Author Topic: Stone Cold and King of the Ring  (Read 9022 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Stone Cold and King of the Ring
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:18:08 AM »
If HHH had won the King of the Ring as scheduled in 96, would Stone Cold have been born and as successful? Food for thoughts...

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Stone Cold and King of the Ring
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:44:00 AM »
Good question, but I don't have a good answer. Maybe maybe not. I know Triple H stated that getting pushed back helped him because he wasn't quite ready to win King of the ring and be a top guy at that point.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 08:23:37 AM »
Good question, but I don't have a good answer. Maybe maybe not. I know Triple H stated that getting pushed back helped him because he wasn't quite ready to win King of the ring and be a top guy at that point.

I believe Austin has even stated this as well.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »
I remember once seeing a fan holding up a sign that read, "HHH: Mid-carder 4-Life."

;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:28:24 AM »
If HHH had won the King of the Ring as scheduled in 96, would Stone Cold have been born and as successful? Food for thoughts...
A very good question and there really is no answer. You need lady luck and it was lady luck that happened when HHH was punished for the curtain call and Austin was given the ball to run.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:44:37 AM »
A very good question and there really is no answer. You need lady luck and it was lady luck that happened when HHH was punished for the curtain call and Austin was given the ball to run.

Austin didn't really get that much of a push from his King of the Ring win. The next PPV (In Your House: International Incident)  I believe was a rematch with "Wildman" Marc Mero, a midcard deal. The main event was a six man tag match: Camp Cornette (Vader, British Bulldog, and Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels-WWF Champ, Ahmed Johnson-IC Champ, and Sid, replacing a suspended/fired Ultimate Warrior).

At SummerSlam, Austin didn't even make the PPV. He had a "Free-for-All" match against Yokozuna, where Austin got beat up most of the match. He won after the rope snapped as Yoko went for the Banzai drop. Yoko crashed and landed like a beached whale and Austin got the pin.

He had a few more matches with Jake "The Snake" Roberts. I remember when they had WWF Livewire and fans could call or send e-mail (via AOL.com) to ask their favorite wrestlers questions. One guy called and asked Austin why he didn't have a title if he was so great. Austin retorted that he didn't have a championship because everyone with a belt was scared to face him. He cited his repeated wins over Marc Mero yet lamented that he never got a match with Mero, after Mero won the IC title. An e-mailer asked why Austin hadn't received a WWF title shot, especially since the previous KOR winners got title matches, particularly at SummerSlam (O.Hart-'94 and Mabel-'95).

Austin was supposed to face Savio Vega yet again at In Your House: Buried Alive. Mero was supposed to defend the IC title against Faarooq; but Ahmed Johnson beat up Faarooq with a 2x4 before the match, resulting in Goldust getting the shot. Michaels didn't even fight at that PPV. So, Austin got no title shot at all.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley subbed for Vega, due to an injury to Vega. Austin beat Helmsley at the PPV; the next night, Helmsley beat Mero for the IC title (courtesy of the "Perfect Hoax").

Austin's star didn't really rise until he faced Bret Hart. To me, that had more to do with their personalities and styles. By that time, Austin's King of the Ring win had all but faded in relevance.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 06:18:30 AM »
Austin didn't really get that much of a push from his King of the Ring win. The next PPV (In Your House: International Incident)  I believe was a rematch with "Wildman" Marc Mero, a midcard deal. The main event was a six man tag match: Camp Cornette (Vader, British Bulldog, and Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels-WWF Champ, Ahmed Johnson-IC Champ, and Sid, replacing a suspended/fired Ultimate Warrior).

At SummerSlam, Austin didn't even make the PPV. He had a "Free-for-All" match against Yokozuna, where Austin got beat up most of the match. He won after the rope snapped as Yoko went for the Banzai drop. Yoko crashed and landed like a beached whale and Austin got the pin.

