Author Topic: Are You In The Basket Of Deplorables?  (Read 1480 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Are You In The Basket Of Deplorables?
« on: September 13, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
Saw this written by Dr. Carson:

In a very telling moment, Hillary Clinton maligned me and millions of other Americans as racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and Islamophobic "deplorables."

I'm so tired of this line of attack that normally taunts conservatives. Well let me be very specific in my response. I believe in expanding opportunity, not welfare; that's not racist.

I believe every life is worth protecting, particularly the unborn; that doesn't make me sexist.

I believe marriage is between one man and one woman; that's not homophobic.

I believe in borders, the rule of law and our sovereign right to decide who to let into our country; that's not xenophobic.

I believe radical Islam is a mortal threat to America and Western civilization; that is common sense, not Islamophobia.

My nationwide ‘Fight for the Court’ project is about explaining and protecting our Constitutional values. As you can see, they're under constant assault, and if we allow the Left to institutionalize their vision of a European-style, government-dominated, secular society through our courts, we are going to lose our country for a generation.

If you're tired of being vilified for believing in the Constitutional, Judeo-Christian values that made America great, please help me send a message by signing up to join me now.

We must use moments like this as opportunities because this is not just name-calling. The Left is using every tool at their disposal to whitewash our history and undercut our institutions.

The difference is that I believe in our nation as it was founded. I believe in "We the People," but it requires us to constantly reach out, inform, and mobilize conservatives.

There are a lot of challenges before us and a lot of problems to solve. I've decided to concentrate on a few. ‘Fight for the Court’ is about protecting our Constitutional values.

Elections every few years are our opportunity to correct course if necessary, but the Supreme Court can be lost for a generation or more.

I ask you to join me by signing up and helping us to continue this fight.

Thank you for your commitment.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Are You In The Basket Of Deplorables?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 12:30:03 PM »
yes. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
Saw this written by Dr. Carson:

LOL, already.

Although now that Ben Carson is off the meds, he's smart and quick again.  What a space cadet during the book sale "campaign".

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »
Probably, but not per Carson's pious description.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »
Probably, but not per Carson's pious description.

Pious?  Nearly all of what he said has nothing to do with religion. 

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
Pious?  Nearly all of what he said has nothing to do with religion. 

"Judeo-Christian values". Moreover, he mentions "secular society" as something to fight against.

I'd also suggest that his pro-life and marriage positions seem to have particular religious influence.

It's ok, he can believe in these and other things all he wants as long as he doesn't impose them on others.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
"Judeo-Christian values". Moreover, he mentions "secular society" as something to fight against.

I'd also suggest that his pro-life and marriage positions seem to have particular religious influence.

It's ok, he can believe in these and other things all he wants as long as he doesn't impose them on others.

He mentioned being pro life, supporting traditional marriage, protecting our borders, fighting Radical Islam, and protecting Constitutional values.  Those aren't pious positions.  He had one line that mentioned Judeo-Christian values. 

Nothing wrong with him or anyone else using their faith as a basis for their belief on social/political issues, but that's not what he said.  With the exception of traditional marriage, these are issues that most Americans support, and views on traditional marriage only recently changed across the country. 

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 01:41:16 PM »
He mentioned being pro life, supporting traditional marriage, protecting our borders, fighting Radical Islam, and protecting Constitutional values.  Those aren't pious positions.  He had one line that mentioned Judeo-Christian values. 

Nothing wrong with him or anyone else using their faith as a basis for their belief on social/political issues, but that's not what he said.  With the exception of traditional marriage, these are issues that most Americans support, and views on traditional marriage only recently changed across the country. 

Protecting the borders is a reasonable position. Fighting radical islam is also very reasonable (though for some it could also be construed as having a religious overtone). The others are to a certain extent pious, religious positions. He can believe in these and other things all he wants, the problem is if he, or anyone else will use their power to impose religiously inspired laws or policies to others.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 01:57:12 PM »
Protecting the borders is a reasonable position. Fighting radical islam is also very reasonable (though for some it could also be construed as having a religious overtone). The others are to a certain extent pious, religious positions. He can believe in these and other things all he wants, the problem is if he, or anyone else will use their power to impose religiously inspired laws or policies to others.

I disagree.  There are a lot of "religious" people who are pro life, support traditional marriage, and want to protect Constitutional values.  That doesn't automatically make those issues "religious" or pious at all.  There are pretty clear, non-religious reasons for supporting all of those positions. 

