Author Topic: 50 GOP officials: Trump would be ‘most reckless’ U.S. president in history  (Read 1935 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
50 GOP officials: Trump would be ‘most reckless’ U.S. president in history
By Carol Morello

A group of 50 former national security officials, all of whom have served Republican presidents from Richard M. Nixon to George W. Bush, have signed an open letter calling Donald Trump unqualified to be president and warning that, if elected, “he would be the most reckless President in American history.”

The letter offers a withering critique of the GOP nominee, saying he “lacks the character, values and experience” to be president. The signatories declare their conviction that he would be dangerous “and would put at risk our country’s national security and well-being.”

They state flatly that none of them intend to vote for Trump in November. Some have decided to vote for Hillary Clinton, while others intend to sit out the election or write in another name, said John Bellinger III, a former legal adviser to Condoleezza Rice and the writer of the letter’s first draft.

“We also know that many have doubts about Hillary Clinton, as do many of us,” the letter says. “But Donald Trump is not the answer to America’s daunting challenges and to this crucial election. We are convinced that in the Oval Office, he would be the most reckless President in American history.”

In a statement, Trump said the letter writers share the blame for “making the world such a dangerous place.”

“They are nothing more than the failed Washington elite looking to hold onto their power, and it’s time they are held accountable for their actions,” he said.

Trump said the former officials — along with Clinton — took part in the decisions that led to the invasion of Iraq, the deaths of Americans in Benghazi, Libya, and the rise of the Islamic State.

“Yet despite these failures, they think they are entitled to use their favor trading to land taxpayer-funded government contracts and speaking fees,” he said.

Although no former secretaries of state signed the letter, it carries the signatures of Michael Chertoff and Tom Ridge, former secretaries of homeland security; Michael Hayden, a former director of the CIA and the National Security Agency; John Negroponte, a former director of national intelligence and deputy secretary of state; Robert Zoellick, who also was a deputy secretary of state and president of the World Bank and the U.S. trade representative under George W. Bush; Carla Hills, the U.S. trade representative under George H.W. Bush; and William H. Taft IV, a former deputy secretary of defense and ambassador to NATO under the elder Bush.

Also signing the letter were several aides who were senior advisers in the White House, State Department and Pentagon. Among them were Eric Edelman, a national security adviser to then-Vice President Richard B. Cheney, and Bellinger, who worked closely with Rice when she was secretary of state and when she was on the NSC.

Bellinger said that some involved with the letter wanted to wait until September to release their views but that the candidate’s behavior in recent weeks — from his comments on NATO to inviting Russian intelligence to hack Clinton’s emails — galvanized them to move sooner.

“This is not about NATO, it’s not about trade, it’s not about Russia, it’s not about cyber. We really wanted to focus on the character, temperament and judgment that we have seen are required of good presidents,” Bellinger said.

Although the signatories all served Republican presidents, many of the criticisms echo those being leveled by the Clinton campaign.

“He appears to lack basic knowledge about and belief in the U.S. Constitution, U.S. laws and U.S. institutions, including religious tolerance, freedom of the press and an independent judiciary,” the letter says of Trump.

Later on, it adds, “At the same time, he persistently compliments our adversaries and threatens our allies and friends. Unlike previous Presidents who had limited experience in foreign affairs, Mr. Trump has shown no interest in educating himself. He continues to display an alarming ignorance of basic facts of contemporary international politics.”

The letter said Trump “lacks the temperament to be President,” and gave a scathing assessment of his ability to take advice, discipline himself, control his emotions and reflect before acting.

“He is unable or unwilling to separate truth from falsehood,” the letter states in a particularly pointed criticism of Trump’s personal traits. “He does not encourage conflicting views. He lacks self-control and acts impetuously. He cannot tolerate personal criticism. He has alarmed our closest allies with his erratic behavior. All of these are dangerous qualities in an individual who aspires to be President and Commander-in-Chief, with command of the U.S. nuclear arsenal.”

