Author Topic: This Billionaire Governor Taxed the Rich and Increased the Minimum Wage.and now.  (Read 1829 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The minimum wage hike didn't go into effect until summer of 2014 and the tax hike of 2% went into effect in 2013. Why then would you count jobs created from 2011-2015?

I would guess it's because he took office in 2011

Obviously there was a general recovery underway but he also raised taxes (only on the most wealthy) and jobs didn't crater and people didnt' flee the state (both common claims when someone talks about tax increases)

Compare that to Kansas who cut taxes and saw massive revenue losses and no job gains

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Hey! It was your dumb ass post citing the Huffington Post as a source. How about you cite sources, that state the unemployment rate stays the same, or employment, job growth, increases after minimum wage increases.

You're the one that claimed that EVERY TIME minimum wages are raised it results in job losses

All I asked it that you provide some proof

By your own premise you can simply choose ANY city that has raised the minimum wage for a reference

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I would guess it's because he took office in 2011

Obviously there was a general recovery underway but he also raised taxes (only on the most wealthy) and jobs didn't crater and people didnt' flee the state (both common claims when someone talks about tax increases)

Compare that to Kansas who cut taxes and saw massive revenue losses and no job gains

From my fee link

"among Midwestern states ranked by job creation from March 2013–2014, Minnesota ranked dead last)."

Of course jobs didn't crator, we were in the middle of the recovery of the business cycle!!!

How many jobs were created after he instituted his reforms?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
You're the one that claimed that EVERY TIME minimum wages are raised it results in job losses

All I asked it that you provide some proof

By your own premise you can simply choose ANY city that has raised the minimum wage for a reference

http://nypost.com/2016/03/12/how-the-15-wage-is-already-killing-seattle-jobs/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
From my fee link

"among Midwestern states ranked by job creation from March 2013–2014, Minnesota ranked dead last)."

Of course jobs didn't crator, we were in the middle of the recovery of the business cycle!!!

How many jobs were created after he instituted his reforms?

interesting quote and even more interesting editing

why did you leave off the beginning of the sentence

(Speaking of cherry-picked statistics, among Midwestern states ranked by job creation from March 2013–2014, Minnesota ranked dead last).

Why cherry pick just a single year - even the author of your ariticle pointed out that's what he was doing

tonymctones

• Getbig V
interesting quote and even more interesting editing

why did you leave off the beginning of the sentence

(Speaking of cherry-picked statistics, among Midwestern states ranked by job creation from March 2013–2014, Minnesota ranked dead last).

Why cherry pick just a single year - even the author of your ariticle pointed out that's what he was doing

Lol wait now you're upset? It doesn't upset you that the article you posted is taking credit for jobs that were created before the reforms?

That number is much more relevant than the number of jobs created between 2011-2015 bc it starts closer to when the reforms were instituted....that number is relevant the number of jobs created between 2011-2015 is not

Again how many jobs were created after his reforms were put in place?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
http://nypost.com/2016/03/12/how-the-15-wage-is-already-killing-seattle-jobs/

I was wondering when you were going to get around to mentioning Seattle

Why didn't you choose one of the many articles that say it's too early to tell or ones that say empirical data shows no signficant impact

There are many of those to choose from

Here is one example:  http://www.seattletimes.com/business/economy/a-year-in-the-sky-is-not-falling-from-seattles-minimum-wage-hike/

Only a year into Seattle’s journey toward a $15 minimum wage, local economists tracking the impacts say it’s too early to make conclusions about how the city’s minimum-wage “experiment” is going, but so far, critics’ dire predictions of mass job loss have not come true.

“The sky is not falling,” said Jacob Vigdor, Daniel J. Evans professor of Public Policy and Governance at the Evans School of Public Policy and Governance, who is leading a city-sponsored study on Seattle’s minimum wage. “If it was really bad, a lot of people would have lost their jobs and every opening would get tons of applicants. That is not happening.”

With only one year in and only an incremental uptick in wages, he said, it’s too early to predict the long-term impacts.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Lol wait now you're upset? It doesn't upset you that the article you posted is taking credit for jobs that were created before the reforms?

That number is much more relevant than the number of jobs created between 2011-2015 bc it starts closer to when the reforms were instituted....that number is relevant the number of jobs created between 2011-2015 is not

Again how many jobs were created after his reforms were put in place?

Where did you get the idea I'm upset about anything

All I did was point out that you selectively edited your own quote where the author admits he cherry picked a data point

I've already said that the job claims started from January 2011 which was when the current governor took office and no doubt some of that was due to the general recovery happening throughout the country

tonymctones

• Getbig V
http://www.gallup.com/poll/188870/minnesota-top-state-job-creation-index.aspx

Minnesota was in the top 10 states for job creation since 2010 3 times...2012, 2013 and 2015.

So the majority of job growth came from before he instituted his reforms. Only 40k jobs added in 2015 and 19000 in 2014. The rest were created before he implemented all of his reforms

tonymctones

• Getbig V

All I did was point out that you selectively edited your own quote where the author admits he cherry picked a data point

I've already said that the job claims started from January 2011 which was when the current governor took office and no doubt some of that was due to the general recovery happening throughout the country
Not some straw, the majority... Only 59000 were created in 2014-2015, that's a far cry from the 172,000 your article is attributing to his reforms

tonymctones

• Getbig V
What's that last line from fee?

Just because you jump out in front of a parade doesn't mean you're leading it...

tonymctones

• Getbig V

Why did you leave out the part where the author says his cherry picking was in response to your articles cherry picking of facts?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Straw taking a beating in this thread. 

Erik C

• Getbig IV
I was wondering when you were going to get around to mentioning Seattle

Why didn't you choose one of the many articles that say it's too early to tell or ones that say empirical data shows no signficant impact

There are many of those to choose from

Here is one example:  http://www.seattletimes.com/business/economy/a-year-in-the-sky-is-not-falling-from-seattles-minimum-wage-hike/

You're the one who said pick ANY CITY, so I did. I posted an article that told the truth, not one that is to the left of Lenin, that says wait and see, because the facts, the real numbers are abysmal, and will only get worse. It's not just job loss, but also the decline in the "jobs created" category. Seattle had a thriving used book
sector. I know for a fact that it has been decimated job wise. Owners trying to turn workers into "independent contractors," who work only on commission. The used book business ain't gonna pay out huge commissions, and former employees, now independent contractors, are looking to get more roomies, in an already tight rental market.

Caring people ruin everything. They don't have the mental capacity to comprehend the consequences of their emotional legislations.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
You're the one who said pick ANY CITY, so I did. I posted an article that told the truth, not one that is to the left of Lenin, that says wait and see, because the facts, the real numbers are abysmal, and will only get worse. It's not just job loss, but also the decline in the "jobs created" category. Seattle had a thriving used book
sector. I know for a fact that it has been decimated job wise. Owners trying to turn workers into "independent contractors," who work only on commission. The used book business ain't gonna pay out huge commissions, and former employees, now independent contractors, are looking to get more roomies, in an already tight rental market.

Caring people ruin everything. They don't have the mental capacity to comprehend the consequences of their emotional legislations.

You speak the truth.  I've seen it happen.  Wait till the new exempt employee minimum wage increase takes affect.  A lot of people are going to see either a decrease in wages or lose their job altogether. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
As long as we're an open-border, deal-with China, sanctuary-city sorta place, this stuff you guys are arguing is about 100% meaningless.