Author Topic: Free weights only (No machines)  (Read 15066 times)

Big Flat Bench

Free weights only (No machines)
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:06:08 AM »
If you were training for a marathon you would run everyday. You wouldn't use a machine: You wouldn't drive a car 26 miles and call it training for a marathon. That would obviously be absurd. The same applies to weightlifting. If you want to get huge amd strong you wouldn't use a Hammer Strength, Nautilus, Cybex or whatever. You would use free weights.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
Re: Free weights only (No machines)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 06:13:36 AM »
because your muscles can tell the difference, they're not stupid

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:20:42 AM »
because your muscles can tell the difference, they're not stupid
Foolish response

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 06:30:06 AM »
Are you talking about weightlifting or bodybuilding?
For weightlifting, yes, free weights are obviously the way to go, because if you're going to be doing clean and jerks and snatches, you want to get good at those movements. And the only way to get good at something is to practice it.
For bodybuilding purposes, using compound movements and free weights adds a component of strength, but for size "aesthetics" machines are extremely beneficial. You can isolate muscle groups much better on a machine than with any free weight. Isolation gives more stimulus to smaller muscle groups which would not have been hit by compound free weight movements.
Your analogy of running vs driving a car for 26 miles is not only stupid but has nothing to do with anything. A better comparison would be running outdoors vs running on a treadmill. You still lift weight using a machine, just in a controlled manner, not unlike a treadmill for running. Running outside will make you better at .... running outside. Running on a treadmill will make you better at ..... running on a treadmill. So yes, if you're doing a race outdoors, then training for it outdoors is the way to go.

8 INCH not biceps

• Getbig IV
  • On the road to weighing 300 pounds
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 06:45:01 AM »
If you were training for a marathon you would run everyday. You wouldn't use a machine: You wouldn't drive a car 26 miles and call it training for a marathon. That would obviously be absurd. The same applies to weightlifting. If you want to get huge amd strong you wouldn't use a Hammer Strength, Nautilus, Cybex or whatever. You would use free weights.

For a beginning bodybuilder you are correct deadlifts, squats and bench press are a must to build a base but after you have being working out for a few years and you have a strong foundation it does not matter you can use machines and you will be swole.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 06:46:50 AM »
Thread is full of supposed experts who refuse to post an up to date pic...  ::)

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 06:52:37 AM »
smh at people giving legit advice to a gimmick account

srsly?

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 06:53:06 AM »
Are you talking about weightlifting or bodybuilding?
For weightlifting, yes, free weights are obviously the way to go, because if you're going to be doing clean and jerks and snatches, you want to get good at those movements. And the only way to get good at something is to practice it.
For bodybuilding purposes, using compound movements and free weights adds a component of strength, but for size "aesthetics" machines are extremely beneficial. You can isolate muscle groups much better on a machine than with any free weight. Isolation gives more stimulus to smaller muscle groups which would not have been hit by compound free weight movements.
Your analogy of running vs driving a car for 26 miles is not only stupid but has nothing to do with anything. A better comparison would be running outdoors vs running on a treadmill. You still lift weight using a machine, just in a controlled manner, not unlike a treadmill for running. Running outside will make you better at .... running outside. Running on a treadmill will make you better at ..... running on a treadmill. So yes, if you're doing a race outdoors, then training for it outdoors is the way to go.
I'm talking weightlifting, I'm talking powerlifting, I'm talking bodybuilding. Free weights are the way. Whenever I join a new gym and some twink in a polo shirt is trying to sell me on amenities and so-called weight machines, I say "Stop right there. Two questions and two questions only. Where's the squat racks and where's the flat bench?" Because those two pieces of equipment which make up 1% of the gym's equipment build the body that represents 1% of the gym population: huge, strong, and hard as a brick.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 06:54:06 AM »
I'm talking weightlifting, I'm talking powerlifting, I'm talking bodybuilding. Free weights are the way. Whenever I join a new gym and some twink in a polo shirt is trying to sell me on amenities and so-called weight machines, I say "Stop right there. Two questions and two questions only. Where's the squat racks and where's the flat bench?" Because those two pieces of equipment which make up 1% of the gym's equipment build the body that represents 1% of the gym population: huge, strong, and hard as a brick.

Whatever floats your boat, buddy.

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 06:54:11 AM »
smh at people giving legit advice to a gimmick account

srsly?
A. I'm giving the advice

B. YOU'RE the gimmick. A long running, 17k post gimmick. Take a hike.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 06:55:05 AM »

You must have something better to do today than this, no?

If not, re-examine your situation, and come up with a solution.

