Author Topic: The FDA vs the Supplement Industry  (Read 2795 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: The FDA vs the Supplement Industry
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »
1941?  Stunt, did people actually use supplements for bodybuilding prior to the ban of anabolics (in 89 or 91 or whenever it was)?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 10:13:11 PM »
1941?  Stunt, did people actually use supplements for bodybuilding prior to the ban of anabolics (in 89 or 91 or whenever it was)?

Sure, but it was very limited till the 70's. A very basic protein powder, liver tablets, brewer's yeast, multi vitamin, cod liver oil was maybe all you heard about.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
Don't forget rose hips....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 07:13:57 AM »
"Stunt, did people actually use supplements for bodybuilding prior to the ban of anabolics (in 89 or 91 or whenever it was)?"

CEPHISSIUS, anabolic steroids were added to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act in the Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990.

And YES, People (especially those involve within the weight lifting game) did use supplements prior to the ban of anabolics, but as BB said, it was limited and nothing like it is today.

I should add that the history of powered supplements is another very interesting story within this world of lifting heavy things and looking in the mirror.

I'll do my best to elaborate later  but it all started when the Weider brothers and the Bob Hoffman crew (they were major competitors whom I personally witnessed on a couple of occasions) learned that once a customer bought a metal barbell and a shit-load of heavy plates, they seldom placed a second order because heavy stuff like barbells and plates simply don't wear out nor fall apart.

But if you offer a consumable, they would come back a second, third and fourth time.

And that it how it all started ..... but there is much more to that story which you may find to be of interest.

For instance ... the fact that neither Ben nor Bob was the first to offer powered protein in a 'cardboard' container.

More on all that stuff to follow if there is any interest.

SYNC.... I don't recall anything about Rose Hips back in them good old days except for their high vitamin C content.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 07:20:48 AM »
Another subject that may be of interest ...... Steroid history and how and why it became a felony!

I'll try to tackle this one shortly from my perspective!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 08:55:52 AM »
I'm somewhat surprised that Jared Wheat/Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals
is still a powerful force within the supplement industry.

Even more surprising is Gaspari's association with him.