Author Topic: Federal Judge Strikes Blow to Wisconsin’s New Voter ID Law  (Read 236 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/19/federal_judge_strikes_blow_to_wisconsin_voter_id_law.html

On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman significantly weakened a key provision of Wisconsin’s stringent voter ID law, prohibiting the state from enforcing the measure in a manner that would effectively suppress thousands of votes. The law—supported almost exclusively by Republicans, purportedly to prevent voter fraud—requires citizens to present a state-approved ID card before voting. Under Adelman’s ruling, voters with no ID will have a legal right in November to instead sign an affidavit declaring that it would take “unreasonable effort” for them to obtain an ID, and then be allowed to vote.

Under Supreme Court precedent, Wisconsin is allowed to enact voter ID laws—but as Adelman explains, these measures cannot impose an “undue burden” on the constitutional right to vote. Wisconsin’s law does, especially for low-income and minorities residents. The act’s strict requirements force voters to go to “unreasonable lengths” to acquire these cards, compelling them to gather extensive documentation and make multiple trips to a government agency. Faced with these substantial obstacles, many poor voters are essentially locked out of the voting booth—a constitutionally intolerable result.
:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Federal Judge Strikes Blow to Wisconsin’s New Voter ID Law
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »
Don't agree with this at all.  It may be difficult for some to obtain an ID, but they have years to get it done.  And if they have a problem getting an ID, government needs to address the problem with state agencies that are making it difficult for some folks to get an ID. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Federal Judge Strikes Blow to Wisconsin’s New Voter ID Law
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »
This is very good news for Wisconsin and I'm sure Republicans who drafted this legislation are happy about this.

I'm sure they wouldn't want to "unintentionally" supress voters in their state