Author Topic: Classic Physique - A New World for Bodybuilders  (Read 25549 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: WITHIN THE NEW WORLD OF CLASSIC PHYSIQUE!
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »
SCOTT, That is most likely why Classic Physique is being NPC/IFBB sanctioned. And I don't foresee any changes within the judging of bodybuilding events.

I doubt I would ever waste my money or time attending a contest now.   You and I both know what it was like many, many years ago.  Family and friends and if there were schmoes in the audience they kept it to themselves instead of like now where they wear their anus on their sleeves...

Hopefully I am wrong and physical culture makes a real comeback.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Classic Physique - A New World for Bodybuilders
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 10:45:25 AM »
SCOTT, Yes I do also know what bodybuilding contests were like in the past, but my experience goes beyond the 'past' when these contests were held under basketball nets on which a lightbulb was hung.

And that contest was most likely only commendced after the Olympic or Powerlifters received their trophies and cleaned up the weights and placed them back in their proper locations. (And cleaned up all the chalk from the floor).

Most bodybuilding events back then were held in conjunction with some lifting event and only started when all parts of that lifting event were completed.

That literally meant that some bodybuilding events would start after the midnight hour and the sun would be coming up over the horizon once it was over.

So I have seen many changes for the better that most likely were not too evident when you were involved or participated.

So ... seeing all these  "improvements" from my perspective since the good old days makes me think that today's bodybuilding events ain't so bad after all!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Not a problem in the least but ..... I see that somebody changed the title to this topic for reasons beyond my comprehension.

???   ;D

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 01:17:50 PM »
This weekend (Oct 21-23, 2016) the 2016 NPC Dayana Cadeau Classic will be held in Miami, Florida.

This event includes .... Bodybuilding, Classic Physique, Figure, Bikini, Men's & Women's Physique.

I have no idea who will be competing other than Chris Bumstead and his sister(?).

Chris recently won his IFBB Pro Card as the BODYBUILDING heavy-weight winner in Canada's North America Championships at a weigh-in bodyweight of 224 at the age of 21, but has decided to compete this weekend as an IFBB Classic Physique competitor.

I believe that Chris will win this Classic contest and possibly set a new trend tor competitors  who receive an IFBB Pro Bodybuilding Card but are not yet massive enough to compete as an IFBB Bodybuilding Pro against the 'bigger guys' who have had enough time in grade and have gained  additional muscle mass in order to stand out among the bodybuilding pros.

Just one more good reason for the existence of this new Classic Physique category  .... a Pro event to enter while you're still 'growing'.

Good luck to Chris and his sister this weekend ....

Chris and Danny Hester have completely different classic physiques so it would be interesting to see the judges' decision if they were to both compete against once another, but no word as of yet if Danny will be on that stage.

nerdoldnerdith

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »
They need to ditch the weight classes entirely. Most of the best "classical" physiques from the 70's and 80's would have been too heavy to compete in this division. I want to see crazy lines and vacuums and tapers, not just shriveled up pathetic looking modern bodybuilders. Arnold in 1974 weighed 250 lbs and was probably the most aesthetic thing to ever step on a bodybuilding stage, but that's 30 lbs overweight for the new division.

They need to judge it based on how they would have judged it in the 70's. It wasn't just about muscularity and conditioning, and the judges back then were perfectly competent in not automatically giving the most shredded or the biggest guy the win like they do today. Instead of limiting the size of the guys that the judges are allowed to see, they would just get judges that don't blow their load whenever they see a big juicy gut monster. It shouldn't be that hard.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »
NERDOLD, I don't have much time to respond  to your recent post but I gotta say the following ....

The Classic Physique Ht/Wt 'requirements' could possibly be temporary  until the officials realize that 'It just ain't working the way we thought it would!"Or is could remain the same because it's working just fine.

Plus you have to realize that it's possible to promote a two division Classic Physique event when there are a limited number of contenders.

A change for improvement is always a possibility, but it could be a change that GetBiggers just don't like which is not a remote possibility.

It's probably even possible to hold a Classic event with no ht/wt 'restrictions' due to the limited number of contenders but I have not heard anything official about that as of yet.

I don't foresee 17 Classic divisions in any contest outside of a national championship event, but one or two classic divisions may be pretty damn common in local events.

I'm sure that all of this is being or will be considered as time progresses.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
2016 IFBB Dayana Cadeau Classic Physique results (Oct 22, Florida)

1st ...  DaRREM CHARLES ........  CONGRATS. DARREM!

