Author Topic: WWFs Warlord benches 500lbs for 19 reps  (Read 13258 times)

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
Re: WWFs Warlord benches 500lbs for 19 reps
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »
As an adult you actually still believe the height listing of the wrestlers? hahah. Warlord wasn't even close to 6'5" (closer to 6'2" legit). He was shorter than 6'3" Ted Dibiase. Zeus was a legit 6'5" who wore platform boots (like Kane did in the late 90's) and in this pic was most likely standing on a box like Vince used to have Andre do to make him appear to be the 7'4"/7'5" billing when in reality Andre was close to 6'11.5"-7'0.5" (at his PEAK and shorter as he aged).

Big John Studd wasn't his billed 6'10". He was a legit 6'7".
The Undertaker wasn't 6'10.5". He WAS 6'7"-6'8" and is now max 6'6" due to multiple surgeries.
Hogan wasn't 6'8". He was a legit 6'6'" up until 1990 and due to multiple surgeries (back, knee, hip, neck) is max 6'3" today.
They even billed 5'9" Davey Boy Smith (met him myself) at 6'1"-6'3"!! haha

Yeah, it's all done to make the wrestlers appear bigger and more impressive. If you see a wrestler's billed height, you should probably subtract around 2-4 inches in order to get a better estimate.

And of course, at least a few of the plates in the Warlord bench video are fake. Not denying that he was strong as hell though.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
I'm six feet and Warlord was easily a few inches taller. I'd buy 6'3/4.

He was absolutely menacing, though. His physique just screamed strength and power. And until I mustered the nerve and spoke to him ... and he broke a smile (relief) ... I was certain he was walking murder. SCARY.

That he was SO friendly was such a pleasant surprise.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »

He was absolutely menacing, though. His physique just screamed strength and power. And until I mustered the nerve and spoke to him ... and he broke a smile (relief) ... I was certain he was walking murder. SCARY.

Was he the strongest wrestler you ever met/trained with?

I sometimes wonder what the kind of lifts each individual wrestler is capable of in the gym. I'd imagine that even the slimmer/smaller wrestlers can handle some heavy poundages.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »
Later in the workout, Warlord offered to return my favour and spot ME on my flat dumbell presses. He's hovering over, barking at me to put my all into the set. It was awesome.

I'd imagine the man was absolutely capable of benching 500 for considerable reps. Like I say, on that day, in a strange city, in a strange gym, with a match pending that night, he was cranking paused sets of six with 455, easy (no spot). Then the same deal on incline with 365 (on these I provided him lift-offs).

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 07:34:56 AM »
Pussy

haha pussy that black boy didnt compare to original video, #blacklivesmatter supporter bitch

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
The bar is not bending at all. ???

It's more like 315 with 4 fake plates.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2016, 07:38:05 AM »
Was he the strongest wrestler you ever met/trained with?

I sometimes wonder what the kind of lifts each individual wrestler is capable of in the gym. I'd imagine that even the slimmer/smaller wrestlers can handle some heavy poundages.

I've never witnessed ANYONE in the flesh move such a poundage with such ease. Between each set he was sitting idly on the end of the bench, as if he was half asleep.

Incredible. And I've witnessed some nutty shit.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 07:40:38 AM »
haha pussy that black boy didnt compare to original video, #blacklivesmatter supporter bitch

Larry Allen is a freak, plain and simple.

Benched 700 and ran down linebackers.

There is NOBODY in the world capable of benching that much weight who could also run like he could.

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 07:48:15 AM »
Larry Allen is a freak, plain and simple.

Benched 700 and ran down linebackers.

There is NOBODY in the world capable of benching that much weight who could also run like he could.

cool, didn't realise who he was - but that bench is nowhere near legit

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 08:05:06 PM »
The guy is strong as fuck but Vince(wWF) used fake weights in all those types of weight lifting on camera gimmicks.

Here's a fake one with Dino Bravo doing supposedly 655. lol..   

Surprised the bar didn't snap like a cigarette

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 08:13:07 PM »
Later in the workout, Warlord offered to return my favour and spot ME on my flat dumbell presses. He's hovering over, barking at me to put my all into the set. It was awesome.

I'd imagine the man was absolutely capable of benching 500 for considerable reps. Like I say, on that day, in a strange city, in a strange gym, with a match pending that night, he was cranking paused sets of six with 455, easy (no spot). Then the same deal on incline with 365 (on these I provided him lift-offs).

dont forget to add in the fact that these guys(especially in the 70's 80's 90's) use to wrestle over 300 times a year.

just to go through that, the rigors of trvaeling, challenge to getting in good food/nutrition, then to perform like that in the gym takes alot of fortitude
"

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2016, 10:51:52 PM »
The Warlord aka Terry... I remember his real name because it was the same as Hulk Hogan's real name... trained at Gold's Venice when the boys were in town to wrestle. Did standing overhead tricep presses with 275 for clean reps.  Seated DB presses with 155's. Close grip BP 365 x12/15reps. The man was very strong. Actually stronger than me and at one time very few people who trained at Gold's Venice were stronger than me. 
a

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »
The guy is strong as fuck but Vince(wWF) used fake weights in all those types of weight lifting on camera gimmicks.

