Author Topic: Obama Presidential Pardons - Discussions  (Read 6276 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Presidential Pardon
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
White House: Obama ‘Hopeful’ Trump Will Not Prosecute Hillary Clinton for Political Revenge
by CHARLIE SPIERING
10 Nov 2016

The White House signals it is hopeful that President-elect Donald Trump will not prosecute Hillary Clinton, citing a tradition in America of not using the justice system to enact revenge on a political opponent.

“[W]e’ve got a long tradition in this country of people in power not using the criminal justice system to exact political revenge,” spokesman Josh Earnest says. “In fact, we go to great lengths to insulate our criminal justice system from partisan politics.”

When Obama took office, many leftists wanted to see George W. Bush and Dick Cheney prosecuted for what they called “war crimes,” because of the use of enhanced interrogation techniques to question terrorists. But President Obama appeared reluctant to prosecute career law and intelligence officials in the Bush administration, citing in 2009 “a belief that we need to look forward as opposed to looking backwards.”

During a press conference, Earnest was reluctant to discuss potential pardons, insisting that it was improper to discuss them in advance. He did not rule out a potential pardon for Clinton but reminded reporters of Obama’s discussion of pardons in August.

When asked to reflect on his decision to commute the sentences of thousands of drug offenders, Obama indicated that he would not issue last-minute political pardons before leaving office. Any presidential pardons, he explained, would go through a rigorous legal process to avoid looking political.

“It’s going to be reviewed by the pardon attorney, it will be reviewed by my White House counsel, and I’m going to, as best as I can, make these decisions based on the merits, as opposed to political considerations,” Obama said during a press conference.

Earnest reasserted that Obama still felt the same way.

“I wouldn’t speculate at this point about what impact that may have on hypothetical pardon requests that he receives,” he said. “I’ll just say that the guidance that President Obama shared with you is still operative.”

But that doesn’t preclude a decision by Obama to protect Clinton from further investigations. If the president views any prosecution of Clinton as politically motivated, he might step in to minimize the damage that she faces. But a political pardon risks tainting Obama’s presidential legacy, something that Bush also avoided.

When Dick Cheney demanded a pardon for his aide Scooter Libby, Bush refused, but commuted his sentence, keeping Cheney’s aide out of jail. Libby still had to pay a $250,000 fine and serve probation for two years.

Cheney vigorously pursued the case, accusing Bush of leaving a wounded soldier on the battlefield.

“It was a hard decision to make,” Bush said in 2010 about the case. “But that’s what you do when you’re president: You make hard decisions.”

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/10/white-house-obama-hopeful-donald-trump-will-not-prosecute-hillary-clinton/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 04:39:19 PM »
Yup, that sums up the entire situation quite well.

I doubt a President Trump would pursue this with his ATT Gen.
The country wants to see some  other stuff done during his 1st 100 days.
A Hillary corruption trial would use a lot of political  capitol and bog down his agenda.

He defeated her , let's move on.
I thought you said there was nothing there.  ???

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 06:31:21 PM »
Tell that to the grieving families of the Benghazi fiasco. Tell that to the Haitian victims. Tell that too the service men sitting in jail for crimes that pale in comparison. Tell that to....fill in about a thousand other examples here.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 12:09:31 AM »
I hope Obama doesn't pardon her - it would send a terrible message. Even if you feel she's done nothing wrong (and I don't) and think Trump will use the Office to attack her, you still should be against a pardon.

Already there's a horrible double standard involving classified information: the little people get the shaft for the tiniest of infractions (long careers have been ruined) while bigwigs like David Petraeus forward crap with abandon to  their mistresses or their friends or their freaking Philippino maids and get away with, at best a slap on the wrist.

A pardon would just be tantamount to taking a heaping dump on the people who, day in and day out, procure, generate, curate or otherwise handle classified information, and do so with integrity and dedication.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
Of course the worm would creep out of his hole to urge Obama to pardon Clinton.

Jesse Jackson to Obama: Give Hillary a Pardon

"It would be a monumental moral mistake to pursue the indictment of Hillary Clinton," Jackson said, reports the Detroit Free Press.

"President Ford said we don't need [President Richard] for trophy. We need to move on. President Nixon wasn't convicted of a crime. He didn't apply for a pardon. [Ford] did it because he thought it would be best for the country.

"Hillary Clinton has not been tried, but there are those who want to drag her for the next three years. It will not stop until they find a reason to put her in jail. That would be a travesty."

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/jesse-jackson-obama-pardon-hillary/2016/11/16/id/759298/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »
I hope Obama doesn't pardon her - it would send a terrible message. Even if you feel she's done nothing wrong (and I don't) and think Trump will use the Office to attack her, you still should be against a pardon.