Bellinger said the letter is not intended to be political.

“What we really wanted to do was to raise the alarm and awareness among voters who may find Mr. Trump attractive in a lot of ways, but do not understand what is required to be president of the United States,” he said. “We are trying to say to them, we have served inside the White House, we have worked with presidents for decades, we know what’s required to be president, and we are deeply concerned Donald Trump does not have these qualifications, the judgment or the temperament.”

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
this is seriously historic.   

Michael Chertoff and Tom Ridge and some of these other names - unreal. The biggest names in leading and protecting our country for decades.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
this is seriously historic.  

Michael Chertoff and Tom Ridge and some of these other names - unreal. The biggest names in leading and protecting our country for decades.

But... but.... it's Obama's fault.   :-X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
But... but.... it's Obama's fault.   :-X

tough for them to blame libs.  They were lining up to give handjobs to Chertoff and friends for keeping us so safe all that time.

Suddenly they have to try to discount the words... Trump is reckless and a little nuts.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Trump is reckless and a little nuts.
That's why he's so popular. The PC world is getting tired of catering to the minority, the silent majority are waking up.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
That's why he's so popular. The PC world is getting tired of catering to the minority, the silent majority are waking up.

but the president holds control over life/death of a nation.  he can create war or depressions. 

reckless is the LAST thing you want in someone controlling those things.

chaos

• Getbig V
but the president holds control over life/death of a nation.  he can create war or depressions.  

reckless is the LAST thing you want in someone controlling those things.
Is it? Would you prefer a horrible woman that seizes up and makes weird faces when the stress gets heated?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Is it? Would you prefer a horrible woman that seizes up and makes weird faces when the stress gets heated?

no, i dont prefer her either.  I like the libertarian in the race.  OR maybe the anti-trump the repubs are running.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
no, i dont prefer her either.  I like the libertarian in the race.  OR maybe the anti-trump the repubs are running.

Lmao

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Lmao

laugh.   and in 2 weeks, you will be kneepadding the new ryan-backed republican.   

you don't really know what you stand for, do you?   Just whoever is trending on FOX.

you posted yesterday that trump will win in a landslide because he has more social media followers.  you're celebrating the win in the 3rd quarter again, coach.  you do that a lot. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
laugh.   and in 2 weeks, you will be kneepadding the new ryan-backed republican.   

you don't really know what you stand for, do you?   Just whoever is trending on FOX.

you posted yesterday that trump will win in a landslide because he has more social media followers.  you're celebrating the win in the 3rd quarter again, coach.  you do that a lot. 

Haha, there you go spinning again. I hear CNN has a job opening as a propaganda reporter..lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Haha, there you go spinning again. I hear CNN has a job opening as a propaganda reporter..lol

coach, what is your opinion of the new anti-trump candidate?   

chaos

• Getbig V
Weird how both sides have mustered so much energy to stop Trump instead of changing their ways.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
GOP senator Susan Collins: Why I cannot support Trump
by Susan Collins

I will not be voting for Donald Trump for president. This is not a decision I make lightly, for I am a lifelong Republican. But Donald Trump does not reflect historical Republican values nor the inclusive approach to governing that is critical to healing the divisions in our country.

When the primary season started, it soon became apparent that, much like Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Mr. Trump was connecting with many Americans who felt that their voices were not being heard in Washington and who were tired of political correctness. But rejecting the conventions of political correctness is different from showing complete disregard for common decency. Mr. Trump did not stop with shedding the stilted campaign dialogue that often frustrates voters. Instead, he opted for a constant stream of denigrating comments, including demeaning Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) heroic military service and repeatedly insulting Fox News host Megyn Kelly.

With the passage of time, I have become increasingly dismayed by his constant stream of cruel comments and his inability to admit error or apologize. But it was his attacks directed at people who could not respond on an equal footing — either because they do not share his power or stature or because professional responsibility precluded them from engaging at such a level — that revealed Mr. Trump as unworthy of being our president.

