Author Topic: Any prison guards on here?  (Read 4868 times)

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
Any prison guards on here?
« on: October 26, 2016, 05:55:29 AM »
I keep getting ads encouraging me to become a PO at Wandsworth prison. Anyone actually done this? I mean really what the hell possessed you to think yeh I wanna do this job. Protect pedos all day, get abused by hard ass cons all day. My lifes in danger, my family s in danger if I mess with the wrong inmate. The hours are long and unsociable, its a stinking shitty job all for what? 20K????? Madness.

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
Re: Any prison guards on here?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:23:02 AM »
I don't know where you're from or anything about Wandsworth prison, but I'm a CO in NYS.  In my area it's pretty much the only decent paying job that doesn't require an advanced degree.  With the extra pay (shift differential, expanded duty pay, pre shift briefing) you make $60,000 after 3 years.  I realize that the average getbigger makes more than that in a month, but it's considered a lot of money in my area.
What separates this job from most others is the ability to alter your schedule to get basically any day off that you might want.  You can "swap" with an officer who works the opposite shift.  I typically work 2x16 hour days and then have 4 days off in a row.  I also have six 11 day vacations a year.

Regarding the actual job, I really don't mind it, and depending on who I'm working with, I actually like it at times.
I work at a medium security facility where all inmates are within 7 years of their release date (most are within 1-3).  An assault in NYS results in an outside charge for the inmate, so assaults on staff are VERY rare where I work! 
Maybe I'm not the norm, but the job is virtually stress free for me.  The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I'm completely off the grid for 2 straight days, since bringing your phone into the facility is NOT allowed. 
Hope this helped at least a little

Skeeter

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:57:35 AM »
I don't know where you're from or anything about Wandsworth prison, but I'm a CO in NYS.  In my area it's pretty much the only decent paying job that doesn't require an advanced degree.  With the extra pay (shift differential, expanded duty pay, pre shift briefing) you make $60,000 after 3 years.  I realize that the average getbigger makes more than that in a month, but it's considered a lot of money in my area.
What separates this job from most others is the ability to alter your schedule to get basically any day off that you might want.  You can "swap" with an officer who works the opposite shift.  I typically work 2x16 hour days and then have 4 days off in a row.  I also have six 11 day vacations a year.

Regarding the actual job, I really don't mind it, and depending on who I'm working with, I actually like it at times.
I work at a medium security facility where all inmates are within 7 years of their release date (most are within 1-3).  An assault in NYS results in an outside charge for the inmate, so assaults on staff are VERY rare where I work! 
Maybe I'm not the norm, but the job is virtually stress free for me.  The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I'm completely off the grid for 2 straight days, since bringing your phone into the facility is NOT allowed. 

I work at a prison in Ontario Canada (not as a guard) and the situation is very similar. Similar pay and scheduling, instances of violence against staff are very rare.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:16:35 AM »
if youre in prison youre in prison, no matter what side of the gate.

so youre  basically spending a good portion of your life in prison even though you never commited a crime. thats pretty screwed up.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »
I keep getting ads encouraging me to become a PO at Wandsworth prison. Anyone actually done this? I mean really what the hell possessed you to think yeh I wanna do this job. Protect pedos all day, get abused by hard ass cons all day. My lifes in danger, my family s in danger if I mess with the wrong inmate. The hours are long and unsociable, its a stinking shitty job all for what? 20K????? Madness.

You'd make a better prisoner than a guard.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »
they're called Corrections Officers.  Half of them in my area are just waiting to take the State Police exam and jump ship.  The other half are there because it's good money and they are not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.  Maybe one percent are genuine sadists and just like having power over the powerless.
X

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 09:06:51 AM »

You'll get more working in a prison than a jail. That being said, just be smart because all the muscles won't do you any good with a person who has 24 hours a day just to think about getting over on you.  Pedo's are segregated from general population usually so you don't have to worry about them much.

The benefits are that its not really a difficult job, pay is great, flexible hours, and great benefits.  If you don't like the job after working it...then quit.
A

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
The state police comment is 100% accurate!  Guys leave all the time!  Most of the guys that come in at a young age (21-24) are just doing it temporarily before they get the call for SP. 
In all the NYS prisons I've worked in, pedos are NOT segregated from GP, but there aren't as many issues at you might think.  I've only had one issue at my current facility in the past 4 years, and it was because a pedo had basically bragged about what he did and how he didn't think it was that bad, which infuriated the rest of the dorm.   One of my rats came up to my desk and told me they were gonna basically kill this dude if I didn't get him out of there asap! LOL!  Other than this one incident, the pedos typically coexist with the rest of the population without very many issues.  They usually aren't very popular with other inmates however and a lot of them stick to themselves. 
I tell all my buddies at the gym (who I think would be good for the job) to take the test and give it a try.  If they don't like it after 6 months, quit and try something else.  So far the two buddies who took my advice, are still on the job over 2 years later!
I'm not trying to say it's the best job in the world (it certainly isn't), but it definitely isn't the shithole of a job that you are under the impression it is. 

