Author Topic: How to Down More Food Without Suffering Digestive Problems?  (Read 9377 times)

NickEdge779

• Getbig III
I seem to be stuck at my current weight of 205 lbs because I cannot down anymore food without suffering major diarrhea or upset stomach. I eat currently about 3800 calories a day, if I go above 4300, the next day, I end up having to shit about 5-10 times throughout the day. It's like my body is fighting against me trying to put on more size by screwing with my digestive system. I eat mostly clean but the more fats I add to my diet, the more I shit. I don't want to have to eat 700g carbs a day just to put on weight. I already eat about 450g carbs a day.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: How to Down More Food Without Suffering Digestive Problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:03:37 AM »
I seem to be stuck at my current weight of 205 lbs because I cannot down anymore food without suffering major diarrhea or upset stomach. I eat currently about 3800 calories a day, if I go above 4300, next day, I end up having to shit about 5-10 times throughout the day. It's like my body is fighting against me trying to put on more size by screwing with my digestive system. I eat mostly clean but the more fats I add to my diet, the more I shit. I don't want to have to eat 700g carbs a day just to put on weight. I already eat about 450g carbs a day.

In what form?  Avoid processed junk.  Add in whole grains, beans, and other high fiber natural foods, while maybe eliminating wheat and wheat gluten (likely GMO &/or from China).  Add in REAL yogurt with live active cultures, not that wannabe crap like Yoplait.  Look at your seafood sources and absolutely avoid anything from SE Asia, keeping in mind even though it may say it's caught elsewhere, it could be processed there.  :-X
:

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »
Add more cardio/activity and change food types/content. Take a few days off or fast half a day for a couple days. U won't lose muscle may drop weight but it'll be water and glycogen if u lose any weight at all. Trying to gain weight to aggressively ends in fatness most of the time.

U have fast metabolism compared to me. If I eat 4000 cals I can weigh close to 250 lbs l. Funny how people are different.

Also probiotics could help with digestion and nutrient partioning. I've just heard and read this I do not use them, would like to though

bensif

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 04:17:27 AM »
Increase your fats. Protein creates very little stool volume, unless you are eating far too much and it passes the stomach partially digested.

Carbohydrates will produce the majority of the stool bulk, thus bloating you. This is primarily from fibre content but can be from undigested starches or even from gas production (also from starch and fibre).

Fats generally produce very little stool volume and in excess (from oils) will speed up the transit time despite popular belief.

Stomach - digest and absorb proteins
Small Bowel - digest and absorb carbohydrates mainly, partially breaking down some fats and dealing with undigested protein
Large Bowel - Absorption of fats

When 'volume' becomes an issue, think about the above and what you can do to reduce overall volume but increase calories. Food combinations and the order in which you eat a meal can also play a part in optimum digestion.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 08:04:02 AM »
Make small increases every week. Maybe taking digestive enzimes will help.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »
Make small increases every week. Maybe taking digestive enzimes will help.

Very good advice!!

"Reverse dieting" has caught on with many trainers the last few years.

Stan Efferding talks about it a lot. He used that - among other "things" - when training with Flex Wheeler for his big pro show years ago. Stan kept adding around 2 ounces of steak to each meal every ten days or so, until he was consuming almost 5 lbs of beef per day.

Obviously, you can't start out with this quantity. The idea is to build up to it gradually - like you progress with weight on the bar. You're essentially training your body/metabolism to accommodate the increase.

And, yes - enzymes are a good idea. There are specific ones for each food type:
Bromelain for meat.
Protease for protein.
Lactase for dairy.
Amylase for starches.

Just figure out what you need based on what you're consuming and how your body handles it.

nzgs

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 11:12:11 PM »
It's trendy these days to disregard oldschool wisdom about eating small frequent meals, but the reality is that larger infrequent meals (especially those high in protein) can lead to digestive problems because the body only has a finite capacity to digest food. I always feel constipated when I do intermittent fasting due to trying to cram 200g protein along with everything else into 6 or 7 hours. Try eating small portions more often, and make sure you have soluble and insoluble fibre sources in your diet, I like oats and bananas.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »
It's trendy these days to disregard oldschool wisdom about eating small frequent meals, but the reality is that larger infrequent meals (especially those high in protein) can lead to digestive problems because the body only has a finite capacity to digest food. I always feel constipated when I do intermittent fasting due to trying to cram 200g protein along with everything else into 6 or 7 hours. Try eating small portions more often, and make sure you have soluble and insoluble fibre sources in your diet, I like oats and bananas.

Oats and bananas are mostly carbs, and only build body fat, not muscles. Use digestive enzymes to absorb more fat and protein, from animal sources.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »

I did not care for intermittent fasting after trying it twice for a short time.
I understand the hormonal response it is supposed to trigger, but eating that much food at once - especially bodybuilding amounts - has got to lead to insulin spikes.

Insulin is a "storage" hormone, and I fail to see how one can optimize fat loss with those spikes.
It seems that keeping insulin levels steady with smaller frequent feedings is the way to go when keeping body fat in check.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »

I did not care for intermittent fasting after trying it twice for a short time.
I understand the hormonal response it is supposed to trigger, but eating that much food at once - especially bodybuilding amounts - has got to lead to insulin spikes.

Insulin is a "storage" hormone, and I fail to see how one can optimize fat loss with those spikes.
It seems that keeping insulin levels steady with smaller frequent feedings is the way to go when keeping body fat in check.

Just don't eat carbs. Different foods trigger insulin response at different levels. Carbs trigger high insulin response to fat storage levels. Proteins only trigger insulin response to way less than half what carbs do. And animal source fats hardly trigger any insulin response at all. Plant based fats and proteins, seem to trigger high fat storage insulin response, as though the body knows that they come from plants.

We didn't evolve to eat carbs. We only started doing it in the last 10,000 years or so. It wasn't a good move health wise. Eating massive amounts of carbs has only gotten worse in that last 50 years, coinciding perfectly with the increase in Type II Diabetes, and gross obesity.

Check out the Woodstock documentary, 1969. Today, everywhere I go there are huge fat slobs all over the place. You don't have to seek them out, they are literally all over. But in the film of Woodstock, it's hard to find even one fat slob. That's because 1969 was before High Fructose Corn Syrup, and all the garbage plant based proteins and oils (fats).

And check out the Jimi Hendrix and Janice Joplin performances too!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »
Just don't eat carbs. Different foods trigger insulin response at different levels. Carbs trigger high insulin response to fat storage levels. Proteins only trigger insulin response to way less than half what carbs do. And animal source fats hardly trigger any insulin response at all. Plant based fats and proteins, seem to trigger high fat storage insulin response, as though the body knows that they come from plants.

We didn't evolve to eat carbs. We only started doing it in the last 10,000 years or so. It wasn't a good move health wise. Eating massive amounts of carbs has only gotten worse in that last 50 years, coinciding perfectly with the increase in Type II Diabetes, and gross obesity.

Check out the Woodstock documentary, 1969. Today, everywhere I go there are huge fat slobs all over the place. You don't have to seek them out, they are literally all over. But in the film of Woodstock, it's hard to find even one fat slob. That's because 1969 was before High Fructose Corn Syrup, and all the garbage plant based proteins and oils (fats).

And check out the Jimi Hendrix and Janice Joplin performances too!

Yeah, I purposely did not adhere to a low carb diet while trying IF to more accurately gage the effectiveness of the protocol as opposed to food selection.