Author Topic: Proximal Biceps Tendon Rupture  (Read 5508 times)

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
Proximal Biceps Tendon Rupture
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:22:15 PM »
About a week and a half ago I ruptured the tendon that connects the long head of my biceps to my shoulder  :'( .  I saw the orthopedic surgeon today who told me that he does not operate on this as I should get full strength back in about 12 weeks but that it will always be misshapen so it would be only cosmetic.  I would think that if it is no longer connected so does not contract there must be a loss of strength.  Does anyone have experience with this? I am not so concerned with the shape but do want full strength.  

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Re: Proximal Biceps Tendon Rupture
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »
The surgeon didn't want to waste his valuable time on a misshapen blob like you so he made up a phony excuse

You look like shit, HTH.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:37:37 PM »
The surgeon didn't want to waste his valuable time on a misshapen blob like you so he made up a phony excuse

You look like shit, HTH.

Yet your time is so lacking in value that you think nothing of typing such a lame reply...oh brother  ::)

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:40:28 PM »

You look like shit, HTH.

I knew this was coming. For the OP's sake I hope he is a SHW powerlifter and not a bodybuilder.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:47:44 PM »
 Get it repaired immediately! What are you stupid?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
The strength loss is considered relatively minimal in regular folks. In strength athletes that don't get it repaired (which is somewhat common), I've seen self reported strength losses of 10-20% over previous bests. Sadly, I haven't seen anything on repaired vs not repaired. Generally though, it was always recommended to get it repaired if you were going back into your previous sport.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:55:09 PM »
I knew this was coming. For the OP's sake I hope he is a SHW powerlifter and not a bodybuilder.

The allure of prancing around in a sequined thong for a plastic trophy really isn't too strong you are correct. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »

Unfortunately I live in a country with socialized medicine so I can't just find a doctor and pay for it.  If the doc deems it unnecessary you are really at his mercy.  TBH even getting in to see an Orthopedic surgeon in such a short time was pulling strings through a friend.  A second opinion means waiting for another doctor and without a connection I am looking at most booking in December or January at which point, from what I have read, is too late to have it done. 

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 08:47:36 PM »
Unfortunately I live in a country with socialized medicine so I can't just find a doctor and pay for it.  If the doc deems it unnecessary you are really at his mercy.  TBH even getting in to see an Orthopedic surgeon in such a short time was pulling strings through a friend.  A second opinion means waiting for another doctor and without a connection I am looking at most booking in December or January at which point, from what I have read, is too late to have it done. 

So, "shop" doctors! Find one that will do it for you. It is very necessary!

C-BuZz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 09:01:22 PM »

You look like shit, HTH.

I agree, Bossa; you look like shit. You sure it's a torn muscle & not stretch marks from all the fat?

HTH...

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »
About a week and a half ago I ruptured the tendon that connects the long head of my biceps to my shoulder  :'( .  I saw the orthopedic surgeon today who told me that he does not operate on this as I should get full strength back in about 12 weeks but that it will always be misshapen so it would be only cosmetic.  I would think that if it is no longer connected so does not contract there must be a loss of strength.  Does anyone have experience with this? I am not so concerned with the shape but do want full strength.  

Doctor is correct. Technically you don't need the surgery unless you're going to compete or it aesthetically bothers you. Do some physical therapy to regain your passive movements and ROM. Strength wise you'll regain full strength and be back to normal training in 3-6 months depending if you re-injure it again.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »
Doctor is correct. Technically you don't need the surgery unless you're going to compete or it aesthetically bothers you. Do some physical therapy to regain your passive movements and ROM. Strength wise you'll regain full strength and be back to normal training in 3-6 months depending if you re-injure it again.

Total asshole post Coach! Needs to be done immediately. Even for strength alone, surgery is necessary. OP needs it done NOW!

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
I agree, Bossa; you look like shit. You sure it's a torn muscle & not stretch marks from all the fat?

HTH...

