Author Topic: 1981 Olympia Robbery of peace  (Read 14079 times)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: 1981 Olympia Robbery of peace
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 05:09:25 AM »
I personally had him in about 5th or 6th,he was gifted the win because of what happened in 80 and 81.I thought Samir should have won in 82,when his number was called out for the first comparison he jumped up in the air,he knew he was in the shape of his life.i had him 1st,Casey 2nd,Zane 3rd.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »
I personally had him in about 5th or 6th,he was gifted the win because of what happened in 80 and 81.I thought Samir should have won in 82,when his number was called out for the first comparison he jumped up in the air,he knew he was in the shape of his life.i had him 1st,Casey 2nd,Zane 3rd.

And because of Platz's torn bicep you felt he was deserving of such a lowered spot?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
Funk, notice how the shorter BBs seem to age well? Benfatto, Padilla, Labrada, etc.

I wonder if it has something to do with carrying less msas; it's easier to upkeep.

Then there is that other old bodybuilder, he was from South America or something, you've posted pics before. He looked amazing into his 80s and 90s and verrrry short.
good point less surface area less to go wrong...
F

TSNWGS

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 10:25:04 AM »
In 1980 in the movie total rebuild platz is told how ripped he looks and he says yeah but next year, next year for sure, if you look in 1980 platz was sick looking if he would of been the identical condition he was in 1980 he would of been mr. Olympia. It seems all the competitors were mentally off focus because of
The late entry news of Arnold Schwarzenegger added To the lineup! Mentally they knew all their prep and training had just went out the door.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
I was at the show and at the night show I ran down into the isle during the announcements. Things really went crazy when Platz was announced 3rd. Platz should have won IMO he was like granite. Danny looked great but was just a tad too depleted.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
And because of Platz's torn bicep you felt he was deserving of such a lowered spot?

Remember at this time(early 80s) any muscle tears in a contest were virtually unheard of and anyone with torn muscles were deemed to be unsymetrical and placed low because of it.Obviously the judging criteria changed in the 90s with Dorians torn muscles.I`d have put Fox and Makkawy ahead of Tom in this show.

TSNWGS

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 11:07:15 AM »
Platz is one of my favorite bbers but I actually think his small arms and huge legs just were too much of a noticeable flaw. If he had injected more in his arms and trained them like his legs he would of been mr. Olympia, that's why Arnold was so ahead of his time because be would actually inject right into the muslce every muslce, he was the first person to do site injections and would go to Germany and site inject for months at a time!

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
Franco sucked the right cocks leading up to the show. Plain and simple.

Actually, Franco was the biggest name and so arrogant that he felt the rest of competition  had to suck his cock to even compete against him ....All I can say is there is more to just look at some 35 year old bunch of pics, it was another era.. Franco or the judges had no respect for the likes of Padilla Platz etc...

Don't let the "broken English all smiles" fool you, Franco was cockier than Arnold, a Weider boy ,elite BB 76'Mr.O, a promoter and close friend with judges....again, it was another time and with all the big names of the 70's gone they couldn't care less if Platz,Padilla etc were in it .... Franco coming back from devastating injury was to win it no matter what .

Platz was the uncrowned champ in 81' btw

WoooSHHHHHHHHHH

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »
not as big a robbery as this one guy on right came in 5 th mr a aau version..
F

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 01:47:43 PM »
not as big a robbery as this one guy on right came in 5 th mr a aau version..

What's the story behind this placing? He didn't "please" the judges or was he too conditioned for the time? Gironda supposedly was marked down for being too conditioned.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 02:11:02 PM »
I was at the show and at the night show I ran down into the isle during the announcements. Things really went crazy when Platz was announced 3rd. Platz should have won IMO he was like granite. Danny looked great but was just a tad too depleted.

Either way it should not have been Franco.

