Author Topic: OBAMA'S BEAUTIFUL LEGACY: Deficits 75% lower, Gas at $2, Unemployment at 5%  (Read 7823 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Budget deficit was already down for a few years even BEFORE sequester.....Obama pushed through TARP to save the banks, PLUS saved the Auto industry which is now selling more cars than ever before in U.S. history, OPEC destroyed....Oil dependence way down, and U.S. now gets 5% of its energy from green programs Obama put in place

THANKS OBAMA
Actually you're wrong

https://www.lordabbett.com/en/perspectives/economicinsights/dramatically-dropping-deficits-keep-dreaming.html

"1) The sequester cut spending after the first quarter of calendar 2013. It is, in fact, safe to say that the entire spending decline was due to it. Had it not occurred, the deficit would have come in at closer to $764 billion—still a significant improvement over fiscal 2012, but less dramatic than was actually recorded. Though the sequester will likely become more significant going forward, additional absolute cuts are unlikely."

And bush put together the bank bail outs, remember him having both McCain and Obama to the White House to talk on it? Even Obama agrees that bush put together the bank bail outs. Obama signed it yes but he didn't create it.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
And actually the more I thought about it, it was bush who bailed out the banks...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-americans-think-obama-not-bush-enacted-bank-bailouts-poll-shows/

"Nearly half of Americans incorrectly think President Obama started the the bank bailout program, otherwise known as the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), a new poll shows.

Just 34 percent of Americans surveyed by the Pew Research Center correctly said that TARP was enacted by the Bush administration. Almost half -- 47 percent -- think Mr. Obama started the bank bailout, according to the survey, conducted July 1-5. There was no partisan divide on the issue.

The TARP program was created in 2008 to stabilize the financial system. The Treasury Department has committed more than $500 billion to more than 800 firms through the program. While Mr. Obama did not enact TARP, his administration has largely been responsible for administering it."

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Oh and it was bush he started the auto bail outs too....
http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/an-inconvenient-truth-it-was-george-w-bush-who-bailed-out-the-automakers

"On December 19, 2008, a week after Republicans in the Senate had killed a bailout bill proposed by Democrats, saying it didn’t impose big enough wage cuts on the U.A.W., Bush unilaterally agreed to lend $17.4 billion of taxpayers’ money to General Motors and Chrysler, of which $13.4 billion was to be extended immediately. He had to twist the law to get the money. Deprived of congressional funding, he diverted cash from the loathed TARP program, which Congress had already passed, but which was supposed to be restricted to rescuing the banks. “I didn’t want there to twenty-one-per-cent unemployment,” he said to a meeting of the National Automobile Dealers Association in Las Vegas last month, explaining why he acted as he did. “I didn’t want history to look back and say, ‘Bush could have done something but chose not to do it.’ ”

Obama, who in December, 2008, was the President-elect, publicly supported Bush’s move, saying it was a “necessary step to avoid a collapse in our auto industry that would have devastating consequences for our economy and our workers.” After taking office six weeks later, Obama put together an auto task force that extended tens of billions more in emergency financing to Detroit over the ensuing months, and also did what appears to have been a pretty good job in restructuring G.M. and selling Chrysler to Fiat."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
NEARLY doubled under Obama.   You're right.

President Bush added the second greatest amount to the debt, at $5.849 trillion. But he added a lot more percentage-wise, more than doubling the debt.

Sorry, don't be sad.

You are really dumb.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Actually you're wrong

And bush put together the bank bail outs, remember him having both McCain and Obama to the White House to talk on it? Even Obama agrees that bush put together the bank bail outs. Obama signed it yes but he didn't create it.

If you look at my exact wording I stated that Obama PUSHED THROUGH the Tarp law....He is the one who ACTUALLY signed it into law and deserves the credit since it's HIS signature on the bill....as for bailing out the auto industry, EVERYONE acknowledges that Obama is credited with that.....

Really weird that now that the Auto bailout is a resounding success, ALL OF A SUDDEN people like you who were initially complaining about it and bashing Obama for it, are now trying to take the credit away from Obama and give it to Bush, meanwhile when it initially went through I didn't hear one person blame it on Bush

STRANGE................. .................

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
worst president in your lifetime ?

