Author Topic: Critics Call on FDA to Ban Concentrated Caffeine  (Read 1507 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Critics Call on FDA to Ban Concentrated Caffeine
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »
April 27, 2016 -- Concentrated caffeine products are a major public health hazard and should be banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, critics say.

After two young men, Logan Stiner and Wade Sweatt, died from caffeine overdoses in 2014, the FDA started warning consumers about the products, ABC News reported.

But lawmakers and advocates want the FDA to ban concentrated caffeine, which can be bought online as a powder, liquid or even an inhaler. The products are often marketed as health supplements, with little or no warning about potency.

One teaspoon of powdered pure caffeine is the equivalent of 25 cups of coffee, according toABC News.

On Tuesday, the FDA said it has received no reports of adverse events associated with concentrated caffeine since it sent warning letters in August 2015 to five companies that produced the products.

Lawmakers say they're upset that the FDA has not taken more action on the issue and fear that it will take more deaths for the agency to completely ban the products, ABC Newsreported.

"It's like an explosive, a catastrophe waiting to happen," Sen Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., told reporters Tuesday.

One of the groups calling for a ban on concentrated caffeine products is the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CPSI).

"It is astonishing that a substance that is fatal for adults in the amount of two tablespoons is sold cheaply over the Internet as loose powder in large bags without clear warnings," Laura MacCleery, the group's regulatory affairs director, said in a statement.

While the five companies targeted by the FDA stopped making the products, that did not solve the problem.

"After only a quick Google search, we were able to order a small bottle of liquid caffeine from South Korea that contains an astonishing 9,000 milligrams of caffeine -- enough to kill nearly seven people -- and yet the label says only to use it 'sparingly,' " MacCleery said.

"We easily purchased large bags of pure powder sufficient to kill several dozen people, and a gallon jug of what looks like water but is actually a highly caffeinated liquid -- a cup of which would be a fatal dose," she added.

"A ban on such products would allow enforcement action against any company selling it -- not just the five that received a warning letter," MacCleery explained.

"It would mean that such products could be seized by Customs at the border. It would also send a far clearer signal to the public about the risks. Any action less than a ban would be confirmation that FDA has lost its way," she concluded.   TL: DR: FY

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20160428/critics-fda-caffeine-powder

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Re: Critics Call on FDA to Ban Concentrated Caffeine
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:08:21 AM »
I read stories about kids in high schools taking the stuff by the teaspoons.

I almost went to the ER once due to an adverse reaction to something in a pre-workout powder, the original Mr. Hyde. Something fucked with my brain/CNS too much.
a

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »
I read stories about kids in high schools taking the stuff by the teaspoons.

I almost went to the ER once due to an adverse reaction to something in a pre-workout powder, the original Mr. Hyde. Something fucked with my brain/CNS too much.

how much was too much?  600mg?

what's the highest you guys have gone before, adding up ECA+ coffee + pre-workout products, in one sitting?

milone79

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
HERE IS AN IDEA BAN IDIOTS!!!!!  keep the FDA and the rest of the GOVT. fucktards out of our lives....real adults can decide on our own what and how much of something we can put into our bodies!!!

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »

what's the highest you guys have gone before, adding up ECA+ coffee + pre-workout products, in one sitting?
ive done close to 1000mg per day
And like 800 in a sitting

I've noticed by the end of the day I crash when I go over 800
w

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »

Large coffee at Starbucks is about 350-400mg of caff depending on what kind of brew it is.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 05:35:24 PM »
I know something else that's banned in Canada and the USA. It's called crack and there it's amazing how many stopped taking it when it was banned
"

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
I once did like 1500mg in a day and it was too much. You feel different like something is definitely something wrong or ill.

That's a fucking lot of caffeine though. Who drinks that much red piss bull?

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:58 PM »
pure caffeine is very dangerous, i mean it really can kill you .

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 09:51:34 PM »
i took three spoons of jacked 3d, because i didn't read the instructions the first time i tried it. almost went to the e.room. the next day read the bottle, and it said to start off with only one half of a spoonful. shit was dangerous.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 12:01:42 AM »
pure caffeine is very dangerous, i mean it really can kill you .

So  can steroids!