Author Topic: Trump: the implosion continues  (Read 47555 times)

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
Re: Trump: the implosion continues
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2016, 05:00:52 AM »
Trump complains debate was unfair as Clinton builds on strong performance
By Philip Rucker, Robert Costa and Matea Gold

Hillary Clinton moved to capitalize Tuesday on a sharp-edged debate performance that exposed vulnerabilities for Donald Trump, excoriating his values and character in an effort to expand her coalition of women, minorities and young voters.

Trump, meanwhile, scrambled to move his campaign forward. While the Republican nominee insisted that he was not unnerved, he and his advisers grasped at excuses to explain why he did not perform better at the first presidential debate Monday night.

Trump on Tuesday was unrepentant and eager to defend his past, denigrating a former beauty pageant winner whom he targeted as his latest foil and vowing to attack Clinton over her husband’s marital infidelities in their next showdown.

In a country divided over two historically unpopular candidates, Trump’s turn is unlikely to shake his core support. But Democrats said they felt assured that Trump’s hot temperament, scattered demeanor and series of statements that left him exposed to further scrutiny would make it increasingly difficult for him to win over the undecided voters he has been courting, especially moderate white women.

“I look back as a former practitioner and say, ‘Is there anything Donald Trump did to convince somebody who wasn’t in his column to be for him?’ ” said David Plouffe, President Obama’s former campaign manager. “I have a hard time thinking there’s many of those people. I don’t think he lost anybody. But that’s not his challenge now. He’s got to add.”

Clinton was ebullient as she returned to the campaign trail Tuesday in Raleigh, N.C., and strove to keep alive the controversies that marred Trump’s debate performance.

“The real point is about temperament and fitness and qualification to hold the most important, hardest job in the world, and I think people saw last night some very clear differences between us,” Clinton told reporters aboard her campaign plane en route to North Carolina.

Trump did little to change the subject. In a Tuesday morning interview on Fox News Channel, he said debate moderator Lester Holt, the anchor of “NBC Nightly News,” was biased, and the Republican complained about the quality of his microphone. Clinton jabbed him for that, telling reporters, “Anybody who complains about the microphone is not having a good night.”

Trump also disparaged a former Miss Universe pageant winner, Alicia Machado, for her physique. In the debate, Clinton raised Trump’s past comments about the Venezuela-born woman, who was crowned Miss Universe at age 19 in 1996.

“He called this woman ‘Miss Piggy,’ and then he called her ‘Miss Housekeeping,’ because she is Latina,” Clinton said in one of the debate’s more electric exchanges.

The next morning, Trump offered an indignant defense of how he dealt with Machado when he was a partner in the company that owned the Miss Universe contest.

“She was the worst we ever had,” he said on Fox, adding: “She gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem.”

The Clinton campaign sought to advance the story across media platforms, releasing a Web video featuring the beauty queen-turned-actor, now a U.S. citizen who lives in California, and arranging a conference call for reporters with Machado, who described the election as “like a bad dream.”

Like Trump’s feud this summer with the Muslim parents of a dead U.S. soldier, the Machado episode rapidly emerged as a microcosm of the campaign — and a test of whether Trump can expand his support beyond his base of aggrieved white voters, most of them men.

Mike Murphy, a veteran Republican strategist who has been critical of the party’s nominee, said Trump’s comments about Machado were “hugely tone deaf.” The debate overall, he said, was for many Republicans “an ‘Oh, crap’ moment. If you thought he had a spring in his step for the last few weeks and was getting back in the hunt, that’s pretty much gone.”

Few of Trump’s supporters went so far as to crown him the victor. House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), who has been a weather vane for the Republican leadership during this election season, was supportive though muted at a Tuesday news conference. He told reporters that Trump gave a “unique, Donald Trump response to the status quo.”

“I think he gave a spirited argument,” Ryan said, “and I think he passed a number of thresholds.”

Trump’s backers insisted that the debate would not damage his standing in the close race with Clinton. Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.) said, “As far as the temperament, that’s how he’s been for the last 15 months. It got him to the top. . . . He does have the feistiness that I think 51 percent of the American people will like.”

William J. Bennett, who served in President Ronald Reagan’s Cabinet, said of Trump: “When he loses his temper a little bit, many people see that as passion and as someone who’s engaged in the fight and in what he believes. People forgive that — and a leopard can’t change his spots.”

It will take several days before the political impact of Monday’s debate becomes clear, but many Republicans said they were bracing for Clinton to get a bump in the polls. An estimated 84 million people watched the clash at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., making it the most-watched presidential debate in history.

The event reverberated around the globe. Former Mexican president Vicente Fox said Trump’s behavior should alarm world leaders because he revealed himself to be “ignorant” and “dangerous.”

“When he speaks about the geoeconomic situation and the geopolitical situation and terrorism, he’s absolutely ignorant, and he’s only provoking us democratic leaders from around the world to reject everything he’s proposing,” Fox, who watched the debate on Mexican television, said in a telephone interview. “He is an imperialistic gringo.”

In the United States, the risk for Trump is that a negative impression sets in on shows such as NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” on social media and in workplace conversations.

Democrats sought to taunt Trump on his uneven performance, particularly given his regular attacks on Clinton’s “stamina” and appearance.

“He seemed unable to handle that big stage, and I really did feel that by the end, with the kind of snorting, the water gulping and the leaning on the lectern, that he just seemed really out of gas,” said Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta.

Trump previewed an even more combative second debate, Oct. 9 in St. Louis, by saying he might “hit her harder,” perhaps over former president Bill Clinton’s affairs.

“I really eased up because I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings,” Trump said on Fox, saying he would have brought up “the many affairs that Bill Clinton had” but held back because the Clintons’ daughter, Chelsea, was in the audience.

“I didn’t think it was worth the shot,” he said. “I didn’t think it was nice.”