LOL - I guess during Obama's two terms he allowed multiple terrorist attacks on US soil that killed thousands of citizens, started two disastrous wars with no plan on how to win (costing us a few trillion dollars and killing and maiming tens of thousands of more citizens and creating fodder for the creation of worldwide terror networks) and then to cap it off in his last months in office watched the stock and credit markets crash setting off job losses of hundreds of thousands each month and with tens of thousands of people losing their homes.

Yeah, I can see why you'd think he was the worst president in your lifetime

Agreed....its this type of conservative overreach and overstatement that constantly gets them into trouble

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
The national debt isn't just bigger.  It grew more under Obama's watch than under all previous administrations in U.S. history.  That is a crippling amount of debt.

$20 trillion man: National debt nearly doubles during Obama presidency
By Dave Boyer - The Washington Times
Sunday, November 1, 2015

When President Obama signs into law the new two-year budget deal Monday, his action will bring into sharper focus a part of his legacy that he doesn’t like to talk about: He is the $20 trillion man.

Mr. Obama’s spending agreement with Congress will suspend the nation’s debt limit and allow the Treasury to borrow another $1.5 trillion or so by the end of his presidency in 2017. Added to the current total national debt of more than $18.15 trillion, the red ink will likely be crowding the $20 trillion mark right around the time Mr. Obama leaves the White House.

When Mr. Obama took over in January 2009, the total national debt stood at $10.6 trillion. That means the debt will have very nearly doubled during his eight years in office, and there is much more debt ahead with the abandonment of “sequestration” spending caps enacted in 2011.

. . . .

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/1/obama-presidency-to-end-with-20-trillion-national-/?page=all

I will acknowledge that you are somewhat correct in terms of the national debt under Obama, but as usual you are only telling half the story...HOWEVER....for a few years after Obama was elected, a lot of that deficit was still a hangover from the Bush years.....we were still paying for two wars, unneeded tax cuts for the wealthy, and Bush's unfunded Prescription Drug Bill.........plus had lower tax receipts due to the massive unemployment Obama was left with....

SORRY AGAIN

tonymctones

• Getbig V
If you look at my exact wording I stated that Obama PUSHED THROUGH the Tarp law....He is the one who ACTUALLY signed it into law and deserves the credit since it's HIS signature on the bill....as for bailing out the auto industry, EVERYONE acknowledges that Obama is credited with that.....

Really weird that now that the Auto bailout is a resounding success, ALL OF A SUDDEN people like you who were initially complaining about it and bashing Obama for it, are now trying to take the credit away from Obama and give it to Bush, meanwhile when it initially went through I didn't hear one person blame it on Bush

STRANGE................. .................
Actually dumb ass you're wrong it was bush who signed tarp, do some research and it was bush who used those tarp funds to initially bail out the auto industry...

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Actually dumb ass you're wrong it was bush who signed tarp, do some research and it was bush who used those tarp funds to initially bail out the auto industry...
Really?...it was Bush?...wow if you're right I really blew that one....I thought it was Obama..That s what I get for believing Soul Crusher's propaganda....I remember he always stated that it was Obama and thats one reason he was angry at him

Thanks for the correction

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Really?...it was Bush?...wow if you're right I really blew that one....I thought it was Obama..That s what I get for believing Soul Crusher's propaganda....I remember he always stated that it was Obama and thats one reason he was angry at him

There were two TARP payouts.  The first big payout was by Bush and the second was Obama based on Tim Geitner's recommendation.  Don't forget Geitner was a Wall Street bitch.
Funny thing and people don't realize is that at the time Oil was at about $20.  Gas was cheap.  The gov forced all banks to take bailout money including Goldman Sachs who didn't need it.  So Goldman took $7 billion, dumped it into Oil, ran the price up, took their profits and were the first to repay back the bailout money.  This essentially ran gas and oil prices up for the next decade.  Fucking Government.

tonymctones

• Getbig V

Obama did tarp 2 and the failed stimulus package

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Obama did tarp 2 and the failed stimulus package

so we were both somewhat right then?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
There were two TARP payouts.  The first big payout was by Bush and the second was Obama based on Tim Geitner's recommendation.  Don't forget Geitner was a Wall Street bitch.Funny thing and people don't realize is that at the time Oil was at about $20.  Gas was cheap.  The gov forced all banks to take bailout money including Goldman Sachs who didn't need it.  So Goldman took $7 billion, dumped it into Oil, ran the price up, took their profits and were the first to repay back the bailout money.  This essentially ran gas and oil prices up for the next decade.  Fucking Government.

