Author Topic: Do you agree with this sentence? (Pop culture opinion)  (Read 2155 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Do you agree with this sentence? (Pop culture opinion)
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »
Was reading an article earlier today about AMC and the writer posited this:

http://qz.com/376213/if-mad-men-had-never-happened-tv-would-look-very-different-today/

Mad Men debuted in 2007. A year later followed another iconic and critically acclaimed show, Breaking Bad. Then came the zombie hit Walking Dead, which hasn’t achieved the cultural significance of Mad Men or Breaking Bad, but has shattered ratings records.

Would you say this was an accurate assessment?

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
Re: Do you agree with this sentence? (Pop culture opinion)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
i havent seen any of that shit

i stick with the good stuff, rich piana on youtube

wordy

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:51:02 AM »

Gotta confuse the television networks, right babe?

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:57:58 AM »

I would say your mother would suck off a whole herd of walking dead for a can of beans.
Ψ

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:40:09 AM »
The walking dead zombies are already here = walkers looking at their cell phones all day.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:20:37 AM »

Same, but replace Rich Piana with Del Ray Misfits for me.

That's the only show i follow these days.

Wonder if Walking Dead, Man Men, Breaking Bad are any good though (anyone seen these shows?), but no matter how good they are they could not compete with Del Ray, so it would be a waste of time.
Q

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
Not sure about the effect of this show on TV?
But, if I fart, the room smells different.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
I used to watch the wonder years when I was a kid.  Always liked the blonde chick from the earlier episodes better than that bitch Winny who always held out and friend zoned Kevin.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
I used to watch the wonder years when I was a kid.  Always liked the blonde chick from the earlier episodes better than that bitch Winny who always held out and friend zoned Kevin.

Madeline  8)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »
Mad Men was one of my favorite television shows to follow. Never got old, or became a characture of itself like most do after a few seasons.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »

http://qz.com/376213/if-mad-men-had-never-happened-tv-would-look-very-different-today/

"Cultural significance" is a relative term.

When it comes to iconic series, I see only The Sopranos + Breaking Bad being in the same league. I've heard from many in-the-know Hollywood folks that some of the episodes in The Sopranos and Breaking Bad would've won an Oscar had the producers submitted them for review to the panel. They were THAT good. These were, and are, iconic series. ICONIC. Kind of like Miami Vice. This last series was groundbreaking in every aspect, and even today, some of the episodes are mind-blowingly good.

Mad Men + The Walking Dead are A-Team/Lost/McGyver-caliber shows.

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 08:36:56 PM »

how old are you, you pathetic wanker

pop cul·ture
noun
noun: pop culture

modern popular culture transmitted via mass media and aimed particularly at younger people.
Ψ

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »
Mad Men is a great show. The one caveat I'll mention is start from the beginning, and try and watch them in a block. The show is very serialized, and not one that you can just jump into and understand. I hated it for a few years, and then one day I was sick, and netflixed the entire first season, and it changed my whole view of it. One of my favorites, well worth the praise it receives.

Breaking Bad was good, but felt some seasons were better than others.

I think both have more resonance and significance because they were more original ideas. The Walking Dead is a very good show, but it's just a standard dystopian zombie epic whose idea goes all the way back to Romero.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »
"Cultural significance" is a relative term.

When it comes to iconic series, I see only The Sopranos + Breaking Bad being in the same league. I've heard from many in-the-know Hollywood folks that some of the episodes in The Sopranos and Breaking Bad would've won an Oscar had the producers submitted them for review to the panel. They were THAT good. These were, and are, iconic series. ICONIC. Kind of like Miami Vice. This last series was groundbreaking in every aspect, and even today, some of the episodes are mind-blowingly good.

Mad Men + The Walking Dead are A-Team/Lost/McGyver-caliber shows.

That's actually why I wanted to see what some of the Bros here thought. "Mad Men" was never a ratings juggernaut. New episodes usually didn't win the night (even in their demo), unless they were up against reruns on most other networks.  I was working at an ad agency during a big part of its original run and so many of my co-workers- especially guys- considered it a lifestyle guide/bible. I strongly disliked the show. I felt pressured to watch it, but I also felt it could go several episodes without anything interesting happening. Then there'd be one great scene that everyone would flip over. Meanwhile, with "BB", it seemed to be almost a non-entity until the final season. I watched it pretty much from the beginning, but it seemed like it really only picked up steam* right before it's last season when it was picked up by Netflix.

If you were to speak to 10 random people, do you think more would be able to tell you about a famous episode of "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad"  or "Walking Dead"?

eta* by picked up steam I mean its popularity. It seemed to go from a somewhat lowkey show to extremely popular within a that final split season.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 09:13:55 PM »
I think both have more resonance and significance because they were more original ideas. The Walking Dead is a very good show, but it's just a standard dystopian zombie epic whose idea goes all the way back to Romero.

The thing is, it's not. I will grant you that even people who consider themselves huge fans of the shows see major problems with it, but the show isn't really just about a dystopian zombie world. It's about how these people change and how they relate to each other in a massively different world. It hits plenty of cliches, but I was watching an episode a little while back and thinking they could realistically let the zombie thread die off and still have a ton of storylines to follow.

nerdoldnerdith

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »
As far as cultural significance goes, Breaking Bad >>>>>>>> The Walking Dead > Mad Men.

Mad Men was a great show, and The Walking Dead is entertaining, but Breaking Bad was a phenomenon.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
 :)  haven't seen even one episode of any of those shows  :)
X