Hillary Clinton shrugged off the threat, telling reporters: “He can run his campaign however he chooses. I will continue to talk about what I want to do for the American people.”

Clinton campaigned at a community college gymnasium in Raleigh to whoops and loud applause. “One down, two to go,” she said of the debates.

During a campaign rally in Melbourne, Fla., Tuesday evening, Trump said that Clinton is “a woman that I think is virtually incompetent, certainly as secretary of state.” He called her incompetent repeatedly throughout the rally.

“We’re going to get rid of that crooked woman. She’s a crooked woman. She’s a very, very dishonest woman,” Trump said.

For Democrats, Trump provided what Plouffe called “an embarrassment of riches” at the debate — a series of controversial statements and unresolved, damaging questions. He seemed to affirm that he paid no income taxes; he made side remarks and pained expressions while Clinton praised the vibrancy of African Americans; he said it was a smart business strategy to profit from the housing crash.

Vice President Biden seized on that last point at a rally for Clinton in Philadelphia, where he charged that Trump has no “moral center.”

“This is a guy who said it was good business for him to see the housing market fail,” Biden said. “What in the hell is he talking about?”

Clinton and a brigade of high-profile surrogates plan to continue using Trump’s debate comments against him. She will campaign in New Hampshire on Wednesday with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), hoping to energize young voters there with a discussion of college affordability, while first lady Michelle Obama will stump across Pennsylvania on Thursday.

“He put a lot on the table — a lot of things that are not true and a lot of views that we think are counter to where most voters are,” said Jennifer Palmieri, Clinton’s communications director. “It won’t end tomorrow. There’s a lot that will live on from this debate.”

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2016, 04:08:13 PM »
Trump stumbles into Clinton’s trap by feuding with Latina beauty queen
by James Hohmann

It might be Hillary Clinton’s most cunning move since the start of the general election. The Democratic nominee set a trap for Donald Trump in the final minutes of the first debate, and he walked right into it.

The GOP nominee’s decision to take the bait and rehash his past attacks of a former Miss Universe for gaining too much weight is now dominating the conversation. And the controversy is helping the Clinton campaign galvanize Latinos and prevent undecided women from moving toward Trump.

Even as Trump proclaimed victory in New York, he allowed during a Fox News interview yesterday that he let himself get a little too irritated “at the end, maybe” when Clinton brought up Alicia Machado. Machado alleges that Trump called her names such as “Miss Piggy” and “Miss Housekeeping” when she gained weight after winning the Miss Universe crown in 1996.

Trump could have brushed off the question and moved on the next morning, but instead he engaged. “She was the worst we ever had. The worst. The absolute worst. She was impossible,” Trump said of Machado on Fox. “She was the winner, and she gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem. We had a real problem.”

-- Operatives in Brooklyn had been working with Machado since the summer. They had a video featuring her story ready to go. Cosmopolitan had a photo spread of her draped in an American flag – to go with a profile – in the can. Machado had also conducted an interview with The Guardian that was “apparently embargoed for post-debate release,” according to Vox. And the Clinton super PAC Priorities USA turned a digital ad to highlight the insults by early afternoon.

The Clinton press shop then set up a conference call for Machado to respond to what Trump said on “Fox and Friends.” Speaking with reporters, Machado recounted how Trump “always treated me like a lesser thing, like garbage” and that his new words are like “a bad dream.” She said in a mix of Spanish and halting English that she watched the debate with her mother and daughter and cried as Clinton recounted her story, Ed O’Keefe reports.

Campaign calls like these are usually gimmicky ploys that get little attention, but this one played prominently in every news organization’s second-day coverage about the debate. Megyn Kelly, against whom Trump leveled gendered attacks against last year after she moderated a debate, then interviewed Machado in primetime on Fox News last night.

-- Opposition researchers also gleefully pushed Trump quotes about her from the 1990s. Here are two examples (more are in the social media speed read):

In 1997, Donald told Howard Stern that Machado was an “eating machine” who “ate a lot of everything.” “You whipped this fat slob into shape,” the radio host told Trump. “I don’t know how you did it. I see all these diet plans, everything else. God bless you.” When asked if Trump had “gotten her down to 118,” he said she is going to be there soon. (Via Buzzfeed)
    Around the same time, Trump told Newsweek: “We’ve tried diet, spa, a trainer, incentives. Forget it, the way she’s going, she’d eat the whole gymnasium.”

-- “Morning Joe” extensively covered the spat today. Joe Scarborough said “this was all people were talking about” at his daughter’s parents night. Mike Barnicle said when he was picking up a prescription at the Duane Reade drugstore, the woman behind the counter – unprompted – referenced the "Miss Piggy" controversy. "She is furious, behind the counter, she's furious,” he recalled. "Of all the things he's done in this campaign, this is the one that could linger,” Mark Halperin chimed him. “The Clinton campaign cannot believe he's giving them the political opportunity...This is exactly what they would want to happen...They couldn't script it any better!” Barnicle agreed: “The Miss Housekeeping phrase is just as lethal to Donald Trump as Miss Piggy.” NBC’s “Today” show did their own segment this morning too.

-- New York Magazine’s Jonathan Chait predicts Trump’s criticism of Machado will have the same staying power as his attacks on Khizr Khan, the Gold Star father who spoke at the Democratic National Convention: “What truly made the set piece work was Trump’s response, which Clinton could not have scripted better if she tried. Unlike the previous allegations, he did not deny them, but instead burst out — three times! — ‘Where did you find this?’ I have seen villains in Disney movies presented with damning evidence react this way, but I have never seen an actual human being do it, until now.”

-- Importantly, this story has also broken through across non-traditional outlets:

It was the second story on Telemundo’s evening newscast and the third story on Univision’s.

