Author Topic: Amazon Echo  (Read 10092 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Amazon Echo
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »

"Mycroft. Why are black people so stupid that they want the 90s back." 

Wonder if it can answer that.  hahahaa

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »
Not as good as my extensive Sonos system, but not bad.
My wife keeps asking me to research the best speaker system for our kitchens so we can have music instantly.  Is this Sonos thing something you would recommend?

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »
Don't waste your money.  Mycroft will be complete soon.  Its open source so the software will be free.  

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »
My wife keeps asking me to research the best speaker system for our kitchens so we can have music instantly.  Is this Sonos thing something you would recommend?

It's very, very good. I am sure that you can find something with better sound, but not nearly as convenient.

epic_alien

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »
Don't waste your money.  Mycroft will be complete soon.  Its open source so the software will be free. 

why do you want everything for free?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »

You're asking a man who is planning to move into a refrigerator box as a home someday.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »

If you could get something for free or pay for it, which would you pick?

That is what Vince is probably thinking about.
X

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »

Vince's upcoming mycroft rig

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
"Mycroft. Why are black people so stupid that they want the 90s back."  

Wonder if it can answer that.  hahahaa

Adonis:  Because black aren't stupid enough to vote for a slimebag who sponsored a bill in 1994 to dump nuclear waste from Vermont into Sierra Blanca, Texas a poor Latino community.  Would you like to learn more about Bernie's record in the 90's ??  ;D
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't waste the time.  Can't see any real benefit other than a novelty item at this time.  When it gets hardwired into the house, then it will be awesome  
A

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't waste the time.  Can't see any real benefit other than a novelty item at this time.  When it gets hardwired into the house, then it will be awesome  

Hardwired? Wow, such a technologist.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 05:03:40 PM »
Hardwired? Wow, such a technologist.

Its just a general term as it uses bluetooth.  Once every device and appliance in a home is connected then the true power of a smart home can be realized. 
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 05:11:47 PM »
POS redundant tech.
A

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
My wife keeps asking me to research the best speaker system for our kitchens so we can have music instantly.  Is this Sonos thing something you would recommend?

Visit a showroom and listen to the Bose SoundTouch 20 or 30; I have the 30.  Even when used in a large room the sound (on the 30) is very good.  You can preset 6 stations including almost any local (or internet) radio station as well as music services like Spotify, SiriusXM, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Deezer, and the entire music library on your computer.  The SoundTouch is basically a WiFi speaker.  You can control it with any smart phone (once you download the app), with an app on your computer, with the included remote control, or with the built in buttons on the device.  It includes, Bluetooth so while you can stream your entire computer library to it, you can also bluetooth directly from your phone's music library to it.  You may also connect it to your television via a hardline IN.

The SoundTouch is also scalable.  If you later decide to add to the system, you can buy another SoundTouch and play the music in different rooms.  For example in your kitchen and a bedroom.  You may continue to add to the system as your needs grow.  If you want to add a speaker to your patio or pool deck you can do that as well and have the same music playing on all three speakers (kitchen, bedroom, patio).  Or you can have different music/radio stations playing on all three or more devices.  The ability to scale this system and the flexibility with which you can control it is a real advantage.  It is also small enough to be mobile though I have never moved mine since setting it up.

As with any speaker, it is important that you hear the sound quality for yourself to determine if you find it satisfactory.  The system does have limits.  You cannot use it to play to a 5000 seat concert hall or host a block party, but that's not why you buy a speaker like this.  The 30 is great, the 20 is satisfactory.  I do not think I would buy the SoundTouch 10 as I think the sound output is took weak but it all depends on where you plan to use it.  I will definitely buy another SoundTouch 30 or 20 in the future.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »
Visit a showroom and listen to the Bose SoundTouch 20 or 30; I have the 30.  Even when used in a large room the sound (on the 30) is very good.  You can preset 6 stations including almost any local (or internet) radio station as well as music services like Spotify, SiriusXM, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Deezer, and the entire music library on your computer.  The SoundTouch is basically a WiFi speaker.  You can control it with any smart phone (once you download the app), with an app on your computer, with the included remote control, or with the built in buttons on the device.  It includes, Bluetooth so while you can stream your entire computer library to it, you can also bluetooth directly from your phone's music library to it.  You may also connect it to your television via a hardline IN.

