Author Topic: RIP: NPC Competitor Joanna Wilson Died In Vegas Prepping for USA!  (Read 51862 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: RIP: NPC Competitor Joanna Wilson Died In Vegas Prepping for USA!
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
If he told her to take something to dry out the skin then yes, maybe so.

Good news then.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
im glad you set the standards for not getting too ripped.

Or too muscular.

Or too wealthy.

Or too well-liked.
K

Simple Simon

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
Or too muscular.

Or too wealthy.

Or too well-liked.

;D

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »
Or too muscular.

Or too wealthy.

Or too well-liked.

Bravo good Sir, well played.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2016, 11:13:23 AM »
im glad you set the standards for not getting too ripped.

Lmfao

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »
 dan dooche-bag took a woman's bbing competitor to mexico to get calf implants.result she had her leg cut off.. another guru. :'( :'( :'( :'(
F

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »
The best thing about being in the same bodybuilding comp with Vince is the assurance that even if you don't train or diet you will be placed anywhere but last.
"

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »
I remember Duchaine's diuretic advice. 10mg of Lasix IV then checking blood pressure.  If still in good range do another shot and so on. Once it was getting close to too low to stand and pose that was dry enough.  :D Much safer than oral he thought because of the fast onset and degree of control.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
I remember Duchaine's diuretic advice. 10mg of Lasix IV then checking blood pressure.  If still in good range do another shot and so on. Once it was getting close to too low to stand and pose that was dry enough.  :D Much safer than oral he thought because of the fast onset and degree of control.

Even if that's ok, you could simply die because your body says "fuck this shit".  There's only so much you can throw at your body and Joanna could have just been worn down as she was around my age.  Who knows.  It could have been stimulants, blood pressure, ...even hypothermia.  But this really is gettting old with all of these people dropping like flies.
A

KnightXavi

• Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2016, 01:03:30 PM »
R.I.P.  :'(

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2016, 01:04:56 PM »
This tragedy just brings back the madness of this bodybuilding activity. Perfectly healthy women trying to look like men and poisoning themselves to death.

KnightXavi

• Getbig III
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »

KnightXavi

• Getbig III
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2016, 01:14:07 PM »

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
Even if that's ok, you could simply die because your body says "fuck this shit".  There's only so much you can throw at your body and Joanna could have just been worn down as she was around my age.  Who knows.  It could have been stimulants, blood pressure, ...even hypothermia.  But this really is gettting old with all of these people dropping like flies.

Of course it's dangerous, but Duchaine laughed in the face of danger, dude was completely reckless  :D But bodybuilders are not dropping like flies. It's kind of amazing more don't die from last minute diuretic manipulations. How many have died in recent years due to diuretics? Some cases in the middle east because those arabs are completely nuts, real stupid, taking diuretics for a month before shows. One life isn't worth much in the ME.

Same with insulin. "Everyone" seems to think it's extremely dangerous, which it can be, but who died from it? Can't think of even one case, certainly no high profile case. Milos thinks a few guys were saved by insulin, for example Mustafa Mohammed (insulin is used to lower potassium). :D

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
Of course it's dangerous, but Duchaine laughed in the face of danger, dude was completely reckless  :D But bodybuilders are not dropping like flies. It's kind of amazing more don't die from last minute diuretic manipulations. How many have died in recent years due to diuretics? Some cases in the middle east because those arabs are completely nuts, real stupid, taking diuretics for a month before shows. One life isn't worth much in the ME.

Same with insulin. "Everyone" seems to think it's extremely dangerous, which it can be, but who died from it? Can't think of even one case, certainly no high profile case.
what's the purpuse of that???

I mean you only need to be dry on show day. Ie the diuretics can be used night Before and during showtime.

and being mineral depleted just makes you really really prone to injury....

Guess being retarded goes with the territory of bbing...

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »
what's the purpuse of that???

I mean you only need to be dry on show day. Ie the diuretics can be used night Before and during showtime.

and being mineral depleted just makes you really really prone to injury....

Guess being retarded goes with the territory of bbing...

They are just stupid. They are arabs after all. :D

Doing diuretics long term for blood pressure and excessive water retention is one thing, but to get conditioning...  ???

I think 7-10 days prior can sometimes be good for various reasons though. You have time to adjust water levels etc.

KnightXavi

• Getbig III
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
This tragedy just brings back the madness of this bodybuilding activity. Perfectly healthy women trying to look like men and poisoning themselves to death.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »

We weren't friends....in fact we had a confrontation at a bodybuilding event many years ago while we were standing in line to get in.  She was upset over some comments I said over at Muscle Mayhem.  I told her to piss off and get some Noxema for her acme.  We cleared the air some time later but I steered clear of her anyway.  But def a tragedy

It's acne , you delusional piece of monkey-shit.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »
dan dooche-bag took a woman's bbing competitor to mexico to get calf implants.result she had her leg cut off.. another guru. :'( :'( :'( :'(

wtf is that really true ?   

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
actually what blaha says in his post about her death is true though .

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
haha i just watched the video that was posted a few posts up , i dont usually go to his channel

Qwert II

• Getbig IV
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2016, 10:29:46 PM »

People are making it like Dan was the one who forced her to do this.

