Author Topic: Getbigger - "Radical Plato", formerly known as "Ekul" has passed away.  (Read 32571 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Makes me wonder, are there proven and effective ways to overcome a severe depression? Some self-help gurus would prob answer this with a strong 'yes', but really ???

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
Makes me wonder, are there proven and effective ways to overcome a severe depression? Some self-help gurus would prob answer this with a strong 'yes', but really ???

Yes. You only need to go back in time and choose different parents for a person (or at least a different upbringing). The question sounds pretty much like: is there a proven to way to make a weak person strong? It really depends on how much and how many weaknesses does a said person possess. Are they inherited or acquired/learned...

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion

Short answer, no.

For major depression, medication and therapy in combination is "associated with the best outcomes", but it's certainly not a cure.  Some respond very well to treatment but others are essentially unable to be helped.

Our understanding of mental illness is limited, and so accordingly are the treatments available to us.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Yes. You only need to go back in time and choose different parents for a person (or at least a different upbringing). The question sounds pretty much like: is there a proven to way to make a weak person strong? It really depends on how much and how many weaknesses does a said person possess. Are they inherited or acquired/learned...

I realize that it's a very general question since everyone's situation is different, and I understand the genetic & nurture part (upbringing, economics, social life, relationships, etc). I guess Ekul's inner damage was just to strong, no matter which therapy & meds he got.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
I realize that it's a very general question since everyone's situation is different, and I understand the genetic & nurture part (upbringing, economics, social life, relationships, etc). I guess Ekul's inner damage was just to strong, no matter which therapy & meds he got.

Exactly, sometime people are damaged (ironically, by their own families) way too much to be able to help them.. That's a sad state of affairs for many people, but they are big money for a big pharma, which create these "medications", which are essentially the same as alcohol or narcotics, just with less sides (and less obvious sides), numbs down a person to make it bearable.. Honestly, I'm not an expert in psychology, but I hardly believe there are any "cures" for major cases, it's just way too complicated and multidimensional, it's like a damaged version of operating system which runs software full of bugs. You have to not only install correct updates, to clean viruses, but sometimes you have to reinstall whole OS to make a difference, and it's pretty much impossible to do with a grown adult.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Short answer, no.

For major depression, medication and therapy in combination is "associated with the best outcomes", but it's certainly not a cure.  Some respond very well to treatment but others are essentially unable to be helped.

Our understanding of mental illness is limited, and so accordingly are the treatments available to us.

Drop the word "cure." There is no cure in the mental health field and no good therapist will endorse a 100% cure. I don't know why people even bring up the word "cure." It's the wrong word to use, and will hardly ever be used in a professional setting.

Treatment/psychotherapy has really only been around since the 1970's. In 40 years, there has been enormous strides. Obviously, compared to many other fields, its a relatively new field. Like any other field, we are limited by time and resources.
X

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
Sad news, RIP

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
i went back and read some of the interactions i had with him, i feel bad about some of the things i said

E
E

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Drop the word "cure." There is no cure in the mental health field and no good therapist will endorse a 100% cure. I don't know why people even bring up the word "cure." It's the wrong word to use, and will hardly ever be used in a professional setting.

Treatment/psychotherapy has really only been around since the 1970's. In 40 years, there has been enormous strides. Obviously, compared to many other fields, its a relatively new field. Like any other field, we are limited by time and resources.

With treatment, some people are able to make a complete recovery from their mental illness....It's as if the treatment "cured" them  :o

And while psychiatry is still a nascent field, I'm not sure where you go the idea it only dates back to the 70's

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
Sad. I liked his persona and posts on the boards.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
He had fun in life, so it wasn't all misery for him.  He had fun here on Getbig and other places he mentioned, he had fun making Photoshops and getting reactions from them.  He undoubtedly had fun in many ways.

Anyone buying and using drugs from most anywhere, though, including the stuff had on the "dark web" which RP mentioned getting, should know there are drugs out there which can break a person's mind and cause that person to want to self-destruct.  So it becomes a race to either get over such overwhelming feelings or do something permanent which cannot be undone.

If he were here, no doubt he would agree.  So be careful what you do.

Fortress

• Getbig V
Strange thing is, I almost never even glance at the stickied threads.

Just a few minutes ago I did. :(

I had some cool back-and-forths with Radical Plato. Found him to be extremely intelligent and interesting. In my estimation, he added a lot to Getbig, whether you liked him or not.

I did.

This is all so terribly sad. What a downer.

But what I'm going to do is turn it around. If he couldn't find happiness in his final days, I am going to find some for myself, for him.

Hails to Radical Plato!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Strange thing is, I almost never even glance at the stickied threads (?).

Just a few minutes ago I did.

:(

I had some cool back-and-forths with Radical Plato. Found him to be extremely intelligent and interesting. In my estimation, he added a lot to Getbig, whether you liked him or not.

I did.

But what I'm going to do is turn it around. If he couldn't find happiness in his final days, I am going to find some for myself, for him.

Hails to Radical Plato!

Here here! Go for a long bike ride in his honor. Film it on gopro if you have one.

Europe

• Getbig IV
My condolences, RIP..

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
PIP my at times cantankerous friend

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
i went back and read some of the interactions i had with him, i feel bad about some of the things i said

E

I know I had a view interactions with him , but, I don't think I said anything that bad or rude to him.
Doesn't really matter now .
Sad he's gone now and I wish his family and loved ones any possible peace dealing with their loss.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
Strange thing is, I almost never even glance at the stickied threads (?).

Just a few minutes ago I did.

:(

I did.

Hails to Radical Plato!

this is well said, just saw this thread as well.
"

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
eerie as hell:  :-\

A good friend of mine committed suicide two years back, his wife was having an affair, and that on top of other issues tipped him over the edge and he hung humself in the backyard.  I just got a copy of the coroners report today and found out that he was hung with his hands bound behind his back, his wife found him, and get this, called her lover to come over and help get him down.  Then she rang the emergency services, oh and it only came out at the inquest that she was having an affair, and when asked why she didn't tell police at the time, she replied " I didn't think it was relevant" - Anyway, it has brought up a bad memory and the coroners finding has said there is nothing suspicious.  I read the report, and they said it was possible to hang yourself with your hands behind your back, even though unusual.  What do you think?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
I could empathize with many things Radical was saying. RIP.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
I could empathize with many things Radical was saying. RIP.

I say this without being facetious, if you find yourself empathising too much with his some of his more extreme views, seek help. It seemed to me that his views on women, for example, were a result of him projecting his inner state, which sadly, was even worse than he was letting on.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
Dang. RIP.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
We had our ups and downs he and I, this is true, but ultimately he was a very interesting person with passionate views towards a wide variety of topics.

I will miss him. Things like this always get to me. We've lost many great members.

RIP  :'(

"1"

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
Always tough to read things like this.
The past doesn't have to define who you are. 

PIP
P

Necrosis

• Getbig V

Depression is not a weakness, no more then multiple sclerosis is, it's a physical illness of the brain, the changes are obvious.

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT

Not when it's a chemical imbalance. I believe when it's a particular life situation that causes it, there's ALWAYS a way out.