The SoundTouch is also scalable.  If you later decide to add to the system, you can buy another SoundTouch and play the music in different rooms.  For example in your kitchen and a bedroom.  You may continue to add to the system as your needs grow.  If you want to add a speaker to your patio or pool deck you can do that as well and have the same music playing on all three speakers (kitchen, bedroom, patio).  Or you can have different music/radio stations playing on all three or more devices.  The ability to scale this system and the flexibility with which you can control it is a real advantage.  It is also small enough to be mobile though I have never moved mine since setting it up.

As with any speaker, it is important that you hear the sound quality for yourself to determine if you find it satisfactory.  The system does have limits.  You cannot use it to play to a 5000 seat concert hall or host a block party, but that's not why you buy a speaker like this.  The 30 is great, the 20 is satisfactory.  I do not think I would buy the SoundTouch 10 as I think the sound output is took weak but it all depends on where you plan to use it.  I will definitely buy another SoundTouch 30 or 20 in the future.

Sonos does all this and is excellent too - in terms of setup, interface, sound, and customer support.
Y

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »

That's actually an excellent idea, Vince.
X

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
ALL
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
I kind of agree with Bay (without understanding all the technology behind it) but the BOSE system is the best I've ever heard.

I have yet to hear anything better ... but I have not heard them all yet.

I am trying to convince family members who are in the motion picture production business to equip their home theater with the best projection and audio equipment that money can buy (thinking that it will be a tax write off anyway).

So far I have recommended BOSE for the sound and this new VIDEO WALL
that I have only seen in Las Vegas (check it out behind The Palms Hotel check-in desk).

I should have more info on that soon enough, but if you see it, you will most likely agree that it appears to be the best damn visual wall that money can buy .... if it can be bought by the general public today.

Some of you GetBiggers may already be familiar with this 'piece of visual equipment", so let me know if you can provide details.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2016, 06:42:56 PM »
You guys are awesome.  I am going to look into both suggestions.  Also, can both be easily used with a computer or television or PS4?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 06:50:21 PM »
That's actually an excellent idea, Vince.

What would the difference be?
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »
You guys are awesome.  I am going to look into both suggestions.  Also, can both be easily used with a computer or television or PS4?

Sonos makes a soundbar for use with TV/Video games.

To be honest, I'm sure all the systems are great.  I'm partial to Sonos, and I think you get more for the $$.....I have 4 speakers currently.  Wish the Play 1 was available when I bought, though, since the Play 3's are a bit too much for some of the smaller rooms I have.  They're perfect for the high ceiling ones  though.
Y

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 07:10:41 PM »
Yea! Thanks, Grape!

Those two articles were well worth reading! I now plan to go out and  check the SONOS speakers this next week.

I assume that they will have a SONOS system set up at FRY'S.

I really ain't much of a 'audiophile' so I will probably not notice much of a difference.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 07:12:33 PM »
Yea! Thanks, Grape!

Those two articles were well worth reading! I now plan to go out and  check the SONOS speakers this next week.

I assume that they will have a SONOS system set up at FRY'S.

I really ain't much of a 'audiophile' so I will probably not notice much of a difference.

Same here, man.  I'll bet they all sound great.

I've probably gotten 4-5 people on to Sonos, and they all love it.   I'm a bit biased, so when I checked the reviews, the one thing that stood out was the price.
Y

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »
What would the difference be?

Vince had the know-it-all to have it hard wired into the house. No one else thought of that on here.
X

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2016, 07:18:21 PM »
Vince had the know-it-all to have it hard wired into the house. No one else thought of that on here.

Because that's outdated.

I have no less than 60 separate lines of Cat-5e cable hard wired throughout my entire house.  IT guy who feared wifi security built it.

Mostly useless now due to wifi, but I hardwire the Xbox for gaming.
Y