Author Topic: Fire Pit  (Read 2199 times)

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
Fire Pit
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »
any backyard weekend warriors know how to build DIY firepits? I want to build a more modern looking pit possibly pure concrete, and not go for the cheesey circle version with perfectly cut and boring "bricks" from Lowes. BBing related cuz fire cooks meat

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Fire Pit
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 03:45:05 PM »
Just dig a hole and put some concrete bricks on the bottom of it and fasten some steel panel on the sides in between the concrete bricks and dirt leaving on side open to lay wood in or whatever you want to burn. Vince and Daddywaddy approved.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
Just dig a hole and put some concrete bricks on the bottom of it and fasten some steel panel on the sides in between the concrete bricks and dirt leaving on side open to lay wood in or whatever you want to burn. Vince and Daddywaddy approved.

do you have a picture example? never heard of that before but sounds cool

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »
any backyard weekend warriors know how to build DIY firepits? I want to build a more modern looking pit possibly pure concrete, and not go for the cheesey circle version with perfectly cut and boring "bricks" from Lowes. BBing related cuz fire cooks meat

I "built" the one from Lowes and it's fine. Does a good job pitting the fire.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 04:16:21 PM »
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=fire%20pit&rs=typed&0=fire%7Ctyped&1=pit%7Ctyped

thanks but ive seen all those pinterest ones. kinda the same ones over n over again with those lowes bricks

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »
The finer points of this project elude me.  Would it not just be a hole in the ground with some rocks stacked around it?  If, for some inexplicable reason, a man wanted a fire pit in his back yard, wouldn't the whole basic pit/fire thing be the appeal, which would call for natural materials rather than concrete which is contrary to the primitive aesthetic one would seek to evoke in one's fire pit?

But if you're casting in concrete, plywood is the usual choice for a form.  Layers of thin stuff glued/screwed together makes curves.  Support forms strongly.  Diesel is  a cheap bondbreaker.  Also heard of used motor oil, but it's carcinogenic.  Knocking the form when the crete is wet will displace air bubbles and give you a finished surface.  Idk if you'd have to use a refractory mix.  Idk what to do about reinforcement bar either, since I think steel moves .001" per foot of length per degree F, so it might cause cracking rather than prevent it.  Concrete seems like an ugly and unnecessarily difficult and expensive material choice to me when there are easier, free, and more attractive methods.

Someone once warned me not to use river stones in heat because if water in the rock turns into steam and can't vent in time then the rock will blow up, which sounded like a .00001% possibility to me but there it is, I've repeated it anyhow.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »
And in the off season it would double as a miniature duck pond and mosquito habitat.

Buy a nice gas bbq.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 05:07:15 PM »
The finer points of this project elude me.  Would it not just be a hole in the ground with some rocks stacked around it?  If, for some inexplicable reason, a man wanted a fire pit in his back yard, wouldn't the whole basic pit/fire thing be the appeal, which would call for natural materials rather than concrete which is contrary to the primitive aesthetic one would seek to evoke in one's fire pit?

But if you're casting in concrete, plywood is the usual choice for a form.  Layers of thin stuff glued/screwed together makes curves.  Support forms strongly.  Diesel is  a cheap bondbreaker.  Also heard of used motor oil, but it's carcinogenic.  Knocking the form when the crete is wet will displace air bubbles and give you a finished surface.  Idk if you'd have to use a refractory mix.  Idk what to do about reinforcement bar either, since I think steel moves .001" per foot of length per degree F, so it might cause cracking rather than prevent it.  Concrete seems like an ugly and unnecessarily difficult and expensive material choice to me when there are easier, free, and more attractive methods.

Someone once warned me not to use river stones in heat because if water in the rock turns into steam and can't vent in time then the rock will blow up, which sounded like a .00001% possibility to me but there it is, I've repeated it anyhow.

thanks, yeah i was thinking maybe concrete might be too much work needed when there are really easier options, i just want it to look unique

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 05:33:27 PM »
thanks, yeah i was thinking maybe concrete might be too much work needed when there are really easier options, i just want it to look unique

I saw a gate on a country property yesterday that was a really nice bit of metal sculpture.  Tree branches, leaves, and honkey nuts (I swear, that's what they're called.)  And the rust looked great because that's the color they are.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »
How about good ol pit with rocks around it like you would do camping. Screw the bricks and machined stones.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 05:41:51 PM »
Or you could go full white trash and use tractor wheel rims.  Also make good chandeliers.  Fiddyfi gallon drums.  Warshing machine drums.  Or grandaddy's barra.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
A