Author Topic: Shawn Ray 1987 NPC Nationals  (Read 7254 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Shawn Ray 1987 NPC Nationals
« on: August 23, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
I don't care if Lincoln got shot

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Shawn Ray 1987 NPC Nationals
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »

21 YRS OLD INCREDIBLE,POLISHED HEAD TO TOE,,NOT A DRY PANTY IN THE HOUSE THAT NIGHT 'MEN INCLUDED'LOL,,,

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »
If I recall correctly he won at 196 lbs but that's the rub on him he never really improved from his amateur days , besides conditioning. He did compete as high as 215 lbs but his trademark conditioning suffered for it. his best weight as 205 lbs and only 9 lbs in 14 years of competitive bodybuilding? He had an excellent physique and did very well for himself despite it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »
If I recall correctly he won at 196 lbs but that's the rub on him he never really improved from his amateur days , besides conditioning. He did compete as high as 215 lbs but his trademark conditioning suffered for it. his best weight as 205 lbs and only 9 lbs in 14 years of competitive bodybuilding? He had an excellent physique and did very well for himself despite it.
YEP...

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »
At least at this pro-qualification show he was beyond the competition.....

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 12:05:19 PM »
At least at this pro-qualification show he was beyond the competition.....
DUTCH,,,what was amazing was look at the lists of the classes even the lighter classes,,you will see so many future or almost right there pro's in thoses classes its absurd..

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:05:45 PM »
 :)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
When your close to perfection for your structure, there's not much to improve on. Getting bigger didn't help him. He was damn near perfect at 205.  Not much more he could do.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »
When your close to perfection for your structure, there's not much to improve on. Getting bigger didn't help him. He was damn near perfect at 205.  Not much more he could do.
x2

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »

You're right in that sense however it's called bodybuilding and muscle mass is a major factor. Shawn shouldn't have bitched the sport was all about size when in fact it wasn't and the fact he constantly beat many guys who outweighed him by 60+ pounds. You NEVER heard Lee Labrada use his height & weight as an excuse.

ikke

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »
OP, thanks.

8)

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
Oh the irony of the watermark reading Evolution of Bodybuilding when the video shows that bodybuilding hasn't evolved a single bit in a positive direction.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 12:48:22 PM »
You're right in that sense however it's called bodybuilding and muscle mass is a major factor. Shawn shouldn't have bitched the sport was all about size when in fact it wasn't and the fact he constantly beat many guys who outweighed him by 60+ pounds. You NEVER heard Lee Labrada use his height & weight as an excuse.

I hear you but at the time there was a paradigm shift towards mass because of Dorian. Shawn was only really whining about Dorian and Nasser. Everyone else he was above already. He had every right to complaint against Dorian because no Mr. Olympia had ever won the mr. Olympia with only one arm or a wide waist or a gut. It was new. His complaints were valid. That's not to say Shawn should have been a winner.  Also remember Dorian didn't have a small waist, the tie ins  and things more proportioned and separated bodybuilders had. He was new and unlike the others. They allowed his insane back to overshadow his flaws. Mistake in my opinion. Same with Ronnie.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »
Saw that same routine LIVE at the 94 O....simply amazing

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »
I hear you but at the time there was a paradigm shift towards mass because of Dorian. Shawn was only really whining about Dorian and Nasser. Everyone else he was above already. He had every right to complaint against Dorian because no Mr. Olympia had ever won the mr. Olympia with only one arm or a wide waist or a gut. It was new. His complaints were valid. That's not to say Shawn should have been a winner.  Also remember Dorian didn't have a small waist, the tie ins  and things more proportioned and separated bodybuilders had. He was new and unlike the others. They allowed his insane back to overshadow his flaws. Mistake in my opinion. Same with Ronnie.

Ray talked shit about beatin Haney leading up to the 1991 Olympia. And then he got TotaLEE crushed by Haney.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »

True. Maintaining what he had was key, along with furthering his conditioning, of which I believe he successfully did. He was one of the best and competed in a era where there were so many greats.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »

Labrada was clearly a corporate guy who didn't want to rock the boat. Does that make him have more integrity than Shawn? Perhaps. I do respect Shawn for speaking out. That IS (at least historically speaking) how change occurs. Shake the establishment and go against the tired status quo.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
ray posed to perfection esp for his build
possessed full muscle bellies which helped him look bigger than he was
great shape chest/delts/arms
waist line throughout career was top notch.serratus/intercosals

drawbacks
small in height in weight compared to mass guys of that era
legs were at times too big compared to his upperbody and they were chunky looking with too much tear drop and separation that at times was not deep.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
1987.  After I saw this contest, I was inspired and got much more serious in the gym.  Gained 25 lbs that year... all natty.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 01:30:12 PM »
One of the best ever...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 01:30:31 PM »
Ray talked shit about beatin Haney leading up to the 1991 Olympia. And then he got TotaLEE crushed by Haney.

Oh Yeah he did , Said that he would beat Lee when Lee was going for his record 8th win and by stopping him from doing so would cement him as the greatest of all time lol

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »
No version of Shawn could be Lee Haney's best.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
Labrada was clearly a corporate guy who didn't want to rock the boat. Does that make him have more integrity than Shawn? Perhaps. I do respect Shawn for speaking out. That IS (at least historically speaking) how change occurs. Shake the establishment and go against the tired status quo.

What the fuck does that even mean? Lee was no more a corporate guy than Shawn was. even after Lee retired he NEVER once bitched and complained about his placings and his height or weight being a negative attribute

Shawn was playing a game of genetic elites and when you're splitting hairs with other guys things come into factor like height , like clavicle width , etc , Shawn was full of shit that the judges only choose mass for the sake of mass because he routinely beat guys who were much heavier as did Labrada , Shawn was an excellent bodybuilder but he was never going to beat Haney , Dorian , or Ronnie

8 INCH not biceps

• Getbig IV
  • On the road to weighing 300 pounds
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 02:04:02 PM »

If this beautiful posing doesn't let you get up and go to the back seat in audience and start rubbing your penis nothing else will.