Already there's a horrible double standard involving classified information: the little people get the shaft for the tiniest of infractions (long careers have been ruined) while bigwigs like David Petraeus forward crap with abandon to  their mistresses or their friends or their freaking Philippino maids and get away with, at best a slap on the wrist.

A pardon would just be tantamount to taking a heaping dump on the people who, day in and day out, procure, generate, curate or otherwise handle classified information, and do so with integrity and dedication.

I agree with most of this.   Would be a horrible move.  But I suspect it very well may happen.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »
With this premise, Obama cannot pardon Hillary also. Let's see what will happen.

SPIEGEL Interview with US President Barack Obama

ARD/SPIEGEL: Are you going to pardon Edward Snowden?

Obama: I can't pardon somebody who hasn't gone before a court and presented themselves, so that's not something that I would comment on at this point. I think that Mr. Snowden raised some legitimate concerns. How he did it was something that did not follow the procedures and practices of our intelligence community. If everybody took the approach that I make my own decisions about these issues, then it would be very hard to have an organized government or any kind of national security system.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/spiegel-interview-with-us-president-barack-obama-a-1122008.html

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 04:45:51 PM »
With this premise, Obama cannot pardon Hillary also. Let's see what will happen.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/spiegel-interview-with-us-president-barack-obama-a-1122008.html

I thought the Clinton's and Obama's hated each other?

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 03:00:16 AM »
I thought the Clinton's and Obama's hated each other?

Maybe. But what does that have to do with anything? You doubt that politicians scratch each other's backs just because they hate each other? Shit, they'll cross the aisle to do it. Got to help their own.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 07:58:10 AM »
Maybe. But what does that have to do with anything? You doubt that politicians scratch each other's backs just because they hate each other? Shit, they'll cross the aisle to do it. Got to help their own.

Bill and Hillary probably hate each other, probably have hated each other for decades.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »

Interesting.  Those comments, coupled with Trump saying he will not prosecute Clinton do make a pardon less likely. 

Trump will not pursue charges against Clinton, aide says
Published November 22, 2016 
FoxNews.com

President-elect Donald Trump will not pursue charges against Hillary Clinton relating to the Clinton foundation or the former secretary of state’s use of a private email server, former Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway said Tuesday.

In an interview with MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Conway said that while Clinton “has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don’t find her to be honest and trustworthy,” it would be a good thing if Trump can “help her heal.”

"I think when the President-elect, who's also the head of your party…tells you before he's even inaugurated  he doesn't wish to pursue these charges, it sends a very strong message, tone, and content,” she said.

The move is a significant break from Trump’s campaign rhetoric, which included a warning that if he were president he’d get his attorney general to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate her behavior. In the second presidential debate he quipped to Clinton that if he was president: “you’d be in jail.”

Cries of “lock her up” were a common feature at Trump’s campaign rallies.

Conway also indicated that there were a number of things Trump was looking at as president-elect that may differ from his campaign rhetoric.

“Look, I think he's thinking of many different things as he prepares to become the President of the United States, and things that sound like the campaign aren’t among them," she added.

Trump's decision not to pursue charges against Clinton would not prevent congressional Republicans from opening investigations and referring them to the Justice Department for charges.

Trump expanded on his decision at a meeting with reporters at the New York Times Tuesday afternoon, telling them "I think it would be very very divisive for the country" to prosecute the Clintons, although he hadn't taken it off the table entirely.

Trump says "no" when asked if he is taking investigations off the table for Clintons but adds he doesn't want to "hurt the Clintons."
— Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) November 22, 2016
"My inclination would be for whatever power I have on the matter is to say let's go forward.This has been looked at for so long, ad nauseum"
"I think it would be very very divisive for the country," Trump says about prosecuting the Clintons.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/22/trump-will-not-pursue-charges-against-clinton-aide-says.html

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
Interesting.  Those comments, coupled with Trump saying he will not prosecute Clinton do make a pardon less likely. 

Trump will not pursue charges against Clinton, aide says
Published November 22, 2016 
FoxNews.com

President-elect Donald Trump will not pursue charges against Hillary Clinton relating to the Clinton foundation or the former secretary of state’s use of a private email server, former Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway said Tuesday.

In an interview with MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Conway said that while Clinton “has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don’t find her to be honest and trustworthy,” it would be a good thing if Trump can “help her heal.”

"I think when the President-elect, who's also the head of your party…tells you before he's even inaugurated  he doesn't wish to pursue these charges, it sends a very strong message, tone, and content,” she said.