“Donald Trump Continues to Body Shame the Former Miss Universe He Called 'Miss Piggy'” is the headline on People Magazine’s home page.

“Alicia Machado Opens Up About Trump's Treatment of Her: ‘He’s Not a Good Person,’” is the headline in The Hollywood Reporter.

The Palm Beach Post, in the heart of a key swing state, has a listicle in today’s edition: “Alicia Machado: 5 things to know about Trump’s latest target.”

-- The gender dynamic is perhaps the most dominant theme in the mainstream media’s post-debate commentary:

“Trump’s interruptions of Clinton are familiar to women” is the headline on the front page of  the Boston Globe. Their story, about HRC getting interrupted 51 times during the debate, quotes women in a range of professions talking about how they’ve experienced the same thing.

“Last night’s debate, or the mansplaining Olympics” by Alexandra Petri is the most read story on the opinion section of The Post’s web site.

“Although she would never talk about it in the way that Trump discusses the victimization of being audited, Clinton carries the ever-expanding knowledge of what it’s like to be dismissed, disrespected, and treated unfairly,” Jia Tolentino writes in The New Yorker. “This is precisely why she was so calm and steely last night—so Presidential. It’s why she can express genuine solidarity with people like Alicia Machado, people whom Trump can barely see.”

“When I watch, I sometimes feel like Ingrid Bergman — not European and glamorous, but unnerved, as though I’m being gaslit,” said New York Times Magazine staff writer Susan Dominus. “Trump tries to gaslight an entire country when he plays fast and loose with the truth or insists on logic-defying connections — each of which is an apt tactic for someone who often questions the mental health of women who dare to criticize him. If they are women with big careers … they are ‘neurotic.’ He called the Rev. Faith Green Timmons, a pastor who calmly and boldly interrupted him at her church in Flint, Mich., ‘nervous,’ which is apparently the black woman’s (or middle-class woman’s) version of neurotic. These women are not just wrong to Trump; they are suffering from a kind of mental or medical condition. Women, he clearly believes, or wants us to believe, are emotional, guided by feelings rather than reason, which presumably makes them unfit to lead (or unfit to give Trump a hard time).”

“The idea that we should trust men who hate us in private to protect us in the public sphere is the ultimate insult to our intelligence,” adds Post blogger Alyssa Rosenberg.

-- This feud helps Clinton with two crucial constituencies:

-- Galvanizing Latinos: Beauty pageants are as big as the Super Bowl is for us in Latin America, and it was no coincidence that Machado emerged as a surrogate on National Voter Registration Day. The campaign is working to encourage Latinos and other less-engaged groups who dislike Trump to get on the rolls. “This was about consolidation,” Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg told Greg Sargent. “One of the big things (that has been) holding her back was the failure to consolidate Democrats.”

James Downie, who watched a dial group of 100 likely voters during the debate, elaborates: “After the debate, though there was only a small shift in the group toward Clinton, they had a much more favorable view toward her, and a number of voters who had come in as ‘weak’ Clinton supporters left as ‘strong’ Clinton supporters."

-- Expanding the gender gap. Around this time four years ago, Mitt Romney was running ads in Northern Virginia to reassure women that he was not as anti-abortion as the Obama campaign was making him out to be. A female narrator noted that the former Massachusetts governor supports contraception and is okay with abortions in the case of rape, incest and life of the mother. Trump, who said at one point this year that women who get abortions should be punished, has made no concerted or direct effort to improve his standing with women.

The New York Times interviewed women in Pennsylvania’s Chester County (a suburban area where Romney beat President Obama in 2012 by less than 1 point) about the debate. Trip Gabriel reports that several dozen of the women he spoke with consistently said Trump had failed to win them over, and in several cases they said he had repelled them. His lead illustration is Nancy Groux, an undecided Republican who hungers for change in Washington. “I truly want to like him,” she said. “I keep looking for something in him. But I can’t have my children grow up and look at him as someone to respect.”

Making matters worse, Trump surrogates keep going out of their way to give Clinton more fodder for women’s outreach. “After being married to Bill Clinton for 20 years, if you didn’t know the moment Monica Lewinsky said that Bill Clinton violated her that she was telling the truth, then you’re too stupid to be president,” Rudy Giuliani told reporters at Hofstra University.

When in 2012 Rush Limbaugh called law school student Sandra Fluke a “slut” and a “prostitute” for testifying before Congress that employers should cover birth control for women, Romney had a press avail to say that he disagreed and that those were not the words he would have used. Yesterday, reacting to the debate, Limbaugh said on his radio show: “Hillary came off exactly as many people see her: a witch with a capital B.” I’d bet you $10 that Trump will not denounce this offensive comment if asked about it today.

-- Ratings: Monday’s debate was the most-watched ever, with 84 million viewers tuning in to see it live. That broke a record set by Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan in 1980. No debate since then had exceeded 70 million viewers. For context, twice as many watched Monday as watched Bill Clinton debate Bob Dole in 1996. Experts predicted there would be a big dip in viewers after the first half hour, but what’s most striking about the overnight numbers was that most stayed with it for the full 90 minutes. That means they saw the final half hour, when the Machado exchange happened. (AP)

-- Establishment Republicans once again, privately, are slamming their heads against the wall because of their standard bearer’s embarrassing lack of self-discipline. In the Capitol, many GOP leaders tried to avoid discussing the debate and its aftermath with reporters:

• Paul Ryan: “I was working out and working this morning, I didn’t watch. I wasn’t watching Fox News this morning. So I’m not going to comment on something I didn’t see.”

• Marco Rubio: “I didn’t see (the debate), guys. I was on an airplane.”

• Mitch McConnell offered just nine words during an afternoon news conference before moving on: “On the debate, I thought he did just fine.”

• Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Illinois) waved off a reporter who approached him about the debate as an aide curtly said, “We’re not talking about that,” according to the Globe.