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »
you got me inspired, im gonna watch stallone in lock up tonight

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 10:14:04 AM »
loser job imho

getting paid small coins to baby sit criminals

#1GymRat

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 10:15:02 AM »
you looser. start club yet lier?

loser job imho

getting paid small coins to baby sit criminals

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »
I haven't been a Correction Officer in over 35 years. In NJ state correction officers and county CO's make over 100K with over time. It's not uncommon. Yes, many use it as a stepping stone to get a state, county or town Police job. The turn over is big in State corrections. It's not an easy job. What happens with seniority you can get a choice position that is tolerable. What state is paying 20K for this job? 

stavios

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »

Same here.
The stress is non-existent.
Some stabbings here and there, some guys hanging themselves once in a while and a few fights.

Around 30% of the staff are fucking pussies or assholes who do this job to gain some power over people... that's what pisses me off the most about the job.

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »

Fuck off Joon.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »

Pretty sure there's a height requirement m8.

Simple Simon

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »

go for it, you look like a guy that would command respect from the cons...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
Two of the hottest guys I ever met were both COs.  Phenomenal physiques!  I would post one of the dude's pix here, but even headless he might hear about it and not be happy.  Dude was smoking hot!  Both were actually.  One in CA and one in Massachusetts.  Bay likey!  :P

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
I haven't been a Correction Officer in over 35 years. In NJ state correction officers and county CO's make over 100K with over time. It's not uncommon. Yes, many use it as a stepping stone to get a state, county or town Police job. The turn over is big in State corrections. It's not an easy job. What happens with seniority you can get a choice position that is tolerable. What state is paying 20K for this job? 

Its a South London prison in the UK.

Simple Simon

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 03:08:38 PM »
Its a South London prison in the UK.
I thought most of your friends were convicts and gangsters?

USMC 1371

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »
Get in, get experience, then look around at who pays best. There really is no telling who pays what. I started at the state DOC that topped out at 25/hr with no pension then went to a county jail that topped out at 35/hr with a pension with the choice to go to the road patrol. Some places like mine the jail deputies make more than the road deputies because even though they make 45 cents more an hour, we get a ton of ot and the road gets none. The next state over the DOC tops out somewhere around 20. (Thanks Mike Pence)
As far as the work, it depends on a lot of factors like the people you work with and what type of prison. In my state the CO's get seniority and try to stay away from certain prison. My prison would have daily fights but stabbings only once every few months but the prison across from the street had 3 or 4 stabbing a day. You will have more issues with the people you work with than you will the inmates. The people I worked with at the DOC where the biggest pieces of garbage I've ever worked with but the people I work with now at the County jail are great and I live in the same area still.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »
I thought most of your friends were convicts and gangsters?

I dont really have any friends.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »
Get in, get experience, then look around at who pays best. There really is no telling who pays what. I started at the state DOC that topped out at 25/hr with no pension then went to a county jail that topped out at 35/hr with a pension with the choice to go to the road patrol. Some places like mine the jail deputies make more than the road deputies because even though they make 45 cents more an hour, we get a ton of ot and the road gets none. The next state over the DOC tops out somewhere around 20. (Thanks Mike Pence)
As far as the work, it depends on a lot of factors like the people you work with and what type of prison. In my state the CO's get seniority and try to stay away from certain prison. My prison would have daily fights but stabbings only once every few months but the prison across from the street had 3 or 4 stabbing a day. You will have more issues with the people you work with than you will the inmates. The people I worked with at the DOC where the biggest pieces of garbage I've ever worked with but the people I work with now at the County jail are great and I live in the same area still.

interdasting, orange is the new black, that netflix series kind of paints DOC people in the same peice of shit type of character. interesting thats semi truthful in real life

SaintAnger

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 01:00:56 AM »
I'm sick to my stomach after reading this.

I cannot believe my tax dollars go to paying hacks so much money on the front end and back end pension (!) to watch prisoners.  No wonder we have a system with non violent drug offenders being shuttled into the system.  It's a god damned racket.

And, to think you have white collar, hard working higher educated individuals making less than some white trash CO behind bars is infuriating.

Oh, but I bet those CO's are the same republicans types who talk about being all for "small government" right?

It's obvious to me now that LEO has little to do with "protect and serve" but more along the lines of "fresh outta options"!

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 01:40:27 AM »

I cannot believe my tax dollars go to paying hacks so much money on the front end and back end pension (!) to watch prisoners.  No wonder we have a system with non violent drug offenders being shuttled into the system.  It's a god damned racket.

And, to think you have white collar, hard working higher educated individuals making less than some white trash CO behind bars is infuriating.

Oh, but I bet those CO's are the same republicans types who talk about being all for "small government" right?

It's obvious to me now that LEO has little to do with "protect and serve" but more along the lines of "fresh outta options"!

hahah.

My neighbor just retired from being a cop.

91% of his salary for the rest of his life. Not to mention I think he was cashing out like 150k in other investments or something of the sort.

And here you are, being small, lonely, poor and demoralized by people smarter than you. Take all  that in, pal.

He did say they were hiring, maybe you should apply and change the world rather than complain all the time  ???

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 05:00:55 AM »

Believe it.  Life is not fair.