A woman he was coaching went to Mexico to get calf implants to save money.

Well, no one in their right mind goes to Mexico for surgery, & especially in the 80s. The surgeon was not hygienic & her calf got infected & was amputated.

You get what you pay for.

Dan was a genius & a pioneer, imo, & he is dearly missed.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2016, 12:26:15 AM »
R.I.P.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2016, 01:04:38 AM »

Yes, it was kept quiet for a bit, but came out on M.F.W. almost two decades ago now. It used to be used a cudgel during flame wars back then (e.g. - Duchaine is so stupid he took his girlfriend to mexico for medical work). That book "Steroid Nation" by Assael actually has a good run down of some of it, that matches my remembrance of it -

"March 1997

While lying in bed on one of their Nubain getaways, Dan told Mary Lou, "You know what I hate about you? Your skin." It was too loose for competitive bodybuilding, he thought. What she needed was the translucent, shrink-wrapped look that judges liked. And as it happened, he had just the ticket: an industrial chemical named Dinitrophenol.  DNP was employed in the early 1900s to ignite explosives. But German researchers found that it led to drastic weight loss when swallowed because it caused the body to burn calories. By turning the internal thermostat way up, DNP, which is similar in structure to TNT, can increase one's metabolism by as much as 50 percent.
The key is knowing how much DNP to take. When he first got his hands on a sample of the yellow powder, Duchaine asked his friend John Romano to help him put it into gel capsules. After a while, Romano couldn't understand why he felt so hot. Finally, it occurred to him that he was absorbing the powder through his pores. His temperature had soared to 103 degrees. Mary Lou was a willing subject, perhaps too willing. One day she took more DNP than Duchaine had advised. Unable to reach Duchaine, she called his aide, Bruce Kneller, to ask what was happening to her. "How much are you taking?" he asked. When she told him, he was aghast. "If you keep that up, you're going to die."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tijuana, Mexico
October 16, 1998

Whether Dan Duchaine loved Mary Lou was irrelevant. On a visit to Scottsdale, Arizona, he walked into a jewelry store and walked out with a two-and-a-half carat diamond ring. At dinner that night, he slid it across the table and said, "I want to marry you. I want us to make a baby."  Even through her Nubain haze, Mary Lou had difficulty saying yes. She had lost everything -- her husband, her friends, her life back East. For a time, all she had left was her bodybuilding dream and Duchaine ruined that as well. She had been knocked from the 1997 Nationals in Dallas in the first round, and with the 1998 show a month away, she looked like hell.

Duchaine's solution: "You need calf implants."

So they set out for a clinic over the border in Mexico. Duchaine checked her in, got a hotel room, then came back just as she was being wheeled into surgery. "You'll be fine," he said. The operation was declared a success, but it hadn't gone well. Mary Lou realized as much when she awoke in the middle of the night with her feet incredibly numb. It felt, she would later remember, like a terrible case of frostbite. She dragged herself to the nurse's station, but the nurse didn't speak English and ordered her back to bed. The blood vessels in Mary Lou's legs had not been properly re-attached. Her lower body was essentially cut off from her circulatory system. She was rushed into the operating room so the implants, now leaking silicone, could be removed. Seeing her leg sliced open on either side as though it had zippers made Mary Lou grow faint and she screamed, "I want to go to an American hospital!" An ambulance raced her back across the border. By the time they pulled up to the emergency room of Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego, Mary Lou's kidneys and liver were in a state of near-failure.  While Shelley Harvey was in England, recovering from the brain damage caused by the motorcycle accident, the woman Dan Duchaine had selected to replace her, a woman whom he had promised prize-winning legs, was about to have one of them sawed off. " .

More here dealing with it, and other Duchaine stuff - http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=assael/071125 .

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2016, 01:40:25 AM »

Duchaine's solution: "You need calf implants."

So they set out for a clinic over the border in Mexico. Duchaine checked her in, got a hotel room, then came back just as she was being wheeled into surgery. "You'll be fine," he said. The operation was declared a success, but it hadn't gone well. Mary Lou realized as much when she awoke in the middle of the night with her feet incredibly numb. It felt, she would later remember, like a terrible case of frostbite. She dragged herself to the nurse's station, but the nurse didn't speak English and ordered her back to bed. The blood vessels in Mary Lou's legs had not been properly re-attached. Her lower body was essentially cut off from her circulatory system. She was rushed into the operating room so the implants, now leaking silicone, could be removed. Seeing her leg sliced open on either side as though it had zippers made Mary Lou grow faint and she screamed, "I want to go to an American hospital!" An ambulance raced her back across the border. By the time they pulled up to the emergency room of Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego, Mary Lou's kidneys and liver were in a state of near-failure.  While Shelley Harvey was in England, recovering from the brain damage caused by the motorcycle accident, the woman Dan Duchaine had selected to replace her, a woman whom he had promised prize-winning legs, was about to have one of them sawed off. " .

Sounds like compartment syndrome. I had the same thing happen to me when I broke both my legs in a motorcycle accident years back. A few hours after my initial surgery it was discovered that I didn't have much sensation in my feet and toes, so back to the ER I went.  They made incisions on either side of my calves to let the pressure off, otherwise the swelling would have cut off circulation to my feet and I would have had to have my feet amputated.