• John McCain would only say that he thought it was “very interesting” as he hurried toward an elevator.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2016, 03:07:06 PM »
Donald Trump’s weight problem: He can’t stop talking about ‘fat’ people
by  By Katie Zezima and Jose A. DelReal

Donald Trump has a serious weight problem: He can’t seem to stop criticizing the girth of others.

For decades, Trump has commented on other people’s bodies, particularly women who he believes had gained too much weight or were, in his word, “fat.” The recurring habit flared again this week when the Republican presidential nominee attacked the size of a Miss Universe winner, claiming she had gained “a massive amount of weight” while she wore the pageant’s crown and that “it was a real problem.”

Trump called actress Rosie O’Donnell a “fat pig” and said she has a “fat, ugly face.” He said singer Jennifer Lopez has a “fat a--” and said reality television star Kim Kardashian had “gotten a little large” during her pregnancy. He kept a “fat photo” of one employee whose weight fluctuated in a drawer and told an overweight executive, “you like your candy,” according to the employees. When a reporter complimented his wife, Melania, on her appearance shortly after giving birth, Donald Trump replied: “She’s lost almost all the baby weight.”

Trump also mocks the weight of men, but usually in a more jocular way than his remarks about women. Trump reportedly told a producer on “The Apprentice” that “everybody loves a fat guy,” and he has joked about New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s size on the campaign trail.

Trump’s comments about weight, along with a long line of other incendiary comments about women, present another serious challenge for him in attracting female voters in November. Trump needs to gain support from moderate suburban women to ascend to the White House, but so far he has found little success with female voters, many of whom find the Republican nominee offensive and unacceptable. According to an ABC News-Washington Post poll released this week, 55 percent of women surveyed said they plan to vote for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

Trump’s obsession with weight carries some irony for a candidate who boasts about his unhealthy eating habits, dining regularly on McDonald’s hamburgers and buckets of KFC fried chicken on his private jet. By his own public accounting of his medical health, Trump is just five pounds shy of being considered obese under the body mass index.

“I work out on occasion . . . as little as possible,” Trump said at a 1997 news conference during which he mocked the weight of reporters.

Trump has long commented on women he believes are attractive, including his daughter, Ivanka, whom Trump said has a “very nice figure.” But he also has singled out celebrities for verbal abuse about their weight, including O’Donnell and Kardashian. He said Kardashian has a “bad body” and that she shouldn’t dress “like you weigh 120 pounds,” a comment he made while she was pregnant.

Tim Miller, a longtime Republican strategist and a staunch Trump opponent who worked for Jeb Bush during the GOP primary campaign, said Trump’s insults about weight and other physical characteristics and his general lack of discipline raise serious questions about his temperament.

“He’s a middle schooler who is filled with insecurities and insults people to try to deal with his insecurities,” Miller said.

Ana Navarro, a Republican strategist, tweeted: “I’ve struggled w/weight issues all my life. And I agree. A man who shames and bullies a woman for her weight, isn’t even fit to be a man.”

Trump’s campaign did not respond to requests for comment Wednesday about his history of remarks about people’s weight.

The latest controversy erupted at the tail end of Monday night’s first presidential debate, when Clinton brought up Alicia Machado, who was crowned Miss Universe in 1996 at a time when Trump was a partner in the group that owned the pageant. During her reign, Machado was caught up in a tabloid- and Trump-fueled uproar over her weight.

In 1997, Trump publicly claimed the Venezuelan pageant queen had gained up to 60 pounds, but she said it was no more than 19. Machado says she gained the weight when she returned to eating normally after suffering from anorexia and bulimia before the competition. Trump went so far as to ambush Machado in a New York gym, where he held a news conference criticizing her weight as she sat on a stationary bike and jumped rope in front of dozens of television cameras.

“We’ve tried diet, spa, a trainer, incentives. Forget it, the way she’s going, she’d eat the whole gymnasium,” Trump told Newsweek at the time.

Machado, now a U.S. citizen, says Trump called her “Miss Piggy” in reference to her weight and “Miss Housekeeping” in reference to her ethnicity — both of which were highlighted by Clinton on the debate stage Monday.

In a conference call arranged by Clinton’s campaign Tuesday, Machado said Trump “always treated me like a lesser thing, like garbage.”

Trump has reacted angrily, telling Fox News on Tuesday: “She was the worst we ever had, the worst, the absolute worst, she was impossible. She gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem. We had a real problem. Not only that, her attitude.”

Trump surrogate Kayleigh McEnany said on CNN that Trump didn’t force Machado to work out, and she defended the candidate for calling Machado an “eating machine” in 1997.

“I like to eat. I like to eat. That is not necessarily a sexist thing,” McEnany said.

Some Trump allies also highlighted news reports about a 1988 incident in Venezuela in an attempt to undercut Machado’s credibility. The reports said Machado was suspected of driving the getaway car after her then-boyfriend allegedly shot a man and then threatened the judge in the case; no charges were ever filed against her. Machado brushed off the case on CNN on Tuesday, calling the reports “speculation.”

Trump sought to put the controversy to rest Wednesday, stating during an interview several times that in fact he had “saved her job.”

“I saved her job because they wanted to fire her for putting on so much weight,” Trump told Bill O’Reilly on Fox News on Wednesday. “And it is a beauty contest, you know. I mean, say what you want, they know what they’re getting into. It’s a beauty contest. And I said don’t do that.

“And you know what happened? Look what I get out of it. I get nothing,” Trump added later.

Trump’s latest comments about Machado’s weight were widely pilloried, with Democrats and some Republicans saying the sharp-tongued businessman had again gone too far.

In a radio interview Wednesday, President Obama said Trump insults women “in terms of how he talks about them and talks about their weight and talks about how they look instead of the content of their character and their capabilities.”

