Author Topic: Officials announce proposal that would establish California as separate nation  (Read 1956 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Idiots.

Officials announce proposal that would establish California as separate nation

Published January 27, 2017
FoxNews.com

A proposal for California to secede from the United States was submitted to the Secretary of State’s Office Thursday.

The proposed “Calexit” initiative - its name borrowed from the UK's "Brexit" departure from the EU - would ask voters to repeal part of the state constitution that declares California an inseparable part of the U.S.

A recent poll found that one in three California residents would support a possible secession from the U.S. due to their opposition to President Trump. No mention has been made of the president in the proposal.

If the proposal qualifies for the ballot and is approved by voters, it could be a step to a future vote on whether the state would break away from the rest of the nation.

Secretary of State Alex Padilla said the group behind the proposal, Yes California Independence Campaign, was cleared to begin attempting to collect nearly 600,000 voter signatures needed to place the plan on the ballot.

"In our view, the United States of America represents so many things that conflict with Californian values, and our continued statehood means California will continue subsidizing the other states to our own detriment, and to the detriment of our children," the Yes campaign's website says.

Similar attempts to establish California as a nation, or break it into multiple states, have failed.

The proposed constitutional amendment, titled California Nationhood, would also ask voters to repeal language that states the U.S. Constitution is the supreme law. If approved, it calls for scheduling a vote in 2019 to ask voters, "Should California become a free, sovereign and independent country?"

"America already hates California, and America votes on emotions," Marcus Evans, vice president of Yes California told the Los Angeles Times. "I think we'd have the votes today if we held it."

The campaign must submit the valid voter signatures by July 25 to qualify for the ballot.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/27/officials-announce-proposal-that-would-establish-california-as-separate-nation.html

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Idiots.

Officials announce proposal that would establish California as separate nation

Published January 27, 2017
FoxNews.com

A proposal for California to secede from the United States was submitted to the Secretary of State’s Office Thursday.

The proposed “Calexit” initiative - its name borrowed from the UK's "Brexit" departure from the EU - would ask voters to repeal part of the state constitution that declares California an inseparable part of the U.S.

A recent poll found that one in three California residents would support a possible secession from the U.S. due to their opposition to President Trump. No mention has been made of the president in the proposal.

If the proposal qualifies for the ballot and is approved by voters, it could be a step to a future vote on whether the state would break away from the rest of the nation.

Secretary of State Alex Padilla said the group behind the proposal, Yes California Independence Campaign, was cleared to begin attempting to collect nearly 600,000 voter signatures needed to place the plan on the ballot.

"In our view, the United States of America represents so many things that conflict with Californian values, and our continued statehood means California will continue subsidizing the other states to our own detriment, and to the detriment of our children," the Yes campaign's website says.

Similar attempts to establish California as a nation, or break it into multiple states, have failed.

The proposed constitutional amendment, titled California Nationhood, would also ask voters to repeal language that states the U.S. Constitution is the supreme law. If approved, it calls for scheduling a vote in 2019 to ask voters, "Should California become a free, sovereign and independent country?"

"America already hates California, and America votes on emotions," Marcus Evans, vice president of Yes California told the Los Angeles Times. "I think we'd have the votes today if we held it."

The campaign must submit the valid voter signatures by July 25 to qualify for the ballot.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/27/officials-announce-proposal-that-would-establish-california-as-separate-nation.html

:o

Erik C

• Getbig IV
Are they asking just Californians to vote if they want California to leave the USA, or are they asking the rest of the USA to vote if they want California to leave the USA?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
Will never happen. These corporations that are in California do a ton of business inside of the United States.

This is small minded idiots trying to prove something.

Morons.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Do it. Go.

falco

• Getbig V
He won the elections. Deal with it.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
Do it. Go.

You don't want that.

The revenue lost by the rest of the country would be massive. California's economy is bigger than most countries on the planet. The US couldn't stand to lose that revenue.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Damn. That'd be a much bigger wall...

a

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
You don't want that.

