Author Topic: Bill Pearl destroying Sergio  (Read 10077 times)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Bill Pearl destroying Sergio
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
Yet Joe Weider wanted Arnold to lose a lot of his mass when he came over to the US and weighed 250-260 pounds. He lost in 1969 to Sergio when he weighed 250 and was forced to lose 20 pounds and step onstage at 230 pounds to win his first Mr. O in 1970. Not sure how much guys were pushing mass when you had lean bodybuilders like Robbie Robinson, Frank Zane, Boyer Coe, Ken Waller, Bill Grant, Serge Nubret, Albert Beckles, etc.

Wasn't so much mass, but they didn't want too lean. You had guys writing articles with titles like "An Overdose of Definition?", and the older guys would make little comments about waists being a bit too thin, and wondering how they'd do in the Olympic Press. Or they'd comment on pecs looking too feminine, etc..... It was sorting itself out by the 70's, but back in Pearl's prime, there were still some that looked on it with that type of eye.

Also got better for pure bodybuilders with the shift toward Weider controlling it, rather then Hoffman/York Barbell.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: Bill Pearl destroying Sergio
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2017, 09:59:19 PM »
I gave Bill Pearl a lifetime achievement award at one of my contests in 2011 and he was in awesome shape at 81 years old. He's a big guy, very healthy and strong. When he was in his prime, he was one of the best and biggest bodybuilders in the world. Pearl and Reg Park set new standards when it came to muscle mass and size back in the '60's. Bill is also one of the nicest and most genuine people I've ever met in the bodybuilding world. Just total class and professionalism.

Aren't you 5'8?

So Pearl is still like 6'0?

Looks great for 86.  I was surprised to read that he is even still alive.  Wow, that's awesome.  Long life.  Nice.