Katie Packer, a GOP strategist who opposes Trump, said: “He only seems to place value based on physical appearance. To so publicly humiliate and denigrate a woman who was at least beautiful enough to become Miss Universe sends a signal that he has pretty specific standards for what he considers to be ideal.”

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), a prominent Clinton surrogate, responded Wednesday with a sarcastic tweet referencing Trump’s size.

“The D women Senators have talked & we’re concerned about Donald’s weight,” she tweeted. “Campaign stress? We think a public daily weigh-in is called for.”

In a letter released this month from his personal doctor, Trump, 70, was listed as being 6 feet, 3 inches tall and weighing 236 pounds, making him overweight and on the verge of being obese for that height. The note said he was overall “in excellent physical health.”

At a rally this week in Melbourne, Fla., some women who support Trump were not bothered by his comments on Machado.

“I think it’s nonsense. It’s a business. He ran beauty pageants — so what?” said Ellen Kaufman, 56. “I think we all like a thing of beauty, we all like to look at pretty people. . . . Bill Clinton certainly liked to look at pretty people.”

But Andrea Franz, 54, of Boston, who attended a Clinton rally in Durham, N.H., Wednesday, said Trump’s remarks are emblematic of his general views on women.

“The fact that does he honestly believe at some level, that he is a superior person and that the women he’s talking to are not — that they’re fat, or they’re whatever. . . . It just showed his colors,” she said.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
Trump wanted to fire women who weren't pretty enough, say employees at his California golf club
By MATT PEARCE

Donald Trump wanted only the pretty ones, his employees said.

After the Trump National Golf Club in Rancho Palos Verdes opened for play in 2005, its world-famous owner didn’t stop by more than a few times a year to visit the course hugging the coast of the Pacific.

When Trump did visit, the club’s managers went on alert. They scheduled the young, thin, pretty women on staff to work the clubhouse restaurant  — because when Trump saw less-attractive women working at his club, according to court records, he wanted them fired.

"I had witnessed Donald Trump tell managers many times while he was visiting the club that restaurant hostesses were 'not pretty enough' and that they should be fired and replaced with more attractive women,” Hayley Strozier, who was director of catering at the club until 2008, said in a sworn declaration.

Initially, Trump gave this command “almost every time” he visited, Strozier said. Managers eventually changed employee schedules “so that the most attractive women were scheduled to work when Mr. Trump was scheduled to be at the club," she said.

A similar story is told by former Trump employees in court documents filed in 2012 in a broad labor relations lawsuit brought against one of Trump’s development companies in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

The employees’ declarations in support of the lawsuit, which have not been reported in detail until now, show the extent to which they believed Trump, now the Republican presidential nominee, pressured subordinates at one of his businesses to create and enforce a culture of beauty, where female employees’ appearances were prized over their skills.

A Trump Organization attorney, in a statement to The Times, called the allegations “meritless.”

In a 2009 court filing, the company said that any “allegedly wrongful or discriminatory acts” by its employees, if any occurred, would be in violation of company policy and were not authorized.

Employees said in their declarations that the apparent preference for attractive women came from the top.

“Donald Trump always wanted good looking women working at the club,” said Sue Kwiatkowski, a restaurant manager at the club until 2009, in a declaration. "I know this because one time he took me aside and said, ‘I want you to get some good looking hostesses here. People like to see good looking people when they come in.’ ”

As a result, Kwiatkowski said, "I and the other managers always tried to have our most attractive hostesses working when Mr. Trump was in town and going to be on the premises."

Trump has struggled to win the support of female voters as he seeks the nation’s highest office. In the past, he has insulted women’s appearances, sometimes calling them “pigs” or “dogs.”

Trump’s record with women got renewed attention after this week’s presidential debate, when Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton told the story of a former beauty pageant winner who said Trump called her “Miss Piggy” when she gained weight.

Trump has previously defended himself by saying he has “great respect for women” and “will do far more for women” than Clinton. He has also said that “all are impressed with how nicely I have treated women.”

As part of the lawsuit over a lack of meal and rest breaks at Trump’s golf club about 30 miles south of downtown Los Angeles — his largest real estate holding in Southern California — several employees said managers staffed Trump’s clubhouse restaurant with attractive young women rather than more experienced employees in order to please Trump.

The bulk of the lawsuit was settled in 2013, when golf course management, without admitting any wrongdoing, agreed to pay $475,000 to employees who had complained about break policies. An employee’s claim that she was fired after complaining about the company’s treatment of women was settled separately; its terms remain confidential.

A public relations firm working for the Trump campaign referred questions about the lawsuit to one of the attorneys who represented the Trump National Golf Club in the case.

“We do not engage in discrimination of any kind and have always complied with all wage laws, including by providing our employees with meal and rest breaks,” said the attorney, Jill Martin, assistant general counsel for the Trump Organization.

The former employees’ statements primarily describe the club’s work culture from the mid- to late 2000s. The Times spoke at length to one of the ex-employees, who described in detail the allegations about workplace culture. The person declined to be quoted by name, citing a fear of being sued.

In their sworn declarations, some employees described how Trump, during his stays in Southern California, made inappropriate and patronizing statements to the women working for him.

On one visit, Trump saw “a young, attractive hostess working named Nicole ... and directed that she be brought to a place where he was meeting with a group of men,” former Trump restaurant manager Charles West said in his declaration.

“After this woman had been presented to him, Mr. Trump said to his guests something like, 'See, you don't have to go to Hollywood to find beautiful women,'” West said. “He also turned to Nicole and asked her, ‘Do you like Jewish men?’"

One of the few older people on the wait staff who served Trump, Maral Bolsajian, said she was “uncomfortable” when he visited, calling his behavior toward her “inappropriate.”

