Author Topic: Texas Rangers Clinch Home Field Advantage; Will Face Blue Jays in ALDS  (Read 39659 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Texas Rangers Win Second Straight AL West Title
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
Anyone but Boston.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
Anyone but Boston.

man, they're gonna be a force to be reckoned with year in and year out with that young core of talent.
(just maybe gotta add a starter via free agency when the need arises)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »
man, they're gonna be a force to be reckoned with year in and year out with that young core of talent.
(just maybe gotta add a starter via free agency when the need arises)

They have a sick core, but I'm banking on a few things:

1. Porcello returning to earth
2. Price contract already appears abysmal
3. Betts and a few having career type years
4. Continued bullpen decline.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »
They have a sick core, but I'm banking on a few things:

1. Porcello returning to earth
2. Price contract already appears abysmal
3. Betts and a few having career type years
4. Continued bullpen decline.

I agree with the above except for Betts having a career year in his age 23 season.  Unfortunately, I think he has a few more monster years in him.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2016, 12:05:09 PM »
I agree with the above except for Betts having a career year in his age 23 season.  Unfortunately, I think he has a few more monster years in him.

Not saying he's going to be bad, but I don't see him surpassing.

That said, I looked at his splits, almost .120 gain in OPS from Fenway.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »
should be a fun ALDS

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »
Texas Rangers face Toronto Blue Jays in ALDS

The Texas Rangers and the Toronto Blue Jays will be squaring off in the ALDS, with Game 1 being in Arlington on Thursday, October 6.

The Jays beat the Orioles, 5-2, on an 11th inning Edwin Encarnacion walkoff home run against Ubaldo Jimenez, while Cy Young Award candidate Zach Britton ended up not even getting into the game for Baltimore, Buck Showalter apparently deciding he needed to preserve him for a save opportunity that never arose.

And so we have a re-match of last year’s remarkable five game playoff series, and the Jays and Rangers facing each other for the first time since the infamous Rougned Odor/Jose Bautista punchout game earlier this year.

Toronto has an impressive offense, but is missing reliever Joaquin Benoit, who suffered a strained calf muscle while running out of the bullpen during a brawl in late September. In addition, Jays closer Roberto Osuna was lifted today with what looked like a possible elbow injury, which could further impact the strength of their pen.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Texas Rangers Clinch Home Field Advantage; Will Face Blue Jays in ALDS
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
Darvish 12ks in 6 innings during last start but I'm still rolling with the Lefty come game 1.

Rangers decide ALDS Game 1 starter, don’t announce who it is

ARLINGTON, Texas — The Texas Rangers have decided who their starting pitcher will be for the AL Division Series opener. Manager Jeff Banister just wasn’t ready Tuesday to make it public.

Before the Rangers worked out at home, and before finding out who they will play, Banister said he didn’t feel the need to announce Thursday’s starter.

It will be All-Star left-hander Cole Hamels (15-5, 3.32 ERA) or right-hander Yu Darvish (7-5, 3.41).

“I don’t think there’s any competitive disadvantage, and I don’t really believe there’s any competitive advantage,” Banister said. “I just feel like that until we know who we’re going to play, we’ll keep that in house.”

Hamels, who pitched his regular-season finale last Wednesday, threw a bullpen session Monday. Darvish had a session Tuesday, four days after his last start.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
Great 1st game!!   ;D

GO JAYS

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »
How can the #1 team in the A.L. have just a +8 Run Differential for the season?
... (and they played the Angels & Athletics 37 times)

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2016, 07:27:53 PM »
yes im a huge Jays fan. But putting that aside, I think the Jays really do have the advantage here. Their starting pitching has been fantastic this year and we all know what their bats can do!

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2016, 09:55:43 PM »
Joey Bats delivered a great, big fuck you to Texas.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »
2-0

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »
As a lifelong Rangers fan I must admit it's been pretty anti-climatic so far.

Both aces go out and get smashed AND the bats go ice cold.

They basically need a miracle at this point.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2016, 07:09:44 AM »
Great 1st game!!   ;D

GO JAYS
Good second game. Some heart-stopping moments, tho. Lady friend has a line on tics for 3rd game next series, so another dome visit this year may be in the offing. Go Jays!

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
As a lifelong Rangers fan I must admit it's been pretty anti-climatic so far.

Both aces go out and get smashed AND the bats go ice cold.

They basically need a miracle at this point.

Do you live near Arlington? 
I was surprised to see that you could get a ticket to the first two games for 7 bucks on Stubhub.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2016, 10:13:51 AM »
Do you live near Arlington?  
I was surprised to see that you could get a ticket to the first two games for 7 bucks on Stubhub.

I live about 3 miles from the park.

It's possible.

The start times were terrible.

3 pm on thursday and noon on friday.

I knew a few people who had to sell their tickets at a steep discount simply because they had to work.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2016, 10:30:19 AM »
I live about 3 miles from the park.

It's possible.

The start times were terrible.

3 pm on thursday and noon on friday.

I knew a few people who had to sell their tickets at a steep discount simply because they had to work.

when a team plays Toronto they get the worst start times since the Blue Jays draw minimal TV viewership in the U.S.

(more Canadians watched the AL wildcard game than Americans - despite the 9 or 10 times smaller Canadian population)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2016, 10:49:18 AM »
when a team plays Toronto they get the worst start times since the Blue Jays draw minimal TV viewership in the U.S.

(more Canadians watched the AL wildcard game than Americans - despite the 9 or 10 times smaller Canadian population
)

That's not surprising.

What is the Canadian population VERSUS the DFW population?

