Author Topic: What Triggered Vince McMahon To Do What He Did In The 80's?  (Read 5498 times)

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
What Triggered Vince McMahon To Do What He Did In The 80's?
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:07:54 AM »
Greed? Why did he alienate himself from all other promoters and start going into their territories? It seemed as though he just didn't care about anyone else but himself. I remember hearing the Samoans talk about how he would sign them to a five year contract but never book them in a match. Then when they needed money and would wrestle for someone else he would nail them for breach of contract.

Vince was cutthroat in a business where everyone had a piece of the pie. The Communism of Pro Wrestling. If Vince wasn't around would it have been Crockett taking over the nation even though I believe Crockett didn't have it in him?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: What Triggered Vince McMahon To Do What He Did In The 80's?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 06:45:10 AM »
Greed? Why did he alienate himself from all other promoters and start going into their territories? It seemed as though he just didn't care about anyone else but himself. I remember hearing the Samoans talk about how he would sign them to a five year contract but never book them in a match. Then when they needed money and would wrestle for someone else he would nail them for breach of contract.

Vince was cutthroat in a business where everyone had a piece of the pie. The Communism of Pro Wrestling. If Vince wasn't around would it have been Crockett taking over the nation even though I believe Crockett didn't have it in him?
I wouldn't say greed as I would say "vision".

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »
One of my favorite topics...

Vince saw opportunity in evolution. Pro-wrestling, as it was, was going the way of Vaudeville.

Lots of people blame VKM for killing the business, but the business was dying regardless of his actions. All of the territories were drying up BEFORE he bought their top talent. In some ways, Vince Jr. actually saved pro-wrestling from extinction.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »
What's interesting is how these independent contracts work.  They are very one sided,  it would seem b to be illegal.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »
One of my favorite topics...

Vince saw opportunity in evolution. Pro-wrestling, as it was, was going the way of Vaudeville.

Lots of people blame VKM for killing the business, but the business was dying regardless of his actions. All of the territories were drying up BEFORE he bought their top talent. In some ways, Vince Jr. actually saved pro-wrestling from extinction.

What bothers me about this topic is how everyone backs Vince and praises him over his talent purge of the 80's...but when Eric Bishoff did the exact same thing in 1996 it was called "Selling out" or "Greed". Gimme a break...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »
What bothers me about this topic is how everyone backs Vince and praises him over his talent purge of the 80's...but when Eric Bishoff did the exact same thing in 1996 it was called "Selling out" or "Greed". Gimme a break...

Well...and, this is just pure conjecture on my part... VKM at least came from a wrestling background and had a clue. Eric's plan seemed to be just keep spending money in hopes it would work.

I'm not entirely blaming Bischoff, either. "Somebody" gave him the trust and power to do all of that.
Probably the same dumb-ass who gave Russo absolute power.

Funny how whoever was given a chance at manning the ship always blames someone else. Listening to them, it's NOBODY'S fault.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »

Well...and, this is just pure conjecture on my part... VKM at least came from a wrestling background and had a clue. Eric's plan seemed to be just keep spending money in hopes it would work.

I'm not entirely blaming Bischoff, either. "Somebody" gave him the trust and power to do all of that.
Probably the same dumb-ass who gave Russo absolute power.

Funny how whoever was given a chance at manning the ship always blames someone else. Listening to them, it's NOBODY'S fault.
IMO the real reason why WCW failed was because of Vince Russo. As soon as he arrived with Ed Farrara in late '98 early '99, that is when the brutal ideas and bookings cost that company big time. Also by then, the top tier road agents with wrestling experience had quit do to their frustration and the shit rolled down hill.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 06:18:33 AM »
IMO the real reason why WCW failed was because of Vince Russo. As soon as he arrived with Ed Farrara in late '98 early '99, that is when the brutal ideas and bookings cost that company big time. Also by then, the top tier road agents with wrestling experience had quit do to their frustration and the shit rolled down hill.

I certainly agree that Russo/Farrara were major contributors to the demise, but there were people above them who could and should have stepped in to intervene.

I forget the exact chronology, but whether it was Ted Turner or whoever, they should have recognized and addressed the problems before those problems reached the point of folding the company.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »

I certainly agree that Russo/Farrara were major contributors to the demise, but there were people above them who could and should have stepped in to intervene.

I forget the exact chronology, but whether it was Ted Turner or whoever, they should have recognized and addressed the problems before those problems reached the point of folding the company.

It was designed to fail. You guys know the history Turner used WCW for tax purposes. It wasn't run as a true business. It wasnt designed to be profitable, WCW didn't receive ad revenue, had no merchandising and so much more.

The fact that ATM eric was ever profitable is amazing.

WCW died when Turner lost power. Period.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 05:06:57 AM »
It was designed to fail. You guys know the history Turner used WCW for tax purposes. It wasn't run as a true business. It wasnt designed to be profitable, WCW didn't receive ad revenue, had no merchandising and so much more.

The fact that ATM eric was ever profitable is amazing.

WCW died when Turner lost power. Period.
Lol..."ATM Eric"...good one bro.  ;D
He shelled out some serious coin just to try and bury vince.