My conclusion about Mr. Trump’s unsuitability for office is based on his disregard for the precept of treating others with respect, an idea that should transcend politics. Instead, he opts to mock the vulnerable and inflame prejudices by attacking ethnic and religious minorities. Three incidents in particular have led me to the inescapable conclusion that Mr. Trump lacks the temperament, self-discipline and judgment required to be president.

The first was his mocking of a reporter with disabilities, a shocking display that did not receive the scrutiny it deserved. I kept expecting Mr. Trump to apologize, at least privately, but he did not, instead denying that he had done what seemed undeniable to anyone who watched the video. At the time, I hoped that this was a terrible lapse, not a pattern of abuse.

The second was Mr. Trump’s repeated insistence that Gonzalo Curiel, a federal judge born and raised in Indiana, could not rule fairly in a case involving Trump University because of his Mexican heritage. For Mr. Trump to insist that Judge Curiel would be biased because of his ethnicity demonstrated a profound lack of respect not only for the judge but also for our constitutional separation of powers, the very foundation of our form of government. Again, I waited in vain for Mr. Trump to retract his words.

Third was Donald Trump’s criticism of the grieving parents of Army Capt. Humayun Khan, who was killed in Iraq. It is inconceivable that anyone, much less a presidential candidate, would attack two Gold Star parents. Rather than honoring their sacrifice and recognizing their pain, Mr. Trump disparaged the religion of the family of an American hero. And once again, he proved incapable of apologizing, of saying he was wrong.

I am also deeply concerned that Mr. Trump’s lack of self-restraint and his barrage of ill-informed comments would make an already perilous world even more so. It is reckless for a presidential candidate to publicly raise doubts about honoring treaty commitments with our allies. Mr. Trump’s tendency to lash out when challenged further escalates the possibility of disputes spinning dangerously out of control.

I had hoped that we would see a “new” Donald Trump as a general-election candidate — one who would focus on jobs and the economy, tone down his rhetoric, develop more thoughtful policies and, yes, apologize for ill-tempered rants. But the unpleasant reality that I have had to accept is that there will be no “new” Donald Trump, just the same candidate who will slash and burn and trample anything and anyone he perceives as being in his way or an easy scapegoat. Regrettably, his essential character appears to be fixed, and he seems incapable of change or growth.

At the same time, I realize that Mr. Trump’s success reflects profound discontent in this country, particularly among those who feel left behind by an unbalanced economy and who wonder whether their children will have a better life than their parents. As we have seen with the dissatisfaction with both major- party nominees — neither of whom I support — these passions are real and the public will demand action.

Some will say that as a Republican I have an obligation to support my party’s nominee. I have thought long and hard about that, for being a Republican is part of what defines me as a person. I revere the history of my party, most particularly the value it has always placed on the worth and dignity of the individual, and I will continue to work across the country for Republican candidates. It is because of Mr. Trump’s inability and unwillingness to honor that legacy that I am unable to support his candidacy.

The writer, a Republican, represents Maine in the Senate.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Have fun with Hillary, then.  You stupid bitch.

Doesn't matter, anyway.  Trump is for Hillary, too, by the looks of it.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
The GOP must dump Trump
By Joe Scarborough

The Muslim ban, the David Duke denial, the “Mexican” judge flap, the draft dodger denigrating John McCain’s military service, the son of privilege attacking an immigrant Gold Star mother and the constant revisionism and lying about past political positions taken are but a few of the lowlights that have punctuated Donald Trump’s chaotic chase for the presidency.

Any one of these offenses would have disqualified any other candidate for president. But the Republican nominee remained competitive against a historically weak Democratic nominee on the promise of bringing radical change and dramatic disruption to Washington.

That appears to be changing. Post-convention polls show Trump falling behind by double digits both nationally and in must-win swing states like Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and Virginia.