What's even more amazing to me is that Dickerson was way worse in 82 than in 81 yet he placed higher than guys who he placed lower than the previous year? Judging is SO biased and political.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 02:37:37 PM »
In 1980 in the movie total rebuild platz is told how ripped he looks and he says yeah but next year, next year for sure, if you look in 1980 platz was sick looking if he would of been the identical condition he was in 1980 he would of been mr. Olympia. It seems all the competitors were mentally off focus because of
The late entry news of Arnold Schwarzenegger added To the lineup! Mentally they knew all their prep and training had just went out the door.

Would have/would've

(NOT "would of")

HTH

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »
Actually, Franco was the biggest name and so arrogant that he felt the rest of competition  had to suck his cock to even compete against him ....All I can say is there is more to just look at some 35 year old bunch of pics, it was another era.. Franco or the judges had no respect for the likes of Padilla Platz etc...

Don't let the "broken English all smiles" fool you, Franco was cockier than Arnold, a Weider boy ,elite BB 76'Mr.O, a promoter and close friend with judges....again, it was another time and with all the big names of the 70's gone they couldn't care less if Platz,Padilla etc were in it .... Franco coming back from devastating injury was to win it no matter what .

Platz was the uncrowned champ in 81' btw

WoooSHHHHHHHHHH
Exactly. Once again, he sucked the right cocks.

WooooSHHHHHH BUKAKE

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »
No back pics, all credibility lost.  Franco's best body part was his amazing back.
^^
Here he is on the RIGHT at the 1981 contest, his back looks pretty much like his best body-part there...

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 02:55:13 PM »
Y'all can see his back from 0:30 onwards...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »
What's the story behind this placing? He didn't "please" the judges or was he too conditioned for the time? Gironda supposedly was marked down for being too conditioned.
the aau's crazy system of judging guy in middle was first guy to graduate college and  win mr america . athletic points, grooming points. iq points.that's what kept sergio oliva and harold poole from winning also.
F

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »
Franco is a complete arrogant asshole. Was at the seminar the next day all he did was walk around like Gods gift would not talk to any of the fans.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2016, 05:56:07 PM »
Franco is a complete arrogant asshole. Was at the seminar the next day all he did was walk around like Gods gift would not talk to any of the fans.

disgusted did you ever meet mike mentzer

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »

Bertil Fox was marked down for being too large and muscular in 1982 and as a result was forced into losing 25-30 pounds of competition bodyweight and lost his wow factor in the process.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2016, 06:03:36 PM »
Would have/would've

(NOT "would of")

HTH

That shit drives me crazy as well, along with there/their/they're.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »
^^
Here he is on the RIGHT at the 1981 contest, his back looks pretty much like his best body-part there...

Reminds me of Yates in 1997. All he had left was his back.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2016, 06:52:31 PM »
Bertil Fox was marked down for being too large and muscular in 1982 and as a result was forced into losing 25-30 pounds of competition bodyweight and lost his wow factor in the process.

No one " forced " him to lose anything. He came to heavy and was soundly beaten by lighter guys who were in much better condition. That's the whole essence of bodybuilding is to find YOUR perfect balance between size , shape and conditioning.

Shawn Ray tried to compete heavier and his conditioning suffered for it , as well as his placement. Same reason Robby Robinson lost to Zane , same reason Sergio lost to Arnold.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »

It will please you to know I was standing beside Franco about 10 years ago and the Sardinian Samson looked like a Sardinian Shrimp. Beyond withered, tiny and hopeless. No one gave the dork the time of day. Fourth-tier pros were receiving more fanfare than Franco was.

And before people state he's now old, Bill Pearl is, like, 20-odd years older, and that man looks like he could still throw your ass across a room.

Without mountains of D-Bol, Franco was just another midget spaghetti jockey.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »
Reminds me of Yates in 1997. All he had left was his back.

And his obliques.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
John Hansen interviewed the head judge for this show, very interesting and explains how fucked the judging was:

http://bodybuildinglegendsshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/golden-age-Season-3-1981-Mr-Olympia-Episode-1-Roger-Schwab-FULL-SHOW.mp3