That said, there is nothing unconstitutional, illegal, or inherently wrong about anyone advocating for religiously inspired laws or policies.  If you or anyone disagrees with their positions, lobby and vote for something else.  That's how our democracy works.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 02:22:06 PM »
I disagree.  There are a lot of "religious" people who are pro life, support traditional marriage, and want to protect Constitutional values.  That doesn't automatically make those issues "religious" or pious at all.  There are pretty clear, non-religious reasons for supporting all of those positions. 

That said, there is nothing unconstitutional, illegal, or inherently wrong about anyone advocating for religiously inspired laws or policies.  If you or anyone disagrees with their positions, lobby and vote for something else.  That's how our democracy works.

Some people can support a marriage or abortion issue without religious influence. This might not be the case with Carson, though he is free to feel this way. There is a limit to where religiously inspired laws and policies can go; fortunately.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 03:57:52 PM »
Some people can support a marriage or abortion issue without religious influence. This might not be the case with Carson, though he is free to feel this way. There is a limit to where religiously inspired laws and policies can go; fortunately.

What difference does it make if a law is "religiously inspired"?  I could care less one way or the other.  I care about whether it's a good piece of legislation. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »
The NYT condemning the delorables comments?   :o

What’s ‘Deplorable’ About Presidential Campaigns
By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
SEPT. 13, 2016

It’s hard to believe now, but there was a time in American politics, not so long ago, when a presidential candidate might hold only a few fund-raisers, when a serving president — Ronald Reagan, for example — might refuse to appear at any fund-raisers at all for his own re-election campaign. That was back before wily political operatives, and then the Supreme Court, opened the floodgates to cash, and candidates began holding fund-raisers by the score.

And as candidates spent more and more time cocooned with their wealthiest supporters, who were often also among their most ideological supporters, they made themselves vulnerable to a particular kind of influence. Not just the kind journalists are ever on the watch for — the classic quid pro quo — but a more subtle form, a cultural form that tends to be heard and not seen.

We heard it in 1995, when, running for re-election, President Bill Clinton delighted donors in Houston by saying: “Probably there are people in this room still mad at me at that budget because you think I raised your taxes too much. It might surprise you to know that I think I raised them too much, too.” Congressional Democrats who put their careers on the line to pass that tax increase were furious.

We heard it again in 2008, when Barack Obama told donors in San Francisco that people struggling in Pennsylvania towns “cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them.”

We heard it when Mitt Romney told donors in Florida that “there are 47 percent of the people” who “are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims … my job is not to worry about those people.”

And we heard it again last week, when Hillary Clinton, speaking at a fund-raiser on Wall Street, deposited “half of Trump’s supporters” into what she rather bizarrely called “the basket of deplorables.” The donors — the adorables? — had a good chuckle.

Mrs. Clinton went on to point out that there are other Trump supporters “we have to understand and empathize with,” people who are “just desperate for change.” And she later expressed regret for her remarks. But real damage had been done. In wooing one group of voters — in reading some members of her elite audience, and reflecting their feelings back to them, and perhaps revealing her own — she had written off another one as “irredeemable.” This is what happens when candidates spend so much time in what F. Scott Fitzgerald called “the consoling proximity of millionaires.”

Mr. Trump, a self-declared billionaire, has also been holding fund-raisers, despite saying in the primaries he would fund his own campaign. He is not letting the press listen in. Although one might wonder what Mr. Trump is telling people who have paid up to $250,000 to hear him, it is almost too painful to think about, given how offensive he is in public.

Our campaigns have become so dependent on the wealthy that we are at risk of forgetting that there is any other way to do politics — and our candidates are at risk of forgetting whom they are running to represent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/opinion/whats-deplorable-about-presidential-campaigns.html?_r=0

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »
Our campaigns have become so dependent on the wealthy that we are at risk of forgetting that there is any other way to do politics — and our candidates are at risk of forgetting whom they are running to represent.

Lol, uh yeah.  Great observation, many years late.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
I am in the basket.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »
a

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 06:41:38 PM »
Tony is in the basket.   :D

Well I don't like trump but...

I don't care about LBGT rights...per Hillary homophobic
I am anti illegal immigration...per Hillary racist
I think we should solve a lot of the problems here at home before taking on others problems...per Hillary xenophobic