Author Topic: Trump is right to cut PBS/NPR funding. It's just elitist propaganda anyway  (Read 4115 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Sesame Street and Mr Rogers is elitist propaganda????  Come on now Coach, really???
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Sesame Street and Mr Rogers is elitist propaganda????  Come on now Coach, really???

Do we need Sesame Street?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Do we need Sesame Street?

it's a bit over your head but you have to start somewhere

after than you can work your way up to NOVA and Frontline which are both fantastic

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
it's a bit over your head but you have to start somewhere

after than you can work your way up to NOVA and Frontline which are both fantastic

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/

Yes, I'm sure you're so cultured. Yes, I've seen both of those and even watch shows on there. But I'm sure if theres demand for it, it could sustain itself.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Coach, PBS is an educational channel that cost Americans 1.35 a year.  I consider it an investment in child development.  Sesame Street teaches millions of kids about letters and numbers and Mr Rogers taught kindness and respect for human beings so they don't turn out to be assholes.

The funding will be made up through public donations but its very sad that this is happening.
A

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Keep Mr. Rogers up and running and do away with the rest.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
There is no "life or death " reasons to fund PBS, the arts, etc.
BUT I think you're missing the BIG picture here.
It' a lot easier to  cut things ,then it is to build a lasting legacy.

EVERY great President has done things that helped improve the quality of life for the public.
Teddy Roosevelt is on Mt Rushmore and is admired for his public preservation with the National Parks.
FDR invested 2 billion in the WWII project giving the USA the first atomic bomb.
Eisenhower administrated the Interstate Hwy system, still used today.
JFK got the nation in high gear with NASA , space exploration, which led to a US man on the moon.
None of the above , made a profit. All they did was help make our nation the greatest in history.

ONLY the Federal  Government has the money and resources to do the really BIG things that matter.
For example, the US military is 100% run and funded by the US Gov and dept of defense.
No private fighting force comes close.

The nations greatest leaders are often remembered for  the legacy the leave behind .

Awesome Howard, since then we have the Internet and cable to fill those government funded money pits.

Skeeter

Coach, PBS is an educational channel that cost Americans 1.35 a year.  I consider it an investment in child development.  Sesame Street teaches millions of kids about letters and numbers and Mr Rogers taught kindness and respect for human beings so they don't turn out to be assholes.

The funding will be made up through public donations but its very sad that this is happening.

Coach clearly missed that episode.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Coach is right on this one.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Coach is right on this one.

what is our phony coach right about ?

govt shouldn't fund art, or shouldn't fund PBS/NPR or something else?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
what is our phony coach right about ?

govt shouldn't fund art, or shouldn't fund PBS/NPR or something else?

Shouldn't find pbs. Forces taxpayers to pay for a media outlet that has an agenda that they may not agree with. They can find their own funding source just like every other broadcasting entity.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
The new proposed budget also plans to defund  a couple programs that can't be replaced by the internet.

Why anyone would consider "Meals on Wheels" or the NIH a waste of $$ puzzles me.

My  mother was the executive director of the Community Council for Senior Citizens.
One part of that job was supervision of the area "Meals on Wheels" program.
I spent some time each summer as a volunteer delivery helper, when I was a high school student.
EVERY person I delivered a meal to, was  elderly and/or disabled.
The new budget director said this program had no impact, WTF??? That's just insane.
Plus, this is such a tiny drop in the federal budget, why cut it?

Before she passed away my sister was the dept chair for Internal medicine at Ohio State Medical school and research center.
As an internist , her dept did a lot of serious work on treating various forms of cancer.
She had a 1 on 1 meeting with former HHS sec. Kathleen Sebelius over NIH funding for the center.
I doubt anyone would think  funding medical research to cure cancer and other diseases , was a waste of $$.

A sizeable % of conservative republicans proudly claim to be devout Christians .
I'm no theology expert, but I do know the basic info in the Bible.
I've read the "Sermon on the Mount".
Jesus felt feeding others, healing the sick and helping the poor was kinda important. ;)

If you feel that strongly, then donate.
a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
I was a volunteer for meals on wheels as a delivery driver/helper.
The food is paid for by fed/state grants.
In my opinion, delivering a hot meal to a shut in elderly person is money well spent.
Having worked for a program my own mom supervised gave me some personal insight.
If you don't think this is a program worth GOV funding, I don't know what else I can say?

With all due respect , thinking donations can fund 100% of the NIH is just plain wrong.
My sis explained the process to me once and there is a LOT to it.

Imagine the Apollo moon project depending on private donations?
It's unlikely we'd ever have left the launch pad.

Imagine trying to make the 1st atomic bomb from scratch with private funding?
It's likely the USSR or Nazi's would have gotten the 1st a-bomb.

Now, imagine a 90 yr old shut in, needing donations to fund a visit with a daily hot meat?
Maybe she goes a few weeks each year without one.
To me, that shouldn't be an optional service.

Perhaps, you disagree, but to me, feeding the elderly and finding the cure for cancer is worth federal funding

::)
a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
The roll your eyes avatar is funny, but those feeding old folks and curing disease isn't.
For me, these issues are deeply personal and serious as the proverbial heart attack.