2nd ... Terrence Ruffin

3rd ...  Chris Bumstead

4th ...  Kevin Wison

The attached photos were not taken at the subject event but copied from various internet sites ....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »
For those GetBiggers who may be interested in following the growth of NPC and IFBB Classic Physique it may be interesting to note that there were only 4 Classic competitors in this 2016 IFBB Dayana Cadeau Classic which is a big IFBB event held in Florida each year.

This is Classic's first introductory year and it is sure to expand as the interest in Classic Physique is somewhat extraordinary.

It will be interesting to see the number of professional bodybuilders who decide to switch over to Classic competition this forthcoming year.

And I am somewhat surprised that Chris Bumstead did not place higher in this contest  (his first time competing as a bodybuilding pro in a Classic contest) as he does seem to have the potential to do exceptionally well  within a pro  classic as well as a pro bodybuilding event.

But if this 3rd place trophy encourages/discourages  him to compete as a bodybuilder next year, it looks like he would have to add 40 - 50 pounds to his frame to stand up there with the IFBB Big Boys.

Chris has a hell of a lot of potential within the world of lifting heavy things, so it will be interesting to see what he decides to do in 2017.

My  best guess is the 2017 Olympia Classic Physique and then, depending on how that turns out, jumping into the world of pro bodybuilding competition in 2018.

Only 21 with a hell of a lot of muscle potential in his future!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
I should also add that Chris' sister also entered the Dayana Cadeau Classic but I have yet to find the results of her contest.

The Dynamic Duo!

Any help?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »
Chris and Sis and Friend at check-in/weigh-in......

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
Chris and Sis and Friend at check-in/weigh-in......
I find it hard to believe that he got third behind Ruffin.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
MAZRIM, I find it hard to agree or disagree with your statement, but I honestly thought that Bumstead would win the overall in this contest until I realized that Darrem was also entered.

I hate to judge the outcome of any contest by the photos, but I'm gonna break that 'rule' by making some dis-honest comments once these contest photos are posted on line.

I say 'dishonest' simply due to the fact that I was not present to observe the event.

And based on those/my 'dis-honest' comments ... I'll do my best to make an honest comment or two concerning on what I think the Classic judges are looking for.

Many fans feel that Hester did not deserve his Olympia Classic win but personally I am glad that he did win it simply because I know him and hold him in high esteem.

I did not see that event nor have I seen any photos of his fellow competitors except for the one Oly Classic photo I saw of Hester so my opinion about the outcome should be taken as a grain of salt.

But the fact that he has been involved within the world of lifting heavy things for a good number of years just might have given him a slight edge (score-wise) when it came time to making that Oly Classic outcome decision.

Do you think Bumstead's 3rd out of 4 place decision will have any affect on how he intends to compete over the next couple of years.

Personally .... I think that he and his sister are a breath of fresh air in this bodybuilding world and I hope that they both do well in whatever event they decide to compete within.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 01:58:29 PM »
Once again .... the following may only be of interest to those GetBiggers who are or will be interested in  this new Classic Bodybuilding

According to the IFBB Pro website there will be a total of 29 IFBB Classic Bodybuilding events held between the months of March 2016 through November 2016.

Two of those Classic contests will be held (or have been held) in Canada and one will be (or has been held) in Puerto Rico.

The remaining 27 Classic contests will be held within the USA.

When compared to the total number of nine 212 contests ... seven of which are held within the US with one in South Korea and one more in Canada .... it's pretty damn obvious that 'Classic' will be successful beyond some GetBiggers' expectations.

The above figures may not be totally accurate and most likely have  increased since the IFBBPRO site was updated.

So ... like it or not.... Classic Physique competitions are here to stay and the number of such events will dramatically increase over the next few years.

Some GetBiggers will have to search hard for something other than bloated looking stomachs to complain about  ..... but one thing is sure!

They will find it!

And ... believe it or not but ..... that's one of the major things that makes these events so damn interesting!

NOTE: The above Classic competition event  figures may be outdated.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
I will add that the Classic competition 'uniforms' are somewhat more presentable to the general population than the present day bodybuilding competition dress-code which a few GetBiggers have objected to.

SCOTT, Could this be the start of physical culture making a real comeback?

Sorry for the blurry photo.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »
There have been a fair number of unjust  accusations against the IFBB judges who placed Bumstead as the 3rd place 'winner' in last weekend's IFBB Classc Physique event .

The vast majority of these 'accusations' were most likely made by the Chris fans who were nowhere in or near the contest site which is somewhat typical today and has been for as long as I can remember when a very young Hercules lost the neighborhood teen muscle show to Dave Palumbo's great, great, great (x32) grandfather.