And the political ride will only get rockier for Trump in the coming days after he suggested that one way to keep a conservative Supreme Court after Hillary Clinton got elected would be to assassinate her or federal judges. Trump and his supporters have been scrambling wildly all day to explain away the inexplicable, but they can stop wasting their time. The GOP nominee was clearly suggesting that some of the “Second Amendment people” among his supporters could kill his Democratic opponent were she to be elected.

The presidential candidate that House Speaker Paul Ryan endorsed tried to explain away his suggestion of an assassination by telling Sean Hannity his comments were meant to unite supporters before the election. It’s too bad for Trump and his supporters that his comments related to what Hillary Clinton would do after being elected and nominating Supreme Court justices that gun owners would not like.

We are in uncharted waters but that does not mean that the way forward is not clear. It is.

1. The Secret Service should interview Donald Trump and ask him to explain his threatening comments.
    2. Paul Ryan and every Republican leader should denounce in the strongest terms their GOP nominee suggesting conservatives could find the Supreme Court more favorable to their desires if his political rival was assassinated.
    3. Paul Ryan and every Republican leader should revoke their endorsement of Donald Trump. At this point, what else could Trump do that would be worse than implying the positive impact of a political assassination?
    4. The Republican Party needs to start examining quickly their options for removing the Republican nominee.

A bloody line has been crossed that cannot be ignored. At long last, Donald Trump has left the Republican Party few options but to act decisively and get this political train wreck off the tracks before something terrible happens.

Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman from Florida, hosts the MSNBC show “Morning Joe."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Funny how cultish pathetic lemmings in the Dem party refuse to call Hilarity out for her crime spree. 

chaos

• Getbig V
Funny how cultish pathetic lemmings in the Dem party refuse to call Hilarity out for her crime spree. 
The list is already impressive and it seems to be growing constantly. :o
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V

I guess one of those lemmings is FBI Director James Comey

chaos

• Getbig V
I guess one of those lemmings is FBI Director James Comey
Absofuckinglutely!! Smart enough to not go against Clinton and surprisingly he's still alive. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Trump must go
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Editorial

Donald Trump must end his campaign for the White House in a reckoning with his own madness, while praying that nothing comes of his musing about an assassination of Hillary Clinton.

In the event that Trump fails to abandon his candidacy — as he seems determined to — the Republican Party, including vice presidential nominee Mike Pence, must instead abandon Trump for toying with political bloodshed.

Trump hurtled past offensiveness into dangerous recklessness on Tuesday by suggesting violence as a means to prevent Clinton from nominating U.S. Supreme Court justices.

At a rally in North Carolina, Trump leveled a standard accusation that Clinton intends to essentially repeal the Second Amendment by naming justices who would eviscerate the right to purchase and own firearms.

Then, referring to gun owners, he said: “By the way, and if she gets the pick — if she gets the pick of her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I dunno.”

Trump can offer no apology sufficient to make up for insidiously making light of murder. Nor can he explain away or justify planting a notion that could spur a demented follower to kill a political rival, a President or Supreme Court justices.

Predictably, his campaign claimed that he “was obviously talking about American voters who are passionate about their Second Amendment rights and advocating they use that power at the ballot box.”

Since the Democratic convention, Trump’s offensiveness, ignorance and instability have repulsed Americans, including Republicans, in increasing numbers. Leading GOP national security experts have deemed him unfit to serve as commander in chief.

With notable exceptions, Republican officials have stayed uneasily with Trump while disowning his words and actions. Now, he has left them no choice but to dump Trump.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
trump is doing this king of stupid stuff - and he's not even president.  He's just running.

imagine the pressure he'll feel as president.  Will be way greater.  When he makes little vague jokes about taking out other world leaders, the consequences for our nation will be much worse than a few outraged people on CNN.  They'll be expelling diplomats and starting trade wars.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Conservative wonks dismayed by Trump’s lack of substance
“God help us,” George Shultz said when asked about the prospect of a Donald Trump presidency.
By James Hohmann

PALO ALTO, Calif. — “God help us,” George Shultz said yesterday when asked about the prospect of a Donald Trump presidency.

