Author Topic: So I need back surgery  (Read 7464 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
So I need back surgery
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »
I been having lower back pain for a while, especially hurts like a mofo went I workout. Went to doctor and he is saying he wants to do a fucking fusion on my lower back. He said that I'm really young to need a fusion and that it could mean that the others discs will need to be fused in the future. WTF? Any of you guys got a fusion? How long did you you have to stay out of the gym? Could this be cause be me working out since I was 12yo? Bad beta form or something?
A

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Re: So I need back surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:16:10 PM »
I been having lower back pain for a while, especially hurts like a mofo went I workout. Went to doctor and he is saying he wants to do a fucking fusion on my lower back. He said that I'm really young to need a fusion and that it could mean that the others discs will need to be fused in the future. WTF? Any of you guys got a fusion? How long did you you have to stay out of the gym? Could this be cause be me working out since I was 12yo? Bad beta form or something?

My c & t-spine is fucked, and I have a slipped/bulging disc in my lumbar (which really doesn't bother me at all), & ill probably NEVER have surgery. I've trained hundreds upon hundreds of ppl over the past 17 yrs, athletes and non-athletes, & I don't know anybody out of the maybe 2 dozen ppl who've had back/neck surgery who were happy with it. Most regret it.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:18:22 PM »
get a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion first.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »
ur so fragile.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »
Try not to get it. Talk to Walter white he's extremely helpful great dude. My necks fucked up I'm trying to avoid fusion surgery.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:44:53 PM »

This x100 !

Once they cut you... you're fucked.  Give it a rest.  Lighten up the weights and do high reps to keep the blood flowing.  Only do chest braced row movements.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 04:57:43 PM »

This x100 !

Once they cut you... you're fucked.  Stop working out and give it a rest... only do chest braced row movements.

Great advice.  Surgeons make their money by performing surgeries.  It is always the first option they will offer you.  

In my early 20's, I lost my sense of smell.  I went to an ENT who said I suffered from nasal polyps that were blocking my sinuses and olfactory bulbs.  He immediately suggested surgery and asked me when I would like to schedule it.  I asked him if maybe I should see an allergist first?  He said, "You can if you want, but you will still need the surgery."  He promised it would clear my sinuses and give me back my smell.  I reluctantly agreed and scheduled the surgery.  The surgery sucked balls and did nothing for me.  Still no smell, and still had trouble breathing through my nose.

A year later, I found an allergist and started getting allergy injections.  The allergist did far more for me than the ENT.  I still don't have a sense of smell, but I can at least breath through my nose normally now.  

Back fusion surgery is not a small surgery.  Get a second and third opinion.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »
This. Avoid surgery at all costs
U

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »
Try not to get it. Talk to Walter white he's extremely helpful great dude. My necks fucked up I'm trying to avoid fusion surgery.

Thanks I try to help as many as I can because I know how insanely painful c spine injuries can be.  I also have lumbar problems.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »
Read Dr. John Sarno's book
U

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »
Did you tried a different mattress?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »
Rule 1: get a second opinion from an MD

Rule 2: don't take advice from getbiggers regarding medical concerns or any important decision in life.
X

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »
Rule 1: get a second opinion from an MD

Rule 2: don't take advice from getbiggers regarding medical concerns or any important decision in life.

Pretty smart that you start with 'rule' instead of 'advice'

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »
My back is all messed up..
I need surgery also..
I almost had it..
But decided not too..

I started lifting lighter.. smarter..
No more squats or leg press..
Had to lose weight / muscle which helps..
Also try DDP yoga.. that shit works..
My wife bought it for me.. and it fucking helps...
to get your quality of life back..

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 06:21:30 PM »
I need surgery also..
I almost had it..
But decided not too..

Restorative yoga is the real deal
U

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
That is major surgery.  Wondering if it will take away the pain but will eliminate lifting weights for life? Do it as a last option. Get other opinions and make sure it's an orthopedic surgeon that specializes and not an orthopedic surgeon that operates on every joint. Just consult a back only orthopedic surgeon.

Not a doctor and hopefully not giving bro advice.  This is what I would do for my self if I were in your situation. It might be completely wrong and dangerous for you. I would just walk every day for a month to 6 weeks and nothing else.  Not a mile stroll but make it a workout 5 to 6 days a week. It will keep my cardio in check. It will keep body weight on my spine making the support muscles stronger.  If possible walk an hour a day.  From there when ready add body weight exercises like push ups, body weight inverted rows, dips, pull ups, burpees if possible and few others. Introduce gentle stretching.  Maybe from there hopefully I would be able to do slow cadence light weight relatively high rep lifting. Nothing that will aggravate the back.