The move is a significant break from Trump’s campaign rhetoric, which included a warning that if he were president he’d get his attorney general to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate her behavior. In the second presidential debate he quipped to Clinton that if he was president: “you’d be in jail.”

Cries of “lock her up” were a common feature at Trump’s campaign rallies.

Conway also indicated that there were a number of things Trump was looking at as president-elect that may differ from his campaign rhetoric.

“Look, I think he's thinking of many different things as he prepares to become the President of the United States, and things that sound like the campaign aren’t among them," she added.

Trump's decision not to pursue charges against Clinton would not prevent congressional Republicans from opening investigations and referring them to the Justice Department for charges.

Trump expanded on his decision at a meeting with reporters at the New York Times Tuesday afternoon, telling them "I think it would be very very divisive for the country" to prosecute the Clintons, although he hadn't taken it off the table entirely.

Trump says "no" when asked if he is taking investigations off the table for Clintons but adds he doesn't want to "hurt the Clintons."
"My inclination would be for whatever power I have on the matter is to say let's go forward.This has been looked at for so long, ad nauseum"
"I think it would be very very divisive for the country," Trump says about prosecuting the Clintons.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/22/trump-will-not-pursue-charges-against-clinton-aide-says.html
Extreme disappointment if he does not do anything on this matter. It's not why I voted for him but his big talk on this issue would look pretty bad.

He better pardon anyone remotely close to doing the same thing or it sends a terrible message.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 03:27:49 PM »
It is not his job as president, let alone president-elect, to go after political opponents.

That being said, he will not interfere with the DOJ, FBI, or AG if they do pursue to indict Hillary and those associated with the Clinton Foundation.

No need to celebrate, or bitch and moan, yet!
a

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 03:37:47 PM »

Agree.

So far he has not disappointed in his choices for a cabinet which was a big concern for me with Christie that turned into a big thumbs up/he really is going to try and do what he promised. Not used to Presidents doing that, lol.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
It is not his job as president, let alone president-elect, to go after political opponents.

That being said, he will not interfere with the DOJ, FBI, or AG if they do pursue to indict Hillary and those associated with the Clinton Foundation.

Trump said he should be in jail and said numerous times he would prosecute Hillary IF he won.

I knew that and things like the wall were total bull-shit to get his base ginned up.
People on either side often buy into this emotional based crap.
Every successful politician  does this and Trump is no different.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 04:55:48 PM »
Trump said he should be in jail and said numerous times he would prosecute Hillary IF he won.

I knew that and things like the wall were total bull-shit to get his base ginned up.
People on either side often buy into this emotional based crap.
Every successful politician  does this and Trump is no different.

Keep on telling us your accurate theories, oh wise one!
a

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
Keep on telling us your accurate theories, oh wise one!

I have the intellectual wisdom of Jason Genova and the handsome good looks of True Adonis.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
BAD MOVE BY OBAMA PARDONING MANNING
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 11:08:22 AM »
Don't think he should have pardoned him (her).....He (she) committed a flagrant act of espionage and handed over secret information to WikiLeaks...The sentence may have been overly harsh in the first place but I think it sets a bad precedent.....

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: BAD MOVE BY OBAMA PARDONING MANNING
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 11:31:54 AM »
Don't think he should have pardoned him (her).....He (she) committed a flagrant act of espionage and handed over secret information to WikiLeaks...The sentence may have been overly harsh in the first place but I think it sets a bad precedent.....

Overly harsh? They used to execute people for treason, seems it got off easy
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »

What's that got to do with Manning ?

He was not convicted of treason and also found not guilty of aiding the enemy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/2013/07/29/e894a75c-f897-11e2-afc1-c850c6ee5af8_story.html?utm_term=.a717cd22a3fe

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 04:20:47 PM »
What's that got to do with Manning ?

He was not convicted of treason and also found not guilty of aiding the enemy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/2013/07/29/e894a75c-f897-11e2-afc1-c850c6ee5af8_story.html?utm_term=.a717cd22a3fe

OK, they used to execute spies as well
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »

Obama didn't pardon him.  He commuted his sentence

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
OK, they used to execute spies as well

yeah, but mostly we just put them in jail

I don't think Manning even had access to top secret docs.  Just classified stuff

Petraeus on the other had gave top secret docs to his mistress and I don't recall him being executed or even spending any time in jail

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »

They should execute these "people" who choose to be freaks and weirdos.
K

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
Obama didn't pardon him.  He commuted his sentence

It was a fucking 35 year sentence and it still didn't go far enough. He gets out in May. Quit splitting hairs, it was a commute.