"Although I am a grown woman in my forties, Mr. Trump regularly greeted me with expressions like 'how's my favorite girl?'" Bolsajian said in a declaration. "Later, after he learned (by asking me) that I was married — and happily so — he regularly asked, 'are you still happily married?' whenever he saw me."

Trump also asked her to pose for photos with him, said Bolsajian, who added that she felt she “had little recourse given that Donald Trump is not only the head of the company but also one of the most powerful, well-known people in the United States.”

Bolsajian said, “In short, I consistently found Mr. Trump to be overly familiar and unprofessional.”

The lawsuit focused on the course’s high-pressure work culture. Employees said they were not allowed to take the breaks required under California law.

The statements about Trump’s preference for young, attractive employees were filed in support of a separate claim for retaliation, lodged after former restaurant host Lucy Messerschmidt, then 45, contended that she had been fired for complaining about age discrimination.

Jeffrey W. Cowan, a Santa Monica attorney who represented the employees in the lawsuit, said the case targeted Trump’s development company, VH Property Corp., but  “the evidence certainly suggested” that the club’s work culture flowed from Trump.

Although Trump was mostly absent from the course he purchased in 2002, workers said his company maintained a rigorous work environment that often left workers exhausted.

Employees said managers urged them to hurry through brief meal breaks, sometimes even expressing impatience with bathroom breaks.

"My manager insisted that because this was Trump's golf course, it had to be top-notch," one employee said in a declaration. "He was concerned that if Trump observed employees eating or resting, Trump would not be pleased."

Another employee said his manager “seemed obsessed with the fact that this was Donald Trump's golf course,” believing that “Mr. Trump wouldn't like it if he saw employees sitting around because he would think the golf course was inefficient and overstaffed." A valet described a stretch where “someone got fired every week.”

One busboy said in a declaration that he took up smoking so that he would have an excuse for going outside for a break.

In response, Trump’s company filed declarations from more than a dozen other employees who said they regularly were offered lunch breaks of at least 30 minutes for every five-hour shift, and were counseled by managers if they didn’t take them.

Lili Amini, general manager, said in a declaration that the company implemented a firm policy about such breaks in 2009.

Employees said managers started instituting breaks after the class-action lawsuit was filed.

Female employees said they faced additional pressures.

Strozier, the former catering director, said Vincent Stellio — a former Trump bodyguard who had risen to become a Trump Organization vice president — approached her in 2003 about an employee that Strozier thought was talented.

Stellio wanted the employee fired because she was overweight, Strozier said in her legal filing.

"Mr. Stellio told me to do this because 'Mr. Trump doesn't like fat people' and that he would not like seeing [the employee] when he was on the premises,” wrote Strozier, who said she refused the request. (Stellio died in 2010.)

A year later, Mike van der Goes — a golf pro who had been promoted to be Trump National’s general manager — made a similar request to fire the same overweight employee, Strozier said.

“Mr. van der Goes told me that he wanted me to do this because of [the employee's] appearance and the fact that Mr. Trump didn't like people that looked like her,” Strozier wrote.

When Strozier protested, Van der Goes returned a week later “and announced he had a plan of hiding [the employee] whenever Mr. Trump was on the premises,” Strozier wrote.

West, who worked as a restaurant manager at the club until 2008, wrote that Van der Goes ordered him “to hire young, attractive women to be hostesses.” West also said Van der Goes insisted that he “would need to meet all such job applicants first to determine if they were sufficiently pretty."

Van der Goes, who worked at the club until 2008, did not respond to requests for comment, though he defended Trump in a February interview with the Santa Clarita Gazette.

“He’s not a racist. He’s not a bigot,” said Van der Goes, who called Trump “an astute businessman and a marketing genius.”

Employees said several women quit or were fired because they were perceived as unattractive.

A server, John Marlo, recalled seeing a co-worker crying in 2007. The woman had wanted to be promoted to server.

"She told me that she was upset because a manager had told her that she couldn’t be a server because of she had acne on her face,” Marlo said in a declaration. “According to her, she was qualified for the job and wanted it, but couldn't get it solely because of her acne."

The woman quit soon after, Marlo wrote.

Messerschmidt, the employee who said she was fired in retaliation for complaining about age discrimination, said in 2008 that one of her managers, Brian Wolbers, changed her schedule to give her time off during one of Trump’s visits because Trump "likes to see fresh faces" and "young girls."

Wolbers did not respond to a request for comment.

Gail Doner, who worked as a food server from 2007 to 2011, wrote that she was 60 and had often been frustrated by the inefficiency of the restaurant’s young, inexperienced hostesses, who “usually were not competent but were kept anyway.”

“The hostesses that were the youngest and the prettiest always got the best shifts,” Doner wrote.

Meanwhile, Doner — who had 20 years of experience working for wine vendors, and was at “the top of [her] game” while working for Trump National — said managers slowly cut back her shifts until they stopped scheduling her at all, “effectively firing [her].”

“It did not appear to me that this reduction in shifts was happening to any of the younger, more attractive female food servers," Doner said. She added: “I chose not to fight to get my job back because by that point I was fed up with the toxic environment and the way that I was treated.”

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
He is an idiot no doubt, so is Hillary for touting her husbands accomplishments when he is the most infamous adulterer in history and then calling trump sexist

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2016, 10:40:27 PM »

Trump wanted to fire women who weren't pretty enough, say employees at his California golf club
By MATT PEARCE
Donald Trump wanted only the pretty ones, his employees said.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
He is an idiot no doubt, so is Hillary for touting her husbands accomplishments when he is the most infamous adulterer in history and then calling trump sexist

Adulterer vrs sexist.....I don't see where there is any connection. They are two entirely different things.

Some people see President Clinton's accomplishments as being completely separate from his philandering's. It makes me laugh when folks act offended by his sexual escapades.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
Adulterer vrs sexist.....I don't see where there is any connection. They are two entirely different things.

