Author Topic: Is the ps4 worth getting?  (Read 5093 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V
Re: Is the ps4 worth getting?
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2016, 04:52:17 AM »
But that was 6 years ago. And the games were Resident evil 5, Devil may cry, Dead space. Basically, games that were being released in the ps3 too at that time.

Even back then $100 was not good enough.

$100 hasnt bought a decent card for 15 years or more

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2016, 04:52:37 AM »
Regardless, PCs always need upgrades.  Consoles let you go 5+ years now without doing that.

Hacker community is much worse on PCs too.

All depends on preference and what you're willing to deal with.

All offer fantastic gaming experiences.
Y

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2016, 05:14:52 AM »
$100 hasnt bought a decent card for 15 years or more

C'mon. 15 years ago I emulated PSone games without any fancy graphic card at all. :D

I even had GTA Vice city, using only the basic graphic card that came with the PC.

But then the gap between graphic cards and consoles got bigger and bigger.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2016, 05:30:28 AM »
C'mon. 15 years ago I emulated PSone games without any fancy graphic card at all. :D

I even had GTA Vice city, using only the basic graphic card that came with the PC.

But then the gap between graphic cards and consoles got bigger and bigger.

Psone emu is all cpu, ben running full speed on phones for 5 years or so.Vice city wasnt graphics intensive.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2016, 05:41:42 AM »
Any of you guys mess around with MAME?

I found an old CD that I had with the emulator, plus a ton of ROMs for games like Berzerk, Robotron, Venture, etc....but it's not working now.

I'm figuring there's one good site where I can just add the latest version and it has all the ROMs.    The official MAME site confused my dumb ass.
Y

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2016, 05:44:32 AM »
Any of you guys mess around with MAME?

I found an old CD that I had with the emulator, plus a ton of ROMs for games like Berzerk, Robotron, Venture, etc....but it's not working now.

I'm figuring there's one good site where I can just add the latest version and it has all the ROMs.    The official MAME site confused my dumb ass.

Mame updates all the time and old rom sets don't work then, I heard sites like the piratebay and kickasstorrents have latest full romsets but can't comment on legality of it!

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2016, 05:48:11 AM »
Psone emu is all cpu, ben running full speed on phones for 5 years or so.Vice city wasnt graphics intensive.

Yeah, I've seen videos of phones emulating PSone and N64. That's freakin awesome. I think there are psp emulators out there too.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2016, 05:48:32 AM »
Mame updates all the time and old rom sets don't work then, I heard sites like the piratebay and kickasstorrents have latest full romsets but can't comment on legality of it!

Aw crap - I had hoped that over the last decade the manufacturers of the games wouldn't care at this point.
Y

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
I'd rather do something meaningful and productive with my life than playing games...

5 years atleast since I touched a game.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2016, 03:33:14 PM »
I'd rather do something meaningful and productive with my life than playing games...

You never outgrow games. There are childish games you outgrow, but you just move to more sophisticated or meaningful ones. Games are good for your brain, helps keep it fit.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »

how is it more "meaningful" or "productive" to watch a tv show or movie, or browse the internet?

i stopped playing games back in 2002 and then started again in 2010, games are better than ever

E
E

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »
how is it more "meaningful" or "productive" to watch a tv show or movie, or browse the internet?

i stopped playing games back in 2002 and then started again in 2010, games are better than ever

E

I'll never get that, people who sit there looking in to a tv for hours a day, not engaging with it,putting down interacting with a game, the Internet etc  ???

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »

Nope. I personally know 2 PhDs who love videogames. They won scholarships and went to solid American and Canadian universities. One of them loves the Metal Gear Solid saga, just like me. :)

You can be a productive member of society and still like videogames. Nothing wrong at all with that.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2016, 04:37:31 PM »

As he sits there posting on getbig.....

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2016, 03:17:47 AM »
Just out of interest I Googled 'top spec gaming pc'. The highest result came in at over £14,000. Who the fuck needs a 14k PC? And what on earth could warrant 64gb of RAM? Times have chages since I built one 10 years ago.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2016, 04:17:40 AM »
Almost nobody "needs" any top spec product in any field

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2016, 04:20:46 AM »
Probably need to upgrade your TV if u get the PS4.5
To get the 4K resolution,which is the biggest asset of the PS4.5,you need a TV that supports 4k resolution
A 55 " 4k TV is around $2200....and a 65" around $3300 .....and up.....if you want the real 4K gaming experience  ::)

They're $1000 less here and the Canadian dollar is shit.

*edit* saw a 55" 4K LG for $500 bucks in the store today.

I use my ps4 as a media center with Plex, Shomi, Netflix etc. Very few games seem to interest me these days.

Nope. I personally know 2 PhDs who love videogames. They won scholarships and went to solid American and Canadian universities. One of them loves the Metal Gear Solid saga, just like me. :)

You can be a productive member of society and still like videogames. Nothing wrong at all with that.

Same. The most intelligent people I associate with enjoy gaming. Strategy, Sims, RPGs seem to be the norm in my exp.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2016, 04:23:50 AM »
Just out of interest I Googled 'top spec gaming pc'. The highest result came in at over £14,000. Who the fuck needs a 14k PC? And what on earth could warrant 64gb of RAM? Times have chages since I built one 10 years ago.

Video editing. 3d rendering. I have 32gb of ram in my comp.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2016, 04:27:48 AM »
Video editing. 3d rendering. I have 32gb of ram in my comp.

Audio work.  I have 32gb of ram, too.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2016, 04:29:43 AM »

True. When I'm recording drums I have 5 mics on the kit and 2 overheads. It eats up ram when recording all 7 tracks simultaneously.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2016, 04:35:46 AM »
Yeah, if you load up a lot of samples, you can eat a lot up

Saying that, I'm currently in a stacked to hell ableton, singing (I practise singing) with a gargantuan 1gb being used :)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2016, 09:29:17 AM »
this. I got 64gb in my iMac. plug ins hog ram.
A

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
As he sits there posting on getbig.....
lål at the irony

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2016, 03:04:52 PM »

MGS 3 is one of mu fave games of all time. I've a Vulcan raven tattoo and a snake one, both enclosed in camouflage

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
MGS 3 is one of mu fave games of all time. I've a Vulcan raven tattoo and a snake one, both enclosed in camouflage

MGS 3 was probably the best overall game I ever played.

The Boss was absolutely epic, and the ending better than any movie.

I beat The End on my first try - took two full hours  to do it.  Kojima took all his developers onto a mountain for days, and made them read books on sniping.  He said if half the people hated that fight, but the other half loved it, he did his job.

I loved MGS one, 2 was Ok, 3 epic, but tolerated four due to the ending.  Haven't had the time for 5 yet.
Y