Author Topic: Training revelation  (Read 2690 times)

bigmc

• Getbig V
Training revelation
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
working a body part 4 or 5 times a week fairly light in the 20 rep range

produces the same results as maxing out once a week risking injuries with low reps

been doing this six months now

body adapted to it fairly quickly i am doing fairly heavy weights for each body part 4 or 5 times a week for 20 reps

i feel much better and havent lost any size

you have to leave your ego at the door
T

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Training revelation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »
How many sets and exercises per body part and how do you group them.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:59:14 AM »
How many sets and exercises per body part and how do you group them.

full body circuit

one exercise per body part

three sets around 20 reps

T

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »
full body circuit

one exercise per body part

three sets around 20 reps

Interesting and you are keeping your size?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »
Interesting and you are keeping your size?

yep

i thought i would gradually shrink

but not so far
T

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 10:12:17 AM »
So you haven't grown?

So what's the point?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
working a body part 4 or 5 times a week fairly light in the 20 rep range

produces the same results as maxing out once a week risking injuries with low reps

been doing this six months now

body adapted to it fairly quickly i am doing fairly heavy weights for each body part 4 or 5 times a week for 20 reps

i feel much better and havent lost any size

you have to leave your ego at the door

interesting, ive found the opposite, and i was gonna post on it today so this thread is good.
I was doing pump sets, endless 8x8 gironda plans, etc...and then one day was like fuck that.

now i hit the gym 3 times a week for weights.
reverse pyramid heavy sets and just one exercise per bp. trying to keep all out first set to 5-6 reps, second set with less weight to 7 reps, last set with less weight to 8. stopping close to failure. so id do bench for chest like this. thats all for chest for the week.

ive noticed this low volume training with a cal defecit and max effort has me looking more althetic than ever. density in the muscles is coming out more, and im not totally fatiqued and bored with the gym anymore.

one thing that made sense when i look back on it, in college as a 18-21 yr old...my gains all came from this. after i started reading the mags and all believing the bullshit about splits, i got away from training heavy. and i never progressed more than i did as a natty teen in college. now granted, beginner gains are a factor here, but im experimenting to see if this is a way to pack on new fibers as i get older.

lately, ive hit a wall with progressing the weights any heavier. for example, i tried curling 135 by 5...and regressed to 4 reps today wtf...so i think i need to change up the exercise or try a new strenght program. any ideas?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »
So you haven't grown?

So what's the point?

im happy the size i am

quite happy to maintain

thats the point

and i enjoy it more etc
T

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »
So you haven't grown?

So what's the point?

Most people never do past a point unless drug intake increases.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
How long are you in the gym.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 10:21:11 AM »
How long are you in the gym.

about an hour

its still hard less rest more cardio involved

part of the reason i started was i hate cardio

so wanted to get some of the benefits while lifting
T

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
about an hour

its still hard less rest more cardio involved

part of the reason i started was i hate cardio

so wanted to get some of the benefits while lifting

Maybe try splitting body in half. You would still get each body part in 3 times a week and maybe you could add a set.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:43:25 AM »
interesting, ive found the opposite, and i was gonna post on it today so this thread is good.
I was doing pump sets, endless 8x8 gironda plans, etc...and then one day was like fuck that.

now i hit the gym 3 times a week for weights.
reverse pyramid heavy sets and just one exercise per bp. trying to keep all out first set to 5-6 reps, second set with less weight to 7 reps, last set with less weight to 8. stopping close to failure. so id do bench for chest like this. thats all for chest for the week.

ive noticed this low volume training with a cal defecit and max effort has me looking more althetic than ever. density in the muscles is coming out more, and im not totally fatiqued and bored with the gym anymore.

one thing that made sense when i look back on it, in college as a 18-21 yr old...my gains all came from this. after i started reading the mags and all believing the bullshit about splits, i got away from training heavy. and i never progressed more than i did as a natty teen in college. now granted, beginner gains are a factor here, but im experimenting to see if this is a way to pack on new fibers as i get older.

lately, ive hit a wall with progressing the weights any heavier. for example, i tried curling 135 by 5...and regressed to 4 reps today wtf...so i think i need to change up the exercise or try a new strenght program. any ideas?

Are you doing the entire body each workout?

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »
the growth is in the ego ?

