Author Topic: Natty; lifting way less volume, but heavier and cal deficit =results  (Read 4322 times)

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
i was hating being off trt for a minute, but lately im noticing my 3 days of lifting per week with compound lifts, and increasing strength with reverse pyramid sets seems to work very well. wish i figured this out yeard ago. strengf is going up while cals are fairly low (1700).

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
Re: Natty; lifting way less volume, but heavier and cal deficit =results
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:25:50 PM »
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

But congrats.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »
On the same path right now.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:58:06 PM »
i was hating being off trt for a minute, but lately im noticing my 3 days of lifting per week with compound lifts, and increasing strength with reverse pyramid sets seems to work very well. wish i figured this out yeard ago. strengf is going up while cals are fairly low (1700).

Please define a reverse pyramid set

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:35:29 AM »
No gear, in a severe caloric deficit and strength training? Good luck with that. My spidey-sense feels that a large dose of reality will be crashing in soon.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:44:26 AM »
3 days a week of full body workouts comprising of big, compound lifts has always been the best way to see results as a natural IME.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:14:21 AM »
3 days a week of full body workouts comprising of big, compound lifts has always been the best way to see results as a natural IME.
yes some people still think a full body workout is just for beginners. Enjoying full body myself at the moment. Really is worth going back to now and again.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 04:16:47 AM »

This appears to have been carved in stone at some ancient natty temple somewhere, but I've yet to see a single impressive natty physique that has been built with this advice. It feels like ur Broscience. The Broscience progenitor of all other Broscience.

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:18:51 AM »
I believe 3 times a week is too often for a natural, especially if training to, or near failure.

I do believe that training the body as a unit is best for overall growth.  One can specialize on lagging bodyparts, such as forearms and/or calves on off days.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:22:09 AM »
This appears to have been carved in stone at some ancient natty temple somewhere, but I've yet to see a single impressive natty physique that has been built with this advice. It feels like ur Broscience. The Broscience progenitor of all other Broscience.

This, it's always said, but every impressive legit natural (as far as the eye can tell) has been built using brosplit aka body part split.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 04:30:08 AM »
This, it's always said, but every impressive legit natural (as far as the eye can tell) has been built using brosplit aka body part split.
You do not need to Squat 3 days a week, rather throw in a Day of Extension/leg curls. Some will do flat press one workout day and Incline the next. Each workout on a full body workout does not need to be the same. I like doing 3 sets per exercise on full body. I also found a 3 day split very productive training Chest/back off Shoulders/arms off legs, weekend off with more volume. plenty of rest time.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 05:04:56 AM »
You do not need to Squat 3 days a week, rather throw in a Day of Extension/leg curls. Some will do flat press one workout day and Incline the next. Each workout on a full body workout does not need to be the same. I like doing 3 sets per exercise on full body. I also found a 3 day split very productive training Chest/back off Shoulders/arms off legs, weekend off with more volume. plenty of rest time.

as a natty, 3x a week of full body (im assuming that means one or two real exercises like bench and flies per bp) i feel is too much. i wouldnt be able to recover. i would need to eat ALOT and since im an endo with lousy bb genetics, I would end up looking like shit.

For me the split has been
mon- bench, overhead press
weds-weighted pull ups, leg press, and some form of a deadlift if my back is feeling ok
fri-bicep curl, overhead single dumbbell extension for triceps

for the poster who asked about reverse pyramid sets, its a way of gaining strength.
theoretical bench would look like this:

225 x 5 (5 hard reps but possibly with a spotter u could have gotten 6)
10% less on second set (6-7 reps)
10% less on third set (8 reps)
thats it for chest. as i get stronger i will add in a couple sets of fliers or something but for now this is providing results. the next bench day you would increase weight or reps

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 05:23:18 AM »

TBF, how impressive you will look will be judged mostly on genetics anyway. I mean, you have young Hebrews who haven't picked up a weight in their life who look better than many hardworking natties. A genetically gifted individual will look good on pretty much any routine. However, many of the old school physiques were built using full body workouts.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 05:28:49 AM »
as a natty, 3x a week of full body (im assuming that means one or two real exercises like bench and flies per bp) i feel is too much. i wouldnt be able to recover. i would need to eat ALOT and since im an endo with lousy bb genetics, I would end up looking like shit.

For me the split has been
mon- bench, overhead press
weds-weighted pull ups, leg press, and some form of a deadlift if my back is feeling ok
fri-bicep curl, overhead single dumbbell extension for triceps

for the poster who asked about reverse pyramid sets, its a way of gaining strength.
theoretical bench would look like this:

225 x 5 (5 hard reps but possibly with a spotter u could have gotten 6)
10% less on second set (6-7 reps)
10% less on third set (8 reps)
thats it for chest. as i get stronger i will add in a couple sets of fliers or something but for now this is providing results. the next bench day you would increase weight or reps

sounds a bit like Abbreviated training what you are doing. If it works it works. Everyone is diffrent, i find doing what i do and then cardio afterwards melts away fat. My Body adapts fairly quickly and i can work set for set at a good pace without dropping too much weight.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 05:43:24 AM »
TBF, how impressive you will look will be judged mostly on genetics anyway. I mean, you have young Hebrews who haven't picked up a weight in their life who look better than many hardworking natties. A genetically gifted individual will look good on pretty much any routine. However, many of the old school physiques were built using full body workouts.
Yup...Reg Park for example. Can find some good stuff with this link..
http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/products/strength-bulk-training-weight-lifters-body-builders-reg-park

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 06:07:16 AM »
Everyday that goes by i am more and more convinced that, after a certain age, training without hormones is a blessing for only a bunch of lucky bastards.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 06:13:54 AM »
Why the hell would someone come off TRT?

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
Yup...Reg Park for example. Can find some good stuff with this link..
http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/products/strength-bulk-training-weight-lifters-body-builders-reg-park

Reg Park was juiced to the gills....Another stinkin liar....

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »
Why the hell would someone come off TRT?
First of all, you stop injecting testosterone into your body. Finally, you maintain this new habit.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 08:32:28 AM »
According to this article allegedly written by Reg Park he was doing ~90 sets per workout
http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-i-trained-reg-park.html

I've dabbled with full body workouts too and I really like them but I have to force myself to keep the sets per body part very low (4-5 sets chest, quads,lats,delts)and 3-4 for everything else. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 08:45:33 AM »
According to this article allegedly written by Reg Park he was doing ~90 sets per workout
http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-i-trained-reg-park.html

I've dabbled with full body workouts too and I really like them but I have to force myself to keep the sets per body part very low (4-5 sets chest, quads,lats,delts)and 3-4 for everything else. 
I believe he did do split routines later. However he did start in Leeds England with Full Body that i know from  good sources. He was later a British Army (PTI) Physical Training Instructor. His Son Jon Jon was a good Athlete too. Yes you have to keep the sets between 2-4 per exercise. I know Oldtimer does 2 sets and gets great results but uses more training to failure.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 09:25:40 AM »
Epic complications of a simple task.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
Epic complications of a simple task.
Depends on your Goals and fitness.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
be nice to see some pics of the impressive naturals on here for motivation

lots of claims about fat melting away with no evidence  ???
T

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »
I believe he did do split routines later. However he did start in Leeds England with Full Body that i know from  good sources. He was later a British Army (PTI) Physical Training Instructor. His Son Jon Jon was a good Athlete too. Yes you have to keep the sets between 2-4 per exercise. I know Oldtimer does 2 sets and gets great results but uses more training to failure.

yep, the link I provided even talks about his split routines (mostly just doing legs separately from upper body).  His volume is fucking insane and the workouts must have taken 3-4 hours.