Good job......thanks!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Eight year recovery (and still not recovered) growing at less than 3% (worse than Pres on record) more on the government dole, more people out of work, etc, etc, etc

You have an MBA from where again?

Name another big nation in the world who has had a better recovery than us???????????????????????????????.......China is in the dumps now.....Russia's economy is actually SHRINKING......the European nations are a mess...Brazil has tanked...

Obama actually looks good compared to everyone else,...AGAIN..HIGHEST AND LONGEST SUSTAINED JOB GROWTH IN PROBABLY THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD....definitely in the history of the United States

Also the days of 3-4% GDP growth is probably over...for almost ALL nations

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
So we suck just slightly less then everybody else....great being compared to China and friggen Brazil.....really! One country works its people to death in slave factories and builds fake cities and the other boasts amazon tribes that have never seen white people or a an indoor shitter.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I will acknowledge that you are somewhat correct in terms of the national debt under Obama, but as usual you are only telling half the story...HOWEVER....for a few years after Obama was elected, a lot of that deficit was still a hangover from the Bush years.....we were still paying for two wars, unneeded tax cuts for the wealthy, and Bush's unfunded Prescription Drug Bill.........plus had lower tax receipts due to the massive unemployment Obama was left with....

SORRY AGAIN

Somewhat correct?   ::)  What Obama did with the national debt was unpatriotic. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...

I don't know about that.

The debt is only slightly higher than the GDP of the country.

That's not a huge ratio really. However, it really really REALLY needs to start getting paid back down. We can not continue like this forever.

Here's the problem though... We can't just cut the so called "welfare" portions. You have to cut them all.

You would have to cut medicare, social security, (which you paid into), and defense as well.

Those are the big spenders and let's be honest, who is going to cut them all? Which constituency is ok with cutting them? I don't know of any possible way that any of them can get cut because even Republicans refuse to cut SS. They refuse to cut Defense. They only want to cut the so called "welfare" portions.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I don't know about that.

That's not a huge ratio really. However, it really really REALLY needs to start getting paid back down. We can not continue like this forever.

Here's the problem though... We can't just cut the so called "welfare" portions. You have to cut them all.

You would have to cut medicare, social security, (which you paid into), and defense as well.

Those are the big spenders and let's be honest, who is going to cut them all? Which constituency is ok with cutting them? I don't know of any possible way that any of them can get cut because even Republicans refuse to cut SS. They refuse to cut Defense. They only want to cut the so called "welfare" portions.

It's not somewhat correct that the national debt exploded under Obama, or that he added more than all previous presidents combined.  Those are the absolute facts. 

How we deal the national debt is a separate question. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
It's not somewhat correct that the national debt exploded under Obama, or that he added more than all previous presidents combined.  Those are the absolute facts. 

How we deal the national debt is a separate question. 

No, I don't think it's correct that it's necessarily "unpatriotic". If so, that would make a lot of the previous presidents unpatriotic. Reagan, Bush I, Bush II.

I believe they loved the US and they also doubled the debt. (Actually there are a lot more), but going back 30 years is enough I think.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
No, I don't think it's correct that it's necessarily "unpatriotic". If so, that would make a lot of the previous presidents unpatriotic. Reagan, Bush I, Bush II.

I believe they loved the US and they also doubled the debt. (Actually there are a lot more), but going back 30 years is enough I think.

I don't necessarily think it's unpatriotic.  I was quoting Obama. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
So we suck just slightly less then everybody else....great being compared to China and friggen Brazil.....really! One country works its people to death in slave factories and builds fake cities and the other boasts amazon tribes that have never seen white people or a an indoor shitter.

What about the WHITE countires??????..you sure conveniently overlooked them....we are doing better than Russia, and ALL of Europe

Are you EVER HAPPY???

andreisdaman

• Getbig V

and again you are telling half-truths...again in Obama's first few years in office...still paying for Iraq...still paying for Afghanistan...etc.....so me of the deficit was a hangover from that...and you know this...you choose to be purposely ignorant

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
I don't know about that.

Agreed..you would need a guy who is a real asshole, and who doesn't care about being re-elected or what people think about him....he would come in for one term and just slash everything (including Defense) and not give a shit...maybe Trump is that guy ;D

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
I don't necessarily think it's unpatriotic.  I was quoting Obama. 

AH.

True.