Author Topic: People can leave a lecture if they are "triggered"  (Read 4336 times)

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
People can leave a lecture if they are "triggered"
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:32:41 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/oct/11/censor-lecturers-trigger-warnings-students-distressed

Social sciences of peace. Great road we're heading when students of history or (God forbid) psychology can leave a lecture because they are at unease of what is presented. This is just wrong on so many levels.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Re: People can leave a lecture if they are "triggered"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:41:45 PM »
Millennials.  Traumatized by any information or opinions that conflict with their worldview.  Worthless cowards.  Reality is scary!  Boo hoo.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:26:15 AM »
Millennials.  Traumatized by any information or opinions that conflict with their worldview.  Worthless cowards.  Reality is scary!  Boo hoo.

I blame gaming. That's right, I said it. This generation grew up with games where you get endless do-overs, limitless skins to change an entire world into exactly what you want, and where they get to pick and choose exactly what person they get to be. No wonder reality is a disappointment for them.

The Donkey Kong generation at least learned that to 'git gud' you would just have to play the same boring game thousands of times. Actually not such a bad life lesson.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 12:50:41 AM »
At the University level people generally can (and do) leave lectures. Leaving may not be the academically smart move, but it's allowed. Few places have mandatory attendance policies.

Beyond that... this "triggered" situation is getting a bit ridiculous. My University hasn't succumbed to the nonsense. Not yet anyways. It may, eventually, become inevitable, at which point I'll have to resign my position and focus solely on blasting my quads.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:28:41 AM »
 I'm reminded of that video clip of college kids bursting into tears over pro-Trump chalkwriting - chalkwriting - on their campus's sidewalk. Beyond pathetic.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 06:01:48 AM »
such special snowflakes. 
X

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 06:21:33 AM »
This is the beginning of the end of the University system. With the combination of overpriced tuitions, on line learning, and the infantile PC culture, college is not a good investment for anything other than engineering and hard sciences that require hands on experience.

About 80% of the University infrastructure is obsolete.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 06:56:57 AM »

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 07:06:38 AM »
such special snowflakes.  

All snowflakes eventually melt.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 07:11:10 AM »
Universities have become Marxist institutions and indoctrination centres. It happened in the UK, its happening in the US.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 07:16:36 AM »
Universities have become Marxist institutions and indoctrination centres. It happened in the UK, its happening in the US.

This is just one of the reasons I'm thrilled I don't have kids.  Even grade schools have become a total propaganda brainwash.  If you are a parent reading this, home school your kids if possible.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 07:20:32 AM »

They're in collective state of denial, blaming corporations and the Tea Party for intolerance on campus. It's not corporations that feed Professors, it's the guaranteed student loans, and the Tea Party doesn't even exist on College campuses.

They can't handle that their Leftist culture has created the environment where opposing views aren't allowed.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »
At the University level people generally can (and do) leave lectures. Leaving may not be the academically smart move, but it's allowed. Few places have mandatory attendance policies.

Beyond that... this "triggered" situation is getting a bit ridiculous. My University hasn't succumbed to the nonsense. Not yet anyways. It may, eventually, become inevitable, at which point I'll have to resign my position and focus solely on blasting my quads.

I'd like to see pics of those quads stud!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »
Cultural Marxism keeps a certain tribe at the top of the pyramid...When no one is allowed to talk about anyone, the one's at top can't be touched or talked about...It's a brilliant way to keep elite bloodlines in power for as long s people buy into that bullshit...Leaving a lecture has zero to do with the students and everything to do with protecting the Global elite...

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »
White people...

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 11:09:38 AM »
White people...

against sensitive dindus who require trigger warnings.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:18:41 AM »
The sense of entitlement is palpable.

bushwaiter

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
I had a university calculus teacher, Dr. Sato, he used to come into class sometimes and hide behind the garbage can pretending he was at war and make machine gun noises.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 12:11:10 PM »
less "triggering" and more of a good dose of HTFU   >:(
X

milone79

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 12:41:55 PM »

generation nothingness... fuck them all!!!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »

bum-chicka-wow-wow

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »

I blame gaming. That's right, I said it. This generation grew up with games where you get endless do-overs, limitless skins to change an entire world into exactly what you want, and where they get to pick and choose exactly what person they get to be. No wonder reality is a disappointment for them.

The Donkey Kong generation at least learned that to 'git gud' you would just have to play the same boring game thousands of times. Actually not such a bad life lesson.
Brilliant insight, you may be on to something.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 04:46:34 PM »
I had a university calculus teacher, Dr. Sato, he used to come into class sometimes and hide behind the garbage can pretending he was at war and make machine gun noises.

One of my Statistics instructors - a short, Asian man, was talking about probability, using flipping coins as an example. He would joke "We flip. We get head. Everybody like getting head. Maybe get head twice in a row? That's good." Most everyone laughed... those were the days.

Now some she-beest would start yelling and squirting all over the classroom.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 04:54:30 PM »
Makes me wanna go back to school wearing right wing t shirts with trump, guns, anti muslim slogans etc just to troll them. Imagine their horror in finding a fellow 20 something supports such horrible things  ;D

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »
 :)
X