Really "C-BuZz"? I am all for a good ribbing but at least make an effort to bring some humor into it.  That was just lame  ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:35:51 PM »
Total asshole post Coach! Needs to be done immediately. Even for strength alone, surgery is necessary. OP needs it done NOW!

Actually it isn't because over the years I've had to help deal with it with some of my athletes. He can regain complete normal function with or without surgery. It's totally up to him. Same with a distal tear.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
Actually it isn't because over the years I've had to help deal with it with some of my athletes. He can regain complete normal function with or without surgery. It's totally up to him. Same with a distal tear.

He tore his biceps tendon. It won't get better by itself. He needs to get it done NOW! What the fuck is wrong with you?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 09:52:53 PM »
He tore his biceps tendon. It won't get better by itself. He needs to get it done NOW! What the fuck is wrong with you?

For aesthetics definitely, for function not so much. It's his choice. He can go through surgery and have an extended amount of recovery time or PT and be back relatively quick. Similar to a meniscus tear (depending on the severity of it and if CL's are involved and how active you are) even though a meniscus doesn't heal due to lack of blood supply to the area, you can still live an active, normal life with full strength.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 10:09:49 PM »
For aesthetics definitely, for function not so much. It's his choice. He can go through surgery and have an extended amount of recovery time or PT and be back relatively quick. Similar to a meniscus tear (depending on the severity of it and if CL's are involved and how active you are) even though a meniscus doesn't heal due to lack of blood supply to the area, you can still live an active, normal life with full strength.

Total nonsense! Get it fixed. You're totally stupid. And totally disappointing. I thought you were one of the few people on here that knew their shit. I was absolutely wrong about you.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 10:25:07 PM »
Total nonsense! Get it fixed. You're totally stupid. And totally disappointing. I thought you were one of the few people on here that knew their shit. I was absolutely wrong about you.

I actually do. By experience and dealing with it in real life through my clients and athletes over the last 20+ years plus consulting with their doctors and PTs about what path to take in their recovery. You still haven't figured out that I'm not just a rep counter, have you?

Let him consult with his own doctor and let him make his own decision. It's not life threatening but rather an aesthetic asymmetry.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 10:32:45 PM »
I actually do. By experience and dealing with it in real life through my clients and athletes over the last 20+ years plus consulting with their doctors and PTs about what path to take in their recovery. You still haven't figured out that I'm not just a rep counter, have you?

Let him consult with his own doctor and let him make his own decision. It's not life threatening but rather an aesthetic asymmetry.

No, it's a horrible handicap for the rest of your life, unless you get it fixed immediately. You are totally stupid to post anything else. I'm appalled, truly appalled, that anyone would post anything else about it.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 10:33:49 PM »
I appreciate Coaches experience.  I am going to get a second opinion and evaluate from there.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 10:38:01 PM »
I appreciate Coaches experience.  I am going to get a second opinion and evaluate from there.

That's the right answer. Good for you.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 10:48:20 PM »

This must affect any forwards/upwards shoulder rotation movement as the contribution of the biceps is taken out of the mechanics.

NN

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 10:51:22 PM »
What happened to the pictures in the OP?  :D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 10:53:30 PM »
No, it's a horrible handicap for the rest of your life, unless you get it fixed immediately. You are totally stupid to post anything else. I'm appalled, truly appalled, that anyone would post anything else about it.

You shouldn't be appalled. You should study, research and learn from others that are smarter than you and I (when it comes to training, recovery, rehab, etc) then learn to apply it. My politics viewpoints are just my opinions me being a coach and trainer and dealing with over 120-160 clients and athletes per days means I better know what the fuck I'm doing and if I get into position where I don't know what to do, I go to people that do. Example, where I'm a high school strength coach I have an Ortho, PT and AT to go to when it's out of my scope of training, same with my business. I have a PT, Chiro, message therapist on staff and an Orthopedic Surgeon on call that's works with all of us. We all learn from each other not to mention the thousands we all put out each year to better our athletes and clients. I can tell you that I personally put out $8-12k a year for continuing education.