Then email that solution to ratherbebig, 8 inch not biceps, and nether animal.
Y

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 06:55:17 AM »
settledown, sugartits

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:59:58 AM »
Whatever floats your boat, buddy.
Spoken like a true smaller man.

Simple Simon

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 07:14:30 AM »
Elastic bands are all anyone needs.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 07:14:45 AM »
http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/1994/11000/A_Comparison_of_Muscle_Activity_Between_a_Free.11.aspx

This study calculated IEMG values during the ascent and descent phases of the bench press and compared the values between lifts performed with free weights versus a guided weight machine. In Phase 1 of the study the l-RM on each mode was determined for each subject. In Phase 2, EMG data were collected from five muscles of the upper extremity while each subject completed five trials at 80% of 1-RM and five trials at 60% of 1-RM for each mode. Linear envelopes were created from the EMG data of each trial, and IEMG values were calculated during the descent and ascent phases of each trial. Planned comparisons were used to compare mean IEMG values between the two loads within the same mode, and between the two modes at both the 60% and 80% loads. Results suggested greater muscle activity during the free-weight bench press, especially at the 60% 1-RM load, although there were notable differences among the patterns of individual subject.

X

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 07:20:24 AM »
http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/1994/11000/A_Comparison_of_Muscle_Activity_Between_a_Free.11.aspx

This study calculated IEMG values during the ascent and descent phases of the bench press and compared the values between lifts performed with free weights versus a guided weight machine. In Phase 1 of the study the l-RM on each mode was determined for each subject. In Phase 2, EMG data were collected from five muscles of the upper extremity while each subject completed five trials at 80% of 1-RM and five trials at 60% of 1-RM for each mode. Linear envelopes were created from the EMG data of each trial, and IEMG values were calculated during the descent and ascent phases of each trial. Planned comparisons were used to compare mean IEMG values between the two loads within the same mode, and between the two modes at both the 60% and 80% loads. Results suggested greater muscle activity during the free-weight bench press, especially at the 60% 1-RM load, although there were notable differences among the patterns of individual subject.

Thanks, but we don't need a needledick in a white lab coat telling us what we already know. What we need is more barbell squats, more flat bench presses and plenty of 'em.

Simple Simon

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 07:29:53 AM »

was that the specific muscle group only or including the assisting muscles?

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »
it all depends on the atomic makeup of your muscles

#1GymRat

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 07:46:44 AM »
you depends on being atomic retrard. no club, no gain same old stuff everry day and all lies. go pay $ for for trip to unga bunga

it all depends on the atomic makeup of your muscles

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 07:48:20 AM »
you depends on being atomic retrard. no club, no gain same old stuff everry day and all lies. go pay $ for for trip to unga bunga

kill yourself and die

#1GymRat

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 07:50:56 AM »
no! then cna not read your lies and call you for retard you are! no gains, no club, all lies same story on different day of week. you look same must be bad drugs. where is club? ha ha!

kill yourself and die

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »
Elastic bands are all anyone needs.

Bah humbug.  Modern fancy business!  All tha' needs is dynamic tension son...

T

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
Bah humbug.  Modern fancy business!  All tha' needs is dynamic tension son...

Charles Atlas hawked his Dynamic Tension course after he built himself up with tons of squats, bench presses, rows, military presses, barbell curls tricep extensions and dead lifts. Made a fortune.

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
big fag bench seems to have a solid life plan.

nerdoldnerdith

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 07:28:36 PM »
Free weights work for compound movements like bench press and squat because the downward force of gravity can always be distributed across two or more joints to maintain tension throughout the entire range of motion. Even then, tension decreased to nothing at the top of the exercise, which still isn't optimal. Ideally, one should be able to squeeze at full contraction to create the optimal workload.

Free weights don't work as well as machines and cables for single joint exercises like curls, hamstring curls, tricep extensions, lateral raises, etc. because the force of gravity exerted on a joint changes throughout the movement, causing tension to applied unevenly and not at all at some points.

Think about doing a curl with your upper arms fixed against your side perpendicular to the ground. At the beginning of the movement, the weight is moving straight forward in front of you, and when your arms are 90 degrees the weight is moving straight up. When your biceps are fully stretched at the bottom of the movement, they are at their strongest, but they will be doing no work because of the lack of resistance against gravity. When your biceps are at a 90 degree, they are at their weakest, but this is when they are bearing the most weight from the exercise. This is the opposite of how the resistance profile should work. With a machine, a resistance profile can be created so that the biceps bear the same load throughout the exercise or a load that is greatest at full stretch and weakest at full contraction. The same applies for every muscle.