I'm not sure how old you are, but in 1988 Gov Dukakis(D) made a major mistake running for POTUS.
He was asked, what would he do , if some maniac raped and murdered his wife, Kitty?
Dukakis is a smart intellectual and gave a cold, analytical answer based on violent crime sentencing guidelines.
He was against the "death penalty" and let that philosophy determine his answer.

He should have manned up and said, " I'd want the man dead. " PERIOD.

That answer combined with his Willie Horton prison furlough and snoopy tank video, sunk his campaign.

Moral to the story- regardless of the policy, being seen as a cold , calculating official = lack of public support.

1. Social Security, Medicaid  should be taking care of the old/poor.  "Meals on Wheels" (oh brother) gets like 3% of their funding from federal grants.

2. Pharmaceutical Companies and Universities have no problem w/ acquiring money.

Sure, it all sounds good; but we should be governing with our heads instead of our hearts.
a

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
We dont need govt funding Big Bird and Ernie

They funded Gaybama and Mobacca - thats enough. 

Ruffian

• Getbig II
You are right Howard, so many of these Christian Conservatives have no idea of what it is to be Christian. The main thing Jesus preached about was helping others especially the poor. These tiny cuts in these programs will have no affect on national debt but they will affect a good number of people in a very negative way.

The new proposed budget also plans to defund  a couple programs that can't be replaced by the internet.

Why anyone would consider "Meals on Wheels" or the NIH a waste of $$ puzzles me.

My  mother was the executive director of the Community Council for Senior Citizens.
One part of that job was supervision of the area "Meals on Wheels" program.
I spent some time each summer as a volunteer delivery helper, when I was a high school student.
EVERY person I delivered a meal to, was  elderly and/or disabled.
The new budget director said this program had no impact, WTF??? That's just insane.
Plus, this is such a tiny drop in the federal budget, why cut it?

Before she passed away my sister was the dept chair for Internal medicine at Ohio State Medical school and research center.
As an internist , her dept did a lot of serious work on treating various forms of cancer.
She had a 1 on 1 meeting with former HHS sec. Kathleen Sebelius over NIH funding for the center.
I doubt anyone would think  funding medical research to cure cancer and other diseases , was a waste of $$.

A sizeable % of conservative republicans proudly claim to be devout Christians .
I'm no theology expert, but I do know the basic info in the Bible.
I've read the "Sermon on the Mount".
Jesus felt feeding others, healing the sick and helping the poor was kinda important. ;)

The Ugly

• Getbig V

Obviously the problem.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
1. The little bit from the fed really helps Meals on Wheels remain a viable program.
With all due respect, you seem very detached and ignorant of how this program works.
I actually worked as a volunteer in this program and my mom was the program director.
In all modesty, this is one area I have some practical information and personal experience with.

2. AGAIN , you are poorly informed, if you think drug companies finance a lot of the disease cures/treatments.
Yes, they finance various drugs , from development to clinical trials.
The pharmaceutical end , is only one part of disease research.

Yamcha ,
I don't know you personally and it's unlikely we'll ever meet in person.
While it would be nice to speak to you in person, the nature of internet forums rarely result in that.
I have no idea what your background or life experience is.

Suffice to say my real life experiences in various endeavors, helped shape my world view and political opinions.
I've seen 1st hand how programs like "meals on wheels" makes a huge difference in a senior citizens life.
I know from my own sister how NIH grants allow for better research that may cure horrible diseases.
I know what it likes to be an enlisted marine and how politics can decide if you're placed in harms way.

Dwight D Eisenhower was a great President ( in my opinion).
Before that he was the commanding Gen of the famous D-Day invasion.
Despite all the planning and logistics he never forgot the personal cost of that mission.

On the day before the paratroopers were flown into battle, he mingled amongst the men .
He offered cigarettes , good will and a pat on the back.

If you only govern with your head, you'll never leave a great legacy or be loved by those you lead.

Healing the sick, feeding the hungry and giving to the poor are when we act our best as humans.

None of this should be the Federal Government's job. (except for federal grants to research for Universitys/etc.)

That's my opinion. There is far too many instances of financial waste/fraud when government gets involved.

P.S. - I've delivered for meals on wheels too... doesn't give your opinion, or my opinion, any more weight.

I'd love my Government leaders when they lower my taxes, and start doing more with less; I understand you come from the world of academia, you should know throwing money at an issue doesn't solve anything.
a

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Keep Mr. Rogers up and running and do away with the rest.

A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Good show for kids.

But I never understood why he came in , took off his suit coat and put on that bulky sweater?

Sweater showed off his v-taper better. (Bodybuilding related)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Good show for kids.

But I never understood why he came in , took off his suit coat and put on that bulky sweater?

To show that he was coming home from work not to mention that it was a kids show.  Kids are usually excited when their parents get home and that's why the format was that way.  All of his sweaters he wore were actually knitted by his mother.
A

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
Don't know if anyone has actually WATCHED PBS lately but its a FAR cry from the old days of Sesame street and mr rogers..

Its ALL 100000% Libtard brainwashing now...

Watch it and you'll see..

Why do I want to pay for more liberal sheep brainwashing? ... no thanks

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Sesame Street just announced the addition of a character with autism. The favorite disorder of the illuminati.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Could this very accurate depiction of Trump and his business dealings have anything to do with why he wants to slash pbs funding?
[ Invalid YouTube link ]