I'll tell you what happened to me a couple of years ago.  Injured my shoulder horrible doing pull ups. I couldn't put on a coat without white lightening pain that I  thought would make me pass out.  Saw an orthopedic surgeon. He told me I had a slap tear in need of repair.  I sat on that for about 2 weeks and then the pain started to subside somewhat.  I did my own rehab with super baby weights when the pain went down.  Fast forward. The shoulder is good now.

Now last month I was in the hospital with pneumonia with IV antibiotics. The drug they used is notorious for attacking tendons. When I got out of the hospital about two weeks later I started lifting light.  Now the other shoulder went with similar pain.  I couldn't lift my arm over head without seeing stars.  Saw the same orthopedic surgeon. I trust the guy. He fixed a bicep rupture I had over a decade ago.  The MRI showed the  same thing that he saw on the other shoulder, a slap tear of the labrum. This time he said it wasn't significant enough to operate on.  The doc knows me and he said give it a rest for 2 months then gently rehab it.  He told me what rehab place to go to but he laughed saying I rehabbed the other shoulder and he knew I would do this one too.  

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »

This. Avoid surgery at all costs
I need surgery also..
I almost had it..
But decided not too..

yeah, I don't have my back fused. I'm I have appt with another doctor in a few weeks. Surgery doctor told me to try yoga and pilates and see if it helps.
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 08:25:29 PM »
That is major surgery.  Wondering if it will take away the pain but will eliminate lifting weights for life? Do it as a last option. Get other opinions and make sure it's an orthopedic surgeon that specializes and not an orthopedic surgeon that operates on every joint. Just consult a back only orthopedic surgeon.

Not a doctor and hopefully not giving bro advice.  This is what I would do for my self if I were in your situation. It might be completely wrong and dangerous for you. I would just walk every day for a month to 6 weeks and nothing else.  Not a mile stroll but make it a workout 5 to 6 days a week. It will keep my cardio in check. It will keep body weight on my spine making the support muscles stronger.  If possible walk an hour a day.  From there when ready add body weight exercises like push ups, body weight inverted rows, dips, pull ups, burpees if possible and few others. Introduce gentle stretching.  Maybe from there hopefully I would be able to do slow cadence light weight relatively high rep lifting. Nothing that will aggravate the back.

I'll tell you what happened to me a couple of years ago.  Injured my shoulder horrible doing pull ups. I couldn't put on a coat without white lightening pain that I  thought would make me pass out.  Saw an orthopedic surgeon. He told me I had a slap tear in need of repair.  I sat on that for about 2 weeks and then the pain started to subside somewhat.  I did my own rehab with super baby weights when the pain went down.  Fast forward. The shoulder is good now.

Now last month I was in the hospital with pneumonia with IV antibiotics. The drug they used is notorious for attacking tendons. When I got out of the hospital about two weeks later I started lifting light.  Now the other shoulder went with similar pain.  I couldn't lift my arm over head without seeing stars.  Saw the same orthopedic surgeon. I trust the guy. He fixed a bicep rupture I had over a decade ago.  The MRI showed the  same thing that he saw on the other shoulder, a slap tear of the labrum. This time he said it wasn't significant enough to operate on.  The doc knows me and he said give it a rest for 2 months then gently rehab it.  He told me what rehab place to go to but he laughed saying I rehabbed the other shoulder and he knew I would do this one too.  
Damn dude, I'm glad you feel better now.
The fucked up thing is now my back is starting to hurt if I walk for a long time.
A

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Great advice.  Surgeons make their money by performing surgeries.  It is always the first option they will offer you.  

Definitely not, insurances won't cover it if other less-invasive modalities haven't been exhausted first

There's really nothing any of us could tell you that would help, this is a complicated issue & every case is unique.  Inform yourself and make the best decision you can with the information you have available

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »
put feet high on wall n raise body do 30 to 50 reps a day, back fixed n 3days
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 09:02:53 PM »
Definitely not, insurances won't cover it if other less-invasive modalities haven't been exhausted first

There's really nothing any of us could tell you that would help, this is a complicated issue & every case is unique.  Inform yourself and make the best decision you can with the information you have available
the first thing they offered was pain meds, then PT ( which i declined, then back shots, then yoga, and then cutting.
A

DanzigBrah

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »
Now would be the perfect time to go for a new PR on deadlifts.

Victor Venice Beach

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 10:11:22 PM »
Dont do the fucking surgery, Doctor will fuck u up for life! Go threw the pain, it will be ook within 2 3 4 years...body heal.

My experience is that since the medical system I the states is what it is all doctors recommend surgery bcz its generate money. In my country, Sweden, doctors never talk about surgery...bcz we have a different heath insurance system. And in most cases a doctor isn't really involved with back neck problem, u get to se a physic therapist...and all of them is against surgery, bcz they know body fix it with time...