Author Topic: Why Do People Want To Be Strong Even If They Don't look Like They Lift?  (Read 4436 times)

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
I see lots of bearded men, with workboots, converse Chuck Taylors, lifting kettleballs and just doing back breaking lifts. Moaning, yelling, groaning and they look like they don't even lift.

Why would anyone want that? I mean if you take steroids and lift like that you're going to get big. These guys look like regular semi chubby guys.

Lifting heavy weights without the use of PED's will result in later in life soreness. I've seen many guys at the gym back in the 80's lifting like crazy and now that can't even walk.

I know a large percentage of guys lift to gain muscle TO LOOK GOOD AND ATTRACT WOMEN.

What Gives?

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
I agree. I lift to look good; I don't care about my "1RM" or how much weight I'm throwing around. I seem to be in the minority, but then again I am one of the better looking blokes at my gym.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
I agree. I lift to look good; I don't care about my "1RM" or how much weight I'm throwing around. I seem to be in the minority, but then again I am one of the better looking blokes at my gym.

Vanek with Detroit, what ya think?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
I see lots of bearded men, with workboots, converse Chuck Taylors, lifting kettleballs and just doing back breaking lifts. Moaning, yelling, groaning and they look like they don't even lift.

Why would anyone want that? I mean if you take steroids and lift like that you're going to get big. These guys look like regular semi chubby guys.

Lifting heavy weights without the use of PED's will result in later in life soreness. I've seen many guys at the gym back in the 80's lifting like crazy and now that can't even walk.

I know a large percentage of guys lift to gain muscle TO LOOK GOOD AND ATTRACT WOMEN.

What Gives?

this proves my point in my bitter/angry thread. people who want to be strong, just have not been brainwashed by the insidious fitness culture. i actually commend them

Simple Simon

I train purely for how I look, I have zero interest in strength.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Some people value function over the superficial. Not saying I don't like BBing cause I do, but I respect all areas of fitness enthusiasm.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Some people value function over the superficial. Not saying I don't like BBing cause I do, but I respect all areas of fitness enthusiasm.

As do I but many of these wannabe powerlifters are always shitting on bbing or anybody who takes the "superficial" more seriously. There are so many guys like Jason BLAHA who tried bbing and failed, usually due to lack of willpower, and then are suddenly "reborn" as powerlifters and constantly talk shit.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
I train purely for how I look, I have zero interest in strength.

Complete opposite here - train for strength and athletic performance.

Looking better is a side effect I tolerate.
Y

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
There is a reason a lean but muscular physique has been revered through human existence- because fat is ugly. Only during the Renaissance era was fat portrayed as desirable - and that was because starvation was common and being fat meant you had food :)

JackScribber

• Getbig III

What Gives?

Why train at all if you still look like an obese Anna Wintour?

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
Re: Why Do People Want To Be Strong Even If They Don't look Like They Lift?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

What Gives?
bcs they are deelusional fux that make zero progress so they just wanna pretend to be tough

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 11:28:29 AM »
I train for strength and to look good and healthy.

If I was training only to build muscle, the workouts would get boring. So I like to change it every few months, focusing on strength for awhile, then going lighter and doing higher volume.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »
Yes, but what does this "strength" give you? Does your job require manual labour? Are you a lumberjack? I don't know why anyone would need to bench 400 pounds on an incline.

I always said, if I can get a 20inch arm by curing 45 pounds then I will do it. 30 pounds would be better. I've gone up very heavy with powerlifting years ago and never noticed any kind of difference with muscle size. My muscles always seemed to respond with high reps....don't laugh but I was curing 50 pounds with reps of 100. Guys couldn't understand it. It worked for me.

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »
Yes, but what does this "strength" give you? Does your job require manual labour? Are you a lumberjack? I don't know why anyone would need to bench 400 pounds on an incline.

I always said, if I can get a 20inch arm by curing 45 pounds then I will do it. 30 pounds would be better. I've gone up very heavy with powerlifting years ago and never noticed any kind of difference with muscle size. My muscles always seemed to respond with high reps....don't laugh but I was curing 50 pounds with reps of 100. Guys couldn't understand it. It worked for me.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
I just train to feel good.  Adding strength and looking good are nice side effects, but I'd never want to look like a pro bb and I havw no interest in powerlifting.  I would assume most feel this way.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »
Yes, but what does this "strength" give you?

Domination over the suburban athletic circuits, Milf admiration.
Y

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »

What Gives?

Some people like to lift weights and not use drugs...mystery solved.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
Some people like to lift weights and not use drugs...mystery solved.

You're sounding snarky but it could be me. God knows whats in your heart though.

I'm not talking about lifting weights. I'm talking about lifting extremely heavy pounds for the sake of it. Like putting 400 pounds on your spine to squat. Like doing 275 pound behind the neck pulldowns, like doing 300 pound behind the neck presses, etc. etc. Just stupid lifts we're seeing more and more of.
Even for the sake of competition its pretty stupid.

Without drugs...you will suffer. Even with drugs you'll suffer in the long run. Or maybe you won't...its a crap shoot and if you're a gambler then ok. But then you'll hear the moron say "walking across the street you can get hit by a car" ....F ME.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 01:08:03 PM »
Training for strength is more enjoyable. Gives you goals to aim for and it feels great when you get stronger.
If you have decent genetics and keep your bodyfat in check, you will end up looking good regardless.

Simple Simon

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 01:27:28 PM »
If you look good then you can strike up conversations and functions and parties and you get comments, if you are fat bloated powerlifter, doesn't matter if you are in the top 3 in the world, you just end up totally ignored sitting in the corner sweating over your three paper plates of food.

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
If you look good then you can strike up conversations and functions and parties and you get comments, if you are fat bloated powerlifter, doesn't matter if you are in the top 3 in the world, you just end up totally ignored sitting in the corner sweating over your three paper plates of food.
lmaooooooo ;D ;D ;D

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
no point in trying to explain something to someone who wont understand

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »

What Gives?

totally agree, i gave up the ego training years back after my dumb ass injured my shoulder and biceps, never again ill train like that, i see these kids in my gym now training like retards,  lifting super heavy sloppy form, 

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »

this is pretty fucking acurate, whores dont care how much you lift