Here's a fake one with Dino Bravo doing supposedly 655. lol..    

This looks real as hell. Not only is the bar loaded correctly to the claimed poundage, but the action of the bar/lift is much too true for it to be fake. Look at the dynamic of the barbell as it is pressed. Look at the points of struggle for Dino.

The guy was famously known as being extraordinarily strong, as well. Particularly on the bench press.  

With a proper touch and pause, he'd likely have hit a late 500s/early 600s.

Listen, I am one of the MOST suspicious lifters when it comes to claims, etc. However, this press looks full-on legit.

And all I can say is, Wow.  

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
dont forget to add in the fact that these guys(especially in the 70's 80's 90's) use to wrestle over 300 times a year.

just to go through that, the rigors of trvaeling, challenge to getting in good food/nutrition, then to perform like that in the gym takes alot of fortitude

Absolutely. To this day I'm astonished at what I witnessed on that day over 20 years ago.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 10:37:08 AM »
The Warlord aka Terry... I remember his real name because it was the same as Hulk Hogan's real name... trained at Gold's Venice when the boys were in town to wrestle. Did standing overhead tricep presses with 275 for clean reps.  Seated DB presses with 155's. Close grip BP 365 x12/15reps. The man was very strong. Actually stronger than me and at one time very few people who trained at Gold's Venice were stronger than me. 

Some of those wrestling guys from way back when were freakishly strong. Clean, cheap, potent drugs, relatively easy access to said drugs, and a greater (iron) cultural emphasis on hardcore, heavy lifting are likely the reasons.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2016, 05:07:07 PM »
6'4 Troy Aikman dwarfed The Hulkster here recently in their Rent a Center commercials.

Yup and a young and healthy Hogan (pre multiple surgeries) dwarfed legit 6'4" men. Here he is PRE-height loss making 6'2" Gene Hackman and 6'2"-6'3" Donald Trump look short. He himself is between 6'2"-6'3" himself today sadly. Must suck to have lost so much height.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »

Ted Dibiase was a legit 6'3" (some say 6'4") in his prime and was taller than Warlord. So at most 6'2" and a lot of change ;-)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
Spotted him benching when he came through Toronto, around the time of this video. Guy was HUGE and STRONG (obviously). Was doing his WWE (WWF at the time) thing that night and was hitting sets of six paused reps with 455 with EASE. Bloody ridiculous. He was a seriously imposing fella, but when I got the nerve to speak with him, found him to be one of the friendliest of the then-current wrestling dudes (they'd all swing through that particular gym when they were in the city).

Swing?

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2016, 05:22:37 PM »
This looks real as hell. Not only is the bar loaded correctly to the claimed poundage, but the action of the bar/lift is much too true for it to be fake. Look at the dynamic of the barbell as it is pressed. Look at the points of struggle for Dino.

The guy was famously known as being extraordinarily strong, as well. Particularly on the bench press.  

With a proper touch and pause, he'd likely have hit a late 500s/early 600s.

Listen, I am one of the MOST suspicious lifters when it comes to claims, etc. However, this press looks full-on legit.

And all I can say is, Wow.  

Lol...That's not how 655 pounds loaded with 45 pound plates reacts on an 45 pound Olympic bar. Not even close. Nobody is putting 655 pounds on a bar in an atmosphere like that with one spotter. It's approx 475-485 pounds. The two off colored 45 pounds plates we can clearly see in the video are phonies. Which obviously means there's two on the other side. It's 475 pounds and maybe another 5 to 10 pounds for the 4 styrofoam phonies...

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
Lol...That's not how 655 pounds loaded with 45 pound plates reacts on an 45 pound Olympic bar. Not even close. Nobody is putting 655 pounds on a bar in an atmosphere like that with one spotter. It's approx 475-485 pounds. The two off colored 45 pounds plates we can clearly see in the video are phonies. Which obviously means there's two on the other side. It's 475 pounds and maybe another 5 to 10 pounds for the 4 styrofoam phonies...

I can't see anyone attempting a 600 pound lift In that atmosphere while half naked with one spotter. Not that he couldn't do it or anything..

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »
I can't see anyone attempting a 600 pound lift In that atmosphere while half naked with one spotter. Not that he couldn't do it or anything..

Ya it's been talked about for years that any benching lifts during the WWF days weren't legit. Fake weights etc. Bravo was a strong dude though. 500 pound bench Press for sure...

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2016, 07:52:47 AM »

I've lifted over 650 (not on bench, haha) and know it's action, but I'll accept what you say.