Author Topic: Free weights only (No machines)  (Read 15269 times)

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Re: Free weights only (No machines)
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
Free weights work for compound movements like bench press and squat because the downward force of gravity can always be distributed across two or more joints to maintain tension throughout the entire range of motion. Even then, tension decreased to nothing at the top of the exercise, which still isn't optimal. Ideally, one should be able to squeeze at full contraction to create the optimal workload.

Free weights don't work as well as machines and cables for single joint exercises like curls, hamstring curls, tricep extensions, lateral raises, etc. because the force of gravity exerted on a joint changes throughout the movement, causing tension to applied unevenly and not at all at some points.

Think about doing a curl with your upper arms fixed against your side perpendicular to the ground. At the beginning of the movement, the weight is moving straight forward in front of you, and when your arms are 90 degrees the weight is moving straight up. When your biceps are fully stretched at the bottom of the movement, they are at their strongest, but they will be doing no work because of the lack of resistance against gravity. When your biceps are at a 90 degree, they are at their weakest, but this is when they are bearing the most weight from the exercise. This is the opposite of how the resistance profile should work. With a machine, a resistance profile can be created so that the biceps bear the same load throughout the exercise or a load that is greatest at full stretch and weakest at full contraction. The same applies for every muscle.

Hi Doug Brignole.

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
Free weights work for compound movements like bench press and squat because the downward force of gravity can always be distributed across two or more joints to maintain tension throughout the entire range of motion. Even then, tension decreased to nothing at the top of the exercise, which still isn't optimal. Ideally, one should be able to squeeze at full contraction to create the optimal workload.

Free weights don't work as well as machines and cables for single joint exercises like curls, hamstring curls, tricep extensions, lateral raises, etc. because the force of gravity exerted on a joint changes throughout the movement, causing tension to applied unevenly and not at all at some points.

Think about doing a curl with your upper arms fixed against your side perpendicular to the ground. At the beginning of the movement, the weight is moving straight forward in front of you, and when your arms are 90 degrees the weight is moving straight up. When your biceps are fully stretched at the bottom of the movement, they are at their strongest, but they will be doing no work because of the lack of resistance against gravity. When your biceps are at a 90 degree, they are at their weakest, but this is when they are bearing the most weight from the exercise. This is the opposite of how the resistance profile should work. With a machine, a resistance profile can be created so that the biceps bear the same load throughout the exercise or a load that is greatest at full stretch and weakest at full contraction. The same applies for every muscle.
Arthur Jones sales pitch to sell his crappy machines.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 08:58:59 PM »
Mostly free weights are the best. however there are some really good hammers strength to use in conjunction with the free weights. I do some trI sets with both.
h

nerdoldnerdith

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 08:59:39 PM »
Arthur Jones sales pitch to sell his crappy machines.

Crappy machines that guys like Arnold, Dorian, Kai, and many others used to build some of the craziest lats ever. Dorian swore by the thing, and he had a very good idea what worked and what didn't.

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
Crappy machines that guys like Arnold, Dorian, Kai, and many others used to build some of the craziest lats ever. Dorian swore by the thing, and he had a very good idea what worked and what didn't.
Dorian swore by steroids and barbell rows. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 09:03:16 PM »

True, although arnold can suck it. The hammer strength can works  muscle group very well. Same as the back squat mAchine and hip sled.
h

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 10:51:46 PM »
This entire thread depends on the goal. Different modalities for different goals be it weightlifting, powerlifting or bodybuilding. Start there.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 11:07:28 PM »
Foolish response

Why? Because in the ears of the moron truth often sound foolish  ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 12:20:54 AM »
We have a winner!

Claiming that running/jogging and driving a car is analogous to, say, the Bench Press and the Hammer Chest press is the stupidest post ever written on this board.

Congratulations!

BTW, have you ever posted a pic showing the results of your training modalities?

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 05:06:44 AM »
I agree with this as I recently started all free weight again as my joints are feeling better and I've added a lot of size and strength in a short period.I know muscles on know stimulus but I get way better results from free weights.

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 05:43:47 AM »
This entire thread depends on the goal. Different modalities for different goals be it weightlifting, powerlifting or bodybuilding. Start there.
Lifting is lifting.

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 05:44:42 AM »
Why? Because in the ears of the moron truth often sound foolish  ;D

No, because it was a foolish answer.

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 05:46:57 AM »
We have a winner!

Claiming that running/jogging and driving a car is analogous to, say, the Bench Press and the Hammer Chest press is the stupidest post ever written on this board.

Congratulations!

BTW, have you ever posted a pic showing the results of your training modalities?
Oh, we have a tool here that interjects the word "say" in order to sound intelligent. Then comes the obligatory demand for the picture of another male. Lol.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
Lifting is lifting.

Not even remotely close...but if you say so.

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »
Not even remotely close...but if you say so.
Maybe you should stick to doing your best to approximate what you think you heard Rush Limbaugh say. And you can do that on the other forum. Okay "coach"?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »
Maybe you should stick to doing your best to approximate what you think you heard Rush Limbaugh say. And you can do that on the other forum. Okay "coach"?

See, come on here trying to talk about training and get hit. Then people wonder why I'm an asshole on here. No one can carry civil conversation or debate so I might as well live up to my rep.

Look smart ass. Don't come on here as a gimmick spewing your training bullshit. For all we know you look like Rush Limbaugh. So unless you can produce a pic to back up your "big flat bench" stfu.

Btw, can't really remember the last time Rush was wrong...hope this helps. Clown

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »
See, come on here trying to talk about training and get hit. Then people wonder why I'm an asshole on here. No one can carry civil conversation or debate so I might as well live up to my rep.

Look smart ass. Don't come on here as a gimmick spewing your training bullshit. For all we know you look like Rush Limbaugh. So unless you can produce a pic to back up your "big flat bench" stfu.

Btw, can't really remember the last time Rush was wrong...hope this helps. Clown
Because you're foolish enough to post your personal info and pics on an internet forum doesn't concern me. Your strength training pseudo science gibberish also doesn't concern me. Now go into your bunker and weight for the end to come because Hillary Clinton will become president.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »
Because you're foolish enough to post your personal info and pics on an internet forum doesn't concern me. Your strength training pseudo science gibberish also doesn't concern me. Now go into your bunker and weight for the end to come because Hillary Clinton will become president.

Regardless, you can't make an argument for your training. The only thing we get is "lifting is lifting" plus I have nothing to hide.

Feel free to post a pic. You can block your face out.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »
Joe, don't even bother... he won't post a pic because he either 1. doesn't exist, or 2. is a fat turd.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »
Joe, don't even bother... he won't post a pic because he either 1. doesn't exist, or 2. is a fat turd.

Agree

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
Now comes the faux intimacy when the gimmick starts calling "The Coach" by the name "Joe", as if they are two decades long graying chums. "He's not worth it Joe. Think of your blood pressure."

Simple Simon

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 11:13:50 AM »

its both, its joon, who doesnt exist, hes a Darren Avey gimmick, and yep, hes fat.

Big Flat Bench

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2016, 11:18:13 AM »
its both, its joon, who doesnt exist, hes a Darren Avey gimmick, and yep, hes fat.
How refreshing. The same old boring "it's Joon!" tripe coming from the one trick pony "Be There".

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
How refreshing. The same old boring "it's Joon!" tripe coming from the one trick pony "Be There".

So, are you going to keep deflecting? You sure you want to stick with that strategy?

Now that your credibility is shot, making thread upon thread preaching Ironager training protocol seems like a waste of effort.

Simple Simon

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2016, 11:36:30 AM »