Author Topic: Poke - my latest food addiction  (Read 4962 times)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Q

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Re: POKE!
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
I don't get the fascination with raw fish. It really doesn't taste better than cooked. Plus there is a higher risk of parasites.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »
I don't get the fascination with raw fish. It really doesn't taste better than cooked. Plus there is a higher risk of parasites.
Taste is subjective. To me, salmon sashimi tastes better than cooked salmon, but tuna sashimi tastes like ass compared to cooked tuna.

8 INCH not biceps

• Getbig IV
  • On the road to weighing 300 pounds
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »

Go to a sushi resturant and you will change your mind nothing is better for a bodybuilder trying to put on mass than a big plate of sushi.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »

Kwon, you should consider leaving your parents' basement and trying a poke bowl!

Kwon actually had a job once for a few days. Remember "team hard work" where he was posing with a hammer?

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Poke - my latest food addiction
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 04:54:37 AM »
The intestinal parasites some of you must have from eating this shit...  Yikes.

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2016, 05:01:29 AM »
WTF IS POKE ? ? ? >:(

It's basically food for fagg0ts like Al Doggity.
Ψ

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:29 AM »
The intestinal parasites some of you must have from eating this shit...  Yikes.

Nah.  In america any raw fish consumed as poke, sushi etc... has to be deep frozen to kill certain types of bacteria.  So there really isn't anywhere going from boat to table.  All of the fish must be flash frozen.  It doesn't affect the texture and the fish is not as "melt in your mouth" as it would being truly fresh.

To princess L.  Those poser NY restaurants cutting up tuna in chunks and mixing all sorts of shit is not Poke.  Poke needs that Hawaiin chili and seaweed.  With it it's just poser shit.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »
^^
GLORIFIED SUSHI, without the benefit of the tasty rice...

In  NYC, the most popular places serve on a bed of rice.

To princess L.  Those poser NY restaurants cutting up tuna in chunks and mixing all sorts of shit is not Poke.  Poke needs that Hawaiin chili and seaweed.  With it it's just poser shit.

Surprised it took two whole pages for the poke purists to come out.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »

In  NYC, the most popular places serve on a bed of rice.

Surprised it took two whole pages for the poke purists to come out.

Nah, I was on page one saying the same

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »
Nah.  In america any raw fish consumed as poke, sushi etc... has to be deep frozen to kill certain types of bacteria.  So there really isn't anywhere going from boat to table.  All of the fish must be flash frozen.  It doesn't affect the texture and the fish is not as "melt in your mouth" as it would being truly fresh.

So, is the F & W article relatively accurate but just an inaccurate photo?

From Food & Wine

The raw tuna salad known as poke certainly isn't a new creation, but lately we've been seeing versions of it everywhere—even stuffed into a burrito. One of our favorite new versions is on the menu at Noreetuh, a new Hawaiian restaurant in New York's East Village run by three Per Se alums, Chung Chow, Jin Ahn and Gerald San Jose. We caught up with chef de cuisine (and Hawaii native) Chow for a primer on all things poke.

First of all, what is poke? Is it a dish with a clear origin story?
The word poke simply means “chunk” in Hawaiian. That said, in the past poke was typically any meat or seafood that is cut into small chunks and marinated. When referring to poke nowadays, it is generally seafood. It’s unclear exactly what the origin is, though many agree that chunks of marinated seafood have been consumed for a long time by locals, and if you ask anyone from Hawaii such as myself, I’ve known poke all my life and just grew up eating it.

What is the proper way to pronounce poke?
Poke is pronounced (poh-KAY) and rhymes with okay.

Is there one generally agreed-upon style, or are there regional variations?
Generally speaking, poke would refer to raw pieces of tuna cut into cubes, then marinated with soy sauce and sesame oil and mixed with onion; though the variations go far beyond this generalization. Poke doesn’t necessarily have to be tuna or even seafood, nor does it have to be raw or cubed. If can be cooked or raw, cubed or scraped, and doesn’t even have to be fish or seafood. Cubed avocado is sometimes used. If you go to a local grocery store in Hawaii, poke is a staple, and there are endless varieties including poke made using octopus, poke that is dressed with a creamy mayonnaise and poke garnished with kimchi or wasabi, resulting from the strong influences of Japanese and Korean cuisines.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/7-things-you-need-know-about-poke
:

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2016, 03:40:00 PM »
Nah, I was on page one saying the same
Good work. Carry on.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
So, is the F & W article relatively accurate but just an inaccurate photo?

It's inaccurate in the way that regional-style barbecue isn't authentic if you're not from that part of the country. Or the only real pizza is the kind they made where you grew up. Or genuine cheesesteaks can only be made on your favorite side of town in philly.