Author Topic: Watch experts of getbig please chime in  (Read 25739 times)

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
Re: Watch experts of getbig please chime in
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 08:03:58 AM »
We all know your average getbigger has a few dozen new and vintage swiss timepieces kicking around his collection at any one time. But said getbiggers would never daily wear such valuables especially in times like these with the dindus up in arms.

I'm looking for a clean simple watch, no more than $450 but dead reliable high quality and looks the business. I am a huge submariner fan, but would never spend that kind of money on something I intend to wear every day. Band must be metal, and no stupid bling bling stuff going on with it, just clean and classy look.

Any suggestions?

You love submariner but wouldn't spen that money to wear it everyday?its a tool watch meant to be worn everyday,I wear mine sleeping,in the shower,lifting,working etc...With 450 budget you could find a nice used tag quartz and it would keep great time as it's a quartz.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »
i probably go 43mm or so but i got tiny wrists. 44-45 might work depending on watch

Only negroes and wannabe rappers wear 45mm watches.  They look stupid.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
Hamilton would be your best bet for your budget.
Just dont get a quartz piece of shit or a watch from a clothe brand.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 09:02:06 AM »
for $450 you can find Tags on the resale market.  Nixon is a decent cheap priced watch or Hamilton as stated above.  Check out these guys.  American watch makers and super cool designs.

check out this brand

http://www.xeric.com/

also some other American brands that are pretty nice and unique

http://www.thegoodtrade.com/features/american-made-watches

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 09:21:51 AM »
Hamilton would be your best bet for your budget.
Just dont get a quartz piece of shit or a watch from a clothe brand.

He wants accuracy and at 450 you don't want an automatic movement nothing more accurate than quartz.i agree with the latter part of your statement.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »
He wants accuracy and at 450 you don't want an automatic movement nothing more accurate than quartz.i agree with the latter part of your statement.

Not sure even sure why bother wearing a watch today if you want accurate time.  if you want accurate time buy an Apple Watch, at least you get some health monitoring features.  I love the mechanics of watches.  Why bother owning 5 automatic watches that do the same shit.  Own 1 basic, one chrono, one perpetual calendar, 1 moon phase and 1 slim.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
Not sure even sure why bother wearing a watch today if you want accurate time.  if you want accurate time buy an Apple Watch, at least you get some health monitoring features.  I love the mechanics of watches.  Why bother owning 5 automatic watches that do the same shit.  Own 1 basic, one chrono, one perpetual calendar, 1 moon phase and 1 slim.

I just love watches.i have a sub 114060,Daytona 116520 and deep blue 116660.Im addicted to watches just could never wears digital.Its a Rolex love.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »

gotta have a moon phase

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »
I dont wear jewelry, but I do own a great Three stooges watch...

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »
lots of posters taking the opportunity to boast about expensive watches

in a $450 watch thread

The 400-900$ range is a black hole in horological. You're simply paying for a name. No in house movements, or even elaborate ETA movements with escapements etc.

Or your paying for a trendy name with a 2$ quartz shitbox movement.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
my watch requires a certain number of biceps curls per week to function.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »

Say no more.....

That beats the fuk out any faggy Rolex  :D

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
Save your money. All sub £5K watches are shit, and will get you zero respect.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »
Save your money. All sub £5K watches are shit, and will get you zero respect.

If you need to wear a certain watch to gain respect then you have other issues in your life that needs figuring out.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »
Some good suggestions so far. I like the classic european styling, and divers especially. Digital watches are cheap gimmicks to me now, although when I was younger I loved G shocks and pro treks from Casio. I'm liking the TAGs and Omega's a lot. ESFitness makes a great point about the swiss watches though and that definitely coincides with my buying habits. Keep the options coming guys

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »
Hang out in front of gay clubs around closing time. See a guy leaving solo with a nice watch and step up and offer to blow them in the alley.  Once you get to the alley beat the shit out of him and roll him. I knew a guy who did this for a gold Rollie.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »
Hang out in front of gay clubs around closing time. See a guy leaving solo with a nice watch leaving and step up and offer to blow them in the alley.  Once you get to the alley beat the shit out of him and roll him. I knew a guy who did this for a gold Rollie.

:D no homo of course

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »
:D no homo of course

What's funny is the asshole would wear the stolen rolex flaunting it and a few days later he was pissed drunk and I slipped it off is wrist and kept it myself.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 02:53:13 PM »
Hang out in front of gay clubs around closing time. See a guy leaving solo with a nice watch and step up and offer to blow them in the alley.  Once you get to the alley beat the shit out of him and roll him. I knew a guy who did this for a gold Rollie.

Some people will do anything for a "Rollie". It's just a watch, folks.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
I'm actually really liking that rubber strap in the first one. Not a fan of the blue on silver though, looks cheap imo but that could be because the first watch I ever had (and still have somewhere) is a piece of junk 30 dollar timex from fred meyer i got when i was 10 and it had the same look to it..

There is no blue on that model Seiko diver. It's the modern version of the watch worn in the movie The Abyss.  Here is a side by side.

Seiko makes great dive watches and they have models in Japan that retail over 5k.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
Whenever anyone brings up watches here everyone feels the need to chime in and say watches are stupid blah blah.Some people like watches,cars,shoes,suits,bike,houses etc...I think a 20k Harley is stupid I would much rather have a 20k watch.So it may be just a watch but your bike,car,boat is just that.Some people enjoy watches and not for showing off but because they enjoy them.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 03:12:41 PM »
Buy a Swatch.  Seriously.  I've come to find out that a few I owned back in the day that are long gone are selling to collectors now upward of $10K.  Fucking ridiculous.  I owned a few rare special edition watches.  I worked at a dept store at the time and they'd only get 1 for sale and I'd buy it.  Wish I just stashed them away.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »
Whenever anyone brings up watches here everyone feels the need to chime in and say watches are stupid blah blah.Some people like watches,cars,shoes,suits,bike,houses etc...I think a 20k Harley is stupid I would much rather have a 20k watch.So it may be just a watch but your bike,car,boat is just that.Some people enjoy watches and not for showing off but because they enjoy them.

Last year I bought a new Breitling Super Avenger 11 (got a great deal).  Like you I have owned a ton of watches but this, with a pedestrian decorated ETA movement, has kept the best time.  Almost dead on or +1.

I've met the best people on watch forums like Timezone or Watchuseek. Lots of watch addicts and great sales forums. :D

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:38 PM »

That's very true. I'm a big knife guy. I daily carry a knife I paid over 200 dollars for, but to most that would be an insane purchase for a tool that will get used and abused over time. Most people don't even carry a knife any more, but I always have that beat up zero tolerance on me.

Anyone got an opinion on the Tag Huer F1's?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 04:23:16 PM »
That's very true. I'm a big knife guy. I daily carry a knife I paid over 200 dollars for, but to most that would be an insane purchase for a tool that will get used and abused over time. Most people don't even carry a knife any more, but I always have that beat up zero tolerance on me.

Anyone got an opinion on the Tag Huer F1's?
Tag is all over the place.  Cheap end mid range and high end. Only watch I can think of that has watches for $500 or $200k and everywhere in between.