Author Topic: Coffee - At home or on the road?  (Read 16097 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Coffee - At home or on the road?
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2017, 07:08:03 AM »
Although the forum is riding a wave of happiness over the recent dismissals, this Ropo/Silver Spoon coffee fight threatens to tear the very fabric that keeps this place together.

Let us all hope they can reach a compromise.

Y

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
Re: Coffee at home?
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
Ok. So you are saying that coffee taste difference if you have pressed it through these:

compared to this:

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/e/c/ecm-gran-crema-porta-filter-holder.jpg

??

For real?

I wonder why, because it is a same filter, same temperature, same pressure etc. and it just holds one cup more and you don't have that funny little nozzle under the port a filter. It comes down to taste, or imagined difference of taste. How often you wash your port a filter? There is people like me, who use naked one, people who rinse it after every use, and wash it weekly, to the people who never wash it. There is your difference of taste, because coffee is filled with aromatic oils which cover your port a filter and become rancid within days  ;D

I wash it ever day.

There are some coffee geeks who have cited the fact that the liquid travels farther and therefore the espresso is cooler than from the traditional spout.

I don't care what the "science" says, I know what I like in an espresso shot.

And a Rancilio Rocky can't make a decent cup of espresso no matter what bells and whistles one has.  It is a very limited machine. 

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
I wash it ever day.

There are some coffee geeks who have cited the fact that the liquid travels farther and therefore the espresso is cooler than from the traditional spout.

I don't care what the "science" says, I know what I like in an espresso shot.

And a Rancilio Rocky can't make a decent cup of espresso no matter what bells and whistles one has.  It is a very limited machine. 

That kind of tells everything about your knowledge about the matter, so maybe it would be better to end it here before you really make a fool of yourself.. ;D

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »

That kind of tells everything about your knowledge about the matter, so maybe it would be better to end it here before you really make a fool of yourself.. ;D

Lol.

Check into Mazzer Mini.

And at least an Andreja Premium.

Great combination.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »
Although the forum is riding a wave of happiness over the recent dismissals, this Ropo/Silver Spoon coffee fight threatens to tear the very fabric that keeps this place together.

I honestly think they love saying Naked Portafilter as a cover for the Naked PortaPotty meetings in Vegas.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2017, 03:15:03 AM »
... and I thought I had it pretty good with my Bodum french press.

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2017, 03:26:30 AM »

This is actually quite funny.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2017, 10:04:17 AM »
My last coffee machine had a traditional  porta filter, and my current one with a pressurized filter produces a deep rich crema just like in ropas YouTube clip.  Infact there are people who have dremelled the portafilta to make a comparison and it looks the same.  I'm sure anyone with a machine who's tamping their own freshly ground coffee from a burr grinder can make a cracking cup of coffee in comparison to any instant coffee.  Anything after that is marginal gains (bodybuilding related).

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »
DROP, I am a shitty wine connoisseur and even shittier when it comes to coffee.

Any cup full of hot coffee is fine by me.

But my favorite coffee 'experience' was that shitty cup of hot Navy coffee after week long spell in a jungle during monsoon season.

That shitty cup of Navy coffee was priceless!

I once purchased a very expensive wine collection and served it to some Hollywood movie friends during a Thanksgiving dinner.

They were amazed to be drinking that wine and really enjoyed it  while I continued to enjoy my Two Buck Chuck  .... which is now Three Buck Chuck but no better than the  Two Buck bottle

I am not a well trained coffee or fine wine connoisseur but it's good to see that others are and enjoy what  I consider to be the the little things  that most of us take for granted every day.

Wise words, and it doesn't require a huge investment to make a decent cup of coffee.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »

I once purchased a very expensive wine collection and served it to some Hollywood movie friends during a Thanksgiving dinner.

Stunt, when are you going to introduce me to Jennifer Lawrence?

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2017, 03:20:44 AM »
My last coffee machine had a traditional  porta filter, and my current one with a pressurized filter produces a deep rich crema just like in ropas YouTube clip.  Infact there are people who have dremelled the portafilta to make a comparison and it looks the same.  I'm sure anyone with a machine who's tamping their own freshly ground coffee from a burr grinder can make a cracking cup of coffee in comparison to any instant coffee.  Anything after that is marginal gains (bodybuilding related).

I explained why it does so at the same page. There is real reasons why pressurized filter simply cannot make as good coffee than traditional filter, but if you can't taste the difference, it doesn't matter. If there is some kind of point somewhere there, it is this: Start with the traditional, you wont be disappointed. Just like you did. But if you first buy one with pressurized filter and find yourself wondering why your coffee is bitter, you have to buy a machine with the traditional one to find out how smooth and nice coffee can be  ;D

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2017, 03:28:03 AM »
and if you ever want an awesome traditional cup of coffee, a chemex is difficult to beat.

But if you want a traditional coffee machine that will last 20+ years, get a Technivorm.  Initially a higher investment, but it is awesome.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »
and if you ever want an awesome traditional cup of coffee, a chemex is difficult to beat.

But if you want a traditional coffee machine that will last 20+ years, get a Technivorm.  Initially a higher investment, but it is awesome.

Nice, but a bit pricey  ;D

It is actually called Moccamaster around the globe. Best ordinary coffee maker you can buy from markets.

I have one just like this  ;D