Author Topic: Amazon Echo  (Read 10096 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Amazon Echo
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2016, 07:23:37 PM »
Because that's outdated.

I have no less than 60 separate lines of Cat-5e cable hard wired throughout my entire house.  IT guy who feared wifi security built it.

Mostly useless now due to wifi, but I hardwire the Xbox for gaming.
hahah yeah, I feel sorry for all of those people who spent thousands and thousands hardwiring their house for eveything.  Epic waste.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »
hahah yeah, I feel sorry for all of those people who spent thousands and thousands hardwiring their house for eveything.  Epic waste.
Well, to be fair, for Vince to hardwire  the place he's building, it takes about 5 feet of cable.
Y

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2016, 07:26:23 PM »
So this Amazon Echo thing has shit sound compared to the others right?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
Because that's outdated.

I have no less than 60 separate lines of Cat-5e cable hard wired throughout my entire house.  IT guy who feared wifi security built it.

Mostly useless now due to wifi, but I hardwire the Xbox for gaming.

That cannot be accurate.
X

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2016, 07:57:55 PM »

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »
If you want just a speaker. Yeah. Get something else.
A

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
That cannot be accurate.

What can't be accurate?

Guy went bananas with the cat-5.  I have up to 8 separate cables in a single room.  It's stupid.
Y

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »
To be fair to Vince, in my house, if it doesn't move, I put it on the cat6 gigE internal LAN. so all the xboxes, desktops, rokus and apple tvs are all on the wire. I don't both with the Sonos or the Echo tho.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2016, 04:11:20 AM »
Sonos rules. When the Sonos is finally Alexa enabled, that'll be sweet.

And Vince, your "smart" house with all the IoT is completely consistent with the Echo's trajectory. In fact, the Echo is counting on it. The Echo is the early leader to be the control plane for your house. Whether your cheap-ass likes it or not. Well, not your cardboard box, but my 5000 sqft house, yes.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2016, 05:03:28 AM »

Amazon is quite shitty compared to Caliber Fitness and Caliber Grocery.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2016, 05:49:46 AM »
To be fair to Vince, in my house, if it doesn't move, I put it on the cat6 gigE internal LAN. so all the xboxes, desktops, rokus and apple tvs are all on the wire. I don't both with the Sonos or the Echo tho.

Same, I have everything on cat6

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2016, 06:27:50 AM »
My buddy loves his. True story, the commercial with Alec Baldwin came on where he was talking with his Alexa, my buddy's heard the commercial and started talking back...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2016, 09:11:15 AM »
Regardless of GOOD/BETTER/BEST .... The introduction of ECHO, MYCROFT, and a list of others just shows what is possible now and where the hell the electronic world is heading within the next ten years.

Today you can even buy a functional 'keyboard' that is merely a projection onto a flat surface by your cell  phone. (Hologram??!!)

And watch for OCULUS as well as other Virtual Reality systems to take the world by storm.

TA, somewhere up above yu asked if the ECHO sound was any good.

I am unable to comment on what is the best of today's sound systems, but the ECHO (ALEXA) really turned me on when I first turned it on.

I presently don't demand too much when it comes to sound systems but with all this appreciated information regarding this subject, I'll be heading down to FRY's to see if I can really hear any difference among the leaders within this industry.

Mycroft appears to be amazing in that it seems to be a 'system' for the entire household .... and can even lock your front door among other things that lazy assed individuals find too taxing to do themselves.

I think I'll get one of those also!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2016, 09:21:04 AM »
What can't be accurate?

Guy went bananas with the cat-5.  I have up to 8 separate cables in a single room.  It's stupid.

Did Goodrum have anything to do with the installation of cat-5 in your home?
X

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2016, 09:40:38 AM »
Do you have to called it Alexa? Can you rename it?  Want to call mine kneega.  I can then be like "kneega give me the time".  I'd want it to call me master.  " it's 9:12 master".

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »
Regardless of GOOD/BETTER/BEST .... The introduction of ECHO, MYCROFT, and a list of others just shows what is possible now and where the hell the electronic world is heading within the next ten years.

Today you can even buy a functional 'keyboard' that is merely a projection onto a flat surface by your cell  phone. (Hologram??!!)

And watch for OCULUS as well as other Virtual Reality systems to take the world by storm.

TA, somewhere up above yu asked if the ECHO sound was any good.

I am unable to comment on what is the best of today's sound systems, but the ECHO (ALEXA) really turned me on when I first turned it on.

I presently don't demand too much when it comes to sound systems but with all this appreciated information regarding this subject, I'll be heading down to FRY's to see if I can really hear any difference among the leaders within this industry.

Mycroft appears to be amazing in that it seems to be a 'system' for the entire household .... and can even lock your front door among other things that lazy assed individuals find too taxing to do themselves.

I think I'll get one of those also!

Where have you been, my knee grow? The virtual keyboard thing has been available in the Sky Mall mag on planes for like a decade and people have been talking about the Oculus Rift for at least 3 years. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »
Oculus Rift Tos is ridiculous. I'm going to hold out for the hololens
A

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »
I have a more advanced version of this. Call it "My girlfriend". Managed to even cook me a dinner today, can't still fugure out how is that possible, but I only had to say "I'm hungry".