Some people see President Clinton's accomplishments as being completely separate from his philandering's. It makes me laugh when folks act offended by his sexual escapades.

What is funny about Clinton disgracing the office? 

Also, do you have a problem with the fact he was Commander in Chief screwing around his wife, while members of the military are disciplined or even dismissed from the service for doing the same thing?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
With Alicia Machado, Trump found his first pageant media circus. Many, many others followed.
By Caitlin Gibson

It’s fair to say that beauty pageants had lost a lot of their buzz by the time Donald Trump got into the business. But the mogul had no trouble making headlines when — just months after his 1996 purchase of the Miss Universe organization — he publicly fretted that the reigning queen was putting on too much weight.

“This is someone who likes to eat,” he declared as he beckoned a fleet of journalists to come watch Alicia Machado work out at a gym — an event she later said she went along with only under threat of losing her crown.

The episode, which Hillary Clinton cited to scathing effect in Monday night’s debate, marked the first of many scandals, small and large, to blow up in the Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants during the 19 years Trump owned them.

Trump’s reactions varied dramatically, but he rarely hesitated to put himself at the center of the action, seeming to relish a role as a moral arbiter, issuing emphatic public statements and, sometimes, final judgments.

He sent one Miss USA to rehab in the middle of her reign. He fired a Miss Universe for missing too many events. A handful of lower-level contestants drew public scoldings from him; others received his benevolent public defense.

None of their perceived crimes or misdemeanors had ever really posed much of a threat to the reputation of these pageants, which have always thrived on a racy, va-va-voom image far apart from earnest, baton-twirling Miss America. But their sagas invariably drew ample media attention, bringing a dusty old format into the reality TV age — and offering an unusually tabloid-friendly venue for Trump to cement his tough-talking businessman image even before his reality show “The Apprentice” debuted.

“We thought she was very beautiful and very nice,” he told the New York Daily News after firing Miss Universe 2002, Russia’s Oxana Fedorova, who was said to have skipped too many appearances. “But she just wasn’t able to fulfill her duties. So we had no choice but to terminate her.” Miss Panama Justine Pasek was tapped to fill out the rest of her term, and Trump himself crowned her at a news conference.

He also fired Katie Rees, Miss Nevada 2007, who had risque photos surface soon after she was crowned. He went on TV and threatened to sue Sheena Monnin, Miss Pennsylvania 2012, after she resigned her crown and went public with claims that the Miss USA contest was fixed. He admonished Jenna Talackova, a transgender contestant in the Miss Universe Canada 2012 competition, who advocated for new contest rules that would allow trans contestants around the world to participate; Trump declared she should stop stirring up controversy and concentrate on competing: “That should be her focus.”

On one occasion, Trump managed a mini-crisis with a striking level of restraint. When Rima Fakih, the first Arab American and Muslim Miss USA, was crowned in 2010, Trump notably ignored an instant uproar from critics outraged by her ethnic heritage and proudly posed for photos with her in his office. Later, he shrugged off an outcry over photos showing Fakih pole-dancing, saying he was too busy to answer questions.

Matt Rich, a public relations executive and former consultant with the Miss Universe organization, said Trump showed great concern whenever trouble arose over the years.

“He had a bundle of other companies that he’s running, but he is a good enough administrator that he understood when it was time for him to get involved, and when it wasn’t time,” Rich said in an interview.

Which is one way to look at it. In a recent interview with CNN, Miss USA 2002 Shauntay Hinton explained that she barely knew Trump at all: “He would only come around if there was scandal involved.”

In 2006 and 2007, Trump played ringmaster in two separate media circuses that gave Miss USA perhaps its greatest visibility ever.

Tara Conner, a blond beauty queen from Kentucky who was crowned Miss USA 2006, only made it a few months into her reign before rumors and reports about her drug and alcohol use, as well as “indiscretions” with men, began to make the rounds.

She was summoned to Trump’s office, and she asked him for a second chance. But he didn’t give her an answer then. With Conner — and the public — waiting in suspense, he called a news conference.

Conner, who sat beside the lectern with her head bowed, said she was certain she was about to be publicly fired. But Trump had a different plan.

“I’ve always been a believer in second chances,” he announced. “Tara has tried hard. Tara is going to be given a second chance.”

Conner wept. She agreed to go to rehab. She thanked him for his compassion. And the spectacle, of course, made headlines. “I think the public liked it,” Trump later told Oprah Winfrey.

He showcased his capacity for forgiveness again the following year, when Miss California 2007 Carrie Prejean sparked a firestorm during the Q&A portion of the Miss USA competition by declaring that she was opposed to same-sex marriage. Soon after those remarks went viral, suggestive photos — showing Prejean posed topless, her arms over her chest — started to circulate.

Another news conference was called. Trump commended Prejean for her honesty and declared that the photos were perfectly fine. “We’re very proud of her,” he said, according to the New York Times. (Even after Prejean was abruptly fired by state pageant officials for “breach of contract” issues weeks later, Trump still had kind words: “Carrie is a beautiful young woman and I wish her well as she pursues her other interests,” he said in a statement.)

Rich says Trump’s involvement in the competitions came from a genuine investment in the contestants. “He cared about these women, about these people, and their potential,” he said.

Trump certainly cared about the way the pageant’s various dramas played out before the cameras, beginning with Machado, the first Miss Universe crowned after Trump took over the pageant in 1996. Her weight gain was in violation of her contract, Rich says, and she would have been fired if Trump hadn’t given her the chance to lose the extra pounds. So he told her to hit the gym — and invited a flock of reporters to watch. (In various interviews, Trump claimed she had gained as many as 50 pounds; Machado said she had only added about 19 pounds to a frame that was “skeletal” at her crowning.)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »
5 weeks before the election, at 3am, the repub nominee told America to go look for a disgusting sex tape about an American citizen.

