not perfected yet.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2017, 06:26:53 AM »
It was cool, but there was something odd about it.  The technology is still not perfected yet.

I completely agree with this.  I was still blown away, but CGI on Tarkin and Leia (although fantastic) was still "off" (best I can put it).   The one thing people can recognize every facet about is people and perfecting all the slight mannerisms, skin imperfections, muscle movements, etc....is extremely challenging.  How these folks do what they did blows my mind, but yes it isn't "perfect" yet......may never be when it comes to a CGI human on screen.