He had a few more matches with Jake "The Snake" Roberts. I remember when they had WWF Livewire and fans could call or send e-mail (via AOL.com) to ask their favorite wrestlers questions. One guy called and asked Austin why he didn't have a title if he was so great. Austin retorted that he didn't have a championship because everyone with a belt was scared to face him. He cited his repeated wins over Marc Mero yet lamented that he never got a match with Mero, after Mero won the IC title. An e-mailer asked why Austin hadn't received a WWF title shot, especially since the previous KOR winners got title matches, particularly at SummerSlam (O.Hart-'94 and Mabel-'95).

Austin was supposed to face Savio Vega yet again at In Your House: Buried Alive .Mer was supposed to defend the IC title against Faarooq; but Ahmed Johnson beat up Faarooq with a 2x4 before the match, resulting in Goldust getting the shot. Michaels didn't even fight at that PPV. So, Austin got no title shot at all.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley subbed for Vega, due to an injury to Vega. Austin beat Helmsley at the PPV; the next night, Helmsley beat Mero for the IC title (courtesy of the "Perfect Hoax").

Austin's star didn't really rise until he faced Bret Hart. To me, that had more to do with their personalities and styles. By that time, Austin's King of the Ring win had all but faded in relevance.

Interesting..ahh Mark Mero, Vince originally had a hard on for him and was supposed to put the WWE Rocket under him. Vince meets Rena and the rest is history.

I remember Austin saying that he was supposed to put Mark over in a match but Austin declined....this was right after Rena powerbombed Mero. Austin said, "how does this look for him? Guy gets beaten by his valet/wife then this same person beats Austin?? Hell no

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »
Interesting..ahh Mark Mero, Vince originally had a hard on for him and was supposed to put the WWE Rocket under him. Vince meets Rena and the rest is history.

I remember Austin saying that he was supposed to put Mark over in a match but Austin declined....this was right after Rena powerbombed Mero. Austin said, "how does this look for him? Guy gets beaten by his valet/wife then this same person beats Austin?? Hell no

I thought Mero was getting the big push when he won the IC title; but, once Helmsley disposed of him, it was all down hill.

Mero suffered a knee injury in early 97 (I think it was against Al Snow/Leif Cassidy). The whole mega push for Sable came after the Slammys, showing up almost butt-naked to win that bikini contest. After that, she bumped Sunny out of her spot as the WWF's top girl and as her implants got bigger; so did Sable's popularity.

Mero came back with the boxer gimmick that went nowhere and that was it for him. Sable was the reason they brought back the women's title (after letting Jacqueline be a place holder for two months).

Back to Austin, his push seemed to come as his feud started with Bret Hart but had little tie-in with his KOR win. Mero, Helmsley, and Maivia all got to be Intercontinental champion before Austin did. I don't think Austin was even in the IC tournament that Mero won.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 06:21:14 AM »
As an aside, anyone watch the Brock UFC fight? After he won, Rena came in and gave him a kiss but the announcer (may have been Rogan) said, Brock's wife Sable...

People say Austin's merch and popularity was the highest ever surpassing Hogan...agree to disagree?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:50:24 AM »
As an aside, anyone watch the Brock UFC fight? After he won, Rena came in and gave him a kiss but the announcer (may have been Rogan) said, Brock's wife Sable...

People say Austin's merch and popularity was the highest ever surpassing Hogan...agree to disagree?

That's interesting, I assume because most people know her as Sable.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 06:28:38 AM »

I very easily believe it.
The Attitude Era was wrestling's most successful time in general.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 01:50:28 PM »
I thought Mero was getting the big push when he won the IC title; but, once Helmsley disposed of him, it was all down hill.

Mero suffered a knee injury in early 97 (I think it was against Al Snow/Leif Cassidy). The whole mega push for Sable came after the Slammys, showing up almost butt-naked to win that bikini contest. After that, she bumped Sunny out of her spot as the WWF's top girl and as her implants got bigger; so did Sable's popularity.

Mero came back with the boxer gimmick that went nowhere and that was it for him. Sable was the reason they brought back the women's title (after letting Jacqueline be a place holder for two months).

Back to Austin, his push seemed to come as his feud started with Bret Hart but had little tie-in with his KOR win. Mero, Helmsley, and Maivia all got to be Intercontinental champion before Austin did. I don't think Austin was even in the IC tournament that Mero won.

