Author Topic: SCOTUS Just Ruled People Convicted of Domestic Violence Can't Own Guns  (Read 1105 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
https://mic.com/articles/147147/in-voisine-v-u-s-scotus-just-ruled-people-convicted-of-domestic-violence-can-t-buy-guns?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social#.tk4Wh2HbA

On Monday, in the case of Voisine v. the United States, the United States Supreme Court handed down a decision prohibiting people convicted of domestic violence from purchasing guns in a 6-2 vote, according to SCOTUSblog.

"This was the case of two Maine men who were convicted on state domestic violence charges and then found with firearms and charged with violating a federal law that prohibits domestic abusers from having firearms," SCOTUSblog's Amy Howe wrote in the live blog. "The question was whether their convictions qualified under the statute."

This decision follows this month's mass shooting in Orlando LGBTQ nightclub Pulse, which claimed the lives of 49 victims and injured 53. In the wake of the tragedy, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) held a 15-hour filibuster and Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) led a sit-in in the House of Representatives, both calling for action on gun regulations.

In February, the Voisine v. the United States case moved Justice Clarence Thomas, famously silent, to ask his first question during oral arguments in 10 years. At the time, he asked U.S. Assistant to the Solicitor General Ilana Eisenstein whether "recklessness" is reason enough to warrant a "lifetime ban on possession of a gun, which, at least as of now, is a constitutional right."

Thomas was one of two justices who didn't vote in favor of Monday's ruling, joining Sonia Sotomayor, who dissented to the decision in part.
In Voisine v. US, SCOTUS Just Ruled People Convicted of Domestic Violence Can't Buy Guns.

The caveat of "recklessness" played a major role in the Voisine v. the United States case. In a March SCOTUSblog post, Rory Little reported that justices hotly debated whether "the 'ordinary meaning' of 'use of force' can encompass 'reckless behavior,'" and whether common law recognized "reckless battery."

According to the SCOTUS document on the decision, "Both men argued that they were not subject to §922(g)(9)'s prohibition because their prior convictions ... could have been based on reckless, rather than knowing or intentional, conduct and thus did not quality as misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence."

Ultimately, six of the justices decided that "recklessness," especially in the case of domestic violence, is far from unintentional, and deemed it a misdemeanor — thus blocking anyone convicted of domestic violence from buying a gun.

Reads the document, "Reckless conduct, which requires the conscious disregard of a known risk, is not an accident: It involves a deliberate decision to endanger another."

June 27, 2016, 11:28 a.m. Eastern: This story has been updated.
X

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
https://mic.com/articles/147147/in-voisine-v-u-s-scotus-just-ruled-people-convicted-of-domestic-violence-can-t-buy-guns?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social#.tk4Wh2HbA

On Monday, in the case of Voisine v. the United States, the United States Supreme Court handed down a decision prohibiting people convicted of domestic violence from purchasing guns in a 6-2 vote, according to SCOTUSblog.

"This was the case of two Maine men who were convicted on state domestic violence charges and then found with firearms and charged with violating a federal law that prohibits domestic abusers from having firearms," SCOTUSblog's Amy Howe wrote in the live blog. "The question was whether their convictions qualified under the statute."

This decision follows this month's mass shooting in Orlando LGBTQ nightclub Pulse, which claimed the lives of 49 victims and injured 53. In the wake of the tragedy, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) held a 15-hour filibuster and Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) led a sit-in in the House of Representatives, both calling for action on gun regulations.

In February, the Voisine v. the United States case moved Justice Clarence Thomas, famously silent, to ask his first question during oral arguments in 10 years. At the time, he asked U.S. Assistant to the Solicitor General Ilana Eisenstein whether "recklessness" is reason enough to warrant a "lifetime ban on possession of a gun, which, at least as of now, is a constitutional right."

Thomas was one of two justices who didn't vote in favor of Monday's ruling, joining Sonia Sotomayor, who dissented to the decision in part.
In Voisine v. US, SCOTUS Just Ruled People Convicted of Domestic Violence Can't Buy Guns.

The caveat of "recklessness" played a major role in the Voisine v. the United States case. In a March SCOTUSblog post, Rory Little reported that justices hotly debated whether "the 'ordinary meaning' of 'use of force' can encompass 'reckless behavior,'" and whether common law recognized "reckless battery."

According to the SCOTUS document on the decision, "Both men argued that they were not subject to §922(g)(9)'s prohibition because their prior convictions ... could have been based on reckless, rather than knowing or intentional, conduct and thus did not quality as misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence."

Ultimately, six of the justices decided that "recklessness," especially in the case of domestic violence, is far from unintentional, and deemed it a misdemeanor — thus blocking anyone convicted of domestic violence from buying a gun.

Reads the document, "Reckless conduct, which requires the conscious disregard of a known risk, is not an accident: It involves a deliberate decision to endanger another."

June 27, 2016, 11:28 a.m. Eastern: This story has been updated.

I don't think that this a bad thing

The Ugly

• Getbig V
I don't think that this a bad thing

Careful, pal. Next you'll be ok with disarming 'no fly' towelies, too. It's a slippery slope.

porkchop

• Getbig II
I thought this was already covered by the Lautenberg Amendment?

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Careful, pal. Next you'll be ok with disarming 'no fly' towelies, too. It's a slippery slope.

I have no love for domestic violence scumbags. Men or women.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
I have no love for domestic violence scumbags. Men or women.

Yet mums on terrorists.

Noted.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
It is very easy to go to jail today for domestic violence. If the women attacks you and you just try to stop her both will go to jail in a lot of cities.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Yet mums on terrorists.

Noted.

You haven't spoken about violence in the home. Noted.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
It is very easy to go to jail today for domestic violence. If the women attacks you and you just try to stop her both will go to jail in a lot of cities.

The original article mentioned a "conviction".

TheShape.

• Getbig V
Yeah, any crazy woman can get you in trouble like this. So they shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves? That's not right.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Yeah, any crazy woman can get you in trouble like this. So they shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves? That's not right.

The could get you charged with a crime.

But if the charge is BS, you won't get convicted.

This is what's going on with Johnny Depp and his wife. I'm 100% sure that he was falsely accused. And he won't be convicted. Actually, I don't even think that he got arrested. The cops knew the the psycho wife was lying

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Meh

Twaddle

• Getbig V
This is an outrage!   >:(

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
very slippery slope here.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
very slippery slope here.

2 of the voters were dem plants.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
2 of the voters were dem plants.

Donald Trump and ________ ???

youandme

• Getbig V
Yet mums on terrorists.

Noted.

Lmao, exact same thing I was thinking.

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
The could get you charged with a crime.

But if the charge is BS, you won't get convicted.

This is what's going on with Johnny Depp and his wife. I'm 100% sure that he was falsely accused. And he won't be convicted. Actually, I don't even think that he got arrested. The cops knew the the psycho wife was lying

So who bruised her face up?
Ψ

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
So who bruised her face up?

For the record, I think that any Muslim that wants to kill Americans, Europeans, Austrailians, or anybody.... in hopes of collecting 23 virgins in heaven... needs to be exterminated like a cockroach

Also for the record, concerning the domestic violence stuff, I know some women that were victims. Anyone that batters their wife is coward and a POS.

I don't know the exact events of the Johnny Depp ordeal. But I believe that his wife made some false statements.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
It's racist...They're tryin to keep Black folks from owning guns.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.