Author Topic: question for guys with kids here  (Read 5459 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: question for guys with kids here
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
If they put you in a home they won't have any inheritance left the government will take the house you worked all your life to pay for and any savings to pay for your care while the fucker in the bed next to you who never worked and had his rent paid with benefits his entire life gets the same care as you for free.

That's not true. There is a 5 year grace period. If you put the rights to the house to your kids then they can't touch the home, as long as parents signed over the house 5 years before entering the nursing home. This is how it works in the US.
X

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »
its probably fortunate that some of the people in this thread

arent going to pass their genes on
T

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
Spent all of my 20s as a glorified caregiver, til my dad died from alz. Complications.

Safe to say ill never have kids

Damn. Story is almost exactly the same for me, although different parent and illness.

I plan to go out on a big high as soon as old age becomes a pain for me

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »
That's not true. There is a 5 year grace period. If you put the rights to the house to your kids then they can't touch the home, as long as parents signed over the house 5 years before entering the nursing home. This is how it works in the US.

Over here We had a 7 year grace period which was changed in 2014 so now it dosent matter how long ago they signed it over now they can still take it, can't sell you it on paper either as they want to see proof of payment for sale at full market value along with regular rent payments from the parent/parents still living in the house.

Makes you question working all your life, paying tax and owning a home if it can be taken from you should you fall too ill to care for yourself, never mind your 40+ years of tax contributions they will rape your assets to give you the same care as someone who claimed dole, housing benefit the works his whole life taking out of the system never paying in.

It's disgusting

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »
re: point #3.   This happens, but if you are able to plan and rid yourself of your assets for five years prior, you can avoid this, at least in my state.

But I do know people who are getting hammered on these costs because of it.

Estate planning is key.  A home can be protected in an irrevocable trust vested according to state guidelines. This is a good start.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
The majority of people who are having kids today will not have any inheritance for the kids to collect.  3 main reasons...

1. The cost of living is rising much faster than peoples wages are.
2. Dollar devaluation (i.e. inflation).  The dollars you earn/save now will not have the same purchasing power in the future.
3. The nursing home takes all the cash and liquefies your assets before the Medicare/Medicaid kicks in.

The last instance, which is correct, should inspire one's children to take care of their aging parents themselves.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
your genetics live on in your children

childless people have failed to pass on their dna

its the ultimate in beta behaviour

in the wild only the weak and retarded dont get to mate

same for humans

Mentally and physically disabled people do mate. Obviously the weak mate too. Proof of this is all around us.

8 INCH not biceps

• Getbig IV
  • On the road to weighing 300 pounds
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
Spent all of my 20s as a glorified caregiver, til my dad died from alz. Complications.

Safe to say ill never have kids

I would not do this I love my dad but he already lived his life and I am not going to waste my life being a caregiver to him I need to live my life, that is what nurses are for.

Elvis_McCartney

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
The majority of people who are having kids today will not have any inheritance for the kids to collect.  3 main reasons...

1. The cost of living is rising much faster than peoples wages are.
2. Dollar devaluation (i.e. inflation).  The dollars you earn/save now will not have the same purchasing power in the future.
3. The nursing home takes all the cash and liquefies your assets before the Medicare/Medicaid kicks in.

Sad but TRUE.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »
The last instance, which is correct, should inspire one's children to take care of their aging parents themselves.

Or, as stated, square their finances in advance (irrevocable trusts, etc) so that they qualify for state and federal aid.

Often, at times, taking care of an elderly parent is a full time task and requires expertise, and it's not in the best interest of either party for them to be cared for by the kids.
Y

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
Us bodybuilders can relax over this... None of us are living much past 70 anyway

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
I would not do this I love my dad but he already lived his life and I am not going to waste my life being a caregiver to him I need to live my life, that is what nurses are for.

Without a doubt, you echo the feelings of many living in the U.S. -Not so much in the rest of the world when taking care of one's parents is expected and provided.

You say you love your dad, which is good. If you knew that he was living in a situation where he was suffering abuse or one that was making daily life for him unbearable, would you still believe caring for him a waste of your time?

BTW, someone who is alive is still living their life, no matter how deplorable it becomes.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
They are all small and useless to us now...  ;D
a

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 10:42:22 AM »
They are all small and useless to us now...  ;D

Do you suppose your parents will disown you, if they haven't already done this?   ;)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:56 AM »
if you shop in aldi you have failed in life

maybe get a job where you can afford to buy decent shit

Nothing wrong with Aldi in US.  Good quality, great prices.
:

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »
I would never put either of my parents in a home.I was brought up to be that way and I bring my kids up the same way.Its how you raise your kids in the end and most people nowadays don't raise their kids.

My mom was a very independent woman and died of cancer last Nov.
She lived alone in the same apt for many years and considered it home.

When I was informed her death was near, my wife and I moved in with her for the last 2 weeks.
Shortly after our arrival , I knelt down and told her ;
" I'm here now and you're NOT going anywhere."

She smiled , kissed me on the forehead and replied ; " Thank you son."

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »

When I was informed her death was near, my wife and I moved in with her for the last 2 weeks.

Like your mom, my wife was very independent. After a very long illness, she died at home surrounded by her loving family.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »

Nowt wrong with Aldi in uk... If you want to pay 15/20% more elsewhere more fool you

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
re: point #3.   This happens, but if you are able to plan and rid yourself of your assets for five years prior, you can avoid this, at least in my state.

But I do know people who are getting hammered on these costs because of it.

There are risks associated with this too.  Your child could die and your assets would pass on to his/her spouse, or your child is sued, or your child's evil spouse talks him/her into stealing your assets.  You could lose it all either way.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
There are risks associated with this too.  Your child could die and your assets you pass to his/her spouse, or your child is sued, or your child's evil spouse talks him/her into stealing your assets.  You could lose it all either way.

The same is true for Oregon. Isn't it actually federal tax law? I believe a living trust works too.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
The same is true for Oregon. Isn't it actually federal tax law? I believe a living trust works too.

Don't really know about that.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
Not sure if OP is serious, but here is my serious answer:

you don't have children for yourself unless you're a complete fool, you have children because
- as an egoistic prick, you think you have some valuable knowledge/values/principles/beliefs you want to pass down to humanity and/or
- you want to give love to someone without even thinking about being paid back and/or
- you want to better understand yourself, as a human being, and to better understand your parents.

Your kids are not your property, neither are they an investment, nor are they here to take care of you. See it as some philosophical trip with its part of laughs and a ton of stress. Like any other philosophical trip of some sort.

Good post!

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »

That is how a good child would do it.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »

i was joking ffs  :-*
T

Ruffian

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
I do not expect my kids to take care of me when I get older. I do not know anyone who was placed in a nursing home by their kids. It seems that around here anyway, most people in a nursing home had no one to take care of them so they went into a nursing home.