Ronald Reagan’s secretary of state has compiled a 226-page “Blueprint for America,” with contributions from 10 scholars at the Hoover Institution — the conservative-leaning think tank where he is a distinguished fellow.

The book is intended to provide the next president with advice about how to ensure America’s long-term greatness, including sections on the importance of an open immigration system, free trade and entitlement reform.

But it is a little awkward because the GOP nominee is running against each of those three concepts. He also seems uninterested in the finer points of policy-making.

Shultz, who helped shepherd the Cold War toward a peaceful denouement, has not taken a side in the presidential contest. He watched his words very carefully when asked about the election during a two-hour roundtable with a group of reporters here on the campus of Stanford University. But for someone who has devoted the lion’s share of his life to public service, it seems obvious that Trumpism is frustrating, even distressing.

-- The production of the “Blueprint” was set in motion long before Trump hijacked the Republican Party, back when putative front-runner Jeb Bush was hiring policy experts and churning out white papers that hewed closely to conservative orthodoxy.

As an executive at Bechtel in 1980, Shultz contributed a chapter to a similar book intended as a template for Reagan. It drew little notice at the time, but years later Mikhail Gorbachev brought it up at length during a meeting in the Kremlin. It signaled that these statements of core principles can reverberate, even when written outside government. So Shultz decided to do it again in 2016.

-- The 95-year-old feels very strongly that the country’s political system “has gone off the rails.” Svelte and dapper in a powder-blue, checkered sports coat, he explained that “it happened gradually” as a procession of White Houses clawed power and autonomy away from cabinet agencies.

Shultz has as much institutional memory on this as anyone. He is one of only two Americans to hold four cabinet posts. He was Richard Nixon’s secretary of treasury and labor, as well as his OMB director. He tells funny stories about Lyndon Johnson and Dwight Eisenhower (Shultz worked on his Council of Economic Advisers). Before that, he served as a Marine captain in the Pacific Theater during World War II.

As someone loyal to the executive branch, he criticized the Senate for not allowing prompt up-or-down votes on President Obama’s nominees. He said holds and unjustified delays keep the best people from going into the federal government, which adversely affects public policy. “You’re trying to attract ‘A’ players to come into the government,” he explained. “If people weren’t getting blocked, you could get ‘A’ players.”

Then Shultz faulted the administration for not working more closely with congressional leadership, the way Reagan did with House Speaker Tip O’Neill. During his years at Foggy Bottom, he said he always made a point to bring members of Congress with him while negotiating treaties that would later require ratification in the Senate (including, crucially, the Geneva Summit in 1985).

“We used to say if you want me in on the landing, then include me on the takeoff,” Shultz recalled. “Get back to the old-fashioned way, and we’ll be able to govern much better!”

He hopes that the next president pursues tax reform and follows the bipartisan model that worked in 1986. “There was an atmosphere of wanting to get something accomplished,” Shultz said. “The country would be much better off.”

-- Shultz’s non-endorsement of Trump is just the latest signal of unease within the foreign policy establishment. Kori Schake, who co-authored a chapter in the secretary’s “Blueprint,” was the State Department’s deputy director for policy planning and the National Security Council’s director for defense strategy under Condoleezza Rice. She recently endorsed Hillary Clinton and was among the 50 signatories on last week’s open letter declaring that Trump would be “the most reckless president in American history.”

-- Lanhee Chen, who served as Mitt Romney’s policy director in 2012 and advised Marco Rubio during the primaries, believes it is probably best for the long-term health of conservatism if Trump loses in November.

“I would rather not see him win,” Chen, a fellow at Hoover, said during an afternoon session here. “That’s my personal view. If we want to have a discussion about what the conservative movement stands for, the impetus is already there. … The conservative movement has become disembodied from the Republican Party. Now the challenge is: Can you put that genie back in the bottle?”

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Lol at BayGBM holding up the word of George Schultz as though it suddenly means something.

You're trying to have all things at once, which makes you look like a flake.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Nice Adam's Apple on Condi, Btw.