More on my thoughts about why he lost this past weekend will be submitted  if there is any GetBig interest.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »
I personally love the division. .gives the tall guys a chance instead of going up against the midgets
irongearco.com

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 06:43:31 PM »
I will add that the Classic competition 'uniforms' are somewhat more presentable to the general population than the present day bodybuilding competition dress-code which a few GetBiggers have objected to.

One can hope so, my friend!

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 07:10:48 AM »

They need to go to a full cut posing trunk, instead of those short shorts. Will highlight leg development and look better.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 10:51:56 AM »
RONNIE, I sure as hell ain't no victorian prude when it comes to the present day bodybuilding dress code but the 'dress-code" of just a dozen or so years back seemed more proper and appropriate.

And as far as the present day Classic Physique dress code goes ...... it does appear to be more acceptable to the general public which I think that this new classic event is gunning for.

Bumstead entered his first pro Classic Physique contest just last weekend after a couple of years within bodybuilding competition and said that it was the first time he felt "strange with so much clothing on".

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 11:26:42 AM »
This may be something of interest to new Classic Physique competitors, fans and followers ..... Of the two classic physique contests that I am personally aware of .....  Two bodybuilding competitors have  crossed over into Classic and won the overall title.

I am not aware of the results within other classic events but .....

The IFBB Dayana Cadeau 2016 Classic Physique title was awarded to Charles Darrem  just this past weekend. Charles has been competing as a bodybuilder within the IFBB since the early 1990's and possibly even earlier.

And Danny Hester recently won the 2016 Olympia Classic Physique title  after  a good number of years competing as bodybuilder within the NPC since the early 1990's  and possibly earlier.

This could possibly be the setting of a new trend within the world of IFBB Classic Physique completion.

The only thing that I can see that could possibly be 'bad' here is that  it could possibly discourage those who lack  a past "contest history" from competing as a classic contender.

Thinking deeply .... but not too smartly due to the fact hat I am only familiar with two Classic outcomes and 'trends' require much more statistical 'inputs'.

Simple Simon

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »
This may be something of interest to new Classic Physique competitors, fans and followers ..... Of the two classic physique contests that I am personally aware of .....  Two bodybuilding competitors have  crossed over into Classic and won the overall title.

I am not aware of the results within other classic events but .....

The IFBB Dayana Cadeau 2016 Classic Physique title was awarded to Charles Darrem  just this past weekend. Charles has been competing as a bodybuilder within the IFBB since the early 1990's and possibly even earlier.

And Danny Hester recently won the 2016 Olympia Classic Physique title  after  a good number of years competing as bodybuilder within the NPC since the early 1990's  and possibly earlier.

This could possibly be the setting of a new trend within the world of IFBB Classic Physique completion.

The only thing that I can see that could possibly be 'bad' here is that  it could possibly discourage those who lack  a past "contest history" from competing as a classic contender.

Thinking deeply .... but not too smartly due to the fact hat I am only familiar with two Classic outcomes and 'trends' require much more statistical 'inputs'.
yep, judges picking the people they think should win rather than judging the physiques on the day, this already happens at the Olympia

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »
BE THERE, I didn't say what you just said, "judges picking the people they think should win etc." but it could be a possibility.

But even if a judge or judges did pick the person who he thought should win based on PAST performance, I can guarantee you that the scoresheet tabulation would not be manipulated unless each and every judge thought likewise.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 03:51:04 PM »
The following is based on Bumstead's remarks and the video that he posted on Instagram recently.

He did admit that he had to improve all around but with emphasis on his posing and transitions.

His routine (including his transitions)  looked good enough to me but if  I ever had an occasion to talk with Bumstead's coach, here are the few main things which  I would recommend  prior to his next contest ....  

Show self confidence in the initial relaxed lineup. The judges are seeing the contenders for the first time and are mentally searching for the best and the 'worst' in that group.

Improve his mandatory shots ...... The mandatories are next and are required when the competitors are lined up on stage so that the judges can compare each contender to each other contender. This is  a very brief time period  during which the judges start making up their mind and start ranking each contender on paper or within his mind.

And I would also recommend that Chris or any other NPC/IFBB competitor make arrangements to sit in as a TEST JUDGE at one or more of the local shows in an effort to gain a thorough understanding of the judging process and what is going through the judges' minds in order to make valid placement decisions.

And an understanding of all the whys, the whats, and the where-fores during any prejudging process.

Plus I would suggest that anyone sitting in as a TeST JUDGE ask to also sit in during the scoring tabulation process to understand how that process also works.

It works well enough to never be changed.

There simply ain't no better way of doing it!

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2016, 09:01:21 AM »

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
Looks like a deserved placement.