Author Topic: Homeowners son defends himself against 3 intruders with "high capacity" AR-15  (Read 9068 times)

Twaddle

• Getbig V
A reliable revolver is really all anyone needs.   :-\

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
you poor brainwashed faggets really think your guns are protecting you when all the credible data shows that the residents of homes without guns are far and away safer than those in homes with guns.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
you poor brainwashed faggets really think your guns are protecting you when all the credible data shows that the residents of homes without guns are far and away safer than those in homes with guns.

Please show this data.

How can any study know what house does or does not have a gun? Most states do not require registrations for handguns or shotguns, so I would wonder how they collect this "data" you speak of.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
these stats have been cited for years and are incredibly misleading.

They include domestic violence with guns and suicides. Domestic violence doesn't occur b/c of guns and neither do suicides. These issues would be there with or without the gun.

It also only cites instances where a gun is fired as being used in self defense. Anybody who knows anything about guns knows that you don't have to use it for it to be a deterrent.

Guns are used a lot more in self defense every year than there are deaths from guns...even taking into account suicides which are the majority of gun deaths.

Conker

• Getbig IV
Please show this data.

How can any study know what house does or does not have a gun? Most states do not require registrations for handguns or shotguns, so I would wonder how they collect this "data" you speak of.

there's one for you

"we found that keeping a gun in the home was strongly and independently associated with an increased risk of homicide (adjusted odds ratio, 2.7; 95 percent confidence interval, 1.6 to 4.4). Virtually all of this risk involved homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance."

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199310073291506

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
there's one for you

"we found that keeping a gun in the home was strongly and independently associated with an increased risk of homicide (adjusted odds ratio, 2.7; 95 percent confidence interval, 1.6 to 4.4). Virtually all of this risk involved homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance."

Damn. You had to pull out a 25 year old paper to show that if you have a gun in the house and family members get into a heated argument, that someone may die.

Holy shit.

Conker

• Getbig IV
these stats have been cited for years and are incredibly misleading.

They include domestic violence with guns and suicides. Domestic violence doesn't occur b/c of guns and neither do suicides. These issues would be there with or without the gun.

It also only cites instances where a gun is fired as being used in self defense. Anybody who knows anything about guns knows that you don't have to use it for it to be a deterrent.

Guns are used a lot more in self defense every year than there are deaths from guns...even taking into account suicides which are the majority of gun deaths.

they're peer reviewed studies.

but you'd prefer to dismiss them and instead listen to the mumbo jumbo propagated by those making billions off the back of the gun trade. 

Conker

• Getbig IV
Damn. You had to pull out a 25 year old paper to show that if you have a gun in the house and family members get into a heated argument, that someone may die.

Holy shit.

you think 'things' have drastically changed since then?

there's several more recent ones if you care to look

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
you think 'things' have drastically changed since then?

there's several more recent ones if you care to look

I think that crime as a whole has decreased drastically over the past 30 years. In all ways.

Also, they mention that drugs are a big factor in the rates related to homicides of other family members.

Those statistics are only looking at people killed by guns in the home as well, it requires a victim. The fact that none of these studies can really determine is how many people own guns because those are numbers that you can not know.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Impossible to determine the protective and preventative value involved, yeah.

Anyone honestly thinking about it, should see the whole thing is built on lies and distortion.  Not even close.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
there's one for you

CONCLUSIONS
The use of illicit drugs and a history of physical fights in the home are important risk factors for homicide in the home. Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.

So, let me get this straight.  Gun owners, who use drugs and have a history of physical fights within the home, or at an increased risk of homicide in their house?   ???

Absolutely shocking!  I'm going to sell all of my guns immediately.   ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

PM Sent ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
and well regulated too

don't forget that part

btw - just so there is no confusion (I know people like to change me argument to whatever it is they want to defend - not saying you're doing that but just want to be clear)....I have no issue with guns, gun ownership, self defense, etc.

just pointing out the fact that large capacity magazines are used in many mass shooting events yet I don't see cops using them or any evidence that they are needed for home defense

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/high-capacity-magazines-mass-shootings

Now, if anyone wants to dispute that and show some proof that if fine with me

What should be done?

I assume the conclusion of this board is absolutely nothing

I'm fine with that.

That's settle the debate once and for all

Mass shootings will continue to happen in this country, they are a part of life and there is nothing we can do about it.

In fact, they are so common in this country that it's kind of our thing.  It's just part of life in this country kind of like obesity and diabetes

Anyone disagree with that

Pretty sure cops use the standard 30 rnd mags, have extra rounds in their shotguns and carry probably 17 rounds in their 9mm pistols.
What should be done? Make it easier for people that want to carry a weapon legally to have the ability to do so. (with proper training of course)

I wouldn't say mass shootings are common considering the sheer number of guns in this country, both legal and illegal.

Once again, laws only apply to those willing to obey them. Law abiding citizens suffer when criminals can and do have access to weapons and materials that are deemed illegal for the common folk.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
CONCLUSIONS
The use of illicit drugs and a history of physical fights in the home are important risk factors for homicide in the home. Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.

So, let me get this straight.  Gun owners, who use drugs and have a history of physical fights within the home, or at an increased risk of homicide in their house?   ???

Exactly!!!

These studies basically blame domestic violence on the fact there's a gun in the home. You mean if you are abusing you're family that you're more likely to shoot them?

Holy fuck man!!!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V

Go take a shower.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
33 clip magazines for the win!   :)

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Something that can't be accurately measured is the many times a person uses a gun to defend his or her-self but nobody gets shot.  Firearms are a great deterrent and just presenting one will often make an attacker immediately flee.  Nobody ever talks about that and it seriously skews all the statistics.  All the "it's more dangerous to own a gun" stats are bullshit.  Absolutely wrong.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Straw really took it on the chin in this thread. 

Twaddle

• Getbig V

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

damn, along with being a moron (did you even read this thread?) you really are a raging closet case

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
damn, along with being a moron (did you even read this thread?) you really are a raging closet case

You got schlonged pretty bad not knowing a damn thing about firearms

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

like I said previously, you're a flaming closet case who obviously didn't even read this thread

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert

The ones who know the least are often the ones with the most to say on this topic.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
A reliable 38, or even a 41 is all anyone really needs for protection.   ???

chaos

• Getbig V
A reliable 38, or even a 41 is all anyone really needs for protection.   ???
Or an AR15 with a 33 round clip magazine.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!