Author Topic: What would you do in this situation?  (Read 2795 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V
What would you do in this situation?
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the correct choice?

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
Re: What would you do in this situation?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:41:23 PM »
I would tell the one person on the other track to move his ass and help me untie the other 5 because you didn't say anything about that person is he tied, passed out or nothing.

But if there's no option d I will probably save the one, because the 5 probably deserve their death, probably.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »
I would tell the one person on the other track to move his ass and help me untie the other 5 because you didn't say anything about that person is he tied, passed out or nothing.

But if there's no option d I will probably save the one, because the 5 probably deserve their death, probably.

All six are tied

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »
Whichever one kills the most people.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
I would need to know the race, gender, and sexual orientation of the people involved so that I could make an informed decision.
K

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »
I would need to know the race, gender, and sexual orientation of the people involved so that I could make an informed decision.

For this site, all straight white males

devilsmile

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 03:53:33 PM »
It's like you whanna drink a little piss or a lot of piss.

If the 5 are anti trumpers and the one on the other side is pro trump I would save the trump supporter and then start filming.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
Give anal to Branch Warren.  Oh wait. Wrong thread.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »
Give anal to Branch Warren.  Oh wait. Wrong thread.

This thread can be about whatever you want it to be about.

BOW

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »
Is this about Greg plitt?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 04:24:18 PM »
Twirl my moustache.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
Doing nothing, you can be a passive bystander to 5 deaths, switching the track makes you culpable of murder in the death of one man.

Do nothing FTW.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »
There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the correct choice?

First do a quick assessment of the background and ethnicities of the people.

If the person on the sidetrack is Al Doggity-colored and the five tied up are not, i'd pull the lever.

If the five people tied up were AD2100s and Obama Sons aka Dindus and the person on the sidetrack was Shizzo/Cswol/Big Lenny/Matt C/SquadF/Dave Czech etc i would do nothing but watch the Trolley travel it's course into the sunset.

If Parker was on either side, i'd try my best to save him since he's a good black.

I'd also need to know each persons credit-rating beforehand before making any drastic choices and exclaiming "BAY LIKEY!" wrongly.

This vegan craze needs to stop, amem.
Q

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »

This scenario came up years ago to delve in self driving cars and choice that computers will have to make in the future.

a self driving car approaches an intersection where someone is in the crosswalk.. does it swerve and hit a crowd on the side or just run the one person over.

it's a morality based question.. there is no right answer....

the choice is this for humans...can you actively take part in killing a human or passively risk the lives of more people...

I say let the universe decide

I

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 04:38:03 PM »
In the words of Gandalf/Hercule Poirot/Morpheus from Matrix/Dr Spunk/Harry Potsmoker/Mr Spock:

The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few.
Q

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
God wanted it this way!!
Mr. AZ 2003

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 04:41:46 PM »
Yes I think it's best to leave it up to the fates.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 06:26:51 PM »
Let them get run over and then eat the corn out of their remains.
P

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 06:45:57 PM »
Are any of them Hillary Clinton supporters?   Knowing this would help with my decision 

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »

Are they fat?

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »
THE BRIDGE - THE STORY OF SACRIFICE
I'm sure most of you have read this story, but if you haven't watched the movie yet, I give you the link below, and you should watch it, you won't regret~ ^^

There once was a bridge operator who had a young son whom he dearly loved. They were inseparable. The young boy often asked to go with his father to watch him work - to watch him raise and lower the draw bridge, allowing the boats to pass under or the passenger trains to cross over. One day the father relented and allowed his son to come with him.

"Stay here at a safe distance," the father warned the boy, "while I go and raise the bridge for the coming boat." The boy stayed where his father had left him and watched the bridge as it slowly lifted up in the sky. Suddenly, the boy heard the faint cry of an approaching passenger train - coming quite a bit sooner than had been expected. The father, up in the control room, could hear neither the whistle of the train nor the warning cry of his son.

The boy saw the train racing closer and closer, and he started to run along the platform to reach his father. Knowing there was a lever he could pull near the operating gears of the bridge, the boy ran to the door in the platform and tried to lower himself down to reach the lever. Losing his balance, he fell in to where the gears came together and was caught.

At the same time the father saw his son fall down into the hole in the platform, he saw the fast approaching train. In horror, he realized that if he didn't start lowering the bridge immediately, it would not be down in time for the train to pass safely. The train would crash into the river below killing hundreds of innocent people.

The man was faced with an unimaginable dilemma - race to save his son at the cost of hundreds of lives, or sacrifice his son to save the passengers on the train.

He made the only choice he could and pulled the lever to lower the bridge. In spite of the noise of the descending bridge and the oncoming train, he still heard the anguished screams of his beloved son being crushed to death between the gears of the bridge.

The father ran to the platform as the train was passing by. Most people on the train simply ignored the man crying on the platform. Others looked out of the window and stared, totally oblivious of the unspeakable sacrifice that had just been made on their behalf. They gave no other thought or concern to this man who had just given up what was most precious to him so that they could live.

Do you see the parallel? Can you understand the picture this story paints?

The sacrifice of One offers life to all. God did not take pleasure in watching His Son die. It had to have been agonizing for God to stand by as Jesus died covered in the intense darkness of all of our sins. There was no choice...it had to happen. The sacrifice had to be made in order for us to be able to live.

And like those people on the train, we have the choice regarding what we will do with that sacrifice. We can choose to ignore it - to ignore God - not even bothering consider what God did on our behalf. We can choose to look at God briefly - to glance in passing - and then continue on with our own priorities and plans. Or we can acknowledge what it was that God sacrificed to give us life. We can embrace it and accept it on our behalf, and choose to live our lives for God.

Where are you on that train? Can you see the anguish in the Father's eyes as you pass by? Do you know that He offered His greatest sacrifice so that you could live? Will you accept it? Will you choose to give your life to Him because of what He gave for you?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 07:14:12 PM »
Where are you on that train?

Sorry, I was in the john.  Don't go in there for a little while.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »
This ethical dilemma has been around for quite a while and has been used in many different studies. The answers people give are quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

The trolley problem is a thought experiment in ethics. The general form of the problem is this: There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the correct choice?
X

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »
I think we all know what Greg Plitt would do.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »
The answer is clear, but this problem is so trivial as to not be worth even discussing (no offense to OP).  It is a thought experiment counting angels on the head of a pin, if it ever happened in the real world it would be a one in ten million occurrence, so really who cares is the answer.  Every day many many times you will walk by real human tragedy, mentally ill drug addicts sleeping on the streets, morbidly obese caverns or depression, kids from broken homes whose only parent is a totally fucked up drug or alcohol addict, old people suffering from dementia or Alzheimers.  Sickness tragedy and death.  In the real world.  Some philosophical stroke off like this only makes me want to vote for Trump even more.

Might as well have an argument about a gorilla in a zoo being shot.