The revenue lost by the rest of the country would be massive. California's economy is bigger than most countries on the planet. The US couldn't stand to lose that revenue.

It would be worth it to get rid of those phaggots.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
You don't want that.

Not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely asking, but why would this be an issue? Doesn't California run at a massive debt? I didnt think they really manufactured anything other than movies and tech.

I have read that Texas could stand on its own, that it would be the 14th largest economy in the world.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
Not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely asking, but why would this be an issue? Doesn't California run at a massive debt? I didnt think they really manufactured anything other than movies and tech.

I have read that Texas could stand on its own, that it would be the 14th largest economy in the world.

Texas's economy is behind California's.

My point is that neither side wants this and it would be absolutely stupid.
Both California and Texas run at a debt. Most states actually do. So does New York many others.

It would be worth it to get rid of those phaggots.

Yes, because that makes sense.  ::)

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert

Both California and Texas run at a debt. Most states actually do. So does New York many others.

Roll your eyes if it makes you feel smart and superior but they can go for all I care.  I just hope they take you and all your shit-rat friends with them.

Fuck California.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Roll your eyes if it makes you feel smart and superior but they can go for all I care.  I just hope they take you and all your shit-rat friends with them.

Fuck California.

Trail of Tears Queers
a

Erik C

• Getbig IV
"California, the land of fruits and nuts."

"California is a 1000 miles long, 400 miles wide, and an inch deep."

"The country is tilted, and everything that is loose is rolling to California."

Some of my favorite quotes about California.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Stupid Faux News headline makes it sound like someone within the CA government is involved in this when it's nothing more than a private citizen submitting a proposal for a ballot initiative.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V

Fuck California.

I'd put more eye rolling in here, but I don't feel like spending the time to annotate the amount of stupid that this post presents.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
California as a sovereign state = high debt, high unemployment, high levels of crime, even higher taxes etc etc

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
Will never happen. These corporations that are in California do a ton of business inside of the United States.

This is small minded idiots trying to prove something.

Morons.

Also, it would require an amendment to the constitution, requiring 2/3 of congress and ¾ of the states.  This would not occur because the loss of 55 electoral votes would tilt presidential elections in favor of Republicans - forever - and Dems don't want that. 

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Put the wall at Nevada.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Keep re-electing Marxists to run this state with majority of dumbass supporters following them, the entire state will be no better than Detroit or Chicago.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
The proposed constitutional amendment, titled California Nationhood, would also ask voters to repeal language that states the U.S. Constitution is the supreme law.

Meaningless. The Constitution, itself, establishes its supremacy in the aptly named "Supremacy Clause":

"This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."

If approved, it calls for scheduling a vote in 2019 to ask voters, "Should California become a free, sovereign and independent country?"

The question of secession is settled: it's not possible. The only option that can allow California to become a "free, sovereign and independent country" involves a bunch of effeminate men and their hairy womyn leaders waging and winning a war against the United States. Yeah... that's happening.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Needless to say, what the Founding Fathers had in mind, when developing the concept of a federal government, was that States adhere to the Union willingly. The Civil War did away with all that bullshit and what was once adherence to the Union gradually mutated into the federal government extirpating all the powers out of the State's governments. Federalists basically took over the Union. And that's that.

Californians have a right to seek independence. I can't even imagine what it's like to see so much of your money being confiscated by the federal government and basically given to states where people literally live in fucking stone age conditions with little to no appetite for a better life but a pick up truck, taking the pregnant 14 year old girlfriend out to Applebees, confederate flag flying high and their nasty outright hostility to outsiders.

Fuck em.

tonymctones

• Getbig V

http://www.businessinsider.com/state-economy-ranking-july-2015-2015-7/#3-district-of-columbia-44444444444444444449

I don't know how accurate this is but it ranks California 11th

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Oh god....this is about nothing.  This has happened in almost every state over the years...many times in Texas.  Anyone can submit a proposal....to make news out of it is stupid
A