IDont know?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 10:47:19 AM »
Are you doing the entire body each workout?

chest/delt mon

glute/back weds

bi/tri friday

cardio on tues and thurs and sat

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 10:53:03 AM »
chest/delt mon

glute/back weds

bi/tri friday

cardio on tues and thurs and sat

so for example your chest/delt day is a total of 6 sets and then you're done for the day?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
so for example your chest/delt day is a total of 6 sets and then you're done for the day?

correct,  compound lifts only. if im not worn out ill do a couple sets of delt raises or flies

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
correct,  compound lifts only. if im not worn out ill do a couple sets of delt raises or flies

no offense but how could you be worn from 3 sets of chest and 3 sets of delts?

I would think if you have any kind of decent strength you would need a lot of warm up to do a truly max "all out" set of 5-6 reps on your first set

have you considered doing higher reps with such low volume such as the first set to failure at 10-12, then add weight and fail at ~ 4-7 and then drop weight back to amount of first set and go to failure.

Either that or some kind rest pause (ala dogg crapp) or even just picking a weight and trying to do 30 - 40 reps in a specific amount of time regardless of amount of sets (i.e maybe you get 12, 10, 8,7,7,6)

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »
Maybe try splitting body in half. You would still get each body part in 3 times a week and maybe you could add a set.

ok will give it a shot

any ideas on cardio

i dont mind bike

T

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 11:15:42 AM »
no offense but how could you be worn from 3 sets of chest and 3 sets of delts?

I would think if you have any kind of decent strength you would need a lot of warm up to do a truly max "all out" set of 5-6 reps on your first set

have you considered doing higher reps with such low volume such as the first set to failure at 10-12, then add weight and fail at ~ 4-7 and then drop weight back to amount of first set and go to failure.

Either that or some kind rest pause (ala dogg crapp) or even just picking a weight and trying to do 30 - 40 reps in a specific amount of time regardless of amount of sets (i.e maybe you get 12, 10, 8,7,7,6)

none taken.

i do a few warm ups of increasing weight for example...45 lb bar, 135 x 6, 180 x 3 , 225 x 1... then 250 for that first heavy set of 5 reps. then take 10% off and get one or two more reps, then again.

yes i am going to change it up, as i said im not getting stronger anymore. i hit my peak for me, so i need to try another angle, but since im natty now, i find heavy weights (for me), less isolation time wasters, seem to be allowing me to make small strides again. i may do doggcrapp or something else. the example you gave was interesting. what is that called?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »
none taken.

i do a few warm ups of increasing weight for example...45 lb bar, 135 x 6, 180 x 3 , 225 x 1... then 250 for that first heavy set of 5 reps. then take 10% off and get one or two more reps, then again.

yes i am going to change it up, as i said im not getting stronger anymore. i hit my peak for me, so i need to try another angle, but since im natty now, i find heavy weights (for me), less isolation time wasters, seem to be allowing me to make small strides again. i may do doggcrapp or something else. the example you gave was interesting. what is that called?

i was worried about the amount of injuries you see in older people that continue to lift really heavily

if you take the body builders its the really strong ones that end up fucked like ronnie

dorian was forced to stop with injuries too

be interesting to see how someone like dexter trains who is 45 and still smashing it

im willing to bed he doesnt go that heavy
T

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »
i was worried about the amount of injuries you see in older people that continue to lift really heavily

if you take the body builders its the really strong ones that end up fucked like ronnie

dorian was forced to stop with injuries too

be interesting to see how someone like dexter trains who is 45 and still smashing it

im willing to bed he doesnt go that heavy

i dont think lifting 5-6 reps of a lift, for one exercise is really bad. doing this for hours, juicing hard, and doing various sets day in day out of heavy ass weight....thats different

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
none taken.

it's a concept that has many variations by different people

Here is one short article about it:  https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-use-the-40-reps-method-for-growth

similar method mentioned here but the goal is 50 reps spread out over 3 sets:  https://www.t-nation.com/training/guaranteed-muscle-mass

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 12:48:31 PM »
ok will give it a shot

any ideas on cardio

i dont mind bike

Why are you doing cardio?

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
im happy the size i am

He says staring out the window, clutching a cup Of tea with both hands as his girlfriend lies in bed weeping bitterly.