Nobody gives a shit about the Rangers I have always realized that.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »
Sanchez starting tomorrow for the Jays. He's been lights out all year.  If the Jays "manhandled" the Rangers 2 best starters.......i dont know what they got to put out there to beat Sanchez.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2016, 08:48:47 PM »
F'n Texas lol.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
Rangers fall in heartbreaker as season comes to end

DALLAS - Going into this game, it seemed that Colby Lewis was going to drag this team into a Game 4 in order for them to have the hopes of a Game 5. Instead, Lewis ended up only factoring in as a footnote in a game that had more twists than a desperate for ratings network drama, but the same conclusion as last year’s edition - the Rangers being eliminated from the postseason.

Though Texas struck first for the first time all series, pushing across a run thanks to a Carlos Gomez leadoff walk and a few groundouts in the top of the first, Toronto struck back against Lewis in the most predictable way possible for a Lewis start - a pair of home runs.

Ezequiel Carrera walked to begin the home half of the first, and an Edwin Encarnacion home run gave the Jays a 2-1 lead. Lewis got Jose Bautista to look at an 87 MPH fastball over the plate for a strikeout looking, but gave up a solo home run to Russell Martin on the second pitch of the next inning, extending Toronto’s lead to two runs.

After a quiet second, Elvis Andrus put some energy back into the Texas squad with a solo home run to left-center, his first career postseason home run. The next two hitters for Texas would go quietly, though, leaving Texas to trail 3-2, though not for much longer. A leadoff single from Carrera and a ground-rule double from Josh Donaldson gave Toronto back a two-run lead, and knocked Colby Lewis from the game.

Tony Barnette relieved Lewis, attempting to extend his three-inning scoreless streak in the playoffs so far. A single for Edwin Encarnacion scored Donaldson, but Barnette allowed no further runs through the bottom of the third, sending the Rangers to the fourth trailing 5-2.

Rougned Odor came to the plate with Adrian Beltre on with one out in the top of the fourth, to resounding boos in the Rogers Center. He responded to the crowd’s energy by hitting home run to deep centerfield, a two-run shot to pull the Rangers back within one.

Alex Claudio relieved Tony Barnette in the bottom of the fourth, holding Toronto scoreless with the help of his third double-play induced this series. The score remained the same after Toronto’s Aaron Sanchez struck out the Texas side swinging. Claudio then got the first hit of the bottom of the fifth, but was lifted for Jeremy Jeffress after allowing a ringing single to Josh Donaldson. Jeffress allowed a walk in the first postseason appearance of his career but induced an inning-ending double-play to keep the Jays from adding to their lead.

After two weak outs, Sanchez allowed a walk to Rougned Odor in the top of the sixth, followed by a Jonathan Lucory single, his first hit of the postseason. This ended Sanchez’s night, and Toronto brought in Joe Biagini, and Mitch Moreland, fresh off ending an 0-for-22 streak in Game 2 immediately hit a double just off the glove of a diving Kevin Pillar, scoring both Odor and Lucroy to give Texas their first lead since the top of the first.

Going into the bottom of the sixth, Jeremy Jeffress struck out the first batter, Russell Martin, but allowed a single to Troy Tulowitzki. Jeff Banister brought in Jake Diekman to face pinch-hitter Melvin Upton, Jr, who promptly doubled into deep left field. Tulowitzki held at third, however, and after intentionally walking Kevin Pillar, Keone Kela came in to relieve Diekman, who recorded no outs.

Kela looked hyped and a little wild in his outing, with a passed ball allowing Tulowitzki to score from first to bring the Jays back even with Texas, but a foul-out to Adrian Beltre from Darwin Barney and a highlight-reel catch from Nomar Mazara on a well-hit ball by Ezequiel Carrera kept the game tied. After a quiet top of the seventh for Texas, courtesy of Joe Biagini, Kela came back out and retired the Toronto side in order.

The game continued tied, as a combination of Biagini and Brett Cecil held Texas hitless in the top of eighth, and Matt Bush struck out the Toronto side in the bottom of the frame, two looking, one swinging. Roberto Osuna quickly retired the Texas hitters in order in the top of the ninth, and Jeff Banister sent Bush back out there for a second inning of work.

Bush pushed the game to extras with a strikeout, a flyout, and a popout, setting the stage for yet more drama in a series that certainly hasn’t been short of it. Osuna’s second inning went as well as his first, and Jeff Banister made a decision some would question - he left Matt Bush in to pitch a third inning. Bush, while pitching as well, if not better, than he had all season, had also never thrown more than two innings at a time.

Josh Donaldson led off the bottom of the tenth with a double to the wall in right-center field, and the decision was made to intentionally walk Edwin Encarnacion to face Jose Bautista in a potential double-play situation. Bautista worked a full count, but struck out swinging on a high, hot fastball. Russell Martin worked a full count, fouled off multiple pitches, but grounded into what looked like it should be an inning-ending double-play.

Heartbreakingly, at least, for Texas fans, it wasn’t. Elvis Andrus’ turn to Rougned Odor was solid, but a hard slide and a loose grip on the ball meant that Odor’s corresponding throw to Moreland was wide, and Moreland’s last-ditch attempt to catch the winning runner Donaldson at home was not quite in time. Odor’s throw was scored an error, and after a Texas challenge on Encarnacion’s slide at second that was denied, the Rangers’ season officially ended.

Two defensive miscues cost Texas the chance to advance - the passed ball in the sixth allowing Toronto to tie the game, and Odor’s errant throw at the very end. However, in a game that felt like it would be over by the end of the third, Texas was very much still in it, even if that only brought more heartbreak later in the evening.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2016, 07:40:16 PM »
 ;D

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »
 ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2016, 03:50:05 AM »
So, who is going to Boston next year, Encarnacion or Bautista?

I'd guess Edwin.
Y