This is one for the record books.  Will never top this. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2016, 08:00:21 PM »
5 weeks before the election, at 3am, the repub nominee told America to go look for a disgusting sex tape about an American citizen.

This is one for the record books.  Will never top this. 

And he's still within the margin of error and leading in some swing states.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2016, 01:22:36 AM »
Coach,

Do u believe trump has dropped in polls since the debate, or he's still kicking butt with no ill effect from the debates, as trump claims ?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2016, 09:02:45 AM »
No way he hasn't hurt himself.

9/15 - Fox News Poll Trump +1

9/30 - Fox News Poll Clinton +5

It has to be taking a toll on his favorability and overall numbers.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2016, 10:34:14 AM »
Anyone care to place a wager on the outcome of this election?  8)

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »
Trump was being Trump back in August and he was way down in the polls.  Kellyanne Conway became his campaign manager, got him to read off the teleprompter, and his polls went up.  "Maybe smart people can keep him under control."  Then Trump started acting himself again, and he crashed.

Clinton will win with over 350 EVs

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
Anyone care to place a wager on the outcome of this election?  8)

Not a bit.

The US populace seems far too fickle for any gambling.

Trump was being Trump back in August and he was way down in the polls.  Kellyanne Conway became his campaign manager, got him to read off the teleprompter, and his polls went up.  "Maybe smart people can keep him under control."  Then Trump started acting himself again, and he crashed.

Clinton will win with over 350 EVs

You're saying bigger than Obama 2012?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »
You're saying bigger than Obama 2012?

I think at the moment she has 323.

Compared to 2012, she's added North Carolina, but is behind in Iowa and Ohio.  I think those two may swing back to her. That's 347.  So my math was off.  Less likely she could pick up Arizona and one of Nebraska's congressional district (they, like Maine, distribute their EVs differently).  But if Trump continues to crash and burn, Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia and Indiana are in play.  Really crash and burn, then Missouri and Texas are in play.  And if there is anyone that would vote religious conviction over party ID, then Utah would not go for Trump.

My official prediction is same states as Obama'12 plus North Carolina.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
I think at the moment she has 323.

Compared to 2012, she's added North Carolina, but is behind in Iowa and Ohio.  I think those two may swing back to her. That's 347.  So my math was off.  Less likely she could pick up Arizona and one of Nebraska's congressional district (they, like Maine, distribute their EVs differently).  But if Trump continues to crash and burn, Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia and Indiana are in play.  Really crash and burn, then Missouri and Texas are in play.  And if there is anyone that would vote religious conviction over party ID, then Utah would not go for Trump.

My official prediction is same states as Obama'12 plus North Carolina.

Lol

Wanna put a monetary wager on this?
a

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
Lol

Wanna put a monetary wager on this?

lol you would put $ on trump? 

it's illegal to bet on the election in the US of course.  But Trump would be a scary bet - he's the boxer than just keeps doing bonehead stunts, staying up all night.... really trying to destroy his chances.

He wants to be elected president in 5 weeks... and he's up at 3 am telling people to check out the sex tape of an american citizen.   He's either lost his mind, OR he's tanking the election.   I mean, go check out the disgusting sex tape... unreal.... doesn't seem to be it'd be a safe bet with a man that reckless.

Trump is gonna start plummeting in the polls.  Then he won't WANT to be at the debate.  AT the debate, he'll be the only person in the room who WANTS to talk about bill affairs.  Moderators don't.  Hilary doesn't  Republicans don't.  His staff sure doesn't.  Just trump wanting to burn bridges and shit on everything.  No issues, just shit talking about affairs 2 decades ago.

He's trash.  He's complete trash.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »
He's trash.  He's complete trash.

And still he's a million times better than that POS crook Hillary Clinton!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
What is funny about Clinton disgracing the office?  

Also, do you have a problem with the fact he was Commander in Chief screwing around his wife, while members of the military are disciplined or even dismissed from the service for doing the same thing?

I do not have a problem with the Commander in Chief committing adultery, because I am not his spouse. As for Article 134 in the military code. It is an archaic law. "You may be surprised to learn that adultery is not listed as an offense in the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). The UCMJ is a federal law, enacted by Congress, to govern legal discipline and court martials for members of the armed forces. Articles 77 through 134 of the UCMJ encompasses the "punitive offenses" (these are crimes one can be prosecuted for). None of those articles specifically mentions adultery." https://www.thebalance.com/adultery-in-the-military-3354158

"In fact, court martial on adultery charges alone are almost unheard of....." http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2003/12/what_happens_to_cheating_soldiers.html

"The impeachment of Bill Clinton, the 42nd President of the United States, was initiated by the House of Representatives on two charges, one of perjury and one of obstruction of justice, on December 19, 1998. The charges stemmed from his extramarital affair with former White House Intern Monica Lewinsky and his testimony about the affair during a sexual harassment lawsuit filed against him by Paula Jones. He was subsequently acquitted of these charges by the Senate on February 11, 1999. Two other impeachment articles – a second perjury charge and a charge of abuse of power – failed in the House." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Bill_Clinton

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »
And he's still within the margin of error and leading in some swing states.

-Not leading in very many "swing states" lately.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
-Not leading in very many "swing states" lately.

Polls come Monday - one week after debate - will start to really suck for trump. 

By Thursday (10 days after), the new taking point on getbig will once again be "polls don't matter and they're all lies anyway!"

Trump could have Skipped the debate, done nothing but read from a TelePrompTer, and he'd be leading strong.  His mouth and irrational late night tweets.  I could seriously see him invading some nation on a whim in the middle of  the night.  Doesn't care about how lives are affected by his actions and words. 

America hates Hillary n but they know what to expect.  Can anyone here truly say they junk they know what trump will do?