Author Topic: Member fees for websites  (Read 2451 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Member fees for websites
« on: March 26, 2006, 12:59:11 PM »
I've noticed a trend among fitness competitors to charges monthly "member fees" for their sites.

While I'm all about capitalism, and I certainly don't begrudge any of you for making as much money as you possibly can from your physiques, there's something inside of me that thinks you're being penny wise and dollar foolish.

From what I've seen, your sport isn't exactly exploding, as evidenced by the Fitness Nationals in New York City being held in a venue that only seats approx 1000.

By charging people to see your websites, aren't you making the sport even more exclusive and alienating casual fans who might like the sport but don't see why they should pay each of you $15 a month for the rest of their lives.

Feel free to tell me how wrong and misguided I am.

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
Re: Member fees for websites
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 03:30:46 PM »
I think that many of the sites have free section where you can see a lot. The websites allow us to get a little extra income to cover our travel expenses for shoots and competitions.
Speaking for myself.....

Most of my members are actually not guys who are into fitness, but guys who were intrigued by me as a person and loved my pictures. I have to cover my trips for shoots, I dont get paid for them. I also have to pay for all the outfits myself  (these current shoots I have coming up..my outfits alone cost well over 2k  I do sell them to other girls when I am done, but I still have to buy them, and when you have 6 shoots... you need 8 outfits a day and you cannot reuse outfits that have been published)... all of this adds up, and having the site helps. Sometimes, when I shoot exclusive content, I have to pay for the photographer, the location as well as the make-up artist....  About 4k.... so giving away everything for free does not make business sense.

There are many models on the net who have pay sites.... in the early 90s  one could make excellent money.. now it is harder and to be very successfull  you have to do web shows etc.. you can still do it without x rated content, but not that easily

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the response, Dina, and I understand where you're coming from. Every little bit helps. However, IMO, there's a trade-off for that little extra income the women make from their sites. You make yourself less accessible in a sport whose stars need to be as accessible as possible in order to draw more fans, who translate into bigger prize money for the competitors, and more/better paying modeling gigs.

I'm sure there plenty of young women who would want to grow up to be just like you. Unfortunately, they don't know you exist.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

BTW

Count me in as one of the guys who is intrigued by you and loves your pictures.

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 07:21:59 AM »
I do not see how I am not accessible..and young girls are really not my target market. My target is women my age and guys.

I am very accessible. I have a free blog that is a training diary too. I have lots of free pictures. I have my tear sheets scanned... I even have samples of the images in the member section...and I change them out all the time. I have a full bio and all my contest history... nothing is in the member section other than additional pictures

If I had one page with no info then I would agree with you.  I would venture to say that most sites out there offer a lot for free

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 07:36:37 AM »
I do not see how I am not accessible..and young girls are really not my target market. My target is women my age and guys.

I am very accessible. I have a free blog that is a training diary too. I have lots of free pictures. I have my tear sheets scanned... I even have samples of the images in the member section...and I change them out all the time. I have a full bio and all my contest history... nothing is in the member section other than additional pictures

If I had one page with no info then I would agree with you.  I would venture to say that most sites out there offer a lot for free

i have to agree with Dina here...... at least about her site. there is a lot you can access for free