Author Topic: Biggest dam in USA to collapse... 130k evacuated  (Read 6794 times)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Biggest dam in USA to collapse... 130k evacuated
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
On my mobile here, brå  ;D

Anyway, situation seems to have stabilized.

Didnt know you were a scandinavian mass243 :D
Q

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »
Didnt know you were a scandinavian mass243 :D

Well, Svenska is mandatory here  8)

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
Same applies to everyone having somewhat developed and mature infra.

No one has the kind of money/resources it woult take today to repair everything. Costs are so high.
We may need to reintroduce slavery if we want everything repaired.

That's not quite accurate.
I've lived in 3 European countries, Canada, and now the U.S. I love many things about the life and culture here, but so far the two things that have shocked me the most are the rapacious nature of the healthcare system (drugs, tests etc are all so much cheaper when self funded in any other country that I've lived in) and the terrible state of the infrastructure (roads, airports, and now it seems dams).

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 11:03:30 AM »
While on this subject, I'd like to recommend a book about a major dam catastrophy that occurred in Southern California in the early 1900s.

The book is entitled "FLOODPATH" and explains in great detail how and why the San Francisquito Dam broke away releasing about 13 billion galons of water killing somewhat close to 500 people during the water's 52 mile rush to the Pacific Ocean.

Interesting to note that the dam's architect and builder was none other that Mulholland who inspected the dam after receiving a phone call form the dam caretaker who told him that the dam was leaking.

Hours later Mulholland showed up and inspected the leak and assured one and all that  the small leak was not a problem.

At a couple of minutes before midnight that same night the dam broke killing all in its 52 mile path until it terminated in the Pacific at Ventura.

A recommended read which goes into considerable detail regarding how  a good number of individuals died and some unbelievable life savers.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
While on this subject, I'd like to recommend a book about a major dam catastrophy that occurred in Southern California in the early 1900s.

The book is entitled "FLOODPATH" and explains in great detail how and why the San Francisquito Dam broke away releasing about 13 billion galons of water killing somewhat close to 500 people during the water's 52 mile rush to the Pacific Ocean.

Interesting to note that the dams architect and builder was none other that Mulholland who inspected the dam after receiving a phone call form the dam caretaker who told him that the dam was leaking.

Hours later Mulholland showed up and inspected the leak and assured one and all that  the small leak was not a problem.

At a couple of minutes before midnight the dam broke killing ll in its 52 mile path until it terminated in the Pacific at Ventura.

AL recommended read which goes into considerable detail regarding how  a good number of individuals died and some unbelievable life savers.
He insp

after reading your summary, is there much more in the book?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
Jerry "Moonbaby" Brown now begging for Federal Assistance after saying he'll fight Trump.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
Run for your life!

Idiotic nothing event. Vince Goodrum will win the Olympia before that dam or spillway suffers a catastrophic failure. 
a

Hack Benchers

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »
USA cookie cutter dams LOL!!!!!!!! Yanky build crap!!! All plywood and staples!!

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
Someone said the situation is dire, someone else said it's not as bad because the rain has subsided.

Current weather forecast is rain from Thursday through Monday, so it may be ok if it drops and has the ability to hold the next 4 days of rain.

If not, then there could be a problem. Time will tell.

Mother Nature always gets her way in the end.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
a

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 06:37:37 PM »
DEN, No! What I wrote above is just the tip of the iceberg. FLOODPATH is one book that I could not put down and read it within 24 hours.

Mulholland was a major figurehead in Los Angeles back then and was the main individual responsible for the city's immense growth.

And it covers his downfall after that major catastrophy plus a lot of the history of the  early Los Angeles area which had no water for the growing population. ... and how that problem was solved.

If you lived within the LA basin you would really enjoy it.

But ask most LA residents about the St Francis Dam catastrophy and they'd have no idea what you're talking about.Most probably don't even know where their water is coming from.

I'm surprised that Hollywood never made a major movie about this interesting time when the LA area was first getting popular..

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »
Rain and Rubble
Snowmelt and thunder
Let califags huddle