Author Topic: college student threatened with expulsion...  (Read 4551 times)

markofan

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: college student threatened with expulsion...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
Oh man, the kid that posted the cell phone video is Latino... if he gets kicked out; I hope that his lawyers sue the college for racial discrimination and political intolerance.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:45:26 AM »
for recording anti Trump psychopathic rant of professor.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/12/08/orange-coast-college-student-threatened-with-expulsion-after-recording-professors-anti-trump-tirade/

Point 1- The college may have strict regulations about recording in class. Thus, any form of recording is a serous violation.

Point 2 - The prof made the classic mistake of not being objective. Academic freedom doesn't mean you can waste student's times with rambling tirades.

I was a small college physics instructor  (recently  retired)and always tried to provide relevant instruction.
I avoided rambling in front of my class about politics or farting LOL.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
If it was a professor speaking for Trump, the professor's union would probably publish the video and student unions would be calling for "safe spaces" because they were "violated".

Btw:

The human sexuality teacher — Olga Perez Stable Cox

:D

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
College professors could DENY someone the right to audio and/or video record their lectures. Your "freedom" sort of ends once you step on a college campus and have to abide by their regulations and guidelines. If the college and/or professor had strict guidelines against recording, then, yes, this student should get expelled. If the student didn't like the the guidelines, then go to a different school. MANY professors and universities do not allow recordings of lectures. This is nothing new. However, if these guidelines were never made explicit, then the student should not be expelled.
X

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:00:54 AM »
College professors could DENY someone the right to audio and/or video record their lectures. Your "freedom" sort of ends once you step on a college campus and have to abide by their regulations and guidelines. If the college and/or professor had strict guidelines against recording, then, yes, this student should get expelled. If the student didn't like the the guidelines, then go to a different school. MANY professors and universities do not allow recordings of lectures. This is nothing new. However, if these guidelines were never made explicit, then the student should not be expelled.

It doesn't sound like the professor was lecturing. It sounds like she was venting her personal opinion about politics..... in a human sexuality class.

I think that a good lawyer will keep the kid from getting kicked out.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
It doesn't sound like the professor was lecturing. It sounds like she was venting her personal opinion about politics..... in a human sexuality class.

Let's make college great again and fart in her face.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »

Well, I guess it depends where the rant was happening. If it was occurring during her class, then she can always chalk it up to a "lecture." Either way, it would be best to first determine the universities policy about recording, in order to make an informed decision.
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:26:49 PM »
Point 1- The college may have strict regulations about recording in class. Thus, any form of recording is a serous violation.

Point 2 - The prof made the classic mistake of not being objective. Academic freedom doesn't mean you can waste student's times with rambling tirades.

I was a small college physics instructor  (recently  retired)and always tried to provide relevant instruction.

Then you were one of the good ones. The main reason for Marxist idiocy, cry rooms, aroma therapy, etc is because the education systems at the university level has completely failed us due to lack of objectivity by professors.

Simple Simon

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »
Its not illegal to record someone , its illegal to play it to a third party without their consent.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:00:16 PM »
Its not illegal to record someone , its illegal to play it to a third party without their consent.

The question is not whether its illegal to record someone. The question is whether the university has a policy against recording lectures. Universities and/or professors can deny a students right to record a lecture.

Students may request permission to record any lectures or other formal teaching sessions. All such requests should be made in writing (including by email) prior to the lecture course or equivalent, to the academic responsible. The decision on whether to grant permission is at the discretion of the academic. Students may only record lectures where the academic responsible for the session has given their consent prior to the start of the lecture in writing (e.g. by email), and recordings of lectures may not be made by students unless this consent has been given.
X

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
The question is not whether its illegal to record someone. The question is whether the university has a policy against recording lectures. Universities and/or professors can deny a students right to record a lecture.

Students may request permission to record any lectures or other formal teaching sessions. All such requests should be made in writing (including by email) prior to the lecture course or equivalent, to the academic responsible. The decision on whether to grant permission is at the discretion of the academic. Students may only record lectures where the academic responsible for the session has given their consent prior to the start of the lecture in writing (e.g. by email), and recordings of lectures may not be made by students unless this consent has been given.

let me explain something simple, how would you be able to prove a student taped a lecturer unless they played it to a third person.

Thats how the law works...

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »
let me explain something simple, how would you be able to prove a student taped a lecturer unless they played it to a third person.

Thats how the law works...

By catching them in the direct act?  ??? ??? ??? In the same way that how would you know a student cheated on a test unless you directly caught them. I've seen students try to audio record and the professor told them to shut it off or leave the lecture. Obviously, some students are better at being sneaky than others.