I stand corrected. Austin and Mero were in the first round of the IC title tournament in '96. Mero beat him by DQ and obviously went on to win the tournament and the belt.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 05:21:23 AM »

Austin's merchandise sales were through the roof only because you could buy his stuff anywhere including Walmart, K-Mart, local tee shirt kiosks, etc. Hogan's stuff back in the Hulkamania days was only sold at the arena. You couldn't order online, you actually had to attend the card to buy the merchandise.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »
Austin's merchandise sales were through the roof only because you could buy his stuff anywhere including Walmart, K-Mart, local tee shirt kiosks, etc. Hogan's stuff back in the Hulkamania days was only sold at the arena. You couldn't order online, you actually had to attend the card to buy the merchandise.

That is a great analysis and excellent point. I tend to think tho towards the end of Hogan's WWE run he was getting stale and people were starting to dislike him where when Austin was a face, everyone loved him. When you look at each wrestler's "peaks" I think more people liked Austin than Hogan.

Long story short, I don't know if we will EVER have a star as hot as Austin and to a lesser degree The Rock. Yes Cena has a tremendous following but you cannot compare.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 04:48:48 AM »
That is a great analysis and excellent point. I tend to think tho towards the end of Hogan's WWE run he was getting stale and people were starting to dislike him where when Austin was a face, everyone loved him. When you look at each wrestler's "peaks" I think more people liked Austin than Hogan.

Long story short, I don't know if we will EVER have a star as hot as Austin and to a lesser degree The Rock. Yes Cena has a tremendous following but you cannot compare.
I miss the attitude era like crazy...I still have a couple of Austin 316 tee shirts kicking around and that was almost 20 years ago...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 06:49:54 AM »
I think it also spread into more and larger areas of mainstream culture, making it even more popular than during Hogan's big face run.
It was a huge crossover - Austin on Nash Bridges, Rock in Scorpion King, South Park had a line of WWF merchandise, etc.

Consider even the black market sector:
You never saw knock-off Hulkamania shirts for sale on the boardwalk, but there were Austin 3:16's and nWO's plastered EVERYWHERE!!

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
I think it also spread into more and larger areas of mainstream culture, making it even more popular than during Hogan's big face run.
It was a huge crossover - Austin on Nash Bridges, Rock in Scorpion King, South Park had a line of WWF merchandise, etc.

Consider even the black market sector:
You never saw knock-off Hulkamania shirts for sale on the boardwalk, but there were Austin 3:16's and nWO's plastered EVERYWHERE!!

Lets not forget a few guys on Baywatch as well...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »
Lets not forget a few guys on Baywatch as well...

Oh,ABSOLTELY!!!

I knew I left out somebody!!

Ryu Smash

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 04:46:33 AM »
God knows. The likelihood is Bret would have still chosen to work with him in the fall of 96 (as they had already been working house shows PRIOR to KOTR). KOTR didn't make Austin to the extent WWE like to say... it took several months before they started using him. He was on the PRE SHOW of the Summerslam that year...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 03:00:07 PM »
God knows. The likelihood is Bret would have still chosen to work with him in the fall of 96 (as they had already been working house shows PRIOR to KOTR). KOTR didn't make Austin to the extent WWE like to say... it took several months before they started using him. He was on the PRE SHOW of the Summerslam that year...

Indeed. It was that 5-minute match (if that), where Austin got beat up by Yokozuna (who was on his way out) most of the match. The rope broke when Yoko went for the Banzai Drop. Yoko crashed to the match and looked like a beached whale. Austin moved just in time to keep from being squished and got the pin.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 10:40:32 AM »
I remember that match...Yoko didn't look to healthy at all.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 03:49:21 PM »
I remember that match...Yoko didn't look to healthy at all.

Word was that Yoko was pushing 700 lb. He was being jobbed out of existence (so his opponents could say they beat a 2-time WWF champion). On the RAW after SummerSlam '96, Yoko faced Shawn Michaels in a non-title match and Michaels made short work of him. Yoko went for a splash and missed. HBK hit "Sweet Chin Music" and that was that.