Further, I am not too sure this student even has a case in terms of the law, if the university had a policy against recording a lecture without consent.
X

markofan

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
I think the student could make the case that he wasn't recording the course lecture, but rather unrelated political talk which had nothing to do with the course.  I think the student could also make the case that he was paying for a course on sexuality not political opinion.

Simple Simon

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
By catching them in the direct act?  ??? ??? ??? In the same way that how would you know a student cheated on a test unless you directly caught them. I've seen students try to audio record and the professor told them to shut it off or leave the lecture. Obviously, some students are better at being sneaky than others.

Further, I am not too sure this student even has a case in terms of the law, if the university had a policy against recording a lecture without consent.

You cant be prosecuted for recording someone, the law doesn't work that way...

They may have a rule saying no recording, but that not law, its just a rule.

If they catch you recording in a courtroom for example you get contempt of court.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 02:40:09 PM »
I think the student could make the case that he wasn't recording the course lecture, but rather unrelated political talk which had nothing to do with the course.  I think the student could also make the case that he was paying for a course on sexuality not political opinion.

This may be the case, UNLESS the lecture that day was on the intersection between human sexuality and politics (and it was on the syllabus). This may have given her a platform to rant and rave. However, if not, as you stated, the student may have a case, in terms of fighting the expulsion and legal action taken against him/her.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 02:42:18 PM »
You cant be prosecuted for recording someone, the law doesn't work that way...

They may have a rule saying no recording, but that not law, its just a rule.

If they catch you recording in a courtroom for example you get contempt of court.

Hmmm, I just read over the article and it says the student is being threatened with expulsion and legal action.

So, I apologize, I definitely may be wrong about the legal part--I was speaking to the expulsion part. There is probable grounds for expulsion if the student broke university policy/rule. However, I am unsure if he/she can be sued. According to you, no legal action can take place.

I was looking at purely the "expulsion" piece and missed the legal action.
X

Simple Simon

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
Hmmm, I just read over the article and it says the student is being threatened with expulsion and legal action.

So, I apologize, I definitely may be wrong about the legal part--I was speaking to the expulsion part. There is probable grounds for expulsion if the student broke university policy/rule. However, I am unsure if he/she can be sued. According to you, no legal action can take place.

I was looking at purely the "expulsion" piece and missed the legal action.

yep, break a policy and he is subject to any action by the school, he cant however be prosecuted as he hasnt broken the law.
They may take a civil suit regarding privacy , but that isnt classed as "legal"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »
yep, break a policy and he is subject to any action by the school, he cant however be prosecuted as he hasnt broken the law.
They may take a civil suit regarding privacy , but that isnt classed as "legal"

Even if there is legal grounds in any way, it would be a waste for the college to go after the student. Expulsion would be enough. No sense of even a civil suit. Geez.
X

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »

Why exactly would they have these regulations? Are they ashamed of what the Professors are saying?

There are legit reasons for recording a class. You might missed something the Professor says, or you might want to use the recording to take more detailed notes.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 03:13:44 PM »
Stable Cocks.   :D

Simple Simon

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »
Why exactly would they have these regulations? Are they ashamed of what the Professors are saying?

There are legit reasons for recording a class. You might missed something the Professor says, or you might want to use the recording to take more detailed notes.

If  a student asked beforehand then why would a professor have a problem with it?

unless he/she wasnt confident in his/her ability.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »

In this particular case, the liberal professor probably considers the recording to be an "act of terrorism".

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 04:05:08 PM »
If  a student asked beforehand then why would a professor have a problem with it?

unless he/she wasnt confident in his/her ability.

Or the teacher likes to drift off topic on a regular basis... and the teacher doesn't want to get exposed as shit-talking jerk (when they are being paid to teach the class the specific criteria of the particular course)

To this type of a selfish & unfocused professor, recordings are a very scary thing.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 04:42:30 PM »
Or the teacher likes to drift off topic on a regular basis... and the teacher doesn't want to get exposed as shit-talking jerk (when they are being paid to teach the class the specific criteria of the particular course)

To this type of a selfish & unfocused professor, recordings are a very scary thing.

This is exactly why. But it doesn't even have to be a selfish or unfocused professor. Lets say a professor likes to make light-hearted jokes as he's lecturing and the head of the department finds out via audio recordings. How is this going to look? For the most part, if the humor is not too overwhelming and course lecture is not disrupted, it won't matter. However, if the head of the department is a stickler, it may pose a problem for the professor. Further, if the professor slightly veers from the syllabus, how will this look to the head of the department or others in charge? Now, of course an audio recording may not matter if you have 30 students complaining anyway. However, its all anecdotal evidence until something more concrete is presented.
X